Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW or Defiance......

13»

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Probably defiance, regardless of how it ends up you will be a part of something historic. An mmorpg and a tv show side by side. That puts the K in Kool, K!

Though I haven't even played defiance but Im not on the hype train either, Im just pleased theres no sub cost and its an fps.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I heard from a tester this will basically be a kind of "Borderlands" in online form.

Shooter with XP earning and some customization, but certainly not a RPG 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Defiance is a disappointing game, while it has really good ideas it cant deliver, a blend world that seems empty and without any interesting thing to do, quests are generic( speak here and kill that protect this and that, i think you get the point)

I was playing it for some time , i really tried to make me like it, but i couldn't., the game isnt even out and is already uninstalled in my pc.

They have a really good team working on it and they listen to the community, but the release day  is almost there, and there is so much things still to fix thats is gonna be a rush until they release it, they update the client almost everyday with bug fixes and there are still alot of them.

The supposed "open world sandbox mmofps" is nothing more then a empty and blend world with really bad textures cuz of the consoles, the physhics collision engine is really bad, menus are made for consoles aswell (its skyrim all over again). This game is not pc optimized! Still needs alot of work. If you think its like a "borderlands" your wrong the only thing they have in common is the damage numbers on top of the mobs, and gear drops...

There are some dynamic events but it doenst seem enough, (kill big boss here and protect base there)

If you are looking for something like they announced, firefall is atleast for me superior in all aspects, maybe not in pve because in defiance there is a huge focus on pve, firefall is kinda the opposite. The pvp is atleast for now "one shot skill".

I hope it helps.

Peace.

Beta tester maniac

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by drtack1

So, I havent been playing any mmos in the past 2 months. I was playing GW2 for a few months, got bored moved on to AoW. Aow kept me intertained for 2 months lol. I then tried Terra and it kept me intertained for about a week............

I am just in a rut I guess. Nothing really keeps my attention. I have been playing more Black Ops 2 then mmorpgs which is very rare! 

I have been looking at TSW for quite some time now, the big thing that has held me back from purchasing is I hear some negative things about PVP. I enjoy PVP in a game just as much as PVE. I really like the whole setting of TSW and it looks fun but for some reason I have just held back. 

I am also looking at Defiance. I really like Sci Fi games and I enjoy shooters. My faveorite game of all time was Tabula Rasa. So far everything I have seen looks pretty cool, but I am worried about longevity.

Soooo right now I am trying to decide between the two. I know I will have to wait a few more weeks for Defiance. I just dont want to purchase 2 games at the same time and not get my moneys worht out of 1 or the other.

I am in a mmorpg rut! I cannot decide if I want to go ahead and get TSW or if I want to wait and get Defiance. I cannot decide which I want to play!!!! Grrrr lol.

I'd say get both :P 

TSW is at least different and a decent game even if lacking in polish. 

Defiance is a lot like what people were hoping Firefall would be before it turned out to be a flop. Aside from that, like others have said, it's tying in with a TV show so that alone is pretty interesting. In any case Defiance > Firefall so if you were looking forward to Firefall or like Firefall chances are you're going to like Defiance a great deal better. 

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by berlight

Defiance is a disappointing game, while it has really good ideas it cant deliver, a blend world that seems empty and without any interesting thing to do, quests are generic( speak here and kill that protect this and that, i think you get the point)

I was playing it for some time , i really tried to make me like it, but i couldn't., the game isnt even out and is already uninstalled in my pc.

They have a really good team working on it and they listen to the community, but the release day  is almost there, and there is so much things still to fix thats is gonna be a rush until they release it, they update the client almost everyday with bug fixes and there are still alot of them.

The supposed "open world sandbox mmofps" is nothing more then a empty and blend world with really bad textures cuz of the consoles, the physhics collision engine is really bad, menus are made for consoles aswell (its skyrim all over again). This game is not pc optimized! Still needs alot of work. If you think its like a "borderlands" your wrong the only thing they have in common is the damage numbers on top of the mobs, and gear drops...

