Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collision Detection in Camelot Unchained: Yes or No?

Comments

• KuldebarKuldebar Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    MJ himself said he won't repeat WAR's mistakes. CD would cater to ex-WAR players and would piss of the vast majority of ex-DAoCers. There is no chance it's happening guys. Let's move on...

Considering that many ex-DAoC players actually played WAR even if it was to just try it, I don't see your scenario as being likely. And tying WAR's success or failure to its implementation of a collision detection system is asinine.

Seriously, I have never read anyone saying, "WAR would have been a great game, but gosh, they had to have collision detection in the game, what a shame!"

That's fairly absurd reasoning.

Those who tread with ill intent
    Beneath our sacred firmament,
    Whether of Hammer or of Tree,
    Albion's might shall strike at thee!

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

I have no doubt that it's feasible, but from a gameplay perspective is it fun?  Sure, it does add an extra dimension into the equation, but it also  means that players are turned into terrain.

RvR there's mass combat.  Hundreds of players crammed into a castle.  Pure collison detection would more apply to your interactions with your allies then it does your enemies.  You're running into a door to escape from getting killed and you get blocked by friendlies.  You're trying to get on the battlements, to zap people as a mage, but all the good spots are taken.  Constantly getting cockblocked by friendles for getting the kill/denied a kill.  Trying being a stealther sneaking around, you'll rage at your own people.  The net result is, in most cases you're with allies more then you are fighting against an enemy.  This hampers a bit with things like realm pride.

Now if you remove CD from allies, that solves that problem but removes immersion.  While it's kinda of a neat tactical element, it can really stagment keep fights.  It was long enough trying to take in keep in DAoC, but WAR it was even worse.  Having 50-100 people stopped by two fat Orks getting spam healed.  Only the coordinated people on the stairs lasted enough to do any real damage and it was rarely really enough.   May make keep taking too hard.  Where the bulk of areas taken happen where the other side is sleeping.  Really hurts your melee classes offensively.  You'll probably see more casters.

Just my personal opinion from my own experiences and foresight that it wouldn't be very fun.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Kuldebar
    MJ himself said he won't repeat WAR's mistakes. CD would cater to ex-WAR players and would piss of the vast majority of ex-DAoCers. There is no chance it's happening guys. Let's move on...

Considering that many ex-DAoC players actually played WAR even if it was to just try it, I don't see your scenario as being likely. And tying WAR's success or failure to its implementation of a collision detection system is asinine.

Seriously, I have never read anyone saying, "WAR would have been a great game, but gosh, they had to have collision detection in the game, what a shame!"

That's fairly absurd reasoning.

You are trying to spin way too many things. "DAoC's combat was great BUT with CD it would be slightly better", "WAR's combat was crap BUT without CD it would be slightly worse". These arguments are weak as hell.

Originally posted by Foggye

I have no doubt that it's feasible, but from a gameplay perspective is it fun?  Sure, it does add an extra dimension into the equation, but it also  means that players are turned into terrain.

RvR there's mass combat.  Hundreds of players crammed into a castle.  Pure collison detection would imore apply to your interactions with your allies then it does your enemies.  You're running into a door to escape from getting killed and you get blocked by friendlies.  You're trying to get on the battlements, to zap people as a mage, but all the good spots are taken.  Constantly getting cockblocked by friendles.  Trying being a stealther sneaking around, you'll rage at your own people.  The net result is, in most cases you're with allies more then you are fighting against an enemy.  This hampers a bit with things like realm pride.

Now if you remove CD from allies, that solves that problem but removes immersion.  While it's kinda of a neat tactical element, it can really stagment keep fights.  It was long enough trying to take in keep in DAoC, but WAR it was even worse.  Having 50-100 people stopped by two fat Orks getting spam healed.  Only the coordinated people on the stairs lasted enough to do any real damage and it was rarely really enough.   May make keep taking too hard.  Where the bulk of areas taken happen where the other side is sleeping.  Really hurts your smaller groups and single groupless players in my opinion.

