Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

Comments

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by garretth

Did any of you play Isle of Kesmai...way back when?  (hint:

I played LoK and IoK and I still miss playing that game today.

They had permadeath, but you had to really work at it.

Permadeath came from being eaten by certain Boss Mobs.  They changed it somewhat so that when you were eaten then you just went to the Underworld to do the quests so  you could get to the portal to bring you back to the game.  When eaten all your gear was dropped and  you had to hope someone you knew was on-line so they could run up to where you died and try to get your gear back or you had to run there after you returned from the Underworld.

If you died, you went to the underworld and had to fight your way back up.    By doing this your 'death' was removed.

Yep... done those quests to many times to count. :D

if you didn't do the time in the underworld, then I think it was 3 deaths and you were out of the game.

If you were "sent" to the Underworld by being eaten then the ONLY way back to the game was to do the Underworld quests.  You could go to the Underworld yourself if you so desired to remove bad Karma and to regain lost Consitution  points.  In either case... you had to do the quests to return to the game.

Leveling was long and hard.   Each level took twice as much experience...it was a big, big deal to be lvl 17 and only a few made it to 20.   You played carefully and with lots of friends.   Experience earned was precious and gave you status.

Leveling was not that  bad but your right it did take forever to do.  You could pay the Trainers TONS of gold and each gold was 1 exp.  The really hard part was gaining SKILL levels which was more important than your actual character level.   Each new level was 2x the exp of the last level you had and it took over a year to get close to a very high level let alone high skill level character.

It was fun.   If you killed someone you had to ask for their 'forgiveness' because that was another strike against you.

Yep... you could also sacrifice a Tiger figurine to the Ghost to remove bad Karma.  Going to the Underworld with bad Karma was a real pain since once  you got there you were then considered EVIL with a Red name and all the Neutral mobs would attack you.  Doing the Karma quest was a royal pain and  you pretty much had to do that before you could start on  your normal Underworld quests to return to the game.  

I know of a case where the players ganged up on a high level player that was not well liked and repeatedly killed him until he was permanently dead.

Even though a player was high level did not mean that they could not be killed.  But I don't think players could perma-death another player.

I have seen players kill another player in town and take their corpse over to one of the Trash Barrels and then search the corpse over the Trash Barrel.  When this was done all the equipment on the searched player would fall intot he Barrel and be gone from the game.  This was seldom done.

Very hard core

I still have fond memories of LoK and would love to play it again.

Ratero.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    The same sort of harshness and challenge from a Perma Death system can be attained in a punishing death system like games originally had.  The one thing you need to ensure is eventually those harsh death penalties can be lessoned though judicious epic rewards.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Who the heck would believe that EQn would have permadeath? lol.

I wish they would answer more realistic rumors, e.g., console development etc.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Smedley just wants someone talking about him instead of sticking long pins into a doll that looks like him.

Permadeath would have been a great way to kill off his next big title rather than do it right, sounds exactly like a Smedley idea to me, I'm surprised they're not really going to implement.

No bitchers.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    There is a way to incorporate permanent death into a MMORPG if it's designed from the ground up to have it. You obviously cannot have a WoW-style game where every death is permanent, but you CAN design a game that has certain situations resulting in the permanent loss of your character. Wizardry Online is currently using perma-death the right way. The game has issues, but it has certainly done that part right. 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    If they were to have perma death it would be a server ruleset so there be muiltipal typoe sof servers types i reckon like EQ1, PvE, Roleplaying, PvP FFA, PvP teams and so on.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Having a permadeath server is acceptable, but there is of course the usual problem with getting killed by lag or crashes.

Having permadeath on all servers on the other hand is not a good idea at all.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    guys, breath. The permadeath will probably be on a spcecial server.  You will find me playing there. Its so much more fun when playing with risk/rewards.
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by mymmo
    guys, breath. The permadeath will probably be on a spcecial server.  You will find me playing there. Its so much more fun when playing with risk/rewards.

