Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help deciding mmo (poll - Rift, Tera or GW2)

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

if you are willing to pay sub, then imo Rift is your number 1 choice.

between tera and gw2 imo go for tera. better combat system and most of all, NOT A FRIEND WITH EVERY1 in the open world. yes you can and be killed out there and this is the reason i dont play gw2 anymore and i wont came back untill such an option gets in the game. at least for the guilds you are in war with. this is GUILD WARS ffs...

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

If you have other responsibilities in life you cannot go wrong with GW2.

It provides quick access to all facets of the game with minimal commitment.

However, you are rewarded by investing even small amounts of time in researching the meta.  If you are a person who enjoys continually improving your gameplay over time, GW2 is the best and most rewarding.

EDIT:  Voted GW2 obviously, but I believe you would have fun in Rift as well.

• memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 23

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided to go with Tera first and see where I go from there. Tera was last on % from people on this forum but the comments and other forums have helped make my choice a little easier. 

A very nice community on this forum. Thanks again :-) 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Rift is a solid PvE game with proper endgame.  It's the only of the 3 that meets that criteria.   If you're more into PvP, one of the other game is probably better.

You can also try TSW - really great PvE themepark game.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Manolios

between tera and gw2 imo go for tera. better combat system and most of all, NOT A FRIEND WITH EVERY1 in the open world. yes you can and be killed out there and this is the reason i dont play gw2 anymore and i wont came back untill such an option gets in the game. at least for the guilds you are in war with. this is GUILD WARS ffs...

This always makes me laugh, because realistically, the combat systems between GW2 and TERA are nearly identical (minus the prevailance of animation lock in TERA). It's a shame this isn't allowed to be talked about much on these forums, but GW2 has a widely known mod that literally makes the game play just like TERA (by doing nothing more than switching around a few keybindings, and adding a retical).

As for open world PvP, if that's all you're looking for, I'd probably go with Rift over TERA. TERAs got ganking for sure, but it's also tied to a political system (in which the open PvP can, and often does, get turned OFF). I play TERA off and on now that it's free, and honestly the PvP in that game is nowhere near what it was at launch. It's mostly battlegrounds now, with a few random PK fights here and there, or the occasional guild battle.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I've played all 3 and., IMHO, they are all crap.  You can do better with most other AAA games.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by arieste

Rift is a solid PvE game with proper endgame.  It's the only of the 3 that meets that criteria.   If you're more into PvP, one of the other game is probably better.

You can also try TSW - really great PvE themepark game.

Actually, TSW is a good suggestion for PvE. The game doesn't have a ton of longevity, but it's a really enjoyable ride for the story.  The lore of the game is pretty interesting, and it's a fun game to get lost in for about a month. I also think it's F2P now? Unless I'm wrong about that.

Originally posted by Skooma2
    I've played all 3 and., IMHO, they are all crap.  You can do better with most other AAA games.

Suggestions?

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

Taking into account the changes made to ftp model's for certain game's,my list of game recommend's (strictly mmo and no arpg) would look like this.

1) TSW

2) EQ2

3) Lotro

4) Tera

5) Rift

6) GW2

7) Swtor

I base this off playing said game's and the experience they offer,plus the btp/ftp value I feel they offer.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by aesperus

This always makes me laugh, because realistically, the combat systems between GW2 and TERA are nearly identical (minus the prevailance of animation lock in TERA). It's a shame this isn't allowed to be talked about much on these forums, but GW2 has a widely known mod that literally makes the game play just like TERA (by doing nothing more than switching around a few keybindings, and adding a retical).

Having played both that is not even remotely true.

If it were I'd be playing GW2 hands down. As it stands I regularly log into Tera and Occasionally log into GW2.

edit, but ok, i'm game. Please tell me this "mod" (really? a "mod"?) so I can try it out for myself. If I find that it is as you say, nearly identical, I would be more than happy to come back and state as much.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I played all three of the games. I guess I played them all about the same long too.

If I'd be you, I'd try Tera first, simply because it's free to play. Tera has also the best combat system of all those games, and if you like korean MMORPGs, regarding the art style, it's for you anyway. So try that first, it's free, for as long as you like it.

In the end though, I guess all are equally good.

