Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Scarlet Blade: Scarlet Blade... Really?

Comments

• KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27
    It will be interesting to see if the furore over this game goes mainstream, and if it does, whether it kills it or makes it thrive.  It seems less creepy to me than the games where the characters look about five years old, and run around like toddlers, yet the females have adult curves... but as long as playing the game is voluntary rather than compulsory, where's the problem?
  • marksteelemarksteele Member UncommonPosts: 60

Looking on the bright side...at least they took out the class that looked like a kid lol..

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Kaerella
    It will be interesting to see if the furore over this game goes mainstream, and if it does, whether it kills it or makes it thrive.  It seems less creepy to me than the games where the characters look about five years old, and run around like toddlers, yet the females have adult curves... but as long as playing the game is voluntary rather than compulsory, where's the problem?

This game and the type you mentioned are not really a problem as more like watching a 4 year old sitting on the other side of Mc Donalds picking gum from under his chair and start to chew it. Makes you put down your meal and gag a little. A part of me is glad for the gamers that will play this one as I am less likely to have them in my game at some quest hub trying to /flirt with me. (((eye roll)))

EDIT: I hate auto correct lol

• noegusisnoegusis Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Hentaaaaaaaaaaaaai
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Zen_Blade
    Originally posted by xer0id

Tera: Skimpy Outfits, Panties Showing, BOOBIES> O_o
    Vindictus Vella Character: Boob Slider, Goodness. xD - nakedness.
    Age of Conan: Fully NAKED: Boobies. ;D

ehem*

As an Anime-fan id consider 'Scarlet's Blade' to be the equivalent of the anime 'Queens-Blade', I wouldn't put it in the 'Hentai' Category. Alas- I'm afraid I have to agree, a step too far indeed. I don't mind boob-sliders, and panties~ and some nudity.~ Even in Age of Conan: Full on BREASTNESS.

I have nothing more to say, other than a quote i found on YT.
    "I think end game content will involve your entire party's? mech morphing into one giant boob."

Yeah this is adapted from Queen's Blade in the East.  The name is changed for the Western Market.  Not Hentai, it's fanservice with lots of skin, boobs, panty shots, etc...

Queen's Blade?  So there is probably a surprise waiting under that skimpy attire.  Like a jack in the box.  Surprise!!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Then: I read it for the articles.

Now: I downloaded it for the gameplay.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by Four0Six

You rail against this game, but keep or used to keep Playboy mags in your closet?

I am the husband to a wonderful wife and a father to the most amazing daughter ever. I too agree that the objectifcation of women is in bad taste at a minimum.

But....untill I hear you decry SI and their swimsuit issue, or Playboy, or the GoDaddy.com adds, the claims you make against this or any other game that contains scantily clad women, are lip service paid to the cause. For shame. I say again For shame.

I like most all of what you have to say Bill Murphy, but I lean on a leg of integruity, either stand against all objectification, of hush up.

I would just like to point out in order to be a good editor Bill needs to read all kinds of publications. Trade journals, reference books, nudie magazines (but only the articles).

I actually don't care  one bit what Bill reads. I am a Libertarian after all. What I do "care" about is the common practice of railing against something in one form of media, but not in others. For all I care folks can watch "independantly produced hardcore art films", but if you do that you arent allowed to say "This game takes scanty clad too far.".

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The near nudity doesn't bother me though it's far from what I am looking for in a game. I would probably try it to see if there is any meat with the potatoes (perhaps melons) but I hate gender locked games.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I'm so not in to Hentai, that I had to actually look up the word to see what it meant! lol

Anyhoot, while I'm not going to pretend like some that I don't appreciate females for their physical makeup (in addition to their mental), including all its femininity, I will say that I have no interest in a game that’s sole purpose appears to exploit females for the purpose of making money off Neanderthals that can’t see past the ruse.

Now, I’m not saying this game is such a game, as I don’t know enough about it to make that judgment (although it does appear that way at first glance). What I am saying, is that if the game is great, yet contains beautiful women that are sexy; then fine. I have absolutely no problem with that! I love beautiful, sexy women…But, not simply as such. Just like I’m not drawn to a woman simply because she’s beautiful and sexy, I’m not drawn to a game for that reason either.

It has to be more. For me, it has to be deeper than that.

I’ve dated women that were beautiful and sexy and not much more than that; just like I’ve played games that were beautiful and sexy and not much more. Neither one is really what I’m looking for. 

To each their own.

Your fail comment, failed.

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Im over it
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Wow , look at you folks getting so serious over a fun column. I agreed with Bill, without knowing the background it seemed like a blatant "sex sells" ; now that I know it stems from an anime I could care less. Different cultures and what not ...

