Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome "first-time-impression"! What's the catch?

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

I have always known about this game, as everyone else around here, but I have never really paid attention to it. For me, I thought the game was doomed as a heavy instanced game, with bad mechanics and generic questing, ruined by a P2W shop! I guess I was wrong?

I have played now for an hour (not much, but still!) and I really liked it! Everything seems so well polished so far and it looks like a game that could be my main game, now in a near future. But I have not explored the in-game shop (if it's up yet?), or anything else that is "important" for a good game with a bright future. I have just tried the game, without knowing anything!

I have heard so much bad about Cryptic and Perfect World and that's the part that makes me worried! What's the catch? Will the future be bright for this game, even in their hands? Is this game just awesome, or is there anything terribly wrong with it? Why should I NOT be playing this game? 

Thanks and have a good day! :)

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    it's free it's fun and you'll be able to create your own dungeons/missions ect and share them with everyone.. i like it:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I like it too - really looking forward to designing some dungeons.  So far, the game has been great fun.

The cash shop will probably be like the other Cryptic ones, you don't really need anything from them, and you can earn currency in the game that you can trade for cash shop currency for the things you do want.

There's a lot here for free, and so far, it's fun.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Yeah I took a gamble last beta and it definitely paid off. Very good game.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m having a good impression too so far,

I see myself investing some time in Neverwinter :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I was able to play 2+ hours, and yes overall I too have a good impression. A few notes however:

- I am still crashing VERY often, which isn't fun.

- animations do look a bit clunky. No deal breaker, but could be better

- I loved Neverwinter, looks busy like a real city and nice.

- positive also is the classic dungeon run feeling, tho of course I only saw two so far.

- classes seem not entirely balanced. Cleric was almost unfair strong with his self-heals and ranged attacks.

- I found Rogue the most fun so far.

- I have no clue how grouping is, being totally tired I must try that tomorrow. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

I was able to play 2+ hours, and yes overall I too have a good impression. A few notes however:

- I am still crashing VERY often, which isn't fun.

- animations do look a bit clunky. No deal breaker, but could be better

- I loved Neverwinter, looks busy like a real city and nice.

- positive also is the classic dungeon run feeling, tho of course I only saw two so far.

- classes seem not entirely balanced. Cleric was almost unfair strong with his self-heals and ranged attacks.

- I found Rogue the most fun so far.

- I have no clue how grouping is, being totally tired I must try that tomorrow. XD

yea same rogue is most fun for me.. and same cleric feels so strong at low levels compared to the other classes, but that could even out later on I dunno.. no crashing for me not sure what's causing yours

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

i keep trying to play.... for some reason my router/modem is getting reset every time i log in after a short bit. it dont do it for anyother game or application. just neverwinter.

now onto the game. i dont really care for the faces. at all. they look really really bad to me. the class locks on items are starting to really irritate me as well. i mean i found a belt that was only usable by the GWF and he aint even in this beta lol. hopefully it gets better and i can stay logged in for more than 5 mins. 

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I need to test it a bit more but so far this is a poor game. Borderline insulting really. I feel its target audience is between the ages of 9 and 14.
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    I need to test it a bit more but so far this is a poor game. Borderline insulting really. I feel its target audience is between the ages of 9 and 14.

May I ask why you think it is a poor game?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by LIOKI

[mod edit]

I find the game really entertaining so far, playing one of those "overpowered" Devoted Clerics with a couple other friends (Trickster Rogue and Guardian Fighter) and we're loving every little detail. The dungeons have a really fitting atmosphere to them. And I really can't wait to get my hands on the Foundry.

Only stopped playing for dinner since the beta weekend started and now waiting for my partners to return from their own dinner to continue playing.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Nicksino999Nicksino999 Member Posts: 11

I only made it to level 10...but its just not for me.  This is a game where you play characters created by developers..sad really.  here are some of my issues.

- no zoom (@!$&* What?)

