Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fluff and housing is lost

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

No.  Second life is very very different from a Fantasy Game.  And it was actually very popular.

It was so popular that at its hight its average user log in length was 14min per month. As for the total fantasy setting, there are similar titles to that already, such as Wurm Online, and all of them struggle getting more than 5k players, if that. The demand is just not there.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

No.  Second life is very very different from a Fantasy Game.  And it was actually very popular.

It was so popular that at its hight its average user log in length was 14min per month. As for the total fantasy setting, there are similar titles to that already, such as Wurm Online, and all of them struggle getting more than 5k players, if that. The demand is just not there.

I would submit that that is not evidence of lack of demand, it is evidence that they haven't been able to effectively adapt what made the sandbox spg popular into an mmo setting.

And of course the graphics and UI layout of wurm well it turned me off anyway.  The no tutorial and zero guidane is a bit of a turn off as well.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would submit that that is not evidence of lack of demand, it is evidence that they haven't been able to effectively adapt what made the sandbox spg popular into an mmo setting.

And of course the graphics and UI layout of wurm well it turned me off anyway.  The no tutorial and zero guidane is a bit of a turn off as well.

There is no evidence that there is such a demand. Devs don't operate because there is no evidence of a lack of demand. If you are an investoer, you would want at least some evidence that there is a market.

Even before the first EQ, there is some evidence that a hack-n-slask online RPG will have an audience (Diku muds, NWN on AOL, Kingdom of Drakkar, Island of Kesmai ...).

And i would say Second Life, and the failure of SIMS online pretty much says that there is a lack of demand for a fluff centric "game".

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

There is lack of demand in sufficient quantity to make it worth the effort to explore. Lack of graphics or tutorial did not stop Minecrafts own rise in popularity afterall. Besides, what bonus do you get from putting in a "persistant" world setting? Especially when you look at all of the problems that eleminating that amount of segregation also causes.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

There is no evidence that there is such a demand. Devs don't operate because there is no evidence of a lack of demand. If you are an investoer, you would want at least some evidence that there is a market.

Even before the first EQ, there is some evidence that a hack-n-slask online RPG will have an audience (Diku muds, NWN on AOL, Kingdom of Drakkar, Island of Kesmai ...).

And i would say Second Life, and the failure of SIMS online pretty much says that there is a lack of demand for a fluff centric "game".

The evidence is in the spg games, that definately shows people like sandbox.  There is little evidence for MMO, however that doesn't mean that people don't want it.  As I stated before it may just mean that it hasn't been adopted properly. 

Before WoW EQ was the highest pop game at 450k, a little less than Eve is now, the others (not at their peak but at the same time) were betweeen 10 and 200k about the same as sandbox now.  Which means today there is just as much evidence in the MMO genre for a sandbox game, as there was back then for a themepark game, or really any MMO.

Once again, spg games show people like creating, they like to be involved in the story, they like sandbox.  MMO sandbox show that people do not like ffa pvp, they don't like to have their creations destroyed.  Once those gaps are bridged effectively in a fun game with lots of variety and decent graphics, and yes help and tutorials (some guidance), I bet it would be a hit. 

edit - and that runs as smooth as wow.

Once again, spg games show people like creating, they like to be involved in the story, they like sandbox.  MMO sandbox show that people do not like ffa pvp, they don't like to have their creations destroyed.  Once those gaps are bridged effectively in a fun game with lots of variety and decent graphics, and yes help and tutorials (some guidance), I bet it would be a hit. 

Let's examine that. Two popular games about creating ... minecraft and SIMS. However, none is in a fantasy setting. None has anything to do with fantasy RPG. It is as valid to say people like a virtual lego set as that they want to create.

And how is want to be involved in the story = they like sandbox. In fact, what i see is that people like canned, scripted stories (tell me how many top sellers have those starting with HALO). That is not a sandbox.

And even SKYRIM, which people touted so much .. is not a sandbox in terms of story. You go through voice cut scenes, not unlike TOR. The only freedom is to do some side quests at the order you prefer .. the main quest is the same. This is no different than WOW with some optional quests. The only freedom is travel, with an instant travel option.

So sure .. if you think SKYRIM is popular, and MMO needs some SKYRIM features, please put all of those into the game, which i think the elder school MMO will have.

Let's examine that. Two popular games about creating ... minecraft and SIMS. However, none is in a fantasy setting. None has anything to do with fantasy RPG. It is as valid to say people like a virtual lego set as that they want to create.

And how is want to be involved in the story = they like sandbox. In fact, what i see is that people like canned, scripted stories (tell me how many top sellers have those starting with HALO). That is not a sandbox.

And even SKYRIM, which people touted so much .. is not a sandbox in terms of story. You go through voice cut scenes, not unlike TOR. The only freedom is to do some side quests at the order you prefer .. the main quest is the same. This is no different than WOW with some optional quests. The only freedom is travel, with an instant travel option.

So sure .. if you think SKYRIM is popular, and MMO needs some SKYRIM features, please put all of those into the game, which i think the elder school MMO will have.

