Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Taking the Control Wizard for a Spin

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I didn't like the whole two fingered hand thing either.  I also didn't like the orb thing.  Never read of a single magic-user in the forgotten realms books that mentioned a floating orb being necessary to cast magic spells.  Personally, I like wielding a staff as a Wizard, but that won't happen in this game.  The worst part of the class for me was the complete lack of the most basic spells you would expect a Wizard to have; fireball and lightning bolt / chain lightning.  I didn't have much hope for this game to begin with, but there were many aspects of it that were even more disappointing than I had anticipated.  Class structure being a big part of it.

The class your looking for is not out yet. If Cryptic does their job and adds more classes, you will see more wizards. 

I won't be playing the game anyway.  I'm not a fan of the combat system or the plethora of instancing and the lack of an open and fully explorable world.  I have to say though, they really missed the mark if they were going for an enchanter style wizard here.

If you didnt get past level 20 then you dont really have any idea of the scale of the later zones. The first 20 levels is a tutorial which takes place in the relatively confined city. After level 20 you venture outside the city and the zones get much bigger.

And again, if you had gotten past 20 then you would know that they pretty much hit the mark with the control wizard as an enchanter / controller. The reason they start off relatively weak in control is so you can choose to either focus on control or buffing / debuffing in the paragon feats.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Meh, I saw a few others complaining like this OP did about the CW but I tested the CW through level 22 and had absolutely no problems controlling situations and staying alive. I also heard no complaints from group members about my tactics in combat either.

So overall for me, I look forward to playing the CW full-time after the game launches. It didn't feel weak in the least. 

(Btw, this is not based on being any kind of fanboy because if you look up my past postings here, you will find I am anything but a Cryptic Studios fan in the past.)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I may have been spoilt by GW2s character animation, as now when I look at videos like this, the characters seem to move in a series of preprogrammed routines that all end the same, snapping back to position, rather than any natural transition.

They all did it before, but since GW2 when I go back, I notice it alot. 

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

"Lastly, what is up with the two fingers sticking into the frickin’ air? I’m sorry but that’s just ugly.  Why is that the default stance for CW’s? I have to say it: I HATE IT."

They are amateur proctologists...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by DMKano
    The two fingers....for times when one finger is not enough. It just looks so silly.

All that is missing is a latex glove.

LOL!! I was thinking they looked like they either were looking for eyes to poke or they had something stinky on those fingers and were willing to share :P

On a side note; I enjoyed the beta weekend. To me it's not bad for a free to play title and I will probably pick it up at release and fit it into my game rotation.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

As I got a little higher level and got more used to the CW it did get a little better but I still agree almost entirely with the article and the general public who think the CW needs a lot of work yet. The stance is totally retarded and almost drove me to not play the CW at all to begin with lol. The damage output does feel a bit to low, felt like my Guardian Fighter companion outdamaged me at times lol, but I did find Ray of Enfeeblement helped counter that later on, but not enough to say theres no problem of course.

While there is some control I felt as though there wasn't nearly enough with the extremely short durations and long cooldowns, the delay after teleporting, and the vast majority of encounters being numerous mobs things started getting a bit tough as I got higher. One or even two big guys even were np at all but a pack of 4 or 5+ little guys could do substatntial damage, and that was using Time Steal for aoe stun, Ice Rays for freezing 2 targets at once, and Entangling Grasp to cc yet another. It was doable but I found myself spamming pots a lot more throughout my entire gameplay than I really shoulda.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    The review and comments are pretty spot on.  Class underpowered, doesn't bring anything to the table, and weak survivability.  For a "control class" it really doesn't show.  Ray of Frost must slow enemies by like 5% lol.  By the time it freezes someone you could have already killed them with magic missile.  It's worthless.  In its current state, I see no benefit to playing the control wizard over any other classes.  Cleric does much better damage, has heals and has 1000x better survivability. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It sounds like the typical "gimmicky" caster class: a large number of tools, possibly very strong in PvP and certain PvE situations, but with a higher skill cap that your average profession and unable to passively plow through stuff like less gimmicky melee or caster classes can do.

Take the elementalist in GW2 or the mage in WoW as a reference.

I like that kind of class, but I must say it sometimes gets terribly frustrating when trying to level one. Just taking the elementalist as my example: kiting every single mob into oblivion instead of just pulling 15 mobs and facerolling your whirlwind shit as a guardian or warrior got very irritating at times.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I felt weak also as a CW and yea, that stance was a very strange choice on Cryptics part, maybe im missing something I dont know. It would be nice to have a staff or maybe a book to thumb through but I didnt get that far as a CW so I dont know if they get different weapons down the line.

• mawgrenmawgren Member Posts: 24

Played a bit through this last beta weekend on this class, rogue and cleric. What is up with some of the movements and character stances?!? Some things just seem wonky ala the two fingers everyone seems to already be mentioning.  There are also some strange design decisions like no mouse curser onscreen unless you press "alt" to enter a mouse curser mode? The quests seemed very generic and the dungeon designs lacked much in the way of what I would expect from a D&D scenario and if they get better later I don't care because they should start off good too.  What I took from the game is that it's not bad but it's just not that good. It's possible the foundry could allieviate some of the problems so it will just depend on how much PW want to nickel and dime everyone...