- Quest glitter - i know you can turn it off but the fact they even include this says alot about the game they created...very linear outside of what players make..let them pay and do the work F*N Brilliant!

- clunky animations - Compared to tera (which isnt a game I enjoy either) thier animations are lacking. 

- You feel lighter than it looks - watching the total biscuit youtube video made me think this game you will feel heavy...not really.

- Perfect example of how you are playing cryptics character, you cant take out your weapon your self..they do it for you. (if there is a way to do this let me know!)

- the cleric glide is stupid

- same starting zone for everyone

- the music has no variation

- the cutscenes without voices look worst than tera and aion (didnt think that was possible)

- quest dont scale to amount of people in your group. (maybe this is different for dungeons you would think)

- no story options

- all classes starting out feel the same...except clerics are massively OP

there is more...but ya ill just say its not for me.  I hope others will enjoy it.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Logged in for about 15min. Used a dozen bad words in the meantime due to stuff pissing me off. Logged out.

On a more serious note:

• The game feels like it was designed 2002 or so. The controls are awful, you can not even rightclick stuff. I mean, seriously?
    • Animations look bad, plain and simple bad. Watching my GFs rogue walk made me cry.
    • No hp-regen, using potions to stay alive... how fun is that? Not.
    • The grafics look like they are made for a target audience between 8 and 12, maybe 14 tops. I am feeling way to old for this. If i want this grafics i can go and watch spongebob.
    • Questtrails. Watched my GF play for 8 level. Asked her what quests she did after that. She had no clue and told me she just followed the lightbeam and smacked around everything that looked hostile.
    • I asked myself a simple question. A question everyone should ask him / herself, without pink glasses and hype involved: "Is this fun?". The awnser is no. No it is not fun FOR ME.
    To sum it up: Ill pass on this one and call it "another game that should have been great, but ended up crap".

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

They should really remove the option to activate a sparkling trail so people can stop ruining the game for themselves. As someone memorably quoted "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people".

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    They should really remove the sparkling trail so people can stop ruining the game for themselves. As someone memorably quoted "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can take the stupid from people".

funny i don't remember people having such in issue with it in the everquest games

• Nicksino999Nicksino999 Member Posts: 11
    I never played EQ...but i thought it was not a quest focused game....maybe iam wrong?
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Had no intention of playing this but I have to admit... I'm impressed.  At its base, its fun for me - which is enough to keep me going for now.

Suprisingly found the lore immersive (so far).  Definitely has its faults (what MMORPG doesn't).  Really dislike the lack of zoom when playing (can only do it to look around).  I like the aesthetics but it could use a coat of love to give it a more presentable feel (this IS beta so a strong possibility).

Character creator was sparse and I wasn't in love with the models.  They were detailed but 'flat' and look faded.  I couldnt create anything that I liked.  I have gotten used to more options but can live with what they have given me.  Not a deal breaker.

I typically dont like action combat but I had fun playing this.  It felt 'impactful'   I did find the combat to be *too* powerful, where I was not in fear of dying.  I hope they dont make it super easy and put a bit of challenge into it (or at least the option for us to dial it up or down).

But this is just initial impressions of a lowly level 4.  The real key is going to be longevity and diversity.  

I know it has crafting but is it *fun*, *valuable* crafting or just tacked on?  

Its heavily instanced.  Will that make the world feel smaller than what it is or will it focus the game on the 'fun' parts.  I did try to explore the starter area and was saddened when I tried to reach a far out wrecked ship only to hit the invisible wall.  But feel  all out exploration is not what they are going for in this title.

How deep is the character progression if it exists at all?  

Will there be a gear grind? If so will it at least be fun?  

And the big elephant in the room is how will the foundry play out.  If we can get a ton of quality player-created content it could be a keeper for me.

I honestly felt like this game was a spiritual mix of Dragon's Nest (in terms of combat) and Dungeon and Dragons Online (in terms of RPG traits - albeit very light).  Both of which I enjoyed in limited fashion for different reasons.