GW2 god some massive PvP battles (when I played it, dunno if that's still the case), and a lot of starting zones and stuff. Rift on the other hand was very straight forward, with very few starting zones. But both were somewhat similiar. Sure, fans of either game will have dozens of arguments why one is much better than the other, but in the end they're both fantasy theme park MMORPGs that have a lot in common.

I'd probably try Rift second, with that "play until level 20" thing or what it was.  Then you can decide whether to continue it.

If you disliked Tera and Rift, then just go for GW2.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Played all three game as well. 

GW2>Rifts>everything else. 

I played rifts for a long time. But eventually I got tired of raids and faction farming. Rifts is a newer, shinier version of WoW, which I loved. But it got old after so many years. GW2 for me is a fresh take on the genre with great combat and a good look. If you can get past the disappearance of the trinity it is really a great time. Can't really go wrong with either game. 

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    None of the 3  listed games Imop,play EQ2.Best MMO ever made.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Much of the choice depends on OP's taste in combat.  GW2 is faster and smoother (no animation lock/self rooting) than TERA but TERA has aiming.  If OP is looking for WoW style, stand face to face with the mob, go for Rift

I'm not a fan of TERA's anime setting.  Also TERA and Rift are burdened with linear quest hub leveling paths with no alternative leveling path.  These are complete game breakers for me.  GW2 has some issues, but nothing near are crippling as linear quest hub leveling with no alternate path.

I've kept busy in GW2 with alts as there are so many leveling paths and no "required" mind numbing quests.  The game improves in the later zones as the heart quests go away and it's more DE focused.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Out of the three, either Tera or Rift.  GW2 will feel ok for the first 30 levels and gets stale and bland as you keep doing the same things over and over with the same abilites and now that the population has died down the events are not close to fun as you are in zones with 3-4 other people.  

If you are super casual and play 5 hours a week then I would go with GW2, if not go with the other games as they have more content and generally better overall as MMOs.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Sovrath

If it were I'd be playing GW2 hands down. As it stands I regularly log into Tera and Occasionally log into GW2.

edit, but ok, i'm game. Please tell me this "mod" (really? a "mod"?) so I can try it out for myself. If I find that it is as you say, nearly identical, I would be more than happy to come back and state as much.

The mod is nice, I used it but it still doesn't feel like TERA, your attacks feel powerless and the removal of rooting turns GW2 into a spam everything off cooldown fest. There's also no active blocking, only dodging that every class gets, no staggers either.

No designated roles also ruins the game for me and last but not least cant forget the downed state.

TERA/GW2 are miles apart in terms of combat, that mod brings them a bit closer but they are still far apart.

GW2 is a better game but TERA is a better MMO and has better combat, TERA has actual gear/skill progression and endgame, GW2 doesn't. GW2s combat is also very standard, just the addition of a dodge on every class, not very innovative.

In the end I played GW2 for just over a month or 350 hours, I've got 1500 hours played  in TERA and have been playing over a year if you include BETAs. In GW2 I had two 80s in the best gear in just 350 hours and was basically at the PvP skill cap on both, in TERA i've got one 60 and a few alts in the 20-50 range and my main character still isn't in the best gear. The first 8 months was spent mastering my class in OWPvP/duels/GvG and only recently have I managed to gear up to a respectable level.

After around 1200 hours played on a single character I still feel my skill and awareness level can be improved in PvP. In TERA you need to know what every single skill does and what it's animation is and you have to know enemy classes combos, you need to know what to interrupt, dodge, block or stagger. When to knockdown, when not to knockdown, when to stun, etc. 

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

IMO both EQ2 and LOTRO are better themeparks than Rift or TERA.  GW2 is kind of unique and polarizing, I would B2P GW2 and f2p eq2 (or LOTRO, but I think EQ2 is better and faster to get into).  If you decide you like EQ2 better than GW, sub to EQ2.

Add EQ1 and Vanguard to this list - there are two progression servers at the darkhollow(lvl70 cap) era in EQ1 if catching up on 18 expansions seems too lengthy - and frankly EQ1 has the best raiding of any MMO still to this day. If you're after endgame with solid raid content I advise EQ1 or Vanguard, although EQ2 and LoTRO are both decent options as well.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Originally posted by Brialyn

I know GW2 won, and it is certainly a game worth playing, but I can't help but recommend Tera myself.  I started Tera thinking I would never enjoy it and I can't help but love it! It's not perfect but what game is? 

