Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I am excited about Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont even care if this game will be close to Skyrim or not, there's many good games out there that are nothing like Skyrim. My point being, I just care about the game being solid and fun to play, and that it has the lore at acceptable place.

There's also good examples of games like original Fallouts to Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is nothing like the earlier games and they rock, as an all time Fallout series fan I actually like the new style better. Games definately DO NOT have to stick with some certain gameplay style till the end of the world.

I'm more curious about the longevity, what have they come up with there? Will it be just dungeons and raids (yawn) or have they managed to come up with other kinds of content too?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Im all for opinions and discussions. But you have clearly said you hate the game, you hate the company, you will not play, you wont sign up for beta. You have said very clear you have a MMO you love and a guild you will be sticking with. You are not here to discus anything. You are here just to hate. Saddly only thing I can think your trying to do is drive people away to try and make this game fail. You hate the game this much so talking to you is pointless other then to call you out on your hate. 

LOL did you copy paste this reply from another thread becasue I answered the same post with a big reply which, for the 3rd time now you have chosen to ignore.  

Not even going to bother replying to you, you are a troll, an ignorant one at that!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I dont even care if this game will be close to Skyrim or not, there's many good games out there that are nothing like Skyrim. My point being, I just care about the game being solid and fun to play, and that it has the lore at acceptable place.

There's also good examples of games like original Fallouts to Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is nothing like the earlier games and they rock, as an all time Fallout series fan I actually like the new style better. Games definately DO NOT have to stick with some certain gameplay style till the end of the world.

I'm more curious about the longevity, what have they come up with there? Will it be just dungeons and raids (yawn) or have they managed to come up with other kinds of content too?

I agree... Warcraft became WoW, Mario went 3D you do need to grow with the market. As for what to do, lots to do in the elder game. This is where a lot of MMOs fail. They dont really start development of the elder game till neare the end of development, close to release and it shows badly. I really hope they have just as many people working on the elder game right now as they do on the game itself. As for dungeons... whats wromg with dungeons? I love a good dungeon crawl.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the world who is a fan of every Elder Scrolls game (Morrowind being my fav) and also a fan of DAoC (the best mmorpg to date imho).

I think Matt's influence (and the subsequent daoc influence) is neccessary in regard to playability and stability. We all (presumably) love the ES games, but cmon.... They are bug-riddled, glitchy messes (and I say this lovingly, as I have loved every game).

Do you really want to translate that level of glitchiness to a mmorpg? Yikes.

Formulas that work well for single-player games do not necessarily work for games where hundreds of people are playing together. Skyrim is impressive, but no one can say it's not buggy.

I am not sure if anyone here remembers the launch of DAoC, but it was easily the most polished, bug-free launch of a mmorpg like ever. I know people dont want their Elder Scrolls to get Camelotted, but in the overall scheme of things, having a team experienced at releasing stable mmos is a good thing, and having a team experienced at releasing mmos that are BENCHMARKS for the genre is a great thing. I am not employing hyperbole when I say "benchmark," either. If you never played it, you have no idea.

ES VI will still come, after all, and we will all love it :)

So cheers to you, OP. It certainly seems like Zenimax is well on the way to delivering a positive evolution of the mmorpg genre. Will it freak us out with innovation? Probably not. Will it have awesome ES lore and kick ass AvA combat designed by veterans of the genre? Probably so.

I don't get the freak outs. This is why we can't have nice things.

Well there is using a design style and there is going against established lore and gameplay.

Is the essence of a fallout game changed when moving from 2 to 3? Not really, you can still explore everywhere and the feel is still the same, just the graphics and gameplay have been updated. But moving from TES to TESO you are losing the freedom to choose a faction/guild (as in mages, thieves guild not player run) losing the ability to freely roam the world (there are invisible borders, not borders denoting the edge of the game world, but borders denoting the edge of where you are allowed to go in that faction), losing the ability to freely choose your skills (TES games always hasd classes but they were optional guildelines not hardcoded).

While I do concede that the game doesn't have to stick with the same gameplay, usiall they deviate to the point where the changes made are understandable if not entirely desired. But the changes to TESO are just uneccessary.

You do not need to have classes to have 3 fation PvP.

You do not need to lock races to a faction for 3 faction PvP.

You do not need to restrict exploration for 3 faction PvP.

The problem is, 3 faction PvP is ALL they are thinking about in their design. They are not asking "How can we fit 3 faction PvP into the TESO game" but "How can we fit TESO into this 3 faction PVP game".

