Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So its B2P except on Xbox....

2»

Comments

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by fayknaym
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

Ugh, this again?  Why not just start a thread about how you hate Live Gold and skip masking the troll under something else?  If you have an xbox, and want to play online, you have to have a gold sub.  Even for the, otherwise, totally free Happy Wars.  In what fantasy land would this game suddenly fall under a different set of circumstances?

With that said, lets address how silly this REALLY is.  50$ a year.  $4.16 a month.  A cost which has, without question, gone to create the most successful of all the online and indie marketplaces for the consoles currently out.  A person COULD say that the PC is so much better because it is free, but its also a fat stack more expensive for the hardware.  Assume you get a full force 250 gig 360, thats about $300.  That much money won't even buy you the skeleton of a gaming PC.  You're going to approach, if not completely surpass, $1000 just to get a solid gaming rig and then you're going to have to maintain it. 

Using the figures, loose as they are, that I just gave you it would take 14 years of a gold sub before what you paid for your xbox even catches up to what you spent on your PC.  14 YEARS for gods sake.  All the while you can be reasonably sure every game you ever buy will work on it.  PC gaming comes with massive headaches.  You can have a beast rig only to discover that your particular video card, for all of its awesome, has a conflict with the game you wanna play and ruins the experience.  Because the hardware used in consoles is set in stone, developers working with them can optimize MUCH better for more reliable and stable game experience.

People who trash on MS for its live cost are either terrible at math or live in a dreamworld where PC gaming isn't a money sink of massive proportions.  Or the equally magical dreamworld where the other online services offered by current gen systems (I name current specifically because next gen is a great chance for new movement forward to happen and really redefine things for us) can even compare.  They can't.  I've used all current gen consoles.  None of them compare to XBL.  Especially not the Wii, ick....

I disagree about the cost. A well built gaming pc will last you for 5 years and practically the only thing you would need to upgrade, if you chose to do so, is your graphics card. I guess that would cost about the same as 5 years of xbox live. And there's really no need to go over 800 dollar range for your PC unless you want top end, which is unecessary for most people. Now let's look at it this way. You buy an xbox for $300. Ok that's fine, but you still need a computer don't you? For school, work, etc. Unless you're buying a bottom of the barrell PC for $200 - $300, you'll more likely need to spend $400 - $500. So instead of getting an xbox and a low end PC, why not just build a higher end PC for the price of both? So I don't think that it's fare to say PC gaming is much more expensive. Now most people probably already have some kind of PC so a console really is the cheaper alternative. But, I also think most people would buy a console for the particular games and features available to it such as xbox live rather than just because its cheaper. I don't think it be would too difficult for someone to save money for a few months to buy a PC rather than a console.

Regarding the OP, it is kind of silly that you would expect Defiance to be completely free to play on xbox live. That's just how it has always been on xbox. No matter what game you want to play, you have to pay the xbox live fee to play it online. 

Can you tell me the specs of this $800 PC that will easily last 5 years?

The biggest negative about a PC is it getting bogged down with other stuff because you will use it for other stuff not just gaming.

If you are doing no gaming at all on your PC you can very easily get something that is not horrible for around 300-400.

Building a good quality PC is more expensive, there is more you need to do to keep it in good condition too, lots of people do not want to invest that much in an entertainment device, they want to get home and turn it on and play. Consoles are for those people. A gaming PC is for enthusiasts.

The average joe doesn't even know what makes a PC good or not, these are the people buying computers at PC world and Walmart.

I bought that last year for about $545. I think now you could probably buy even better stuff for less now. That ssd is $110 now, but I bought it for $170. I already had a psu, cd drive and hd though. To account for those we can include a decent corsair psu for about $70 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply, hd for about $60  Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard and cd drive for another $16 LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM. Of course we need a good graphics card too for $200 SAPPHIRE 100355L Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. All together that adds up to be about $890, using the cheaper price for the ssd and no hd (not req) $770 . Boy that added up quickly haha. Well I guess you were right, including mouse/keyboard and OS lisence too it can cost up to about a $900-$1000.

But I do plan on this lasting me at least five plus years. Everything doesn't need to be on max 2-3 years from now. Even if I want to build a new PC I can salvage some parts from my old one. Anyway, my point was that to buy a low end PC and xbox with live gold for 5 years will cost about as much as the PC I built that can play all games.

• cartermaticcartermatic Member Posts: 53
    in case you didnt know.. sony is charging the same thing xbox is to play online with the ps4...

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by cartermatic
    in case you didnt know.. sony is charging the same thing xbox is to play online with the ps4...

No, it can't be .. These .. These LIES!!

• tzj2006tzj2006 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by fayknaym

Ugh, this again?  Why not just start a thread about how you hate Live Gold and skip masking the troll under something else?  If you have an xbox, and want to play online, you have to have a gold sub.  Even for the, otherwise, totally free Happy Wars.  In what fantasy land would this game suddenly fall under a different set of circumstances?

