Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] For those who don't like the animations...

OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

So another informal poll!  For those who have or had real issues with the animations or "feel of combat" in TSW, when was the last time you played?  I know there were quite a few that played back in beta, but I'm interested to know who has checked in since then.  Maybe give a bit more detail, such as how far you got into the game (zone- or hours-played), and/or how deep you got into the ability wheel.  How many weapons did you try?

Be honest! :)

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    last i played was about a month after launch.. some were updated and made better but overall not so much.. pistol was the big one that had some big improvements especIally from beta.. watching videos of upcoming content doesn't look like the overall movement and feel changed at all which was my issue with animations.. i also don't like the look of the characters at all(personal preference i guess)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Played the game pretty extensively.  Had all 10.2 and a couple 10.4 pieces.  PVP'd a lot.  was 61% through the skill wheel, 100% through the weapons stuff.

I want to come back, but, im having fun playing PoE and PS2.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    I'm apparently to stupid to get the skill wheel and TSW combat.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

"too" stupid...

(sorry i couldnt resist)

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Originally posted by TribeofOne

"too" stupid...

(sorry i couldnt resist)

well there you go.. you TSW people were right i guess
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Option "animations are fine/don´t care" missing, therefore clicked show results.

Seriously, I don´t see a problem, TSW animations are motion captured, but the "fantasy people" here are used to cartoony style teddybears bouncing through candyland, the whole game is simply not their taste.

The animation blending is said to be improved soon so it will look more fluid, thats about it, any more ressources going into this is a waste of time imho. This BS rumor "animation problem" is a troll joke by parrot people who have no clue anyway, about anything.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Uncanny valley is a thing no matter if some people can't see it or it just doesnt bother them but it's also why I feel in many instances its better not to take the realistic route in some games.. Some people don't notice heavy aliasing in certain games doesn't mean its not there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I played AOC from launch up until a few months ago. Loved the games graphics, story and adult world but the combat animations always looked so geriatric and unfortuantly they passed it on to TSW.  Few weeks after beta is all I lasted.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by FromHell

Option "animations are fine/don´t care" missing, therefore clicked show results.

Seriously, I don´t see a problem, TSW animations are motion captured, but the "fantasy people" here are used to cartoony style teddybears bouncing through candyland, the whole game is simply not their taste.

The animation blending is said to be improved soon so it will look more fluid, thats about it, any more ressources going into this is a waste of time imho. This BS rumor "animation problem" is a troll joke by parrot people who have no clue anyway, about anything.

Hi Hell!  :)

Well, I'm really trying to get a picture from the people who don't like them, and that's what this poll was about -- and they have a right to their opinions about it; I personally don't have any issues with the animations, and I like them, but there are folks who have said they liked the game overall but the animations drove them away.  It's enough feedback that the dev team has made improving animations part of the list they are working on.  Again, it's all preference anyway, so /shrug...

Still, I am wondering how much of that feedback goes back as far as the beta, but not since.

Originally posted by mikuniman
    I played AOC from launch up until a few months ago. Loved the games graphics, story and adult world but the combat animations always looked so geriatric and unfortuantly they passed it on to TSW.  Few weeks after beta is all I lasted.

lol Interesting, because I have seen on these very forums people saying that they loved AoC animations but not TSW's and visa versa.  It's all very subjective I think, but it's funny to hear what people prefer.

I've seen that MC video to but sadly they grabbed somebody off the development team and suited them up instead of a trained professional.

Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by mikuniman

lol Interesting, because I have seen on these very forums people saying that they loved AoC animations but not TSW's and visa versa.  It's all very subjective I think, but it's funny to hear what people prefer.

Looks identical to AOC same engine as does the ugly character models. In Conan I just chalked up to the fact they were all beat up barbarians and lived with it.

