Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a complete disappointment..

Comments

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

I agree with the other complaints here.  Here is my own list:

• The controls are obviously designed for console rather than pc.  Any game that by default has the arrow keys disabled for movement is already facing a steep barrier to acceptance.  Even Rogue back in 1985 let you use arrow keys for movement.  You can't click on items to interact with the world.
    • Collecting loot is inconsistent.  Sometimes you just walk over it.  Sometimes you press F.  Sometimes you press 1.
    • Lag-stutter is terrible, even when pivoting on a point.  I can't tell if the problem is server lag or client issues.  It's not quite enough to cause a headache, but it adds to my frustration.
    • There is no RP in this RPG.  I tried 3 classes up to level 5, I think.  Never after character creation did I make or see any choice that would influence the development of my character.  My destiny seems pre-programmed.
    • Likewise, I never encountered open world where I could just go exploring.  My adventure path was very narrowly directed.  The last Neverwinter game, Storm Of Zehir, offered open map exploration.  I enjoyed it there, and I expect it in an MMO.
    • Combat is 1-click spam.  I tried using some of the other skills that I unlocked, but the lag was so bad that it was frustrating to try coordinating any tactics even by myself.  It was less annoying to just click repeatedly and wait for stuff to die, then watch lag make me continue to feign combat even though all my enemies were dead.
    • Crafting was hinted at but not yet provided at my level.  Unlike previous Neverwinter games, I did not collect relevant resource drops from my kills.  There are special nodes instead... nodes specific to my character class.  *boggle*

They were wise to offer founder's packs instead of pre-orders... my money is spent and I cannot cancel.   I feel cheated, and I am unhappy about it.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by MellowTigger

• The controls are obviously designed for console rather than pc.  Any game that by default has the arrow keys disabled for movement is already facing a steep barrier to acceptance.  Even Rogue back in 1985 let you use arrow keys for movement.  You can't click on items to interact with the world.
    • Collecting loot is inconsistent.  Sometimes you just walk over it.  Sometimes you press F.  Sometimes you press 1.
    • Lag-stutter is terrible, even when pivoting on a point.  I can't tell if the problem is server lag or client issues.  It's not quite enough to cause a headache, but it adds to my frustration.
    • There is no RP in this RPG.  I tried 3 classes up to level 5, I think.  Never after character creation did I make or see any choice that would influence the development of my character.  My destiny seems pre-programmed.
    • Likewise, I never encountered open world where I could just go exploring.  My adventure path was very narrowly directed.  The last Neverwinter game, Storm Of Zehir, offered open map exploration.  I enjoyed it there, and I expect it in an MMO.
    • Combat is 1-click spam.  I tried using some of the other skills that I unlocked, but the lag was so bad that it was frustrating to try coordinating any tactics even by myself.  It was less annoying to just click repeatedly and wait for stuff to die, then watch lag make me continue to feign combat even though all my enemies were dead.
    • Crafting was hinted at but not yet provided at my level.  Unlike previous Neverwinter games, I did not collect relevant resource drops from my kills.  There are special nodes instead... nodes specific to my character class.  *boggle*

They were wise to offer founder's packs instead of pre-orders... my money is spent and I cannot cancel.   I feel cheated, and I am unhappy about it.

Everyone of your points is a very typical complaint of the last 2 Cryptic offerings. If anyone wants to see what the future holds for Neverwinter , venture into the F2P titles of Cryptic. Cryptic is a 3rd rate dev with some nice franchise titles it was able to secure. It's been feeding at the trough of their fandom. After the release of Neverwinter this will end and Cryptic will have to depend on the games it releases and develops without the aid of the big franchise name. Here's hoping it's also the end of Cryptic. 

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

Let me preface this response by saying that I'm a fan of STO.  More so now that improvements have been made over time.  I diskile Cryptic's cash shop methods, but generally overlook these gripes as that is just a part of F2P gaming.

As an aside here, I'm constantly baffled by peoples' comments that "F2p is the future! P2P is dead!" yet they all complain that cash sops are just pay to win.

