Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Jacobs and Company - Please do not REQUIRE monthly fees to play.

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

He has already stated it will be subscription and doesn't care if he offends a few people.

stop posting these ugh

SIGNED.

I won't play F2P....never have, never will.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by sweetdigs
    DISAGREE!!Make it a monthly subscription.  No cash house.  No pay to win.  No pay to level past level 20. Just a flat monthly subscription so everybody is on equal footing. 
    This

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Ulorik
    Originally posted by Dimsum1337

DISAGREE!!

Make it a monthly subscription.  No cash house.  No pay to win.  No pay to level past level 20. 

Just a flat monthly subscription so everybody is on equal footing.

+1

I want my game churning out content like there is no tommorow so I want them to have the resources to do it full time. This is something I am willing to personally pay for. I think that games can be economically successful with a p2p model and moderate and steady subscription base. Gamewise I dont feel driven by the knowledge that 1 million other people are playing this game when even 20 000 makes for a large community. 

My 2 c 

p.s. It generally goes that most good things in life you have to pay for

I don't think you need a churn out of "content like there is no tomorrow" in a RvR centred game.

Generally I fully agree with a subscription model in a RvR game for all the above reasons.

However, if you think a bit outside of the box: Imagine a RvR game with several servers which could be tiered like you got it in football, i.e. Premier league, first division, second division and so on. You could play the game in seasons which last say 3 or 4 months. At the end of a season you would have an indicator measuring the performance of guilds on each server, best guilds of the three realms are matched and transfered to the Premier League server, the weaker ones to the first and second division servers etc. (and of course relegation and promotion at the end of each season). Firstly you would have a tool of balancing realms on the servers and therefore a better competition and game experience. Second you could charge for the game per season, bit like a Buy2Play model in installments. As a developer you would have a steady revenue stream which is in effect very similar to a subscription model but would have the additional benefit of creating server balance.

No it would kill the realm pride.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by morfidon

DISAGREE!!

Make it a monthly subscription.  No cash house.  No pay to win.  No pay to level past level 20. 

+1

I want my game churning out content like there is no tommorow so I want them to have the resources to do it full time. This is something I am willing to personally pay for. I think that games can be economically successful with a p2p model and moderate and steady subscription base. Gamewise I dont feel driven by the knowledge that 1 million other people are playing this game when even 20 000 makes for a large community. 

My 2 c 

I don't think you need a churn out of "content like there is no tomorrow" in a RvR centred game.

Generally I fully agree with a subscription model in a RvR game for all the above reasons.

However, if you think a bit outside of the box: Imagine a RvR game with several servers which could be tiered like you got it in football, i.e. Premier league, first division, second division and so on. You could play the game in seasons which last say 3 or 4 months. At the end of a season you would have an indicator measuring the performance of guilds on each server, best guilds of the three realms are matched and transfered to the Premier League server, the weaker ones to the first and second division servers etc. (and of course relegation and promotion at the end of each season). Firstly you would have a tool of balancing realms on the servers and therefore a better competition and game experience. Second you could charge for the game per season, bit like a Buy2Play model in installments. As a developer you would have a steady revenue stream which is in effect very similar to a subscription model but would have the additional benefit of creating server balance.

Explain ?!?

DISAGREE!!

+1

My 2 c 

Explain ?!?

When you meet with the same enemies you start to know them, you start to hate them / like them. When you change people on server again and again you don't know anybody. It was so cool to see deathspam coming from the guy you hate in the keep. It gave you a thrill that it might be hard to take it. If you changed the server you might not meet him again. People like to know not only your friends but also enemies.

You have the thing like you say in GW 2 - very similar i think. Well in GW 2 you feel like everyone. You don't remember enemies. You are almost 100% sure you wont meet again with them. There is no emotion.

DISAGREE!!

+1

My 2 c 

Explain ?!?

When you meet with the same enemies you start to know them, you start to hate them / like them. When you change people on server again and again you don't know anybody. It was so cool to see deathspam coming from the guy you hate in the keep. It gave you a thrill that it might be hard to take it. If you changed the server you might not meet him again. People like to know not only your friends but also enemies.

You have the thing like you say in GW 2 - very similar i think. Well in GW 2 you feel like everyone. You don't remember enemies. You are almost 100% sure you wont meet again with them. There is no emotion.

