Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WS goes F2P will you still play it?

13»

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I just dont see the value in P2P games anymore. 
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Derros

The value is, that you play on a level playingfield with everyone else, especially when we're talking about PvP.

I've not come across any F2P-title yet, that isn't Pay2Win in PvP.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Yalexy Originally posted by Derros I just dont see the value in P2P games anymore. 
    The value is, that you play on a level playingfield with everyone else, especially when we're talking about PvP. I've not come across any F2P-title yet, that isn't Pay2Win in PvP.
    That's not true at all.  The truth is around 2 days after the server opens no one is on a level playing field.  The advantage P2P offers is time as the main currency.  People with more time currency have the advantage.  That also works well for the developers since they can add in time sinks like raid and instance locks and other grinds to keep you playing longer.

I've not come across any monetized title yet that isn't pay2win period.  If a game is monetized people that pay have an advantage over those who don't.  In a sub-locked game those who pay and have more time have the advantage.  It's always been that way.

Time might be an advantage in a P2P-title, sure, but atleast people will have the possibility to be on par with everyone else.
    In a F2P-title the people with empty pockets are shafted right away tho.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Only going to play buy to play, been doing that most of my life, I like it way more than any other model.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Only way I would play it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Don't you DARE releasing WildStar as F2P, you got that NcSoft? 

And for the crowd who said that F2P is a good option : What was your most played F2P game? How was the .. chat if I may ask? The people who you played with? Or interact ? How much money you have spend in the cash shop? 

F2P games are games to pass the time till something good releases ( I am talking about players, not kids here ) . So now, when there is REALLY a game who is very promising , you ... want it to be F2P? But please, there is a link on this site and a button where says "Game List". Use it , and look for the ones with no monthly payment. ( Tip: almost all of them are F2P. Yey right? )

Thanks!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Actually I change my answer to only playing if its buy to play on ps4 or xbox720 , this pricing and time currency and p2win and blah blah blah ..... Its a huge turn off. Its better to not be involved.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Tayah
    No, I despise F2P and B2P mmo's. I've yet to play one that's worth a crap.

Same here :)

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Hate to break it to you, but if I was reading it correctly, the game was/is planned to be f2p at launch.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• leon09leon09 Member UncommonPosts: 51

I really hope its not F2P, at least here in the EU. These guys like to pass their games to Frogster/Gameforge which just milk the games for money while patching less and missing all the great events/deals of the US counter partner.

Im hoping for B2P with a useless cash shop like GW2 (which still to this day has nothing i want to buy except the first couple of bank slot which i paid for with in-game currency). Also in their PAX preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU they said their cash shop is going to be selling housing cosmetics (SIMs has proven this stuff sells so i think they can handle the B2P model nicely with their huge housing system they bringing to this game).

But if it goes to Frogster/Gameforge i will most likely skip this one, even tho im very interested in it. I can already imagine trying to get those guys to resolve a raid loot issue, a month or 2 would pass before you get a reply lol.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I know i will only play the first free month if its sub only. I've never liked the commitment of a subscription but I could be nice person and play more than the free month if the sub is cheaper or if it was Buy to Play instead. That applies to every upcoming mmo that proudly announces subscription only. If the game is good i would happily purchase the game and every expansion, but not the sub.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Hate to break it to you, but if I was reading it correctly, the game was/is planned to be f2p at launch.

But if you readed it correctly, care to share where you saw that? ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, at least for me, it's the opposite. It's not 'If it goes F2P will I still play it?', it's 'I probably won't play it unless it goes F2P'. I really don't get all the hate this site has for F2P games. People constantly throw around the concept of it being an inferior business model, but i have to see a legitimately good reasoning for why. It mostly just seems a case of 'my favorite games in the past were subscription based, therefor all good games are subscription based'.

Whether or not you enjoy the games, there have been a good number of recent MMOs that are F2P / B2P and are actually good games. The business model has little-no effect on any of these games, and has shown to yield the game more money than they probably would've had w/ a subscription based revenue model. I like being able to play multiple games, and a subscription would pretty much put a stop to that. I am interested in Wildstar, but I won't be playing it if it tries to demand all of my time over the other good games coming out in the near future.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm betting it will be B2P with Cash Shop. By all accounts, GW2 "proved" that model to be viable. Of course, there may be "premium" sub options as well.