There are some dynamic events but it doenst seem enough, (kill big boss here and protect base there)

If you are looking for something like they announced, firefall is atleast for me superior in all aspects, maybe not in pve because in defiance there is a huge focus on pve, firefall is kinda the opposite. The pvp is atleast for now "one shot skill".

I hope it helps.

Peace.

Well, I didn't break the NDA, but this ^^.

Except I think Firefall is crap too.  I've been in it since early closed Beta and they can't decide where they want to go with that damn game.  I take it back, I haven't tried it in the last couple months cuz I just couldn't take it any more; maybe now that it's in open it's improved.

I honestly wish Global Agenda hadn't gone by the wayside so fast.  It really was one of the first up and comers in the MMOFPS genre and I still think superior to any of them (though maybe not as "open world").

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

eheheh i didnt said i like firefall, ofcourse it has flaws :p but if i had to choose one "open world sandbox mmofps" i have to say firefall ^^

I didnt break the nda! i didnt said anything else that they already said!

i was only thinking in all people of this wonderfull community that can keep a secret! :)

Beta tester maniac

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92

So, I havent been playing any mmos in the past 2 months. I was playing GW2 for a few months, got bored moved on to AoW. Aow kept me intertained for 2 months lol. I then tried Terra and it kept me intertained for about a week............

I am just in a rut I guess. Nothing really keeps my attention. I have been playing more Black Ops 2 then mmorpgs which is very rare! 

I have been looking at TSW for quite some time now, the big thing that has held me back from purchasing is I hear some negative things about PVP. I enjoy PVP in a game just as much as PVE. I really like the whole setting of TSW and it looks fun but for some reason I have just held back. 

I am also looking at Defiance. I really like Sci Fi games and I enjoy shooters. My faveorite game of all time was Tabula Rasa. So far everything I have seen looks pretty cool, but I am worried about longevity.

Soooo right now I am trying to decide between the two. I know I will have to wait a few more weeks for Defiance. I just dont want to purchase 2 games at the same time and not get my moneys worht out of 1 or the other.

I am in a mmorpg rut! I cannot decide if I want to go ahead and get TSW or if I want to wait and get Defiance. I cannot decide which I want to play!!!! Grrrr lol.

Tabula Rasa was a blast,

Im in the same boat as you I went back to playing the balurs gate series. I played the secret world I liked it, it will probably keep you busy for a month or two. you would get your moneys worth. I dont think there is a game out right now that is worth playing long term.. Im looking though

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46

I play about every game made and ill have to say that I really enjoy TSW.  I left it for GW2 and lasted in GW2 for about a week and I'm back to enjoying the Secret world. Be careful of the trolls here as if it isn't a console game on thier PSP then it just doesnt compare. I suggest giving TSW a try. It isnt rated number 2 on this site because it sucks...

Anyone that says that it clunky and bad mechanics just doesnt have a machine that will play it.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

OP both are B2P so why not both? unless you are really strapped on time and can only play one MMO...but still for me games like TSW are perfect for weekend play sessions while Definace for rest of the week.

I played Definace beta and all i can say is that it is releasing with a lot of content so you won't run out of things to do like you do with in a month in TSW.

Ive been playing TSW for well over a month and im not close to even completeing the content and no where near Getting my QL10 gear. I play 8 hours a day. Where do these people come up with this BS?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by AngryBeaver

OP both are B2P so why not both? unless you are really strapped on time and can only play one MMO...but still for me games like TSW are perfect for weekend play sessions while Definace for rest of the week.

I played Definace beta and all i can say is that it is releasing with a lot of content so you won't run out of things to do like you do with in a month in TSW.

Ive been playing TSW for well over a month and im not close to even completeing the content and no where near Getting my QL10 gear. I play 8 hours a day. Where do these people come up with this BS?

Lack of content in TSW is a fact, it's not BS. It's one of the main reasons it went buy to play. Players didn't keep playing and paying because they ran out of content. Buy to Play allowed the game to gain some sort of retention rate. It's a decent game and I play it casually on weekends as does my wife, but it definitely doesn't have the content to play day in and day out especially at 8 hours a day. 

TSW with its current business model is appropriately priced for what it offers and is a good buy. 