What I always loved about Funcom is that they made their mmos with adult content not just an mmo with an adult rating only because of skimpy gear. I wish there would be more choices out there for that demographic.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

Thats bullshit. I dislike them entirely because they ARE cartoony. Some weapons are ok, but some are just far too asian themed to fit well.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• platonicxplatonicx Member UncommonPosts: 22

QFT.

The animations are actually somewhat realistic and you may say Boring or non Flashy.

Which is exactly the way i like it.

Other games have lighting shooting out of people(i mean out of elfs or whatever other race you have in those).

Some animation could probbably be made more smooth and fluid.

But over all i think most of the people who have a  problem with animations want the flashy stuff that i would hate so much.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I played at launch, and again in January after the B2P switch. The animations have always been shit, still are shit, and will likely always be shit. That being said, the atmosphere and story can't be beat by any other MMO's on the market today, but unfortunately, that isn't enough to keep me playing.

EDIT: Someone said the animations were motion captures, and I had to laugh. I didn't know that, but they don't even look motion captured... they just look like half-assed animations.

Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Uncanny valley is a thing no matter if some people can't see it or it just doesnt bother them but it's also why I feel in many instances its better not to take the realistic route in some games.. Some people don't notice heavy aliasing in certain games doesn't mean its not there

Uncanny valley is an exuse fanboys bring up whenever someone say animations are bad.

considereing i don't play the game anymore not sure how i'm considered a fanboy.. but for example not every percieves graphical artifacts the same.. shimmering is a big one as some people it can be game breaking if the game doesn't provide a decent form of anti-aliasing but to others don't even see it. Not every percieves things the same not sure how that's a hard concept.. personally I think ryan reynolds and scarlet johanson are the best looking actor/actress in hollywood i know people who think scarlet is ugly and plain looking. It's all personal preference and perception on how you view things.. find it silly when people make rash generalizations and pretend people are making up terms to support their claim instead of standing back and realizing not everyone perceives things the same as you do.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    what is wrong with animations?
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

Nothing from my pov, but...  ;)

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/forums/thread/377721/page/1

again people have differn't perceptions of what they feel is good combat or good animations or good flow between skills.. for some i'm sure it's fine or even good for others it's game breaking bad.. just depends on the person.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    last week i think

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

again people have differn't perceptions of what they feel is good combat or good animations or good flow between skills.. for some i'm sure it's fine or even good for others it's game breaking bad.. just depends on the person.

This is true. I personally compare both games from the same company. TSW and AoC. Both tried to be as realistic as posibble. They could have taken one of the best features from AoC (character animations) and add them into TSW but they didnt, so TSW suffers greatly because of that decision. I think that while its a matter of preference, its still obvious that Funcom  really need to improve animations big time because as they are today they dont belong to a game of the caliber of TSW.

What did Funcom do when they heard players talking about how bad the animations are? they added FPS aiming instead of fixing the problem. Obviously they dont want to dive into development waters to make their game better. Adding new stuff is good, but fixing existing ones is more important.

Animations are the only thing keeping me from playing again.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Hi Hell!  :)

Well, I'm really trying to get a picture from the people who don't like them, and that's what this poll was about -- and they have a right to their opinions about it; I personally don't have any issues with the animations, and I like them, but there are folks who have said they liked the game overall but the animations drove them away.  It's enough feedback that the dev team has made improving animations part of the list they are working on.  Again, it's all preference anyway, so /shrug...

Still, I am wondering how much of that feedback goes back as far as the beta, but not since.

I have some experience with animation working with graphics people on different projects and I can safely say, the animations in TSW are fine, the animation SYSTEM is not.

The keyframes don´t blend together sometimes, I am 99% sure that is where the "derp, bad animations" impression comes from, it´s true that the fluidity is missing here and there, but it´s the technical backend which gets overhauled, I highly doubt recapturing the animations and putting them into the same flawed system would help.

They talked about it on a livestream here on mmorpg.com and they are well aware of the problem and will hopefully fix it sooner than later, but in no way did I ever find this "gamebreaking".

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !