Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most populated games at the moment

MeslasMeslas Member Posts: 13
Hi. What are the most populated games at the moment? Can you name me at least 5 games. Thanks.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

In the west (in no particular order):

WoW

GW2

EVE

SWTOR

Aion or TERA

In the east:

I don't know, but a few have a ridiculous amount of players.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well, I don't know about the numbers, but as fair as people playing, The one beta server AoW  is pretty packed. I've watch the populations exapand (Judging by the market) for one city to four. There are no ghost zones, plenty more cities to fill up, but you will never have to ask "Where is everyone?"

20 million in the east.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MeslasMeslas Member Posts: 13
    What about runes of magic?
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Meslas

Still the most populated western F2P game. Most people here wont consider that game at all because it was actually made as a F2P game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Still the most populated western F2P game. Most people here wont consider that game at all because it was actually made as a F2P game.

I consider it a game. But I was under the impression that it had ~ 300k people playing it in the west for whatever reason.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Runes of magic F2P? hahahahahahaha

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by colddog04

I consider it a game. But I was under the impression that it had ~ 300k people playing it in the west for whatever reason.

Nah, well over a million are playing it. They peaked around 4 million and dropped over the years but they released a large update not that long ago that got people playing again.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Okay, then if you can name the most populated F2P games at the moment.
  • ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

Man... AAA MMO's have sucked for so long now. Nothing good has came out since WoW killed the market years ago. 

WoW, bored of it long ago

GW2, lets not go there...

SWTOR, oh hell no

TSW, fugly combat

Aion, garbage end game with joke of a PvP system

EvE, fall asleep at the wheel, yawn

and then there is TERA, which to me is the only game really worth checking out at the moment.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think it just flies under the radar of the people here. If it isn't regularly advertised on this site, this crowd general doesn't know about it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think it just flies under the radar of the people here. If it isn't regularly advertised on this site, this crowd general doesn't know about it.

Most here know about it, they have just written it off after the lackluster launch. I'm in that group myself. 

As far as the current most populated AAA games go in the west in that order. 

WoW

GW2

Rift

EVE

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Right now most populated themepark MMOS are

WOW

GW2

Rift

Swtor

EQ2

STO (wondr why no one mentioned it, got a very nice population)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Most here know about it, they have just written it off after the lackluster launch. I'm in that group myself. 

WoW

GW2

Rift

EVE

Do Rift really have more players than EvE? Last time I saw EvE it standed at ~400k Western players (they got 100k new Chineses ones though) and I read that Rift had around 200k (which might be wrong).

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

wow ? gw2? rift? not even close

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty 2

World of Warcraft

StarCraft II

Battlefield

Guild Wars 2

SimCity 

Minecraft 

Dota 2

• ZoNEEZoNEE Member UncommonPosts: 31

Hello Kitty Online.

Habbo.

Clan Lord.

Graal Kingdoms.

Tibia.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

WoW

GW2

Rift

EVE

I wrote ROM off because it was one of the worst examples of P2W in a F2P title that I had experienced. (this was in the first 3 months post launch).  Not sure if it's changed since then (probably a lot) but I never looked back despite it being a decent theme park MMO at the time.  Can't say I know anyone playing it (vs titles such as EVE, WOW, GW2, etc).

Since it's hard to gauge population numbers in MMO's unless the company outright comes out and publishes them, you can never really tell who has the most populated games.

Better measures might be revenue figures or something.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Mivi

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty 2

World of Warcraft

StarCraft II

Battlefield

Guild Wars 2

SimCity 

Minecraft 

Dota 2

Thought this was about MMOs and not just the numbers you pull off xfire.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by f0dell54

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty 2

World of Warcraft

StarCraft II

Battlefield

Guild Wars 2

SimCity 

Minecraft 

Dota 2

Thought this was about MMOs and not just the numbers you pull off xfire.

The guy doesn't seem to know that wow is World of Warcraft and gw2 is Guild Wars 2 either...

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

OP asked: what is the most populated games at the moment? 5 names

xfire provide the most accurate data when you have to make a statistic of game population and so for years already

I can search other sources, inlude for the east market, but before I waste my time in such research, can you provide any source of your? or is just an empirical opinion? last, those are very famous acronymus please restrain yourself from such low insinuations and try to catch more<span alt-edited"=""> than one meaning in others' posts

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

OP asked: what is the most populated games at the moment? 5 names

xfire provide the most accurate data when you have to make a statistic of game population and so for years already

I can search other sources, inlude for the east market, but before I waste my time in such research, can you provide any source of your? or is just an empirical opinion? last, those are very famous acronymus please restrain yourself from such low insinuations and try to catch more<span alt-edited"=""> than one meaning in others' posts

Xfire is fine and all, but you can't really use it as a definitive source of a game's population, namely because it's a third-party program that only a certain subset of people will choose to install and run. I highly doubt that xfire's population is representative of most games' populations. Not that my own extremely limited experiences are relevant, but I don't use any tracking program nor do I know anyone who does.

Xfire, Raptr, Twitch, Steam, press releases, unofficial "census" sites, etc are all possible sources of this type of info... but all need to be taken with a grain of salt.

(Not to mention the concept of a game being "populated" is somewhat subjective, as well... a game with100k players spread across 1000 servers is going to look a lot more lonely than a game with 10k player on a single server.)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Population has to be one of the least important factors in how good a game is yet it seems to mean so much to so many people.....Its like eating at McDonalds because they post how many burgers they have sold....Then again the masses are like sheep and will go where the other sheep are at.
  • potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Population has to be one of the least important factors in how good a game is yet it seems to mean so much to so many people.....Its like eating at McDonalds because they post how many burgers they have sold....Then again the masses are like sheep and will go where the other sheep are at.

To be fair, it's not quite the same... since MMOs are generally some kind of longer-term commitment for people, it makes sense to want a populated game vs. one that has such a small population that it's on the verge of shutting down.

But yeah, beyond that, I agree with you. There are plenty of great games with smaller populations that people pass by for that reason alone... even though they almost definitely won't interact with 99+% of the people in whatever game they end up playing anyway.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

tough to judge with f2p these days...

If i had to guess, in the west Id say:

WoW

GW2 (top 2 are pretty indisputable)

EVE

SWTOR (tough one to judge, more than most credit it for, but how much more?  No worse than 4th but it might be third)

LOTRO (Definitely more than Rift/EQ2/AOC, but maybe not more than the recent f2p conversions)

TERA (For now, it will drop once f2p wears off)

TSW 

Rift

EQ2

AoC

DDO

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

FWIW (which isnt much), here is what xfire has to say about western MMORPGs:

WoW

GW2

SWTOR

TERA 

EvE

LOTRO

PS2 (if you count it)

STO

TSW

DCUO

are in the top 100

Rift is 101, AoC 106

Aion and FFXI are also in the top 100 but those numbers (as well as TERA) are helped out by eastern players.

Originally posted by Theocritus

Its not fun to play when you are alone in the game world.