Anyway, back to the point.  I can overlook most graphic issues.  If the game is pleasing to look at, then I'm fine.  Aesthetics are big with me, but much of that "alive" feeling that people talk about can be accomplished with clever audio.  SWG did this to good effect.  It never had squirils and rabbits every 10 feet like we're all playing Snow White Online, but in the forrests of Naboo, you could hear birds chirping and trees rustling.  I really have little issue with NPCs standing in static locations.  I played WoW for a long time and there's one wuest in the tauren area that I always skipped because the NPC constantly pathed, and I could never find him when I needed to turn in a quest.

Combat is what gets me in this game.  Oh don't get me wrong, it's ok, and difficulty can and WILL be adjusted.  It's very common for games to make a final balance pass very close to launch where HP is increased or decreased and damage is tuned, but this combat does not feel like D&D.  The game does overall, but combat does not.  Perhaps this is due to the 4th ED ruleset versus the 3 or 3.5 edition, but DDO FEELS like D&D combat should in an action game.  I realize that D&D is turned based and that it, unfortunately, just doesn't translate easily into todays action game market, but I was really hoping for a bit more.  I would like to have seen day/night cycles ingame that reset your daily skills, for example.  My cleric doesn't feel like a cleric should as it is.  Now if they changed the class name to Holy Avenger!!! then it might be a little closer to the truth.  

The largest underlying issue for this game -- at least in my opinion -- is the root.  I generally don't prefer action games.  I tend to like the old EQ / WoW style of combat, but if you're going to have an action game where your very survival is dependent on active dodge and situational awareness then YOU DON'T ROOT THE PLAYER DURING DEFAULT ATTACKS!  I really don't understand Cryptic's logic here.  I suppose you could explain rooting during special attacks as there being a round cast time to cast a spell in the P&P version, but combat is it si now is unacceptable.  It took me a while to figure out what it was.  At first I thought it was an ability delay or lag that kept me from dodging, then I realized that I'm rooted in place while the animation plays out.  Perhaps it was a design choice, and perhaps it was an unintinded side effect of charachter animations.

At any rate, it's a fun game, but the lack of open world, uninspired classes, and the combat makes me glad it is going to be F2P.

Oh, one more thing:  how in the hell does one release a D&D MMO WITHOUT THE PALADIN?!  It's been an iconic class since 1st Edition.  Come on Cryptic!

Edit for grammar and clarity.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

It's...pretty bad.

I mean there's just not much to say.    I got to level 2 and just didn't want to play anymore.   Killed a few mobs and it felt like I was playing someone's first game they made in C twenty years ago.     It felt like a chore just walking back to the camp to finish the quest before closing the game.   The urge to exit and uninstall was EXTREMELY strong.

You ever try a game and as soon as you start you actually feel a little ashamed that you're playing it?  The last time I felt like that was when I tried Asda Story 2. 

Haven't uninstalled yet.   I may attempt to give it one more chance later on.    It SEEMS like a Neverwinter game should at least be worth loading a second time before giving up.

Is this sarcasm?

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

Arrow Keys? Who the hell uses Arrow keys nowadays? It has been WASD since I can remember. Sorry Mellow, but I have no idea why you would even mention this. Or am I the one missing something here? Anyway, if I could post a pic of this game that I have on my HDD that I took whilst in-game, you would change your mind about the graphics ( Not you personally Mellow, but the ones complaining about the Graphics ). The city is one of the most unique cities I have ever seen in an MMO. I could live there. Anyway, we all like what we like, and dislike what we don't like. We are all human here.

• rooster99rooster99 Member UncommonPosts: 30

i have really enjoyed this game dureing beta

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805

I can understand the OP's process, I did the same thing in SWTOR.

I got into the closed beta, and could play as much as I wanted, for free; and yet I quit in the first hour. The world felt wrong to me, not like Star Wars at all; clunky, dead, limited. Once you get that feeling from a game, it's tough to keep playing.

I'm afraid to try this game, because it looks like the same kind of thing: take a well-known and popular lore, and milk it with a mediocre implementation.

Or else they'll charge for everything. You want more classes? Pay up!

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

The game is free to play and will most likely be the best FTP (from start/release) that comes out.  I enjoyed my time playing especially since it's free.  The mechanics are just like any other cookie cut mmo but the world is pretty awesome looking.  If you go to the top of the city and look down, you'll see what I mean.  

