Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a complete disappointment..

Comments

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

Ok maybe its just me but i have some disagreements with the OP. First off to me the begining area is for a total noob who has never tried any type of game like this. And yes there are actually some of those out there. I found the city alive and bustling with npcs and players.

Now i Played a Tank and when i attacked i knocked npcs down they knocked me down I had to  think quick on my feet and move around to get out of the way of thier special attacks so i did not die. Yes i did die 3 times mainly because i would run out of healing pots. 1 npc killed me fairly easy though and i did not go back to try again this was a side quest at level 15.

Now for the things i did not like, traps seem to be static which basicly takes away the element of surprise when re running the same dungeon.

I found the rewards decent but i sure got a ton of stuff i could not use. This can be looked at bad and good. Bad i cant use it filling up my pack. Good in that it gives you plenty to sell.

I guess being a much older gamer than most I look at things different. I have been playing since M59 the first true mmo before UO. I have played alot of games out there most of the major mmos.

If anything I think games are to easy today and i really don't care for cryptic but i found this game enjoyable. I will tell you first hand, graphics a game does not make. If thats all your looking for in a game then your always going to be disapointed and probably should go back to playing consoles.

But as i always say if your not having fun in the game then move on.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

I can't understand why so many players are never satisfied? The game has really nice graphics in my eyes, so I don't understand that eaither. I am used to Everquest 2 graphics, so this is like a diamond, the way how it looks. Keep in mind that it is a mmorpg, not a fancy and expensive rpg made in CryEngine.....

The only things that can make this game bad right now, would be a very booring gameplay later on, since THAT is the main reason why you play. Gameplay is everything, when a game looks atleast better than Everquest 1, for example. Another thing would also be the cash shop, but I think they won't make that bad eaither.

So, what's the problem? :(

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

It doesnt sound like the OP has ever played another MMO before. He claims to have gone in with no expectations then is completely outraged when it doesnt change up the questing system of almost every mmo that has come before. What, quest givers standing in place and not going about their day like in Skyrim? This game sucks! The trees and grass move simutaneously and leaves and branches are not individually rendered? Most mmo's that people have played for years and continue to enjoy do not feature this and for most it wouldnt be a rage quit beta deal breaker, but this game sucks! The tutorial is too easy and has no challenge whatsoever, hell, they might as well be walking me through it, this game sucks!

I've only played to level 8 so far and I am hoping that the dificulty gets jacked up quite a bit for release. The combat has been easy and once again, hopefully it gets tweaked to offer more of a challenge and strategy. What i'm not going to do is go off on the game, blasting it in beta, because I went in with the expectations that it was going to be the next great modern MMO. Your attempt to have no expectations is an illusion even to yourself.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Shaike
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    out of curiosity, did you submit your comments to whatever system takes bug reports, comments, etc?

[mod edit]

The point would be to address the problems you have with the game and improve them (unless you are in the vast minority complaining about these things).  If you find something wrong with a game that is IN BETA, and you get to participate in said beta, it is YOUR JOB to comment on what is wrong with the game so that problems can be fixed and aspects improved.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    My gripes aren't even remotely the same as i found the game to lack any resemblance to the D&D system which makes it an autofail in my eyes. The foundry is completely nullified by the meager 5 classes and lack of customization to said classes that even the simpliest of games surpass. Want to give your fighter or thief a longbow? Look elsewhere.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Play for five minutes and then say the game sucks. And focus on the wind when doing so... This was a great thread.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Ooh objects sway in the wind, totally unexpected! :)
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Kumate
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

I appreciate the information. I was never a huge supporter of Cryptic, as anyone can see by my post history in the STO boards. However, Im enjoying this one a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. The bugs, lagginess, rubberbanding, and whatnot don't bother me during the testing phase. I just report bugs, audio issues, and whatever seems wonky. I know the game won't be optimized.