Im not looking at this is as a full-fledged MMORPG, but more so as a dungeon crawler that has other MMO components that I enjoy doing, focusing on the activity itself rather than the process of getting there.  Streamlined if you will.

Looking forward to more... 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I haven't played and I really can't pass judgement, but after seeing this video several weeks ago I went "what the heck!"

I understand the game can't be like the actual pen and paper game, but come on with the rapid fire magic missiles. That is just totally not cool imho. I hope this isn't what the game is structured around with all classes. Gary Gygax is turning in his grave. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Nicksino999
    I never played EQ...but i thought it was not a quest focused game....maybe iam wrong?

The beauty of EQ is it was what you wanted it to be.  There were quests if you wanted to do them.  There were glowing trails if you wanted to use them.  But no where was it forced and you were able to play the way you wanted.  Its a shame no one will copy THAT model even if it is for a small community.   I dont believe there will be one MMO that *everyone* plays.  Genre/community is too big and diverse for that anymore.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I haven't played and I really can't pass judgement, but after seeing this video several weeks ago I went "what the heck!"

I understand the game can't be like the actual pen and paper game, but come on with the rapid fire magic missiles. That is just totally not cool imho. I hope this isn't what the game is structured around with all classes. Gary Gygax is turning in his grave. /shrug

It is a strange hybrid of sorts.  Its almost button-mashing action coupled with common RPG tropes based lightly on D&D rule set (i.e. it has feats, etc).   But though its an almgamation it is strangely fun (at least in the beginning).  I plan to stick around and see where it goes for now.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Amjoco

It is a strange hybrid of sorts.  Its almost button-mashing action coupled with common RPG tropes based lightly on D&D rule set (i.e. it has feats, etc).   But though its an almgamation it is strangely fun (at least in the beginning).  I plan to stick around and see where it goes for now.

I will definitely give it a try when I can. Like I said, I can't pass judgement on that video alone. I'm a huge nerd like the rest of you and can't just pass it up because of that! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Pleasantly surprised myself, I'll give this a long go.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    They should really remove the option to activate a sparkling trail so people can stop ruining the game for themselves. As someone memorably quoted "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people".

You can remove it. Z

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

You can remove it. Z

Yeah, but I mean it should be removed, and no option to activate it at all.

Some people here seem to report that even though they know they can remove it, they don't because it's there, and having it activated makes them rush through content without really knowing what's going on. That's where the quote "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people" comes in.

It's pretty much "look, this feature is unfun and breaks my immersion, but since it's there I'll use it anyway". I can imagine the person drooling like a cave troll afterwards.

You can remove it. Z

Some people here seem to report that even though they know they can remove it, they don't because it's there, and having it activated makes them rush through content without really knowing what's going on. That's where the quote "You can take the stupid from a game, but you can't take the stupid from people" comes in.

It's pretty much "look, this feature is unfun and breaks my immersion, but since it's there I'll use it anyway". I can imagine the person drooling like a cave troll afterwards.

It should be an option if anything allowing it to exist for those who want it.  You cant control (or condemn) people who use it without knowledge.  If they rush through content without taking the time to understand why, there is a bigger issue at hand beyond the scope of this thread.

What breaks immersion for you may be what another gamer wants to have.

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

You can remove it. Z

It should be an option if anything allowing it to exist for those who want it.  You cant control (or condemn) people who use it without knowledge.  If they rush through content without taking the time to understand why, there is a bigger issue at hand beyond the scope of this thread.

What breaks immersion for you may be what another gamer wants to have.

Yeah, my quarry is with those that know that they can remove it, but they don't, just because it exists. Instead, they complain that the feature is ruining the game for them. Seem to be a couple of those in the first page of this thread. I mean... if you know that you can remove it, and having it enabled is making the game unfun for you... 1+1=2?

By the way, the tutorial slaps a big message in your face that explains that you can toggle the sparkling trail with "Z".