In a sandbox game people can shape the direction of the world, ergo they can shape the story.  Minecraft not being fantasy is IMO a red herring, completely irrelevant. 

But in skyrim the world does respond to you, much like in a sandbox, it also lets you design th character that you want, much like a sandbox.

In a sandbox game people can shape the direction of the world, ergo they can shape the story.  Minecraft not being fantasy is IMO a red herring, completely irrelevant. 

But in skyrim the world does respond to you, much like in a sandbox, it also lets you design th character that you want, much like a sandbox.

Minecraft is a building game, not relevant here.

In SKYRIM, you have zero control over the main story (or even teh side quest). The choices (like you race) is no difference than any standard RPG. Baldur Gates is an example. You can customerize and design your char. Does that make it a sandbox?

There is of course some story branching .. but no difference than say Dragons Age of Mass Effects. Are those sandbox too?

Minecraft is a building game, not relevant here.

In SKYRIM, you have zero control over the main story (or even teh side quest). The choices (like you race) is no difference than any standard RPG. Baldur Gates is an example. You can customerize and design your char. Does that make it a sandbox?

There is of course some story branching .. but no difference than say Dragons Age of Mass Effects. Are those sandbox too?

I think it's very relevant, it shows people like to build, which is a key element in sandbox.

In skyrim you have no choice in how the story progresses - I think that would be a nice touch myself.  Good thing I didn't comment that was something Skyrim did that makes it sandbox like.  I said the world responds to you and you can design your character. 

Customizing your character is definately needed for a sandbox, however it is not the only feature. 

I think it's very relevant, it shows people like to build, which is a key element in sandbox.

In skyrim you have no choice in how the story progresses - I think that would be a nice touch myself.  Good thing I didn't comment that was something Skyrim did that makes it sandbox like.  I said the world responds to you and you can design your character. 

Customizing your character is definately needed for a sandbox, however it is not the only feature. 

Building buildings, and terrain is not the same as shaping stories. There is NO MMO that is focus on building, except tales of the desert. Unless there are more, it is irrelevant.

Having the world responding to you .. is there for almost all single player game. That is not something that is special. Heck, even in D3, the "world" respond to me. After you kill Azmodan, he remains dead (unlike MMOs).

If Skyrim is made into an online game with most of its featuers intact, i doubt the sandbox crowd would be very pleased.

Building buildings, and terrain is not the same as shaping stories. There is NO MMO that is focus on building, except tales of the desert. Unless there are more, it is irrelevant.

Having the world responding to you .. is there for almost all single player game. That is not something that is special. Heck, even in D3, the "world" respond to me. After you kill Azmodan, he remains dead (unlike MMOs).

If Skyrim is made into an online game with most of its featuers intact, i doubt the sandbox crowd would be very pleased.

I never said building buildings is the same as shaping stories.  Shaping stories is not the only component of a sandbox, building is also a component.  Minecraft is a sandbox, it is popular.  It shows that people like building.  Building is a component in sandbox, therefore it is relevant. 

Yes having the world respond to you is a part of spg, and is one reason why they are popular.  It is also a component of sandbox. 

If skyrim was made into a mmo with most of the features intack I also do not think that most players would be pleased which is why I never said that it should be made into a mmo with most features intact.

I said once again, that games like minecraft, Terraria, Skyrim show that people like building, they show that people like to have the world respond to them.  Both are elements of sadnbox.  IF an MMO can bring these features in a way that lets people be safe, not engage in ffapvp and let their creations not be destroyed I think it will be a hit. 

edit - and there are several games that let you build buildings.  Both present and the past, no it is not the focus of the game and should not be the focus, it should be a component.  swg, istaria, atitd, eq2, vg probably more, all let you build buildings. 

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Or maybe it's you. There's been loads of posts about this for a long time now. New releases built like you suggest are dropping users like flies in a Raid factory. When can this arguement die?

That is only because raiding is getting old.

Look at LOL ... nothnig but fighting pvp in the same map and the number of players increased and surpassed WOW in terms of players.

Look at the top 10 online games on xfire .. how many are combat focus? I doubt you can argue that combat is not a central popular gameplay.

Please compare p2p games, not f2p(LOL) with p2p(WoW).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Let's examine that. Two popular games about creating ... minecraft and SIMS. However, none is in a fantasy setting. None has anything to do with fantasy RPG.

Why does an MMO have to be fantasy setting?

And even SKYRIM, which people touted so much .. is not a sandbox in terms of story.

The scripted story is the themepark part, narius. Of course there's nothing sandbox about it. Did you also know that in terms of heat, fire isn't cold?  

Venge has a very good point. Not only is it a good point but it already works successfully in Free Realms, but only because that game caters to people just looking to play a fun game and not the people who are going down checklists to pigeonhole them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    No, we don't need fluff, housing or other stuff not involving killing. Devoting as much time to them as "the killing part" is mad, because those features are nowhere near as popular. The killing stuff sells - fluff & housing does not.

Yea you're right.  Because the Sims wasn't one of the best selling games of all time.   A game that was nearly entirely nothing but fluff, housing, etc.    Woops. 

Your point is now dead.  You're welcome. 