The quests are run of the mill, but I dont mind that.  I only got to level 10 and it appears there is a bit more after that that I haven't seen yet like crafting and sub-classes.

Also, if you didn't happen to notice, you have some options with your skills too...especially as you progress....yes, they are acquired automatically at a specific level, but you can only have so many on your hotbar.

Another welcome addition was the dodge mechanic....liked it in TSW, sort of like it in GW2 and I like it in Neverwinter.

Overall it's not groundbreaking or amazing, but it is certainly fun to play.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    game is free to play,so for me its ok,same environment as other mmo,graphics is not the great either but still good,from what i experienced so far,the only thing i dont like the most is their wasd movement,and when im attacking that i cant move around,but thats how they made it,so only my 2c..so overall its ok..i definitly try this game when it comes out,i dont expect much on CB.bugs here and there..well see..Good luck Cryptic
  • Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

Its Perfect Crap Entertainment. They've permanently skunked ST as an MMO franchise and now they want to do the same to one of the most revered titels in RPGs.

Short of illegal action i'm not sure anything can stop the trashing of dreams and ideas that has been games over the past 15 years.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Hyperion5182

Its Perfect World Entertainment. They've saved ST as an MMO franchise and now they want to do the same to one of the most revered titels in RPGs.

Fixed it for you, obviously no one can be that bad at logic to say the things you did.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

I agree theres a lot of things that could use a lot of improvement but the op seems to be going a bit overboard lol.

The difficulty overall was pretty low all around but it did start to increase a bit once entering the Tower District at least. I can't speak for higher level content but I do know people have also designed some Foundry missions that are quite challenging and am sure more of those will come in the future for those who want a real challenging experience.

I can't really comment on mobs not moving in reaction to my attacks because I played a Wizard and yeah.. they moved a lot lol. They got frozen in different poses ddepending on what they were doing, thrown up in the air and slammed to the ground, knocked back quite far, sucked into a vortex only to be blasted away after a few sec, etc etc lol. That being said the op only mentioned the starting tutorial area which is kinda meant to be easy and pretty basic so you can actually figure out how to play the game before being thrown into a full blown serious fight like you'll run into quite frequently if you play more than 2 levels heh.

The graphics themselves I really didn't mind myself and was actually a bit impressed with based on Cryptics other games. The problem came with the character models / animations which I can only hope to god simply aren't finished yet because they are pretty horrid atm.

On another note the op was upset about the crafting system however crafting was not accessible at all during this beta weekend (nor was pvp).

I personally came into this game with extremely low expectations and not expecting it to be a traditional team based tactical challenging campaign / dungeon crawling game like any real traditional DnD Game or the DnD Universe in general (So love Baldurs Gate 2). That being said I have actually enjoyed it quite a bit for what it is, an action based dungeon crawler based on DnD Enviromeny and lore but not based on DnD mechanics in any way shape or form really lol. Sure theres room for lots of improvements in many areas but no matter what they do if you come into this game expecting it to be anythingl ike traditional DnD your going to be sorely dissappointed.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

1) Um... WASD has been the standard for a very long time. If you play on PC you notice most games don't use the arrow keys anymore because they expect you to have one hand on the mouse and the other on WASD. Theres a reason a game from 1985 used arrow keys while games of today have steered away from that. Clicking on objects has been 50/50 with pressing F or some other use key for a very long time now as well. 

2) Gold and quest items you walk over, loot you click F. It's consistent. 

3) I haven't experience any lag or stuttering. It's beta and there are a lot of configurations to cover so it is likely that it may not be optimized for your setup yet. My gameplay was smooth as butter. 

4) Theres no RP? How in the world is there no RP? You have all the tools you'd ever need to RP in Neverwinter. Travel with companions of your choice, tailor your character to how you want to play (A noble cleric healing others or a Vengful Cleric raining fire and brimstone down on your foes oO). Not to mention you can create your own story and have your friends play through it with you with the Foundry. The RP potential in Neverwinter Online is beyond what is typically in a themepark MMO. 

5) Yes, it is linear. It's basically a dungeon/instance crawler. 