I'm with you there. After growing up from my teen age years. I no longer look for progression, I look for those small adrenaline rushes I used to have when I was a kiddo. These days, over half of the games are boring, boring and boring. 

One way they could implement is perma-death in a way where your character dies, he dies. But you can create a new toon that has the same skills as the previous toon. This way a death would have a "permanent" effect, but it wouldn't punish players too much.

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by JCBN
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

Well.... Ultima Online had permadeath if you were a PK, and that game did quite good. 

I would very much like to see a system like that again. So you wanna be a bad guy killing innocent people? Well there is a price to pay... permadeath.

You mean Permared?

No... when a permared character died, one would loose 20% of all skills. Aka, many many many months of work down the drain, aka if you died, might aswell make a new.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

Because I would play the hell out of that.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Problem with Permadeath, no one has come up with a design where it works.  People spend a lot of time developing a character only to lose it?  Can you imagine the support nightmares attempting to support such a feature in a large MMO?

All you permadeath advocates need to think of this topic from the support point of view.

Oh and UO never had permadeath, even for PK's.  Where you got that outlandish notion is beyond me.  No there has been no successful game with permadeath.  The ones coming out will fail too. 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Is Smedley the PR manager ? Congratultaions to bring back the attention to EQNext with one message on twitter. That was a quite inexpensive advertising without giving any real info. Well done.

P.S. There will be no harsh permadeath in EQNext. They want it be a big blockbuster. Not a niche game. ;)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

No permadeath? Lame.

LAME!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Malcanis

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

Their will be no permadeath in EQNext which has now been confirmed.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

EVE has security zones, which Smedly is also on record as liking IIRC. There's no absolute need to seperate the different rules of engagement into different servers.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by BizkitNL

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

EQNext will have PVP servers just like EQ had but if you are thinking that the whole game is going to be PVP before PVE then you might as well give up now. Yes we will have a great PVP system but EQ has always been about PVE and most of their fanbase expect that.

Smed knows his fanbase and he knows that adding a PVP system will bring in more. And who says that "sandbox" needs PVP to actually work, that's your take on it.

When Smed says sandbox then you should think hybrid, anyone taking his words literally is setting themselves up for fail.

EVE has security zones, which Smedly is also on record as liking IIRC. There's no absolute need to seperate the different rules of engagement into different servers.

You really think that Smed will make EQNext and not have pure PVE servers lol. Most of EQ fanbase are PVEer's, you obviosly know nothing about EQ or it's player base. Their is no way in hell that Smed would not have a pure PVE servers or servers with different rules of engagement lol.

Oh and stop saying "Smed is on the record of saying" lol,  that's like saying Smed tells the truth.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I'm fine with perma death games. I won't play them.... But I shall allow them to exist. :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Problem with Permadeath, no one has come up with a design where it works.  People spend a lot of time developing a character only to lose it?  Can you imagine the support nightmares attempting to support such a feature in a large MMO?

All you permadeath advocates need to think of this topic from the support point of view.

Oh and UO never had permadeath, even for PK's.  Where you got that outlandish notion is beyond me.  No there has been no successful game with permadeath.  The ones coming out will fail too. 

Are you for real? Did you ever have a red with a million long?

Whenever your PK died, if he died, it was /delete

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    and Smed probably wonders why he is nearly universally hated and ridiculed in the MMO world
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it would be a really cool idea for a server.

they could even call it the EVErquest server.  :)

i'd certainly roll on it.  but then again if such a server didnt exist i'd still probably play EQ3.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I bet the two of them are sitting at their desk laughing at all the buzz a single tweet caused.  Job well done I would say.
    Originally posted by DMKano

Maybe he was commenting about permadeath for EQN as a project, not an in game feature.

We like permadeath for EQN - to me he is saying there will not be another EQ game ever, the franchise will die with EQN.

Nope, EQ is eternal and the longest runing full 3d MMO, the next instalment will come in another seven or ten years after the release of EQNext.