Just my opinion from my own experiences that it just isn't very fun. 

Look, you have a well reasoned post, but without collision detection between players you will have situations where large numbers players can congregate into a very small amount of space, that's just not conducive to a good combat experience.

Treating players like terrain is superior in every way, because that is exactly what gives the players character an anchor in the game world, a value by just existing and being part of a force.

• Dane_WildingDane_Wilding Member Posts: 16

RvR there's mass combat.  Hundreds of players crammed into a castle.  Pure collison detection would imore apply to your interactions with your allies then it does your enemies.  You're running into a door to escape from getting killed and you get blocked by friendlies.  You're trying to get on the battlements, to zap people as a mage, but all the good spots are taken.  Constantly getting cockblocked by friendles.  Trying being a stealther sneaking around, you'll rage at your own people.  The net result is, in most cases you're with allies more then you are fighting against an enemy.  This hampers a bit with things like realm pride.

Now if you remove CD from allies, that solves that problem but removes immersion.  While it's kinda of a neat tactical element, it can really stagment keep fights.  It was long enough trying to take in keep in DAoC, but WAR it was even worse.  Having 50-100 people stopped by two fat Orks getting spam healed.  Only the coordinated people on the stairs lasted enough to do any real damage and it was rarely really enough.   May make keep taking too hard.  Where the bulk of areas taken happen where the other side is sleeping.  Really hurts your smaller groups and single groupless players in my opinion.

Mark said himself he wanted to do everything he could to hamper zerg combat, and to spread people out along objectives. CD would hurt zergs that try to take a small castle with WAY too many people. This could also be countered by having destructable walls and scaling ladders and the like. 

Use smaller forces for small towers.

Use larger forces for large castles.

Use small skirmish groups to control resource areas.

It would force the battle to be played the way it should.

• tokeshtokesh Member Posts: 35
    Look, you have a well reasoned post, but without collision detection between players you will have situations where large numbers players can congregate into a very small amount of space, that's just not conducive to a good combat experience.

Treating players like terrain is superior in every way, because that is exactly what gives the players character an anchor in the game world, a value by just existing and being part of a force.

I wouldn't worry about it.  It's not gonna happen anyway.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

That's only if he consdiers it "a mistake". Maybe he considers that one of Warhammer's good points?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Sovrath

That's only if he consdiers it "a mistake". Maybe he considers that one of Warhammer's good points?

Exactly

WAR made plenty of mistakes

2 factions

a campaign that had to reset

instanced pvp to escape into

a system that rewarded RVE and keep flipping

A sharper almost wow like gear curve

but CD wasnt one of them, and neither were things like the TOK, morale bar and tank abilities like hold the line.

You are trying to spin way too many things. "DAoC's combat was great BUT with CD it would be slightly better", "WAR's combat was crap BUT without CD it would be slightly worse". These arguments are weak as hell.

Hardly, you are doing the spinning, what I said and even your somewhat paraphrased example of what I said makes perfect sense.

Let's examine the logic of what you seem to be using in regards to my position:

A. DAoC was a great game

B. DAoC didn't have player collision detection.

Conclusion:  All great games don't have player collision detection

A. WAR was a bad game

B. WAR had player collision detection.

Conclusion: All bad games have player collision detection.

See the problems with your logic?

My position:

A. DAoC was a successful game despite not having player collision detection.

B. WAR was not as successful even though it had player collision detection.

Conclusion: Collision Detection isn't the only characteristic that can make a game good or bad.

It not only removes immersion, it also creates HELL for melee dps. Imagine a small caster kiting you by repeatedly going through a large tank.

Well with war it was more the keep layout, if you have lots of paths through the keep, that would make it harder to wall it off, and there was ways round it for coordinated teams like knock down, knock back, pulls etc..  War could have really benefited from some of the bypassing stuff from daoc.

There are advantages to CD.

