Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Character Progression & Salvaging Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A pair of new developer blogs have appeared on the Darkfall: Unholy Wars site that lay out the details on both character progression and the salvaging skill. Character progression will be based on Prowess points. Salvaging is, according to devs, the opposite of crafting and consists of breaking down items into their raw materials.

The new character progression system for Darkfall Unholy Wars is based on Prowess Points. A player’s Prowess is a representation of their accumulated experiences, victories and achievements.  Most interactions with the world reward players with Prowess. Harvesting, crafting, killing monsters, completing feats, participating in capturing villages, and a multitude of other activities, reward players with prowess point. Spending Prowess is the only way for players to improve their attributes, combat, and harvesting skills. 

This new system is important because it rewards players for playing the game, rather than “grinding” repetitive tasks, and it’s a result of player feedback and Aventurine developer interaction with the beta testers.

Read more at the links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    All they had to do was fix the original game. Add a skill cap, and some regional banking, maybe some other systems like salvaging here and there... that's ALL they had to do. Instead, they gut the game, and give us this half-assed garbage that appeals to neither their original fans, nor atttracts new players. The depth of this company's mismanagement is beyond measure.
  • falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I havent played yet because I just dont ave time these days but some friends of mine are playing and their guild which was once around 15 members now has 100+ so it sounds like alot of people are playing.
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    I was hoping they would make a change like this to help elminate the use one skill over and over grind.  Glad they did.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    It's still in beta yet.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I used to play Darkfall, and I invested an awful lot of time into the game.

However, I don't have any inclination to grind from the beginning again.

Money is not the most precious resource - it's time. So I'm not going to let this company waste my time again.

Economically, the Greek economy is not doing well and so playing this game is a risk - it could be a further waste of time if the company gets taxed to death and folds.

I'm sticking with WoW and Eve Online because they are reliable. My in-game efforts are likely to build upon themselves and progress. That's satisfying.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by feena750
    I was hoping they would make a change like this to help elminate the use one skill over and over grind.  Glad they did.

You still have to do stuff over and over to get prowess points..

It will not stop people macroing as now they will just macro for prowess points instead.. its kind of a half arsed change like most of the stuff they have done in DF:UW..

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    is this game STILL in Beta from december?!....wtf...
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I used to play Darkfall, and I invested an awful lot of time into the game.

However, I don't have any inclination to grind from the beginning again.

Money is not the most precious resource - it's time. So I'm not going to let this company waste my time again.

Economically, the Greek economy is not doing well and so playing this game is a risk - it could be a further waste of time if the company gets taxed to death and folds.

I'm sticking with WoW and Eve Online because they are reliable. My in-game efforts are likely to build upon themselves and progress. That's satisfying.

Its only a waste of time if you dont enjoy playing the game... Games are there to have fun, if your not having fun play another game.. This does not just go for Darkfall but any game..

Myself I enjoyed the origional Darkfall and slowly leveled my character from launch and if it was not for the suerp xp weekends they did he still would not be maxed out.. but i was happy with that because i enjoyed playing the game.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by falc0n
    I havent played yet because I just dont ave time these days but some friends of mine are playing and their guild which was once around 15 members now has 100+ so it sounds like alot of people are playing.

If you could read the beta forums, you would see that someone is lying to you. There might be 100 people TOTAL playing right now. Maybe.

• ZoltosZoltos Member UncommonPosts: 60

Im playing the beta atm. And all I can say is that this is the best change Aventurine ever made to the game! No more macroing!!

I really regained my faith in Aventurine now and looking forward to the launch.

Games Played: Anarchy Online,Star Wars Galaxies,WOW,Eve,Darkfall,Vanguard, Fallen Earth,SWTOR,GW2,Tera,ESO,Wildstar, Black Desert, Archeage & Albion Online
    Now playing: Conan Exiles & Rocket League
    Games looking forward to: Diablo 4! & Star Citizen?

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Two new features that the community were after, things are looking up! 
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Two features they could have just added to DF1,  

This game will fail.  AV is probably the worst developer company i have ever dealt with.  DF1 was a good game,  This UW is garbage. 

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    Hmm shouldnt have been out this game like 4 months ago? yet people still pay to test the game? Well drugs work the same way- they test in on people- before they go into a full release. 
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I was hoping they would make a change like this to help elminate the use one skill over and over grind. Glad they did.

I'll quickly jump in here to further explain the two systems that were publicly posted. Since this information is already available, I am not breaking the NDA by explaining them a little better...

Correct, the new system completely removed to need to, for example, hit things a million times with a greatsword to raise your greatsword skill. Now, you can spend Prowess points, which you can earn from most activities in the game, to raise that skill instead. The only skills that still work in the traditional way are crafting skills, for economical perposes. This completely removes the ability (and need) to macro in the game.

Salvaging is pretty much what you expect it to be. Carry the crafted items to the workbench type that made them and reverse the crafting process. For a gold fee you then have a chance (a chance which increases with a higher Salvaging skill) to get back some of the materials used in making the item. You can only salvage items for which your character also has the skills to create, so you can't salvage rank 30 weapons when you only have 1 Weaponsmithing skill. Additionally, many mobs in the game now drop "broken" armor and weapons, items which can't be used for anything other than salvaging. For example, you can obtain "Broken Crude Greatsword", which is a broken version of the normal "Crude Greatsword", a rank 0 weapon.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    The game is a waste of time for any honest player. It will be ruled by those who hack just like DF1 was. AV do not have the ability to counter the hackers, not even big companies and their AAA MMO's are doing to well against the paid hacks.
  • acesdown31acesdown31 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Caldrin

You still have to do stuff over and over to get prowess points..

It will not stop people macroing as now they will just macro for prowess points instead.. its kind of a half arsed change like most of the stuff they have done in DF:UW..

REALLY!!??!? wow ...tell me one way you are going to macro prowess points effeciently now ?  god... MACROING IS DEAD and thank god...great patch AV keep it up....get this macro trolls out of here and go play something else

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    I played the entire beta.  AV is actually listening to their playerbase and the game is improving fast.  Release is this week supposed to be 4/16!!  Get this game its going to be awesome.