I agree to some point. I would still think that 3-4 months is a good time period to get to know your enemies, that guilds of similar quality would probably stay on the same server longer then one season, and that the benefits of balancing servers outweigh those negatives. (how much more enjoyable would the game be if you had the Hardcore guilds on one server and the casual or semi-casual on others)

However I can happily agree to disagree

DISAGREE!!

+1

My 2 c 

Explain ?!?

I agree to some point. I would still think that 3-4 months is a good time period to get to know your enemies, that guilds of similar quality would probably stay on the same server longer then one season, and that the benefits of balancing servers outweigh those negatives. (how much more enjoyable would the game be if you had the Hardcore guilds on one server and the casual or semi-casual on others)

However I can happily agree to disagree

I also agree with you that it would be cool to make it balanced they way you mentioned but... I love that thrill i mentioned in my previous post. I really like to be even on underpopulated realm, trying to win with more enemies at once. In daoc it was possible. If in CU it will be also possible then we don't need to worry about balancing server. Mark stated that zerg can be taken. You see in GW 2 that's almost impossible to take down with 15 people 45. In daoc? well hard but very possible.

That's what we need. We need thrill. We need legendary battles. We need to know enemies, allies. We need to know who shuld we fear or who can be one shotted. That's the thing that makes the game cool.

Servers in game like CU i think will balance themselves. If one realm will have problems ppl might go there to have fun, because they will be able to fight bigger numbers. Remember this is niche game. Mentality of players is a bit different here. I don't want easy fights 10 on 1. I prefer fair fights 8 on 8. Well 8 on 20 are cool to when I'm on the side of 8. But it must be at least possible to win. Hard but possible.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Sketchit

Mark Jacobs and City State Entertainment:

Please rethink the archaic idea of requiring people to pay a monthly fee to log on and play the game. We are living in a time where money is tight all around, and there are a lot of gamers that are fed up with the idea of paying for the Box Price of a game, and on top of that, paying a monthly fee every single month in order to login and play a game.

I will take World of Warcraft’s model as an example. I had bought most of the game’s expansions, and paid the monthly fee for the game for several years. I had invested heavily into a character, and spent a lot of time revolved around the game. The sad part is that at the end of the month, you had as much right to play as somebody else who is just starting to play the game. It did not matter if you invested hundreds of dollars into the game – as soon as you stopped forking over cash, you lost ALL access to what you so heavily invested in already.

Many MMORPGers use MMORPGs as a hobby. I know video games are indeed a large hobby of mine. A hobby is something you invest in. Could you imagine any other hobby where if you stopping shelling out money, somebody swooped down and took away everything you had put into it already? I cannot. I do recognize that a business needs money in order to continuously provide a service. This is not a charity, and I understand that completely. Hopefully, however, the developers and other players can understand my reasoning as well. Business models that are not flexible are a thing of the past. I’m not crying for CSE to make Camelot Unchained into a F2P game, but there should be some common ground here.

I have a possible solution to this problem.

1. A box price with no subscription fee.
    2.  In-Game shop that sells cosmetic items only. Look how successful League of Legends is – and they have no box price whatsoever.
    3. If you want to change to a different realm/server more than once, perhaps also charge as well.
    4. Offer a conversion of gold to In-Game shop currency much like GW2 [but do not do the reverse, as this enables a pay-to-win environment] does to continue to combat Gold Sellers. This allows people to buy stuff from the store without sinking in real-life cash
    5. Any new races that becomes available after the game releases into the in-game shop as well.
    6. Optional in game subscriptions for reduced price for in-game shop currency as well as veteran rewards for long-term subscribers – special cosmetic housing items, ect.

I know people may look at this list and go, “Ewww, I HATE in-game shops. PERIOD!” But, please, look at what you’re gaining. You get consistent access to a game you’ve bought and paid for. You’re still on a equal playing field with everyone else. Gone would be the days of losing that character you played for so long, all because you’re done sinking money you’ve paid for a game ten times over. Please take my suggestions into consideration as you continue planning out the foundation of CU.

Never going to happen bud.  Whether you think its archaic or not, there are distinct advantages to subscription based models.