1 you cant plant a huge zerg of people in one spot

2 the bunny hopping wow kiddies just hinder themselves

as for friendly CD, they could just do what war and aoc do - let you pass through friendly targets after a few seconds of pushing against them,

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50

It not only removes immersion, it also creates HELL for melee dps. Imagine a small caster kiting you by repeatedly going through a large tank.

/stick ftw!!!

It's called working together. Tanks should be USEFULL on the battlefield. Or should this game be like GW2 where everyone is glass cannon? If you want that, then go play GW2. 

Hardly, you are doing the spinning, what I said and even your somewhat paraphrased example of what I said makes perfect sense.

A. DAoC was a great game

A. WAR was a bad game

My position:

Conclusion: Collision Detection isn't the only characteristic that can make a game good or bad.

yeah exactly

I can use the reverse logic too

WOW, RIFT, EQ & SWTOR have shit PVP, they have no collision detection

planetside has great pvp, it has collision detction

therefore no collision detection = bad pvp.  which plainly aint the case, seen as daoc and ac dont have it.

A. DAoC was a great game

A. WAR was a bad game

My position:

All of your conclusions are either lies or wrong. You are terrible at this. I'm out.

Originally posted by Dane_Wilding

It's called working together. Tanks should be USEFULL on the battlefield. Or should this game be like GW2 where everyone is glass cannon? If you want that, then go play GW2. 

not only that, CD can work in your favour as a mdps.  Corner that mage, he isnt going anywhere.

I suggest you educate yourself (by playing some DAoC) before posting on these forums or else nobody will take you seriously.

That's not making sense. If you can run or hide or walk through another player, that means you don't have collision detection enabaled for players.

Games that allow friendlies to clip through each otehr generally do so only when out of combat.

The blends of collision detection are what decides these things.

The 'stone" method is far less forgiving and used for opponents while the "mud" method or "water" is generally used for friendly player intersection and often only when not in combat.

I suggest you educate yourself (by playing some DAoC) before posting on these forums or else nobody will take you seriously.

---------------------------------

^

Sounds like you may want to play some other games other than DAoC for some perspective.

Well if that isn't a big "fuck you" then I don't know what is. Thanks.

Your use of personal insults and lack of evidence to back up claims seems to damage your reputation and ability to be taken seriously. Much more so than not having played your favorite game. I'm sorry I love RvR and haven't played DAoC? Is this some huge elitest party for members only? 

I just remembered: WAR had a thing where if you ran infront of someone for 5 seconds you would go through him. Isn't that ridiculous? 

I just remembered: WAR had a thing where if you ran infront of someone for 5 seconds you would go through him. Isn't that ridiculous? 

I thought you left?

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

I imagine it really does hurt the melee dps, and that you'll probably see a lot more casters since they wouldn't need to jump hurdles just to do damage.

I'm sure they're are ways to make CD very viable.  I believe someone mentioned physical keep damage, and ladders to get around logjams.  Although, it's something that needs to be considered not only from it's own impact, but it's impact to other things (group comp, interruption, line of sight, keep combat, melee classes, personal/small combat, cc, knockbacks, escaping).

If it gets backed (it should be coded to be modular so it could be removed if it's not wanted/needed) then I think that the best is move is to have the alpha testers (the backers) test and give input to see if it's a valid and worthwhile element to CU.  The backers are gonna be the most objective about it.

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50

Well if that isn't a big "fuck you" then I don't know what is. Thanks.

Your use of personal insults and lack of evidence to back up claims seems to damage your reputation and ability to be taken seriously. Much more so than not having played a single game. I'm sorry I love RvR and haven't played DAoC? Is this some huge elitest party for members only? 

Seems that way doesn't it! There were ways to combat this in DAoC so if dynamicipftw had issues with casters doing this he wasn't worth anything as a melee class IMO.

Only ridiculous in that you think it's relevant to the discussion of collision detection.

Only ridiculous in that you think it's relevant to the discussion of collision detection.

Of course it's relevant. You collide for 5 seconds but then you don't? How does that not completely destroy immersion?