Certainly try the other two, especially GW2, but I think Tera would surprise you :D

Same feelings here :)

Originally posted by Sovrath

What you play regularly is irrelevant. They literally function almost exactly the same. I'm talking about mechanics here, NOT aesthetics. After all the lack of an animation lock in GW2 is a big deal to some people, and as shown in one of the subsequent posts in this same thread, some people feel that animation lock adds more of a sense of 'impact' that they don't get from GW2.

Unfortunately, as I've stated, I literally CAN'T tell you what the mod is. Last time I tried pointing out the mod (on these forums) I got an infraction for 'promoting 3rd party programs'. This site won't let you even mention that it exists, it considers that 'promotion'. It is a fairly popular mod, and has been mentioned quite frequently on forums like Reddit, and the GW2 devs have even made posts hinting that they are fine with it.

That said, the combat does function exactly the same. If you aren't using TAB in GW2, where your cursor is aiming chooses your target (same as TERA) and firing an ability goes towards that location (again, just like TERA). TERA's defaults hide this much better than GW2, but the mechanics are all there. The biggest difference between the 2, (besides default settings) is that TERA focuses much more heavily on animation locks, whereas GW2 focuses on animation smoothing.

If you wanna try it out, PM me, and that should be okay.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

The mod is nice, I used it but it still doesn't feel like TERA, your attacks feel powerless and the removal of rooting turns GW2 into a spam everything off cooldown fest. There's also no active blocking, only dodging that every class gets, no staggers either.

No designated roles also ruins the game for me and last but not least cant forget the downed state.

TERA/GW2 are miles apart in terms of combat, that mod brings them a bit closer but they are still far apart.

GW2 is a better game but TERA is a better MMO and has better combat, TERA has actual gear/skill progression and endgame, GW2 doesn't. GW2s combat is also very standard, just the addition of a dodge on every class, not very innovative.

This is somewhat misleading. There IS active blocking in both games. And, just like TERA, GW2's blocking is dependant on class. Certain classes in TERA can't block, just as certain classes in GW2 can't block. However, it's active in both games (same as dodging). Biggest difference between the two, is that TERA lets you literally spam block abilities, GW2 does not. Some classes can block a lot more frequently (guardian, engineer), others not so much (mesmer, ranger, warrior).

Both games also have designated roles, but the roles are different.

GW2 focuses more on combat types, TERA focuses more on the traditional trinity.

In short, the combat from both games is actually a lot more alike than most people want to admit. The primary difference is that TERA caters towards the more traditional MMO mindset, whereas GW2 takes a more unique approach to classes and combat.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

My Choices:

1. Gw2(Played on an off since launch) - Amazing art style plus great graphics/sound etc. Huge battles, level scaling, dynamic events, shared loot, way less grind until endgame. For 60$ there is no better value out there. Anet puts out an update with new content every month.. on par with Trion. WvWvW, Battleground are great fun an no more or less meaningful then pvp in any other game imo. Active dodging, no mana, constantly able to change how each class plays, complex builds, good amount of gear options.. and... I really like the classes. Some Dungeons require alot of communication and planning to be done correctly. Gw2 feels full, not shallow, immersive and casual at the same time.

2. Tera(Played for 3 months at launch) Amazing Combat, stunning graphics, decent classes, fun dungeons.. end game is meh. The thing that keeps this game down is boring ass questing and a hollow world with no thought or meaning put into it.

3. RIft(Played for 2 months at launch) Great classes and class combinations, Fun dungeons an pvp, decent endgame or so ive heard, housing. Poor art style and character models/creation. Boring WoW style combat. In fact the game is just WoW 2.0 effectively being a complete WoW clone.. which could be a good or a bad thing depending on preferance an taste. Personally I loved WoW, but Rift just didnt have the charm the WoW... and now GW2 have. If they fixxed the character models I might play it again, but thier art department is horrible on all fronts imo. They have innovated alot since launch an have an amazing team dedicated to putting out content super fast.

Realistically if Guild Wars 2 had WoW style raids and progession. ON TOP of what it has allready.. it might be the most addictive game around..