The first and biggest is it weeds out undesirables.  Whether thats immature 13 year olds who can't afford the monthly fee, transient content locusts, overall just bad players, etc etc.  People who are willig to pay a sub are invested into the game and actually have a desire to play that specific game.

Communities are almost always better in sub based games, and this game is going to need good communities to succeed.

On a side note, im tired of this BS argument that $15/mo is somehow a large amount of money to be paid for a sub to a game.  You can't even eat dinner 1 time at a low end restaurant like Chilis for $15.   $15 is 2 meals at mcdonalds.  $15 is how much i spend in gas in 3 days of driving to and from work.  Frankly its peanuts.  Anybody who complains about $15/mo for a game sub shouldnt be playing games and should be out spending time finding a J O B.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    @Skechit GW 2 has PvE. As the poster above noticed CU is gonna be PvP game. I don't care about cosmetic things. I will go there fight and have fun. That wouldn't allow them to develop as fast as they will with monthly fee subscription.

League of Legends is PvP only. You wouldn't think people would care about cosmetic stuff, but they do, and they buy it up. They can develop just as fast because hey - they're not building a pve world.

also look at how long it takes them to do a new map ! lol would work way better done  thus one basic map for freebies limited heroes  unless u buy and say 5 dollars a month, i bet you would see alot more maps done

ftp can work for a while but it does not bhreed long term play it breeeds piss poor expansions patches and people act  worse when it costs nothing to  play

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by DeanMalinco
    disagree with OP, subscription model is better for having the dev team constantly update the game.

Guild wars 2 has had a lot more "updates" that actually add CONTENT to the game compared to many "sub" based mmo's i've played over the years.

There were plenty of sub mmo's that didn't have that many content updates (if any at all) and instead released expansions which you had to pay for to get that new content.

Such as?

id rather have huge yearly expansions than itty bitty  one or 2 zone updates every 3 months

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Please rethink the archaic idea of requiring people to pay a monthly fee to log on and play the game. We are living in a time where money is tight all around, and there are a lot of gamers that are fed up with the idea of paying for the Box Price of a game, and on top of that, paying a monthly fee every single month in order to login and play a game.

I will take World of Warcraft’s model as an example. I had bought most of the game’s expansions, and paid the monthly fee for the game for several years. I had invested heavily into a character, and spent a lot of time revolved around the game. The sad part is that at the end of the month, you had as much right to play as somebody else who is just starting to play the game. It did not matter if you invested hundreds of dollars into the game – as soon as you stopped forking over cash, you lost ALL access to what you so heavily invested in already.

Many MMORPGers use MMORPGs as a hobby. I know video games are indeed a large hobby of mine. A hobby is something you invest in. Could you imagine any other hobby where if you stopping shelling out money, somebody swooped down and took away everything you had put into it already? I cannot. I do recognize that a business needs money in order to continuously provide a service. This is not a charity, and I understand that completely. Hopefully, however, the developers and other players can understand my reasoning as well. Business models that are not flexible are a thing of the past. I’m not crying for CSE to make Camelot Unchained into a F2P game, but there should be some common ground here.

2.  In-Game shop that sells cosmetic items only. Look how successful League of Legends is – and they have no box price whatsoever.
    3. If you want to change to a different realm/server more than once, perhaps also charge as well.
    4. Offer a conversion of gold to In-Game shop currency much like GW2 [but do not do the reverse, as this enables a pay-to-win environment] does to continue to combat Gold Sellers. This allows people to buy stuff from the store without sinking in real-life cash
    5. Any new races that becomes available after the game releases into the in-game shop as well.
    6. Optional in game subscriptions for reduced price for in-game shop currency as well as veteran rewards for long-term subscribers – special cosmetic housing items, ect.

I know people may look at this list and go, “Ewww, I HATE in-game shops. PERIOD!” But, please, look at what you’re gaining. You get consistent access to a game you’ve bought and paid for. You’re still on a equal playing field with everyone else. Gone would be the days of losing that character you played for so long, all because you’re done sinking money you’ve paid for a game ten times over. Please take my suggestions into consideration as you continue planning out the foundation of CU.

Totally, thousand times no disagree.

I play Lord Of The Rings right now and the f2p and cash shop has made it a disgusting piece of "easy" mode garbage. Let me explain.