• KahPaoKahPao Member UncommonPosts: 18

Both are so different but I have not played TSW, and am currently playing the Alpha of Defiance.   I think you and many others will be pleasently surprised by Defiance.   I can't say much due to NDA but I see it surprising people for the better on it's release.   Not sure about xbox or ps3 format but the PC version is rocking right now.

Opinions will cary depending on what gaming background you come from.  If you Xbox MW3 and are hardcore shooter, you will feel differently than the person that is an average MMOrpg'r just starting with a shooter experience.   There is a little something for everyone in Defiance and that is where I feel it will show it's strength.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210

TSW's combat blows donkey, and blows it hard and long!

The rest of the game besides crafting is great.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Anyone that says that it clunky and bad mechanics just doesnt have a machine that will play it.

Or they just don't feel the same way you do.  Holy shit, the mind boggles.

• jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Lack of content in TSW is a fact, it's not BS.

It's true, AngryB.  But... your content priorities might be different.  If you do a lot of PvE questing - content is dead (and if you're playing that much, you'll find that out soon enough).  I swear to christ if I see one more content patch post, promising  to make yet more repeatable shit repeatable, I will cry.  It's a Funcom copout. 

HOWEVER... if you're still lore-searching, raiding, PvPing, lairing, graduating through the dungeons etc... then there's still a bit of content for you, no doubt. 

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by Draemos

If longevity is a concern I'd go with TSW.  Defiance is going to be far more of a casual affair.

TSW is also just plain better(and cheaper) on the grand scale.  Defiance is fun but ultimately shallow.

Please provide any factual support to your statements besides the current price. TSW longevity? This game hit the bargain bin and lower price faster then any major MMO on the market. Better how? see my prior statement as well as the large wall of complaints TSW has had hence the lack of subs to it.

Played both extensively. Can't go into details obviously.  Take it with a grain of salt if you want, i really don't care; it's your money.

If longevity is a concern I'd go with TSW.  Defiance is going to be far more of a casual affair.

TSW is also just plain better(and cheaper) on the grand scale.  Defiance is fun but ultimately shallow.

Please provide any factual support to your statements besides the current price. TSW longevity? This game hit the bargain bin and lower price faster then any major MMO on the market. Better how? see my prior statement as well as the large wall of complaints TSW has had hence the lack of subs to it.

Played both extensively. Can't go into details obviously.  Take it with a grain of salt if you want, i really don't care; it's your money.

We've broken the NDA by admitting we play it at all - so fill your boots.  If it's positive feedback, Trion may well publish it.  (I'd name the news source but I am under an NDA)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by jocieB

We've broken the NDA by admitting we play it at all - so fill your boots.  If it's positive feedback, Trion may well publish it.  (I'd name the news source but I am under an NDA)

That's not how it works.

Originally posted by jocieB

That's not how it works.

Legally, it is exactly how it works.  But who gives a shit about the law?  Trion don't.  And I don't care either because it's a great game.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by rojo6934

The number keys arent a huge problem, the animations are the main problem. I could live with spamming even 1 button if the animations were enjoyable.

I don´t get it, everyone is parotting this "the animation are a problem" crap?

here, a random TSW video pulled up with gameplay, now point out exactly where the bad animation is, the walking? the runnign? the shooting? the dodging? what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2EA2qspSY

GW2 here, so this looks in any shape or form better? you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UMjdsQXKxE

oh and look at the buttons pressed,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2, what coincidence

pathetic forum parrots, really

you cant even compare the animations of GW2 to TSW , combat is clunky and slow in the secret world and animations are what everyone here and on their own boards scream about is the most lacking. I can give you the skill system is similiar with the 1 hotbar approach but why call people names here when they are right and you know it?  [mod edit]

I remember when I was fighting a group of 4 zombies with a shotty, and how they spread out and two of them were directly off to my side...Somehow I was hitting all of them (yes with a shotgun) at point blank and when they died it looked like they had fainted.....I wasnt sure if they were really dead or had just fallen over.....Anway I would recommend Anarchy Online before I recommend TSW.....TSW was just a short term single player adventure that pretty much had sucky combat and animations.