Sims is essentially a virtual dollhouse. It tapped a previously untapped market. It was greatly popular especially among female players. Now there's a lot of generalization behind this thought, but it is more or less true.

Add to that, it makes for a great, modded, single-player experience. As an MMO it failed.

funny cause from what i understand sim city is booming

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Well if one is to believe you guys, the path of least resistance game design should provide a thousand years of superiority.

I guess we will see.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Squeak69

Sims is essentially a virtual dollhouse. It tapped a previously untapped market. It was greatly popular especially among female players. Now there's a lot of generalization behind this thought, but it is more or less true.

Add to that, it makes for a great, modded, single-player experience. As an MMO it failed.

Sims and Sim City are two different games. Sim City is a business simulator and it is suffering from a crippling DRM at the moment. People are very unhappy with it as a result.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Aeolyn
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Or maybe it's you. There's been loads of posts about this for a long time now. New releases built like you suggest are dropping users like flies in a Raid factory. When can this arguement die?

That is only because raiding is getting old.

Look at LOL ... nothnig but fighting pvp in the same map and the number of players increased and surpassed WOW in terms of players.

Look at the top 10 online games on xfire .. how many are combat focus? I doubt you can argue that combat is not a central popular gameplay.

Please compare p2p games, not f2p(LOL) with p2p(WoW).

Take LOTRO in the place of WOW. There are plenty of F2P games to compare to. Plus, P2P is dying anyway. You won't see many P2P MMOs in teh future.

I said once again, that games like minecraft, Terraria, Skyrim show that people like building, they show that people like to have the world respond to them.  Both are elements of sadnbox.  IF an MMO can bring these features in a way that lets people be safe, not engage in ffapvp and let their creations not be destroyed I think it will be a hit. 

Whatever you said has nothing to do with sandbox. It is as valid to say the minecraft shows that lego should do a single player building game.

The part about the world responding to players ... it is as valid to say that people like more SP games with more stories that changes that world. Heck, even Halo fits that bill.

Whatever you said has nothing to do with sandbox. It is as valid to say the minecraft shows that lego should do a single player building game.

The part about the world responding to players ... it is as valid to say that people like more SP games with more stories that changes that world. Heck, even Halo fits that bill.

What I said has everything to do with sandbox.  Building is an integral part of sandbox.  To say that it does't is rediculous.  In a sandbox the world responds to the player.  Spg show that many people like this.  The trick is how to apply that to an MMO.

To your second sentance, duh.  And that is a central component to sandbox, it is one reason why people like sandbox.  It just happens to share that feature with spg.  

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

What I said has everything to do with sandbox.  Building is an integral part of sandbox.  To say that it does't is rediculous.  In a sandbox the world responds to the player.  Spg show that many people like this.  The trick is how to apply that to an MMO.

To your second sentance, duh.  And that is a central component to sandbox, it is one reason why people like sandbox.  It just happens to share that feature with spg.  

No its not. To name one, Mount & Blade is a sandbox and you don't build anything in it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    No, we don't need fluff, housing or other stuff not involving killing. Devoting as much time to them as "the killing part" is mad, because those features are nowhere near as popular. The killing stuff sells - fluff & housing does not.

Yea you're right.  Because the Sims wasn't one of the best selling games of all time.   A game that was nearly entirely nothing but fluff, housing, etc.    Woops. 

Your point is now dead.  You're welcome. 

You do know that's a completely different game than the one we are talking about, right?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

In that case, SP games do it much better. There is no need for a sandbox. Just play Dishonored, for example. The whole world respond to nothing but you.

In that case, SP games do it much better. There is no need for a sandbox. Just play Dishonored, for example. The whole world respond to nothing but you.

Thats the same reasoning as everyone telling people who like to solo, go play solo games, they do it better.

IMO they don't.  MMO's offer more variety than spg, they allow me to group when I feel like which doesn't happen in spg, other people offer more randomness and a different environment than spg.

There are very few spg that I actually like, skyim is one of them. 

edit - And this is where we get into personal definition of sandbox.  IMO M&B is a very limited sandbox, people are calling it that really only because it lets you design your own character (which is good) and because there is no story to follow (which ever MMO lets you do so a wash in my opinion).

IMO they don't.  MMO's offer more variety than spg, they allow me to group when I feel like which doesn't happen in spg, other people offer more randomness and a different environment than spg.

We are talking about a sandbox. This has nothign specific about a sandbox.

If you want to play with others, just play an ONLINE MP RPG. You don't need a MMO for that. In fact, if you want the world to respond to you, MMO is a pretty bad choice.

Tell me, in which MMO, the world will change for you? Not even Eve.

We are talking about a sandbox. This has nothign specific about a sandbox.

If you want to play with others, just play an ONLINE MP RPG. You don't need a MMO for that. In fact, if you want the world to respond to you, MMO is a pretty bad choice.

Tell me, in which MMO, the world will change for you? Not even Eve.

Once again there are a great many specific things about a sandbox. 

Atitd changes.  In some ways Istaria used to change.  In any game that has territory control the world changes, so Eve has this so yes the world changes, as does darkfall.