If you are happy with it then I am sure you will be happy with it but it isn't really going to be closer to Skyrim then any other MMO. While I hate games like Mortal Online and DF they are far closer to what a Skyrim MMO should or could have been (although i wouldn't want FFA PvP as the default design but one of the options. My prefered way would be an Open world with PvP only taking place between factions or guilds).

As for longevity this is an unknown. So little information about the PvP has been release it is hard to judge. I hear the combat is pretty cool, very similar to Skyrim in feel which if true is great news. Dungeons, quests and all the rest is very lacking in details.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by bill4747
    Originally posted by Allymishka

Bill4747 I think you will get the game you are anticipating, so many of these twats putting you down probably havnt even spent the time researching hard facts about whats going to be included so you can disregard there sh!t, they just listen to each other and then go off ranting like they know it all, but if you look deep into what people say who have played the game are saying I think you will get the game your looking for. Obviously the hotbar makes it differ from Skyrim but the lack of "auto attack" and block not being a percentage chance will mean it will feel very much like skyrim in combat. I like being able to fight weapons with my mouse and use hot keys to fire off magic etc, for me it makes for a much faster paced version of skyrim!

And yes instanced dungeons do take away from immersion a bit but hey, at least they are offering public dungeons which is better than some current mmos and i have a feeling that content out side of a dungeon is not JUST going to be for soloing like so many games do these days (which is somthing I really dont like) so I think there will be plenty of group content out of dungeons and that nervous feeling crossing regions yet explored with hard mobs that would kick your butt, (but with a group at the same level you could take them down) that for me is a big part of immersion in an MMO, makes me think of crossing Nek Forest in EQ1 :p

I cant wait for it to come out mate and my thoughts are exactly the same as yours! Keep looking into the features and researching and there is nothing wrong with dreaming!

I'll see you in the world mate.

Thanks!

I actually wanted a hotbar in Skyrim; easier to manage spells with a hotbar :)

The key point I was trying to make was that it wil be closer to skyrim online than any other mmorpg, not that it would be 100 percent like skyrim.

I remain optimistic.

Just the fact ESO will allow mages to wear plate is a huge positive sign.

I really love the idea of leveling up skills as well. Thats something I have always wanted to do in a MMO.

You level up skills in almost every MMO, how is that new or even an "idea" ?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by PerfArt
    Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the world who is a fan of every Elder Scrolls game (Morrowind being my fav) and also a fan of DAoC (the best mmorpg to date imho).

I think Matt's influence (and the subsequent daoc influence) is neccessary in regard to playability and stability. We all (presumably) love the ES games, but cmon.... They are bug-riddled, glitchy messes (and I say this lovingly, as I have loved every game).

Formulas that work well for single-player games do not necessarily work for games where hundreds of people are playing together. Skyrim is impressive, but no one can say it's not buggy.

I am not sure if anyone here remembers the launch of DAoC, but it was easily the most polished, bug-free launch of a mmorpg like ever. I know people dont want their Elder Scrolls to get Camelotted, but in the overall scheme of things, having a team experienced at releasing stable mmos is a good thing, and having a team experienced at releasing mmos that are BENCHMARKS for the genre is a great thing. I am not employing hyperbole when I say "benchmark," either. If you never played it, you have no idea.

So cheers to you, OP. It certainly seems like Zenimax is well on the way to delivering a positive evolution of the mmorpg genre. Will it freak us out with innovation? Probably not. Will it have awesome ES lore and kick ass AvA combat designed by veterans of the genre? Probably so.

Talking about a well established design team but isn't this their first project?

Originally posted by FromHell

Bill4747 I think you will get the game you are anticipating, so many of these twats putting you down probably havnt even spent the time researching hard facts about whats going to be included so you can disregard there sh!t, they just listen to each other and then go off ranting like they know it all, but if you look deep into what people say who have played the game are saying I think you will get the game your looking for. Obviously the hotbar makes it differ from Skyrim but the lack of "auto attack" and block not being a percentage chance will mean it will feel very much like skyrim in combat. I like being able to fight weapons with my mouse and use hot keys to fire off magic etc, for me it makes for a much faster paced version of skyrim!

And yes instanced dungeons do take away from immersion a bit but hey, at least they are offering public dungeons which is better than some current mmos and i have a feeling that content out side of a dungeon is not JUST going to be for soloing like so many games do these days (which is somthing I really dont like) so I think there will be plenty of group content out of dungeons and that nervous feeling crossing regions yet explored with hard mobs that would kick your butt, (but with a group at the same level you could take them down) that for me is a big part of immersion in an MMO, makes me think of crossing Nek Forest in EQ1 :p

I cant wait for it to come out mate and my thoughts are exactly the same as yours! Keep looking into the features and researching and there is nothing wrong with dreaming!