With that said, lets address how silly this REALLY is.  50$ a year.  $4.16 a month.  A cost which has, without question, gone to create the most successful of all the online and indie marketplaces for the consoles currently out.  A person COULD say that the PC is so much better because it is free, but its also a fat stack more expensive for the hardware.  Assume you get a full force 250 gig 360, thats about $300.  That much money won't even buy you the skeleton of a gaming PC.  You're going to approach, if not completely surpass, $1000 just to get a solid gaming rig and then you're going to have to maintain it. 

Using the figures, loose as they are, that I just gave you it would take 14 years of a gold sub before what you paid for your xbox even catches up to what you spent on your PC.  14 YEARS for gods sake.  All the while you can be reasonably sure every game you ever buy will work on it.  PC gaming comes with massive headaches.  You can have a beast rig only to discover that your particular video card, for all of its awesome, has a conflict with the game you wanna play and ruins the experience.  Because the hardware used in consoles is set in stone, developers working with them can optimize MUCH better for more reliable and stable game experience.

People who trash on MS for its live cost are either terrible at math or live in a dreamworld where PC gaming isn't a money sink of massive proportions.  Or the equally magical dreamworld where the other online services offered by current gen systems (I name current specifically because next gen is a great chance for new movement forward to happen and really redefine things for us) can even compare.  They can't.  I've used all current gen consoles.  None of them compare to XBL.  Especially not the Wii, ick....

I disagree about the cost. A well built gaming pc will last you for 5 years and practically the only thing you would need to upgrade, if you chose to do so, is your graphics card. I guess that would cost about the same as 5 years of xbox live. And there's really no need to go over 800 dollar range for your PC unless you want top end, which is unecessary for most people. Now let's look at it this way. You buy an xbox for $300. Ok that's fine, but you still need a computer don't you? For school, work, etc. Unless you're buying a bottom of the barrell PC for $200 - $300, you'll more likely need to spend $400 - $500. So instead of getting an xbox and a low end PC, why not just build a higher end PC for the price of both? So I don't think that it's fare to say PC gaming is much more expensive. Now most people probably already have some kind of PC so a console really is the cheaper alternative. But, I also think most people would buy a console for the particular games and features available to it such as xbox live rather than just because its cheaper. I don't think it be would too difficult for someone to save money for a few months to buy a PC rather than a console.

Regarding the OP, it is kind of silly that you would expect Defiance to be completely free to play on xbox live. That's just how it has always been on xbox. No matter what game you want to play, you have to pay the xbox live fee to play it online. 

Can you tell me the specs of this $800 PC that will easily last 5 years?

The biggest negative about a PC is it getting bogged down with other stuff because you will use it for other stuff not just gaming.

If you are doing no gaming at all on your PC you can very easily get something that is not horrible for around 300-400.

Building a good quality PC is more expensive, there is more you need to do to keep it in good condition too, lots of people do not want to invest that much in an entertainment device, they want to get home and turn it on and play. Consoles are for those people. A gaming PC is for enthusiasts.

The average joe doesn't even know what makes a PC good or not, these are the people buying computers at PC world and Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R24A9NJOLKEZH3/ref=cm_lm_pthnk_view?ie=UTF8&lm_bb=

Total cost: $755. I got a good deal at Microcenter and I believe they are still going. This will last 5 years. My previous rig lasted 5, had a nvidia 9600GT. I don't mess too much with overclocking. Assuming you have a monitor. As a reference I have a 46 inch HDTV which I bought for $899, so we'll assume here that you have a monitor.

And yes, this will last 5 years. And you can use it for other things and nothing will "slow it down" especially if you keep all your games on the SSD.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by cartermatic

That may not be true because the rumor you are quoting stated that you will be required to pay a subscription fee for MOST of the PS4's online services. With the streaming features and such coming into play with the PS4 I'm of the mind the subscription fee has more to do with that rather than Co-op/Multiplayer online gaming. 

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I pay ~4$ a month and have never, ever had any service outage effect me.

XBL has been a more reliable gaming service than... everything but LAN haha

I agree Spock and I actually pay less than $4 a month.A very popular online site had them for $39.99 for a 12 month card,so I bought 2.I'm now set until Dec.2014.About $3.33 a month,pretty good deal for everything it offer's and the performance/stability of the XBL system.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

PS+ is the best service ever. My $50 a year gets me so many free games its disgusting.

And ya, I bet what Sony is referring to is all the extra streamming stuff they are coming out with like apparently some hardcore PS4 to Vita streamming but we will see what happens. I have a hard time believing they will now suddenly go with the Xbox Live pay to play method.