I never expected missions or quests that broke the norm from other MMO's, like fetch quests or kill x quests. Im having most of my fun with the combat. I know some of you can't stand it, but Im finding I really like it.

Anyway, you are describing the tutorial area, where the enemies just stand there waiting for you to smack them into oblivion. They aren't supposed to damage you. They are there for you to practice combat. Just like in the WOW starting area, or the Rift starting area, and what have you.

The quests are simple indeed, like gathering arrows and putting them into a barrel. It just seems to me that it's just getting used to the buttons, the combat, and quest mechanics. Sounds like a tutorial area to me.

To be honest, the quests don't seem to get very complex as you go on, as I am level 10 (no Im not playing the beta 24/7), and they are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I guess my point is, there is something here for a lot of people who give it a chance. If I can find something to like in a Cryptic game, I think a lot of others can to.

Geez... so far I like something Cryptic made. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!!!?????

My point about the skellies wasnt about them just standing there, it was that my attacks in an action MMO doesn't knock them back or push them away (TERA, Vindictus, and the other new MMO that is like Tera I can't remember right now).  If I am going to hit someone with my shield...man let it feel like I smacked them.  Push them back, knock them down..something.  I hit 10 skellies and it felt like he was trying to slow dance with me instead of actually fight.

did we play the same game?? when i rolled a guardian fighter my shield attacks knocked down enemies and my shield charge ability was so powerful most enemies died on contact and then flew backwards in fantastic fashion. If you dont like the game thats cool but dont spread false information about a game u played 10 mins in....

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

It's...pretty bad.

I mean there's just not much to say.    I got to level 2 and just didn't want to play anymore.   Killed a few mobs and it felt like I was playing someone's first game they made in C twenty years ago.     It felt like a chore just walking back to the camp to finish the quest before closing the game.   The urge to exit and uninstall was EXTREMELY strong.

You ever try a game and as soon as you start you actually feel a little ashamed that you're playing it?  The last time I felt like that was when I tried Asda Story 2. 

Haven't uninstalled yet.   I may attempt to give it one more chance later on.    It SEEMS like a Neverwinter game should at least be worth loading a second time before giving up.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Everything is JUNK , including this horrible game and rift and wow and whatever other game you mentioned!!!

Sorry to be blunt but they are all the same - only thing new is WildStar, but i will wait till i actually play it (even though i will probably buy at least a copy for me and another for my wife and maybe another for my brother - as it seems to be the only thing original enough and worth playing).

Please tell me how anything wildstar is doing is "new."

Joined - July 2004

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    My gripes aren't even remotely the same as i found the game to lack any resemblance to the D&D system which makes it an autofail in my eyes. The foundry is completely nullified by the meager 5 classes and lack of customization to said classes that even the simpliest of games surpass. Want to give your fighter or thief a longbow? Look elsewhere.

Game does somewhat follow the newer D&D system 4th ED, just that everyone is use to the 3rd ED or lower.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Everything is JUNK , including this horrible game and rift and wow and whatever other game you mentioned!!!

Sorry to be blunt but they are all the same - only thing new is [BrandX].

Substitute your title for [BrandX]. Life just couldn't get any simpler.

Why didn't we see this sooner?

Que sirrah, sirrah.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    But but but I like the aim combat
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Lol the best part is everything you talked about wasn't even included in the first beta weekend. Instead of waking up on shore, you started in the city, next to a man on a horse, ready to receive your assignment.
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by remyburke

Sorry to be blunt but they are all the same - only thing new is WildStar, but i will wait till i actually play it (even though i will probably buy at least a copy for me and another for my wife and maybe another for my brother - as it seems to be the only thing original enough and worth playing).

Please tell me how anything wildstar is doing is "new."

1st - read about it a little bit and you will probably see why.

2nd - i will not go on and on about it because it is completely off-topic here, and i do not want to sound like a fan-boy.