When LOTRO came out and said they were going f2p I praised the decision, thinking it would be a great thing. Then Warner Bros. bought Turbine and now a few years later every decision they make is based on trying to extract as much money from the players as possible, including making every type of potion to give you advantage. One of the last things they have done which made me shake my head in disgust is traveling potions so you can travel back to the original quest giver and don't have to take the time to travel there. Heaven forbid you should have to do anything in the game that takes time.:P

So following this type of thinking is it probably is just a matter of time before they start selling in the store for big bucks an auto lvling toon!:P

No f2p in CU or cash shop please, it is to tempting for devs and "bean counters" to take advantage of and destroy a game.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

When I go to see a new film with my fiance, we spend about $20's on movie tickets and another $15 on popcorn and a drink.  That's for two and a half hours of entertainment at most.  $15 for unlimited play for an entire month is ridiculously cheap entertainment.

This!

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

Please make it stop!  The game will be subscription based.  MJ has said it many times!  End of discussion!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

How is that supposed to support continued developement of the game?

Give me a subscription ANYDAY.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Tumblebutz

Please make it stop!  The game will be subscription based.  MJ has said it many times!  End of discussion!

Come on, calm it. People can throw ideas about...thats half the fun of these forums

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Personally, I don't mind paying, since the money goes to pay for their extremely fast internet connection, servers, new content development, maintenance, etc.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP, i know your feeling, but its already being discussed that CU will be sub based. And also its for a specific audience. They arent trying to cater to everyone. They want PvPers (and sub lovers) to stick to CU. They can succeed if the game is good enough to keep this audience subscribed.

Im not a PvP person and i certainly dont like subs. But that hasnt stopped me from playing the first free month of almost every latest sub based mmo. And while this is pvp only, im ok with at least trying new features that aren in other mmos.

I personally dont care what business model they have because if i buy the game some day i know i wont play it long due to lack of pve. So it might be a good idea to stick to their fans and what most of them seem to prefer, subscription.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Waldoe
    Cheap players and company...get over yourself. $15 a month is nothing even if you are strapped for cash. If you can't afford 50 cents a day to game you have the wrong hobby. These threads are beyond annoying.

This. Enough with the "F2P pl0x !111" already. Nothing is ever free in life (not even F2P mmos), get used to it.

• tatertoadtatertoad Member UncommonPosts: 26

Completely dissagree.  If you can afford internet and a computer to run the game, you can afford a sub.  Not only am I glad it's going to be sub based, I hope it's double the normal subscription rate and has a punishing learning curve.  Makes you walk up hill in the snow both ways to school, etc.

Back in my day, we fed our octorocs rupies and they LIKED it.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by tatertoad

Completely dissagree.  If you can afford internet and a computer to run the game, you can afford a sub.  Not only am I glad it's going to be sub based, I hope it's double the normal subscription rate and has a punishing learning curve.  Makes you walk up hill in the snow both ways to school, etc.

Back in my day, we fed our octorocs rupies and they LIKED it.

^ This guy wins the thread.  I literally lol'd.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

MJ also said that there will be lifetime accounts and looking into the possibility family accounts. In short, it should not be too much to play.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Just taking a break between spreadsheets/pr drafts to hit some threads here and on our subreddit. CU is indeed a subscription game and will be launched as a subscription game for our Kickstarter. We will certainly have lifetime tiers for our backers (as I've said before) as well as other subscription pricing perks as well as the fact I've said we won't be pricing this at $14.99 so...

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Just taking a break between spreadsheets/pr drafts to hit some threads here and on our subreddit. CU is indeed a subscription game and will be launched as a subscription game for our Kickstarter. We will certainly have lifetime tiers for our backers (as I've said before) as well as other subscription pricing perks as well as the fact I've said we won't be pricing this at $14.99 so... 

"...so kickstart begin!"

You must have hit post too soon Mark...

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Wazluk

"...so kickstart begin!" You must have hit post too soon Mark...

LOL. I wish I could have said that because it would mean that I can stop staring at these "pledge tier" spreadsheets, pr drafts, etc.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577
    Originally posted by Wazluk

"...so kickstart begin!" You must have hit post too soon Mark...

LOL. I wish I could have said that because it would mean that I can stop staring at these "pledge tier" spreadsheets, pr drafts, etc.

The numbers all start to blend together after awhile don't they lol.