Thanks!

The key point I was trying to make was that it wil be closer to skyrim online than any other mmorpg, not that it would be 100 percent like skyrim.

I remain optimistic.

I really love the idea of leveling up skills as well. Thats something I have always wanted to do in a MMO.

Its the depth of how they level. Its not your DD does more damage because your now level 10. Its adding new depths to the skill the more you use it. So your DD now level 10 so it has a dot added to it. Your DD is now level 20 so it Has a AE added to it. Thats not official but just to give you an idea. The devs have said they have a limited number of skills you can use on your hot bar so they wanted to make sure your skills have a lot of depth. You wont have a skill that gives you just a 30% snare and thats it, your skills will do many things as they level. 

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

Thanks!

I remain optimistic.

It may not be 'New' but I think the point is that ESO will have a skill system closer to skyrim than the typical mmorpg.

Ultima online, Darkfall, Eve, etc...have had skill systems that were pretty much take what you want.

But most mmorpgs have  a very rigid or limited skill selection.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

Well there is using a design style and there is going against established lore and gameplay.

Is the essence of a fallout game changed when moving from 2 to 3? Not really, you can still explore everywhere and the feel is still the same, just the graphics and gameplay have been updated. But moving from TES to TESO you are losing the freedom to choose a faction/guild (as in mages, thieves guild not player run) losing the ability to freely roam the world (there are invisible borders, not borders denoting the edge of the game world, but borders denoting the edge of where you are allowed to go in that faction), losing the ability to freely choose your skills (TES games always hasd classes but they were optional guildelines not hardcoded).

While I do concede that the game doesn't have to stick with the same gameplay, usiall they deviate to the point where the changes made are understandable if not entirely desired. But the changes to TESO are just uneccessary.

You do not need to have classes to have 3 fation PvP.

You do not need to lock races to a faction for 3 faction PvP.

You do not need to restrict exploration for 3 faction PvP.

The problem is, 3 faction PvP is ALL they are thinking about in their design. They are not asking "How can we fit 3 faction PvP into the TESO game" but "How can we fit TESO into this 3 faction PVP game".

If you are happy with it then I am sure you will be happy with it but it isn't really going to be closer to Skyrim then any other MMO. While I hate games like Mortal Online and DF they are far closer to what a Skyrim MMO should or could have been (although i wouldn't want FFA PvP as the default design but one of the options. My prefered way would be an Open world with PvP only taking place between factions or guilds).

As for longevity this is an unknown. So little information about the PvP has been release it is hard to judge. I hear the combat is pretty cool, very similar to Skyrim in feel which if true is great news. Dungeons, quests and all the rest is very lacking in details.

(((Dodges behind a rock)))) 

Your skill goes up +1 one in dodging hate posts

WOW that was close I almost read that.

Thanks!

I remain optimistic.

Its the depth of how they level. Its not your DD does more damage because your now level 10. Its adding new depths to the skill the more you use it. So your DD now level 10 so it has a dot added to it. Your DD is now level 20 so it Has a AE added to it. Thats not official but just to give you an idea. The devs have said they have a limited number of skills you can use on your hot bar so they wanted to make sure your skills have a lot of depth. You wont have a skill that gives you just a 30% snare and thats it, your skills will do many things as they level. 

nice! I did not know that

In the words of Nanfondle..

"Stop hating this game. You are just a hater. All you do is hate. How dare you hate this game, it can do nothing wrong!"

:)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Thanks!

I remain optimistic.

It may not be 'New' but I think the point is that ESO will have a skill system closer to skyrim than the typical mmorpg.

Ultima online, Darkfall, Eve, etc...have had skill systems that were pretty much take what you want.

well, whoopdee-frickin'-doo that's why I like EvE and Age of Conans Alternate Advancement sklls, as well as TSW skill wheel.

Would be nice if ESO takes some inspiration from these titles

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

nice! I did not know that

Ya I got stocked when the devs said that as well. I loved WoW in its day but after a while I did get sick of having 30-50 skills. IMO sometimes less is more.

Thanks!

I remain optimistic.

well, whoopdee-frickin'-doo that's why I like EvE and Age of Conans Alternate Advancement sklls, as well as TSW skill wheel.

I would like to think that designers take a serious look at other games.