3rd - they listen to the community and their testers, and they try to create a world you want to be a part of (what GW2 tried but failed in my opinion to do)

4th - game is best all all worlds - not themepark and not sandbox - but the best mix of both

5th - i kinda like the cartoony feel of it and really hope they will keep to their word and that it will come out this year (and then you and me will see - either i will be right or wrong)

6th - ask any beta tester (even those under NDA) and they will flat out tell you there is so much you don't yet about the game (all good) while on Neverwinter we now know everything and it isn't all that good

all i am saying is Neverwinter should have been much better - and when I played it i felt as if there is this "older guy" explaining to me (like i was at the most 7year-old) what to do next and how to play etc... which is really DUMB in 2013 after so many years and so many MMO games around and after knowing the fact that "new" MMO gamers do not really exist (ohh w8 - small children now can try too - yippy.....)

Just my 2 cents...

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

6th - ask any beta tester (even those under NDA) and they will flat out tell you there is so much you don't yet about the game (all good) while on Neverwinter we now know everything and it isn't all that good

all i am saying is Neverwinter should have been much better - and when I played it i felt as if there is this "older guy" explaining to me (like i was at the most 7year-old) what to do next and how to play etc... which is really DUMB in 2013 after so many years and so many MMO games around and after knowing the fact that "new" MMO gamers do not really exist (ohh w8 - small children now can try too - yippy.....)

...so beta testing is already going under with Wildstar, well I wish I was in.

That "older guy" voiceover wasn't even in last beta weekend, sounds like they've gone a step backwards with the new tutorial from feedback here at least ha.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I must also join the dissappointed group. I was ready for it though after a saw their founder's packs.

I get into a beta.. I play about 8 hours. I uninstall it. I think that's the first time I've not played a full beta weekend for any game. Not a good sign.

Classes don't inspire me.. and I know that future ones will probably be more desirable and cost money.. Classes that should be there in the first place to give the game some credibility.

... It's all part of their plan.

The rooting in combat is a disaster. There is nothing else to say here. Without it, the combat could be awesome.. but it has it, so it's ruined.

All in all though, there wasn't anything I liked really. Some things are OK, but at the end of the day it's just a poor man's vindictus with an awesome (but ruined) IP attached to it.. although it'll probably be a much worse cash shop than Vindictus (based on the disgusting founder pack limitations).. so it's an expensive but lesser Vindictus. It's no secret that they are holding back the most disirable character options and putting them behind $200 price tags for instant access. It's consumer exploitation.

If you want D&D in your MMO, DDO has forgotten realms now. If you want an action combat based instance runner, go for Vindictus.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32

I dont know, maby its just me but i rolled a control wizard to around 12-13. And it just didnt feel like a wizard.

my 2 cents

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

The game feels completely like diablo or torchlight. You get a class and stick to it, no multiclassing which is the special thing about DDO.

Wanna be a DPS fighter? or an evocation wizard? No just stick tot he basic archtypes they give to you...

Most likely other clssses like paladin monk etc will be in the cash shop...

I can't even move and swing my sword, everything roots you in place...

Summary: I agree with the original poster: complete disappointment, If you want D&D go play DDO, much dated but still way better than this

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Haters gonna hate.

All I can say is comparing to other games, look at some things this game has done right. 

It has an in-game voice chat built right in for your party, something that no other MMO that I've played to date has.  I know WoW tried it for a while, but it didn't work and was removed.  Yes, I know most people will use skype/vent/raidcall w/e to voice chat as well, but this really simplifies pugging or doing raids or whatever there is to do in the game that will now not require waiting 10 minutes for each person to connect to a VOIP program.

As for the whole, its a D&D game, but nothing like D&D.  Well, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl or whatever the new ones are aren't like Pokemon the originals either now are they?  Yet a lot of people still play them and like them, some even more than the originals.  Times are changing, and a game company isn't going to make an old school D&D game how all the older players remember it to be, when it already exists and has been recreated for the past 10 years over and over.  If they are stepping out on a limb to make the game theirs, whether it be Cryptic or EA or NCSoft, whoever, I commend them for making a game, that is totally F2P btw, and for trying whether it succeeds or fails.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Agrias34

It has an in-game voice chat built right in for your party, something that no other MMO that I've played to date has. 