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Personally I would skip all 3 and play Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. The graphics may be a bit oldschool but it's been out for a long time, has one of the best f2p models out there, and personally I find it more enjoyable than any other mmo thats come out in a long time with its 15 different classes, hundreds of open world nonlinear dungeons, numerous raids, and best crafting system I've ever seen not to mention diplomacy if you get into that as well.

That being said Rift got old real fast for me and Tera just wasn't all that appealing. The combat system was interesting but it was to much of your typical asian style mmo for my liking. I still play GW2 off and on, it just got old fast since after lvl30 or so nothing really changes at all except for the areas you can explore, and once you've explored the whole world a bit with a toon it got to be pretty blah. Only thing left was tons of grinding for nothing more than fashion to play dress up with your toons unless you get into the PVP real hardcore. Even with the PVP theres no progression either though other than more fashion grinding in sPVP and simply trying to win for your server in WVW.

Originally posted by memphis12

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided to go with Tera first and see where I go from there. Tera was last on % from people on this forum but the comments and other forums have helped make my choice a little easier. 

A very nice community on this forum. Thanks again :-) 

good choice i would say, if you add that you have nothing to loose if you dont like it. not the 60$ of gw2 or 35$ + some months of subbing in rift.

Originally posted by Maelzrael

My Choices:

1. Gw2(Played on an off since launch) - Amazing art style plus great graphics/sound etc. Huge battles, level scaling, dynamic events, shared loot, way less grind until endgame. For 60$ there is no better value out there. Anet puts out an update with new content every month.. on par with Trion. WvWvW, Battleground are great fun an no more or less meaningful then pvp in any other game imo. Active dodging, no mana, constantly able to change how each class plays, complex builds, good amount of gear options.. and... I really like the classes. Some Dungeons require alot of communication and planning to be done correctly. Gw2 feels full, not shallow, immersive and casual at the same time.

2. Tera(Played for 3 months at launch) Amazing Combat, stunning graphics, decent classes, fun dungeons.. end game is meh. The thing that keeps this game down is boring ass questing and a hollow world with no thought or meaning put into it.

3. RIft(Played for 2 months at launch) Great classes and class combinations, Fun dungeons an pvp, decent endgame or so ive heard, housing. Poor art style and character models/creation. Boring WoW style combat. In fact the game is just WoW 2.0 effectively being a complete WoW clone.. which could be a good or a bad thing depending on preferance an taste. Personally I loved WoW, but Rift just didnt have the charm the WoW... and now GW2 have. If they fixxed the character models I might play it again, but thier art department is horrible on all fronts imo. They have innovated alot since launch an have an amazing team dedicated to putting out content super fast.

Realistically if Guild Wars 2 had WoW style raids and progession. ON TOP of what it has allready.. it might be the most addictive game around..

agree, but in its current state it doesnt, so its just an ok, casual game :)

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by Purutzil

Guildwars 2... Eh... lets just say it was highly over-rated and one of the weakest AAA games I've played at launch since vanguard, without even having high expectations for it. Try it if you really really want (should give it a chance) but I'd recomend against paying for it else it will likely be gathering dust.  All i can say since you do seem to like dungeons/group play is dungeons are a HUGE mess in their resistance to a trinity, which forces a new kind of trinity which still makes it a mess. No amount of skill can really do much except prevent you from fully wiping. Combat in the game you are definently going to find weaker then Tera or even Rift in terms of both complexity and challenge.

Wow did you even play Gw2?
    Ok there is a soft trinity in gw2 my guard is a great tank. it all depends on your skill and build imo ele's are one of the best healers in the game but if your running Dmg gear heals will be shit. Arah is fun as hell you need to work as a team or ppl gunna die. thats how most of them are. tera is fun but the action combat is not near as good as gw2. how can you say your game has action combat but yet you cant move and cast skills. imo tera is a good time killer but i wouldnt make it my mmo. i didnt get into rift to much it was a really polished game but it was such a wow clone my wow burn out carried over to rift so i couldnt stick with it. but yea guild wars doesnt have a carrot on a stick so you have to set your own goals. i enjoy it still been playing since launch but yea if i wasnt working for legendary and having fun playing with my frinds who knows i might have left already