Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA What's the Point?

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Why do I bring this up? 

Well, when it comes to gaming and especially the MMO circuit key features and gameplay can make or break the worthiness of a game. Whether it be network connectivity, PvP features, PvE features, or overall game-killing bugs. These things need to properly be discussed. If you're not able to properly discuss key features with people who are interested in the game how can you properly come up with fixes or improvements?

Now, lets talk in the realm of reality and look at it from a consumer standpointWe all know it's suppose to be a legal contract that a person is not able to discuss any key features about the game whether it be the seamless world vs. heavily zoned or if it's another feature that might be a game-killer; you're not allowed to discuss it with anyone outside the guidelines of the contract. However, we can thoroughly say this information is still leaked regardless of the NDA contract.

It's more an issue for  the game company.

If they really want to keep things as quiet as they can then these open betas are not the way to do it. Heck, a "closed beta" isn't even the way to do it if it's opened to anyone to submit and test.

They should know this.

Secondly, I look, at it as "you are as good as your word". They say "we would like testers to test but we don't want people to discuss things outside the testing enviroment as we would like to address these issues withotut having to do needless damage control. We only want testers who can do this. Can you do this?

And you say yes or no. If you can't do it then don't do it. Simple as that. But some testers just can't keep it in their pants. So the onus is on the game company.

Either get professional Q&A people or live with the consequences of leaks.

As far as the testers go, you can and should discuss things on the "Beta Tester Forums".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The NDA used to be honored much more but that was in the days before they started charging for beta......I think once people start paying the feel entitled to talk.
  • D3Perfecto93D3Perfecto93 Member Posts: 14
    As a beta tester I respect the NDA and the company that made the game so please don't sign up for the beta if you are questioning the people about "NDA What's the Point?".
  • TerrornautTerrornaut Member UncommonPosts: 25

(where is my formatting? o_O) Jesus christ, and I thought I was paranoid.

The crazed amount of ignorance on the subject being some kind of scheme is mindblowing.
    Are you all saying both Everquests, Original WoW, and plenty of other games are completely bad? Or do you just not know that an NDA was used for company privacy, for creative wiggle room for developers, and to increase a games tester base without letting things get out of hand?

What do you think in house QA testers have to do?

Its threads like these that highlight how batshit insane the mmo community can be. I CANT TALK TO MY FRIENDS ONLINE OR POST SCREENSHOTS AND VIDEOS TO YOUTUBE???!! WAHHH. Come on, life existed before mass media.

And besides, if someone working on a project stops and asks, 'hey, can you come take a look at this without telling people about it for now?' you'd seriously have that hard of a time being respectful? I write, draw, and paint, and if a friend or a loose associate ran off after taking a picture while I wasn't even halfway through my work to know it is going to change, you can bet I'd be pissed, and someone would have some shit to deal with.

The point is to keep private until a PUBLIC showing, unless there is some part of the agreement that says 'you can't talk about THIS BIG PART' but can trickle out a controlled view and perspective with their approval.