As far as the control wizard goes it was a fun pick up and play nuker class but as others have stated at least in the early levels the control wasn't really there.  I do question how much control any class will have without at least the option to tab target instead of just the default directional soft targeting that is currently in use.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I don't believe you mentioned Spell Mastery in this article. Whatever encounter spell you plug in that slot now has added powers/effects and it can be changed per battle. (perhaps I just missed the mention) For example, Repel becomes an AoE power under Spell Mastery.

In my opinion it is class defining.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I got to lvl 23 on the CW and I had a blast. Yes, the 2 fingers sticking up is silly, but who cares? It was the gameplay that kept me hooked. Yes, you had to teleport around a bunch, but that kept it challenging. I was killing mobs 3 levels higher than me with no problem (since healing potions drop like crazy and have a short cooldown). I did not feel weak, and it wasn't until I got to the cemetery zone 3 levels below the mobs that I started to get my butt kicked. In fact, the first 10 levels or so I felt very overpowered. Overall, I LOVE this game and had a blast all weekend. I will definitely be spending many hours playing once it is released.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I played all the classes for a short time, and I actually liked the cleric over the cw.  First time in any mmo I have liked the healer type over the caster.
  • makiimakii Member Posts: 280

I enjoyed it too so far. Played CW and teamed up with a priest. I dont know how it would have been wthout a buddy but i think the experience would ahve been much worse. Playing with a friend made it actually enjoyable.

i give it a 7.5/10

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I still think Control Wizard is an idiotic name. Next step will be taking away all "fluff" and start naming classes as Tank,. Healer and DPS, afterall why even try.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Mages in D&D a tually supposed to be weak (fragil, ie glass cannons) yet powerull in their magic. As such neverwinter kinda hit the mark with the control wizard.  No other classws Daily does as much damage aas the CW's. Also in D&D casters did best in groups pretty much like in neverwinter. The CW when played well brings alot to a group but is harder to solo then most other classes. 

I agree the 2 finger pose really should go though, and the name itself control wizard is fairly miss leading at the low levels since there is little AOE controlling going on. Sleep would have been a good early spell if it weren't for the fact most early level mobs are undead that it wouldn't effect.

Class is great fun if you have a group to play with, if your a soloist most of the time I'd suggest a different class

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I still think Control Wizard is an idiotic name. Next step will be taking away all "fluff" and start naming classes as Tank,. Healer and DPS, afterall why even try.

Talk to wizards of the coast it their changes to the D&D rules not cryptics

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Nicely done Bill. I'm just glad Wizards don't have to wear a dress for once.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ya Ray of Frost kind of ruined the class for me. And I love wizards but it was such a useless spell. I don't know if it gets better later but by lvl 10 it didn't.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Thanks for the vid but so far this game from what I have been able to see I have not been impressed at all. You know there are A movies and B movies, this looks like a really bad B movie. 
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    The game and CW, both felt pretty boring, sadly. Only foundry maybe, just maybe can make me play it for longer then 2 weeks. Foundry is better then STO, lets see howlong will last after launch.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I was kinda looking forward to this one, but after reading alot of the posts out of beta it doesn't sound like a very good game....
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I was kinda looking forward to this one, but after reading alot of the posts out of beta it doesn't sound like a very good game....

gotta remember majority of people come ot forums to complain about something.. i wouldn't make judgements till you try the game yourself... it's going to be free to download and play so not risking anything in trying it..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I am almost always (OK I lie I am always) a Melee DPS build, I love the use of 2-Handed weapons or Dual Wielding Swords but this past beta weekend I was commited to testing the 2 ranged classes, the Control Wizard and Devoted Cleric.  In all my times playing MMO's I have never loved playing a caster class more so then this past weekend.  Played the Wiz to level 30 and the Cleric to 22.

First the Control Wizard:  Although I felt the damage of the Wiz was slightly less then any of the other classes (way less then the Triskster Rogue) the battlefield control I had was amazing and with proper use of control skills and teleportation (the Control Wiz's teleport can be used more often then any of the other classes defensive utility skills so its wise to take advantage of it.  I think this class will be the ultimate in PvP and will be as annoying as a WoW Frost Mage for melee's.  My favorite skills were Ice Lance, Repel and the AOE ice field (forgot the name).  I think a little more damage could warranted on the non control abilities & Magic Missles though.

The Devoted Cleric is nothing short of Overpowered and the damage needs to be toned down quite a bit IMO.  He also can take a beating thanks to the healing and potion use.  Last beta I did the Doom Tomb Foundry Mission on my Rogue and died at least 11 times and used over 40 potions and 6 Altars.  This beta I took the Cleric through the mission and never used an altar, never died and only used 4 potions total.  Like I said, overpowered!

At the end of the day, I do not intend to make either my Main, but they are a strong contender for being my first Alt.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I may have been spoilt by GW2s character animation, as now when I look at videos like this, the characters seem to move in a series of preprogrammed routines that all end the same, snapping back to position, rather than any natural transition.

They all did it before, but since GW2 when I go back, I notice it alot. 

While I love GW2 its animations leave alot to be desired, espcially when it comes to Dual Wielding.  Hate that both weapons do not swing in unison, it looks bad IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!