6) The combat is fairly strategic. You have your basic two attacks and your mobility/defense ability that you will be using most of the time but you also have 3 utility skills that get used often and if use appropriately can change the flow of battle. On top of that you get 2 really good abilities that you can use every so often that really change things up. On top of that you get sort of an "Overcharge" abilitiy at level 10 that when used changes how your at wills work, and enhance/change your encounter abilities. 

Combat is far from a 1 click spam. 

7) I'm not sure how this is good or bad. It's just different. You get loot from kills and resources from "nodes", this is pretty typical in MMO's. The unique take on it requiring different class skills or class kits which you can get is interesting but without access to the crafting system we don't know much else. 

Sounds like you have a low end system or a uncommon configuration that the game hasn't been optimized for yet and also lacked a bit of understanding in how the game works. 

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Its Perfect World Entertainment. They've saved ST as an MMO franchise and now they want to do the same to one of the most revered titels in RPGs.

Fixed it for you, obviously no one can be that bad at logic to say the things you did.

Gotta love the koolaid drinking.

STO in season 7 basically got killed for all the reasonable players. When the dilithium exchange which once was at 400 and at 150 at the time of season 7 dropped to 70!! You know the results were bad. The outcry on that has been tremendous. Could you also not misquote me in that way asshole i meant exactly what i said STO got KILLED by those idiots.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Definitely the most fun I've had with a Cryptic made game...not saying much. If you come into this with very low expectations you may be able to find a bit of enjoyment. I find it hard to believe too many people will be like OP and even care enough about this little game to get too worked up.

If this game didnt have the foundry it wouldnt have much going for it. Combat doesnt seem tactical at all...maybe it gets better later. The self rooting isnt gamebreaking, for melee, thankfully. Ill definitely try this game on release if for nothing else than the foundry.

STO in season 7 basically got killed for all the reasonable players. When the dilithium exchange which once was at 400 and at 150 at the time of season 7 dropped to 70!! You know the results were bad. The outcry on that has been tremendous. Could you also not misquote me in that way asshole i meant exactly what i said STO got KILLED by those idiots.

He isn't pissed for an objective reason, he's pissed because he can no longer buy tons of dilithium for little zen, entitlement 101 and missing any economy savy (you should really play EVE sometime, the derpy things people do to the in-game economy in that game beggars belief). I suggest you stop talking as it is obvious STO didn't die, you just couldn't get your way anymore as cheaply as you wanted -hands you a shovel- get to grinding like the rest of us if you don't like how much dilithium you're getting for your zen.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

He isn't pissed for an objective reason, he's pissed because he can no longer buy tons of dilithium for little zen, entitlement 101 and missing any economy savy (you should really play EVE sometime, the derpy things people do to the in-game economy in that game beggars belief). I suggest you stop talking as it is obvious STO didn't die, you just couldn't get your way anymore as cheaply as you wanted -hands you a shovel- get to grinding like the rest of us if you don't like how much dilithium you're getting for your zen.

You're getting fun with the "subject" and taking some patience considering he insulted you, anyways i may suggest to ignore the trolls/people with lack of manners. Almost all know the succes of STO as a F2P "if im not wrong STO was the best F2P of the last year?"

Originally posted by Varthander

You're getting fun with the "subject" and taking some patience considering he insulted you, anyways i may suggest to ignore the trolls/people with lack of manners. Almost all know the succes of STO as a F2P "if im not wrong STO was the best F2P of the last year?"

Meh, I always enjoy tearing apart "MAH OPINION IS FACT!!" posts with logic, if that fails to get to the respective subject there's always the option of bending his own words against him but that's really not gonna be required usually.

That said is your character's 2nd name "Lupercal" taken from roman mythology or from Warhammer 40.000's Horus Lupercal? ^^

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Hmmm. I think the game is pretty awesome and I can't wait for it to launch. My only complaint was lack of classes.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