Good show Bill, enjoyed the column .. the rest of you lighten up.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Four0Six

You rail against this game, but keep or used to keep Playboy mags in your closet?

I am the husband to a wonderful wife and a father to the most amazing daughter ever. I too agree that the objectifcation of women is in bad taste at a minimum.

But....untill I hear you decry SI and their swimsuit issue, or Playboy, or the GoDaddy.com adds, the claims you make against this or any other game that contains scantily clad women, are lip service paid to the cause. For shame. I say again For shame.

I like most all of what you have to say Bill Murphy, but I lean on a leg of integruity, either stand against all objectification, of hush up.

Have you ever heard the expression "False Dichotomy?"

Your presumption here rests on one: America, you're cool with boobies as a selling gimmick, or you're hypocrites who love violence but hate sex.

Of course "bad taste" or "decorum" or "propriety" never occured to you as a basis for the objections, right? How about Misogyny, sexism, objectification?

Larry Flynt never quite grasped why the government went after him, but not Hefner.

Who are you trying to BS Four0Six, you are on a website that has a plethora of games listed that objectify women, yet here you are posting on such a site!

Based on your train of thought, you should also become a shut-in or a recluse in the woods somewhere. I suppose you don't watch any tv then...or listen to any music. Objectification of women is everywhere, my friend! As is objectification of men! I don't think you have a clue as to how deep that rabbit hole goes!

I consider myself to be a good looking man and as such, just as men objectify women, I've had my share of women trying to get me to take my shirt off so they can feel my abs, or get me into bed simply based off my looks. It goes both ways, so don't kid yourself.

Furthermore, It is in our makeup to appreciate the opposite sex for its physical characteristics and has been that way since the dawning of time. Before the phrase objectification of women was even coined, men were choosing mates instinctively based on the size of the woman's hips (among other things) as it was a sign that they were healthy enough to reproduce. Also, women chose men, sometimes subconsciously based on how deep the men's voices were as it was an indication of the level of a man's testosterone, with which women believed meant the man could reproduce and better protect the family.

You better live in a bubble if you think you're ever going to live in a world without objectification of women or men!

There is a lot more wrong with this world than the objectification of men and women

I say this as a Christian male and father of a little girl.

Your fail comment, failed.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Don't click the link for the offical site from here its been hacked

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Then: I read it for the articles.

Now: I downloaded it for the gameplay.

Future:  I make fun of it, for the giant swords and boobies.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan
    Originally posted by GranDux
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan

You're clearly misunderstanding me! You better reread what I wrote there Einstein.

I'm in your corner! Hello!!!

So, no! I doubt your father was anything like me!

I'm going to guess that you didn't actually read what I wrote did you? Did you see one or two words, like Christian perhaps and then freak out? So eager to prove that you disagree?

B-but, it the power of the santanic breasteses of my squishy mouse-pad which distracted me! Must cross fingers and say "Satan, begone" to undo the effects of the magical voodo breastses of doom.

Your may be right as he was probably much stricter than yourself. Very much. :)

You mentioned that a female is objectified in games like this. How is it so when a female should be entilted to express her own sexuality anyway she pleases? Was it not then too the bible objectified women to dare hint that they had a sexuality to began with or even to enjoy it?

For it is much easier for a man to take off his shirt to show off his abs than a female to show the naturality of her chest. Then it's wrong!

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

Open-ended question still remains. Is it actually objectification of some real-life person out there when the game itself is voluntary and rated or is it the freedom and level of artistic sexual expression some are simply not used to or don't like? :)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Lets be honest, almost every game uses ads with chicks showing clevage.  Look at the Neverwinter or STO ads from Cryptic.  Those pictures dont even have anything to do with the game.  AoC had naked boobs, Mortal Online has penis.  This is the road we are on and I would not be surprised to see a mainstream MMO focused on Sex in the next decade with full frontal nudity and achievements for shagging your friends. 

(No, Sexcraft is NOT a mainstream MMO)

If it were more equal across the board, I would be fine with nudity/sex in video games, but there is no way anyone is going to convince me that it isn't heavily slanted towards male gratification and that to me is very much a big problem.

How many ads of these Asian games have been very questionable: the women have big doe-like eyes and therefore at some level look "innocent" in their body language, yet their body shape, their position in the ad, their clothing, etc. quite clearly is meant to make them look like objects of sexual desire ? This is a paradox and I don't really think this is very healthy at all. Sure, these women might actually be girls of high school age and we can say that a lot of the audience of these games are teenage boys, but we have to remember that they are not the only ones playing these games.

In this game, the characters are quite clearly women, but the artists are going the route that comic strip artists have gone in with objectifying the sexual aspects of a woman's body to the point that they are hypersexualized.