It really isn't a lot of money but it just rubbed me the wrong way, especially with the Netflix thing since Microsoft is literally doing nothing to deserve money for that. Also, a lot of times I wont play games online for months at a time and then if I suddenly want to play one I have to pay for a month or pay for a year and then ultimately waste a lot of time I paid for. I like the Sony system better, free basic features then pay extra to get extras. I'm sure M$ could work something out similar.

Anything is better than Nintendo though...their online services are a joke. Actually their consoles are joke. Mario and Zelda still rock though.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by jbs4life

Gold used to be justifiable because Miscrosoft really did have the best online network available, but Sony has really stepped their shit up.  Not only do you not have to pay, but if you did decided you want to - you get a hell of lot more stuff.. like FREE games.

Really thinking about switching back to Sony this upcoming generation, unless Microsoft has some amazing product.

While I can agree with aspects of this sentiment, the main reason XBL wins this battle is due to much larger 3rd party support.  Simply put, more studios, both AAA and indie alike, are developing for that platform.  Part of that was its initial success and early player strength.  Part of that was Sony's blunders along the way and its large service failure a year or so back.  Part of it is funding helping to support it, some of which comes from the fee players pay for the service.  I mean, can people even buy the DLC for Skyrim on that system yet?  Maybe if Sony greased a few palms and helped pay for some of the porting (a choice that would probably help them gain some footing back) maybe it would have been sped up.  I would imagine that such a thing would be easier if they had the financial support of a paid service over a free one.

Other than Halo and gears of war i dont realy see any other reason to buy and xbox and I dont realy care for halo much just an average shooter to me, and gears of war are all very short games.  My online gaming on PS3 has been just fine and with PSN I get a lot of free games too such as street fighter 4 arcade edition.  Also there are better exclusives on PS3 imo.  Besides other than that PC saves me more money simply cuz i can pirate pretty much every game I want.

I'm sorry, I didn't actually convey exactly what I meant in that post.  You are speaking of actual physical copy (disc) releases compared on both sides.  What I meant to be discussing, and what platform I was talking about, was the actual LIVE platform.  The games being released on the XBLA and indie marketplaces.  The actual LIVE marketplace is a virtual horn of plenty in terms of how much developer support it gets.  There is absolutely nothing else like it in current gen consoles and part of the reason its had the success it has is due to MS being able to fund and support it better thanks, in part, to its gold sub.  I realize that the indie marketplace isn't always the best thing...but I can tell you I've bought at least 10 games on there for 1$ each that were worth well more than a dollar in terms of content and fun.  Hell, Penny Arcade even released their last rain slick on the indie market and it was fabulous.

I do realize that there is some overlap from the Arcade marketplace and PSN.  Some of the most major releases have gone cross platform.  Most of those went XBLA first, and for a very  long time.  Part of that is funding that MS passes to the developer to develop on that platform first.  While that might seem like a cheap, greased palm, move...you have to consider that those funds also help these guys make the game in the first place and recoup the costs they've already paid to make it.  It also helps that MS had the most user friendly and intuitive marketplace at first.  They've made several very good moves in earning their place in the console market.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I honestly LOLed when I heard you will need XBox live gold to play it online. I hope Microsoft is paying for their servers then or Trion is just getting bent over a barrel by Microsoft. I really didn't think they would require that, but I guess since theres no sub Trion couldn't avoid it like FFXI.

What a joke that gold account is.

What's bad about this? I don't have an Xbox and don't know what Xbox gold is. You're laughing but I still don't even understand why this is a bad thing. Care to enlighten?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I honestly LOLed when I heard you will need XBox live gold to play it online. I hope Microsoft is paying for their servers then or Trion is just getting bent over a barrel by Microsoft. I really didn't think they would require that, but I guess since theres no sub Trion couldn't avoid it like FFXI.

What's bad about this? I don't have an Xbox and don't know what Xbox gold is. You're laughing but I still don't even understand why this is a bad thing. Care to enlighten?

xbox live gold is a monthly fee membership required to play games in multiplayer online like halo or gears of war or any other game that has multiplayer mode on it.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

xbox live gold is a monthly fee membership required to play games in multiplayer online like halo or gears of war or any other game that has multiplayer mode on it.

And people who buy Xboxes aren't aware of this when they buy one?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

And people who buy Xboxes aren't aware of this when they buy one?

I just wonder if, since it's an MMO if Trion is getting a cut from Microsoft some how. Since isn't the whole thing the gold membership supposed to pay for is this more stable multiplayer with Microsoft servers or something? I doubt Microsoft is providing anything for Trion's MMO.

If I were Trion I would have charged a $5 sub fee on Xbox then they probably could have gotten around requiring gold like FFXI did. And then instead of  anyone upgrqading to gold to play Defiance would give their money to Trion instead. Or a $1 sub, I wonder how much it would have to be to avoid the Gold requirement.