Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Ingame Map

HagnarHagnar Member UncommonPosts: 39
Well, as the thread title above says, am I the only one who would LOVE to have NO ingame map? I remember vividly first months spent in Dark Age of Camelot, with no ingame Map.. and I didn't have the physical map because I downloaded the client. As a first timer in mmorpg's universe, with no map, I felt a truly sense of wonder and discover as I went around my realm (Midgard for the Win!). Yes, I got lost most of the times, but the travel was itself a joy for me and many memories are bounded to these moments of exploration. I would like to know if the no-map is viable or not. 

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

Comments

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

+1

I love getting lost in games and having to memorize the world. Maps and minimaps destroy any kind of immersion - especially the new interactive ones like in GW2.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    This. Yes. Opens up possibilities for scouts and/or divination casters to have v limited, short duration map abilities to account for greater recon skills, as well.

Prolly not what you were thinking. Just an idle thought.

Definitely no map.
  • HagnarHagnar Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    This. Yes. Opens up possibilities for scouts and/or divination casters to have v limited, short duration map abilities to account for greater recon skills, as well.

Prolly not what you were thinking. Just an idle thought.

Definitely no map.

Well, in my mind I was also kinda figuring scouts getting more useful to all realm mates than the other games if there's no map.. 

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

What about a map that fills in as you travel? Kind of as if you were walking and making a map of the places you have visited?

People have been using maps for ages, why do we need to stumble around in the dark in our games?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AdeptusArbitratorAdeptusArbitrator Member Posts: 35
    I wouldn't mind a map inventory item. Like... its already all filled in, but you need to click on it inside your inventory (imagine stumbling around in your bag to fish one out), and even then you're just given a map, no arrow to represent "YOU ARE HERE" like in other games.

camelot-rp.enjin.com - A hub for roleplayers in Camelot Unchained!

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Agreed Hagnar. 100% with ya on this for sure. I need this game. In my veins. My body is ready, et al.

:)
  • OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I think it'd be nice to have no map, or like someone posted, one that fills in as you explore.
  • tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by Slampig

What about a map that fills in as you travel? Kind of as if you were walking and making a map of the places you have visited?

People have been using maps for ages, why do we need to stumble around in the dark in our games?

Originally posted by AdeptusArbitrator
    I wouldn't mind a map inventory item. Like... its already all filled in, but you need to click on it inside your inventory (imagine stumbling around in your bag to fish one out), and even then you're just given a map, no arrow to represent "YOU ARE HERE" like in other games.

these kinda go hand in hand, and make sense. there is no reason NOT to have a map, but it should need to be player generated in a way.

they could also make a trade skill that allows map making...and let players sell ther maps to others as well. of course thsi would cause MUCH gnashing of teeth.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

I really enjoyed it back in DAOC, but now that we've all gotten used to it I wonder if we'd like it, or find it more annoying.

I do think there's something to be said for back in the day, I learned my way around by landmarks / sight. Not all this just whip open a map/minimap to figure out where to go.

With a map, for the most part, you can pop it open and know exactly what's in a zone already. Without a map, you won't know something's there without physcially discovering it.

Remember /loc and /faceloc ? hehehe

can't believe we basically used to use latitude/longitude to get around, rather than a map back in the day lol

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I wouldn't mind having an in game map that only displayed my position in the world and nothing else, especially other players.  Assuming they can somehow figure out how to prevent radar/hacking it would be great to actually make scouting important once again. ( a favor role of my stealther characters)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

+1

No maps given, make your own...discover....search, etc

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Yes in game map. If you don't want to use it, then just don't.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

IMO the best fit for the game would be a map, but an old style map, like they'd actually use back in the middle ages.

No "radar," or sucht hings.

They could even tie this into scouts more by allowing scouts the ability to make maps based on lands they've seen, however also for more gameplay, by allowing scouts the ability to influence the maps of their group/guild perhaps.

If anyone here has played the game Mount and Blade,  as you travel it is done in an over-world view of the world similar to a map, depending on your scouting skills you can see enemy tracks, the direction they were going, etc and your skill in scouting helps determine things, such as showing oyu has "Fresh" or old tracks are and other details about tracks.

It would be nice if scouts could see this kind of information (or even see enemy players) and then on the map of their gorup/guild they could see the direction that the scout saw enemy players headed.

It wouldn't be like a Radar, wher eit shows you up-to date precise info, but just a general "Enemy group, headed this direction" type of thing, something that a REAL scout would want to know and report about like they did back int he day.

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103

I could go for no in-game map, but have /position (lat and long) and the ability to turn on an arrow pointing north under your feet. 

Maybe a hard copy map of the whole world could be a KS reward gained at launch.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

I am all for a static, in-game map which does NOT reflect any dynamic events, such as battles or seiges.  The map should only represent terrain and landmarks, such as keeps or other noteworthy structures.

That said, MJ mentioned the idea of changing terrain.  If this were the case (and I hope it is) how would an in-game map be affected?  Would it immediately reflect a change in terrain?

Thinking about this gave me a brainstorm.  In DAoC, when an NPC guard was killed, the Guild which controlled the keep received a message stating something akin to: A guard at your keep as been slain with <x amount of> enemies nearby.  This was a decent method of warning which created some different strategies regarding keep takes, i.e. stealth takes where a group would try to assault the Lord without killing any guards... or at least, waiting as long as possible before killing any guards.

How about a more organic method of warning: when a keep is attacked, every 90 seconds or so, 3 NPC couriers are dispatched from the besieged keep.  They move at a very high rate of speed, but are attackable and killable.  Warning of the seige is only broadcast when one of the couriers reaches the owning realm's gates or base.

Just a thought.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

+1 million to OP.  I hate in-game maps.  You get far more immersed into a world and really feel a part of it when you have to learn the world and you watch it as you run by instead of just having a map open and running around.

Original UO and Everquest engrossed me like no other MMORPGs that followed simply because they didn't have maps.  Sure, you could print out a map, but you still had to navigate your way around by looking at the world, and it makes a world of difference.

• shadeviceshadevice Member CommonPosts: 68
    I hate to rain on your parade but even if there is no maps in CU, there will be on the internet. Ofc its your choice to find them but it will take a strong will to resist the temptation when you're lost as hell, wasting time, yelling at your wife and breaking your keyboard. 
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by sweetdigs

+1 million to OP.  I hate in-game maps.  You get far more immersed into a world and really feel a part of it when you have to learn the world and you watch it as you run by instead of just having a map open and running around.

Original UO and Everquest engrossed me like no other MMORPGs that followed simply because they didn't have maps.  Sure, you could print out a map, but you still had to navigate your way around by looking at the world, and it makes a world of difference.

UO had maps, they were player created (Cartogpher skill) an dyou could buy them from other players, they also had treasure maps you could use to find treasure and other things.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by sweetdigs

UO had maps, they were player created (Cartogpher skill) an dyou could buy them from other players, they also had treasure maps you could use to find treasure and other things.

Did I just hear another crafting skill?

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!