• It's an action oriented game.  Some people prefer console-like controlers to keyboards in certain games.
    • It's a deliberate design choice to fix certain complaints about other action MMOs.  Not everyone agrees with it, but so far, you are in the minority.
    • I have played the game without much lag, and so have many people.  The problem could be on your end.
    • This is a beta.  Things are bound to be changed and added in as time goes on.  What you played does not represent the final product (one that can be changed should the devs believe it needs to be changed).  To judge this kind of stuff on what you saw in beta is stupid.
    • This game was originally supposed to be an instanced dungeon crawler MMO, much like the pen and paper D&D.  Again, a deliberate choice to cater to the fans of D&D.  Might as well complain that Phantasy Star Online sucks because it doesn't have open world exploration like Phantasy Star.  This isn't TERA, so don't go comparing Neverwinter to TERA.
    • Combat is 1-click spam when it comes to trash mobs, but unles you use your skills properly, especially against group bosses, prepare to die.
    • I was not aware that crafting had been implemented yet.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Kumate
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

I appreciate the information. I was never a huge supporter of Cryptic, as anyone can see by my post history in the STO boards. However, Im enjoying this one a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. The bugs, lagginess, rubberbanding, and whatnot don't bother me during the testing phase. I just report bugs, audio issues, and whatever seems wonky. I know the game won't be optimized.

I never expected missions or quests that broke the norm from other MMO's, like fetch quests or kill x quests. Im having most of my fun with the combat. I know some of you can't stand it, but Im finding I really like it.

Anyway, you are describing the tutorial area, where the enemies just stand there waiting for you to smack them into oblivion. They aren't supposed to damage you. They are there for you to practice combat. Just like in the WOW starting area, or the Rift starting area, and what have you.

The quests are simple indeed, like gathering arrows and putting them into a barrel. It just seems to me that it's just getting used to the buttons, the combat, and quest mechanics. Sounds like a tutorial area to me.

To be honest, the quests don't seem to get very complex as you go on, as I am level 10 (no Im not playing the beta 24/7), and they are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I guess my point is, there is something here for a lot of people who give it a chance. If I can find something to like in a Cryptic game, I think a lot of others can to.

Geez... so far I like something Cryptic made. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!!!?????

My point about the skellies wasnt about them just standing there, it was that my attacks in an action MMO doesn't knock them back or push them away (TERA, Vindictus, and the other new MMO that is like Tera I can't remember right now).  If I am going to hit someone with my shield...man let it feel like I smacked them.  Push them back, knock them down..something.  I hit 10 skellies and it felt like he was trying to slow dance with me instead of actually fight.

Wow just wow, ok first off please quite spreading false information.  I've played every beta thus far and I'll tell you playing as a guardian, almost all hit major abilites will knock enemies back, the ferecoity of the hits really adds to the immersion, additonally it will interrupt the enemies as well.  So go back play the game again on March 24th  and open your eyes and truly pay attention cause right now I have a hard time believing you played the game at all if that is your statement about the game.

As of late there seems to be a small group of users on here that have been spreading false information and even false experiences about the game and you sir are one of them.  

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Hmmm. I think the game is pretty awesome and I can't wait for it to launch. My only complaint was lack of classes.

I just played for my first beta weekend on this, and I have to agree it was awesome. Some games feel like work, but I actually had fun playin this so far. Can't wait till next beta test.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Laross
    Wow just wow, ok first off please quite spreading false information.  I've played every beta thus far and I'll tell you playing as a guardian, almost all hit major abilites will knock enemies back, the ferecoity of the hits really adds to the immersion, additonally it will interrupt the enemies as well.  So go back play the game again on March 24th  and open your eyes and truly pay attention cause right now I have a hard time believing you played the game at all if that is your statement about the game.

As of late there seems to be a small group of users on here that have been spreading false information and even false experiences about the game and you sir are one of them.  

What the hell else is he supposed to do? By his own omission he played the game for like ten minutes. So making shit up, being petty, and having an overall vapid review is pretty much going to be par for the course.

Should have just saved himself some typing time and others some reading by simply saying the game sucks and then promotiong whatever game it is he really wants people to play. Least the haters get to the point rather succintly.

I'm all for people not having to experience the entire game to assess it or review it but ten minutes? Give me a fucking break.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I couldn't stop playing this. Simply could not. Why? No idea, just was fun. Good, old school fashion fun. 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Kumate

If you think that game is fun you are only holding onto some hype you pumped up yourself or trying to validate spending money on the early preorder purchase. 

Or you know, they could actually be having fun because they arent a pedantic tosser?