It seems to me that there are a ton of good ideas ouy there to draw upon.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Great post!

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

I would like to think that designers take a serious look at other games.

It seems to me that there are a ton of good ideas ouy there to draw upon.

MMOs have been taking eachother ideas and making it their own sinse EQ1 made MMOs something to take note of. But that true of video games as well. Makes me laugh every time says WoW clone, WoW is a clone of EQ1 and EQ1 tooks its ideas from someone else. Its what smart devs do.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think  glitchiness and design decisions are two different things.

you can have a standard "tried and true" mmo that is glitchy as heck.

I do agree that not everything in an elder scrolls game would work in an mmo setting.

For instance, the idea of players constantly rolling hundreds of cheese wheels down on multiple passersby would be amusing for the first 2 seconds. After that it would be annoying.

There are players who wouldn't want to have thier things stolen. Though it could be done in a way where only npc's could have their stuff taken. However, it would be beyond ridiculous to have a few NPC's being stalked by 100 thieves. Or you break into a house only to find 50 other players there.

Stupid things like that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    @Maelwydd: yes this is their first project as this particular dev team. It is not the first project that members of the team has ever worked on. For example, Zenimax's president was a huge part of developing a mmorpg that set the standard for meaningful rvr (ava, whatever.) Bethesda has great ideas and have created a GREAT setting (probably my favorite rpg setting outside of Planescape) but they need people who know how to make mmorpgs, and they have found them.

@Sovrath: agreed, and good points.

@Tuktz: thanks :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

No, you're not the only one. There are lots of us here who love both. I was also there at the very beginnning of DAoC (Guinevere, Albion... Ice/Earth Theurgist named...err... Iselin.) RvR was a revelation to me: PvP done right. A big part of that enjoyment ofr me was all the organization, planning and execution of complex plans to outwit the other factions and grab those relics.

And I fell in love with the TES franchise right from the original Arena... the game that Ultima Underworld gave us a taste of before Richard Garriot, in his "wisdom" decided to abandon 3D first person Ultimas and went back to his 2D development that ultimately (pun intended) led to that franchise's death. I've been a long time fan of both. TES and DAoC.

In this forum though, as soon as you admit being a fan of DaoC, the TESO-hating zealots will jump all over you for not being a true TES fan as defined by them. They constantly attempt to pigeonhole everyone into one of two camps.

Just look at the content of  thread called, of all things, "the hypocrisy of faction pride," where we're told that the faction pride that you and I and every other DAoC player knows existed apparently didn't...and if it did, apparently it had nothing to do with each faction having its own unique environment to PVE in. There are some who are so obsessed with having access to all the content in all the lands that they rage against design decissions made exactly for the purpose of attempting to bring back community pride in a faction--something sorely lacking in most modern MMOs, and attribute all kinds of weird motives to it: Zenimax doesn't know what they're doing, they're lazy, they're greedy...take your pick. According to them faction pride is just an excuse for some other nefarious hidden motive.

So yeah, I'm also very happy for the inclussion of DAoC elements in the MMO version of this great single player franchise.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

@Iselin: well-said and high-five! (played DAoC at launch as a Champ on Guin and have played and loved every ES game.)

You can make an even longer post about Faction pride if you want but simply put for me...

I cannot take pride in a faction I am forced into because of my racial choice.

• ThandrasThandras Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Name a unique, never been done in an MMO feature that TESO has....

Name a unique, never been done in an MMO feature that WoW has...

What has WOW got to do with my post?

What does your post have to do with the OP's post?  He didn't mention anywhere that he thought it was going to be innovative  unles my reading comprehension is not what it used to be.

Maelwydd: I can respect that, and kind of agree. It would make more sense lore-wise for factions to be available to be chosen by any race. They probably made the decision in order to balance things out and give factions definition (i.e. being able to recognize an enemy in the field of battle, etc.)

But I agree, in theory.
    Originally posted by Thandras

What does your post have to do with the OP's post?  He didn't mention anywhere that he thought it was going to be innovative  unles my reading comprehension is not what it used to be.

Ugg I hate explaining things that should be obvious but here goes...

OP says TESO will be closer to Skyrim then any other MMO.

But seeing as TESO isn't going to inovate or use anything that isn't already in use in other MMO's that position if clearly false and is just a biased opinion. If it isn't doing anything new then it cannot be any different form the other games it resembles. So if it has no more and no less of a resemblance to TESo then the satement from the OP is just opinion, very biased opinion.

My post was to point that out.

But if you have to explain....