Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is the overall look of your character in a MMO

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Depends which direction you approach things from. "Not generally that important" might be true, for a given person...yet I've heard literally hundreds of gamers express "I just can't play a ". The "cute" races seem to be particular anathema to teenage males, for instance. PVP players (many of them) won't play a "poncy" race like elves, etc.

another thing i have noticed as we move more and more into the "better graphics" age of MMOs graphics have become more and more important to many people.  You still see lots of graphics mean nothing posts but for me after playing games of a particular genre with great graphics its harder to play ones with bad graphics(for me at least). 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    You still see lots of graphics mean nothing posts but for me after playing games of a particular genre with great graphics its harder to play ones with bad graphics(for me at least). 

Naw, I'll always be highly resistant to the GPU salesman's best pitch. Too much overexposure to hardware arguments in the earliest PC vs Mac days. Windows 3.1, we had so many proprietary and really twichy sound cards and video cards... Eventually, when they start marching out the acronyms, your eyes just glaze right over.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

i was playing TERA and the swithced over to playing LOTRO. the graphics change does not bother me and im actually having more fun in LOTRO than i did in TERA.

Originally posted by Callin

i was playing TERA and the swithced over to playing LOTRO. the graphics change does not bother me and im actually having more fun in LOTRO than i did in TERA.

well to be fair aside from characters LOTRO is a great looking game.. try going back to EQ1 or AC.. i know many people still play but I just can't do the visuals anymore in those older games...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Depends which direction you approach things from. "Not generally that important" might be true, for a given person...yet I've heard literally hundreds of gamers express "I just can't play a ". The "cute" races seem to be particular anathema to teenage males, for instance. PVP players (many of them) won't play a "poncy" race like elves, etc.

another thing i have noticed as we move more and more into the "better graphics" age of MMOs graphics have become more and more important to many people.  You still see lots of graphics mean nothing posts but for me after playing games of a particular genre with great graphics its harder to play ones with bad graphics(for me at least). 

For me, a bad game is not fixed by better looking characters.   A good game would be improved by better looking characters.  Game comes first.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

For me, a bad game is not fixed by better looking characters.   A good game would be improved by better looking characters.  Game comes first.

i agree good looks will not make a horrible game good but for me horrible looks will make a mediocre to decent game horrible

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    The faces and hair are extremely important to me.  If I'm not happy with my character's appearance I can't enjoy the game, no matter how great the rest is.  And oddly it's been some more recent mmo's than older ones that have had what I consider some pretty ugly character faces.  The armor I'm not so picky about as long as it's not skimpy.  And weapons as long as they aren't silly large, I don't really care what they look like.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Don't give a damn at all, completely and totally irrelevant.  I'm here to have a good time.  I can't remember the last game where I used any of the social slots at all, I wear the armor that is most effective, I use the weapons that are most effective, and don't give a rat's ass what any of it looks like.  I play 100% of the time from the first-person perspective anyhow, I have no idea what I look like!

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    I play 100% of the time from the first-person perspective anyhow, I have no idea what I look like!

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.

Personally, can't stand first-person view, so limiting. Raiding, any you pretty much have to learn to view life through a max-distance camera....or stand-in-fire a lot, I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    As long as the character moves I am happy.  I really could care less about graphics but I do not want a picture as my character, arms and legs need to move... then I am happy.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

for people who say not important say it's a game with character models like scarlet blade or your only race choice were these two from TERA and say the game isn't what they currently are say it has the best aspects of every game you ever wanted to play minus the characters looks. Would you not play it just because of the character look?

If game looks like this i would avoid it like the Plague. Man these look terible i hate asian looking characters and  gamedisigned worlds. Give me the more realistic european look or skyrim characters.

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70
    Consider the character choosen is the one to be looked at 95% of game-time yes. Working character none with bugs or glitches or ugly uniforms and armors.
  • ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Tired of games were 99% of the entire population of players look exactly alike except their face. Its absolutely asinine and just plan lazy on the part of the developers.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Still awaiting the day of manthras.

• kokaska71kokaska71 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by bcbully
    More than I'm proud of. For me it's not so much how good I can make my toon look with regards to face and clothes, but having the ability to look unique.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    I got tired of playing bad WoW clones and went back to playing the original, so clearly looks are not important to me.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I much rather enjoy being able to customize my apperance to how I want, but i've had no major problems playing a game with limited appperance options, such as Vindictus/Lunia/etc.

Available races and texture/mesh quality usually isn't something I get hung up about.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Always gameplay over graphics. Everybody can appreciate a good-looking character model, but i'd never value that over solid mechanics.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    My characters cosmetic appeal is very important to me, however, I'm also easily pleased by graphics and I don't need current gen technology either.  I'm happy as long as it isn't ugly... I don't need Aion or Tera level, and I'm still happy with Everquest 1's graphics... Just whatever gives some customization variety, preferably more hair styles and color dyes is fine by me... I don't care about the pixels, just give me some variety!! 
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Extremly important. I want to look both good and original. I do not care if the character is beautiful, if I look like every gorram other character in the game. my favorites are CoH (of course. I mean... You could do almost anything) and SWG (Where I could build myself. Anyone that saw my character knew immediatly that it was me, it was so similar). And I leave a game when I do not feel an emotional bond to the character I play. If I look bland and neutral and see myself wherever I go, I see no reason to continue playing. Its not my character, its my shopping cart I am driving around to stuff the game creators pockets.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I like a good charactor creator in a game..

The main thing for me is that everyone does not look the same and that includes the equipment they have.. Having a bunch of clones running around in exactly the same equipment is pretty crap..

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Very important.

Rule #1: won't play an elf

Rule #2: won't play an elf

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by ksternal
    Tired of games were 99% of the entire population of players look exactly alike except their face. Its absolutely asinine and just plan lazy on the part of the developers.

But inevitable when form and function (looks and stats) cannot be separated.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

One of the most important, if not the most important thing in mmorpg for me.

I play mmorpg for character, gear customization/progression. I love farming, grinding for gear in mmorpg. If mmorpg doesnt have this, or they give everyone best gear for almost no effort, I dont play it.

IF you ask about the appearance of character itself (animations, race, etc.) that is really also very imporant to me.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

I can't play Asian MMOs because of their graphics, I just can't.