I really don't care which payment model they choose. If the game is fun, I'll buy it and play it. If it stops being fun, I'll quit. There's no point in agonizing over the tiny details that I can't change anyways... image

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by aesperus

Honestly, at least for me, it's the opposite. It's not 'If it goes F2P will I still play it?', it's 'I probably won't play it unless it goes F2P'. I really don't get all the hate this site has for F2P games. People constantly throw around the concept of it being an inferior business model, but i have to see a legitimately good reasoning for why. It mostly just seems a case of 'my favorite games in the past were subscription based, therefor all good games are subscription based'.

Whether or not you enjoy the games, there have been a good number of recent MMOs that are F2P / B2P and are actually good games. The business model has little-no effect on any of these games, and has shown to yield the game more money than they probably would've had w/ a subscription based revenue model. I like being able to play multiple games, and a subscription would pretty much put a stop to that. I am interested in Wildstar, but I won't be playing it if it tries to demand all of my time over the other good games coming out in the near future.

Its not that we hate F2P if the game was acualy F2P Free means just that Free not P2W not limited game play and then if you want more of the game then you have to buy time or whatever the game offers to give you more quest or give you more area's to play in or give you ways to get better gear. No game is truly F2P Its not a honest approch to the gamer who thinks they are getting something for nothing.

At least with P2P or B2P it is more of a honest approch for the gamer and they know exactly what they are buying. No hidden fee's which buy the way many F2P game are made with hidden fee's in mind but the player wont find out until they acualy play the F2P game.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Waldoe
    Originally posted by fiontar

P2P is on the way out the door. Has there been a AAA P2P MMO that hasn't been forced to switch to F2P in the past three years? IMO, P2P is just the money grab from the suckers willing to pay box price AND a sub fee before the inevitable transition to F2P.

I would probably pass on the game even if it was B2P, because the overly cartoonish style is such a huge turn off. (If it had been in the CGI style of the trailers, I'd love it. However, it looks exactly like one would imaging WoW in Space would look. Same exact modeling and texture art style, to an absolute T).

So, at this point, it would need to be F2P od B2P @ $20 for me to even think of touching it. Too bad, because I was very interested in this game.

Lol p2p is not going anywhere. Peoples obession with f2p is unreal. There is nothing money grabbing about p2p. It's a business. They want to make money. Players are just cheap and want everything handed to them. P2p has struggled lately because no one has put out a product that has been good enough to keep players into it. That doesn't mean p2p is going anywhere. It means developers need to get it in their head that if they ship a rushed unfinished game it won't last.

P2P is going out the door because 99% of MMOs are not the "next WoW" and almost all of those games would be more successful and make more money over time with a B2P business model, than with a P2P model.

It looks like GW2 earned about as much revenue from gem store purchases in the last reported quarter as a game with 1.5 million monthly subscribers would have earned from sub fees in the same period of time. They are also selling a lot of copies of the game and growing player concurency rates 7 months after launch. What was the last MMO in the post WoW era that has been at the equivalent of 1.5 million subscribers and growing 7 months in?

Pretty much every AAA MMO launched in the last half dozen years that is till around in any real capacity has converted to F2P. By the time they get there, they've likely lost more than 75% of the people who purchased the game and never came back. Many of those people may have remained players if the game had just been B2P from the start. Games have been dying under a subscription fee that may have thrived under a B2P cash shop supported business model.

BTW, B2P isn't a "something for nothing" proposition. Many players end up paying more than $15 to support a game they enjoy, furthering future development and subsidizing the people who rarely, if ever, pay a cent. Trying to suggest that people who are proponents of B2P are moochers is just a way of trying to deflect from logic and the facts.

I'll say it again and I'd bet I'll be right, with in another 5 years subscription based MMOs will be near extinct because B2P will prove to be the superior business model and will allow games to thrive and be finacially successful that would have otherwise imploded under the pressures of trying to justify a monthly subscription fee.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I´d give it a try if would be buy to play, 29$ like TSW

Otherwise no

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by Derros

The value is, that you play on a level playingfield with everyone else, especially when we're talking about PvP.

I've not come across any F2P-title yet, that isn't Pay2Win in PvP.

I really dont play enough to bother with "keeping up with the Joneses"  even if I did, I really dont care.  I enjoy playing games with my guild, at my own pace.  I dont care if someone spends $30 to get an xp boost, or buys a ton more inventory, or a uber cool super awsome mount,good for them.  I might buy one of those things at some point, if I feel like it as well. 

As long as I can progress at a decent pace I dont care if people jump ahead of me, even in p2p games, there are always those people who take days and weeks off work, can work from home, dont work, stay up all night.  Things I usually cant do.

I just like my pve, staying "compeditive" to me, is meaningless.