What??

There are tons of MMOs with built in party voice.. EQ2 and LOTRO being two off the top of my head.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Agrias34

It has an in-game voice chat built right in for your party, something that no other MMO that I've played to date has. 

What??

There are tons of MMOs with built in party voice.. EQ2 and LOTRO being two off the top of my head.

And DDO...

• KrivvinKrivvin Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by shamus252
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Game does somewhat follow the newer D&D system 4th ED, just that everyone is use to the 3rd ED or lower.

It actually does not really follow 4th Edition at all. Basically, Cryptic has taken particular keywords and used it for a game that is basically nothing like D&D 4th Edition.

Fair Famiry! D:

• KrivvinKrivvin Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Vannor

I must also join the dissappointed group. I was ready for it though after a saw their founder's packs.

I get into a beta.. I play about 8 hours. I uninstall it. I think that's the first time I've not played a full beta weekend for any game. Not a good sign.

Classes don't inspire me.. and I know that future ones will probably be more desirable and cost money.. Classes that should be there in the first place to give the game some credibility.

... It's all part of their plan.

The rooting in combat is a disaster. There is nothing else to say here. Without it, the combat could be awesome.. but it has it, so it's ruined.

All in all though, there wasn't anything I liked really. Some things are OK, but at the end of the day it's just a poor man's vindictus with an awesome (but ruined) IP attached to it.. although it'll probably be a much worse cash shop than Vindictus (based on the disgusting founder pack limitations).. so it's an expensive but lesser Vindictus. It's no secret that they are holding back the most disirable character options and putting them behind $200 price tags for instant access. It's consumer exploitation.

If you want D&D in your MMO, DDO has forgotten realms now. If you want an action combat based instance runner, go for Vindictus.

I share the sentiment. It is to my disappointment that I am disappointed with this game. I tried out every single class and a number of different races. A number of the character models are not impressive and none of the classes particularly feel like they were really inspired by D&D any more than they would be inspired by any given random Medieval Fantasy concept.

The rooting really bothered me when I played as a fighter or rogue. The animations with the devoted cleric's icon was just awkward. I noticed that even if I evaded an attack once they started the attack animation that I would still take damage for it even if I wasn't in the area upon completion of the swing. That is clunky for "action combat." I'm not getting rewarded for my high risk, high reward choices (i.e. cutting it close to keep attacking longer) and have to rely on low risk, low reward choices (i.e. dodge preemptively to avoid damage).

As the OP stated as well, the combat animations are particularly unresponsive so far as enemies responding to the physical force of an attack. Sure, they go flying everywhere when you kill them with something, but the same blow that sends them flying five or six feet on defeat should at least make their bodies jerk backwards. It doesn't feel like there's any real impact to my attacks.

I am fine with the purchase that I made since I bought Torchlight 2 to get beta access. I was going to get any play Torchlight 2 anyway so that's fine.

Though, a friend pointed out that Cryptic has something of a habit of improving upon systems over time. Here's to hoping that they can make improvements upon Neverwinter. I'll have to keep checking back in on it from time to time. It's free to play at least. (Free to Play is not an excuse for a bad game. A bad Free to Play game isn't "you get what you pay for." It is "this company will not earn much money if the game isn't GOOD." I wish people would stop with the whole "Hey, it's a free game. Don't expect it to be as good as XYZ.")

Fair Famiry! D:

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Another game that starts off with a lone survivor from a shipwreck?

What the hell is it with game companies using the same old cliches over and over again?

Honestly though OP your reasons for being disappointed with the game overall seem rather petty. I have no idea if this game will be good or not and your take on the game did nothing to change that notion.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.