Men are not shown like this. Sure you might have brawny Terminator-types, and some might even wear loinclothes, but it is very rare and usually not in a sexual context. They are usually shown in a context of conquest, strength, aggression, and battle. And furthermore, these male images are considered by Western culture at least to be very positive, whereas the more subservient, hypersexualized portrayal of women is yes, desirable to at least some elements, but is also tinged with negativity.

This is not the same as where in AoC, MO and even AO to a point you have naked people in general or you have sexier clothes for male characters too, not just for female characters. I actually like that sort of freedom and I wish more devs would go that route than forcing hypersexualized females down our throats and men who are usually quite the opposite (borderline asexual, I mean in most games the male characters don't even have a package).

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    We choose what to fill our minds with, sadly next statement makes for a case against violent movies and games.... When you fill your mind with the violent or sexual thoughts, you want to make them a reality. Most of us can differentiate between right and wrong and it stops there. Some of us can't though. It doesnt have to be extreme either. I know on a day im filling my mind with hate and violence and been exposed to the sexual nature of these games, I tend to lose my ability to focus and make radical statements even on thses forums. Whats to stop the next guy from taking it further and the next even further....

The police, vigilantes, and orderlies with giant butterfly nets. 

There are plenty of crazy people out there and they will do crazy things one way or another.  Everytime there is some sort of shooting there is a public outcry to ban guns, at least for a while.  Sometimes they try to go after video games for a while too.  No one ever seems to want to talk about the source of the problem.  Better access to mental health treatment for the people that need it is the only real solution. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    MOAR BEWBS !!!!111!!one
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    [mod edit]

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I love boobies, I love this game.
  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

I forget the exact number but there's something like 200 million more men than women in China (or some crazy number like that) and China is an increasing market - so - i think people are barking at the moon here.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    [mod edit]
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Lets be honest, almost every game uses ads with chicks showing clevage.  Look at the Neverwinter or STO ads from Cryptic.  Those pictures dont even have anything to do with the game.  AoC had naked boobs, Mortal Online has penis.  This is the road we are on and I would not be surprised to see a mainstream MMO focused on Sex in the next decade with full frontal nudity and achievements for shagging your friends. 

(No, Sexcraft is NOT a mainstream MMO)

If it were more equal across the board, I would be fine with nudity/sex in video games, but there is no way anyone is going to convince me that it isn't heavily slanted towards male gratification and that to me is very much a big problem.

So, by your own admission, objectification is not actually a problem, just the percentages given the demographics the games are designed for.  Got it - whatever males want is bad.

Feminists have been demonizing everything male, and every biologically or culturally masculine trait, for decades.  Whatever men want or like is labelled as bad, inherently misogynistic, etc.  Demanding that everything be changed to suit one gender, often at the expense of the other, just isn't fair, and it's not equality.

How many ads of these Asian games have been very questionable: the women have big doe-like eyes and therefore at some level look "innocent" in their body language, yet their body shape, their position in the ad, their clothing, etc. quite clearly is meant to make them look like objects of sexual desire ? This is a paradox and I don't really think this is very healthy at all. Sure, these women might actually be girls of high school age and we can say that a lot of the audience of these games are teenage boys, but we have to remember that they are not the only ones playing these games.

We also have to remember that women are not the only one playing these games, which is a point those decrying sexism seem to miss.  The hypocrisy here is that women complain about the one-sidedness of design, and yet are advocating more one-sidedness, the only difference is that they demand to be in control it.

In this game, the characters are quite clearly women, but the artists are going the route that comic strip artists have gone in with objectifying the sexual aspects of a woman's body to the point that they are hypersexualized.

Men are not shown like this. Sure you might have brawny Terminator-types, and some might even wear loinclothes, but it is very rare and usually not in a sexual context. They are usually shown in a context of conquest, strength, aggression, and battle. And furthermore, these male images are considered by Western culture at least to be very positive, whereas the more subservient, hypersexualized portrayal of women is yes, desirable to at least some elements, but is also tinged with negativity.

People see what they want to see, and have largely been conditioned to see "sexism" against women, and fail to see the same "sexism" against men, even in cases that are pretty much identical.  Whether you "see" it or not, many games sexualize men in the way models are designed as well.  The attributes that focus on strength and powerful appearance ARE the sexual idealization for men.

This is not the same as where in AoC, MO and even AO to a point you have naked people in general or you have sexier clothes for male characters too, not just for female characters. I actually like that sort of freedom and I wish more devs would go that route than forcing hypersexualized females down our throats and men who are usually quite the opposite (borderline asexual, I mean in most games the male characters don't even have a package).

Much of this is the style of the genre, which is done in part ot meet the expectations of those people looking to play within that genre.  Stereotypes are often used to do that.  Did you notice that most of the mobs that are murdered by the millions in videogames are male?  That's a stereotype as well - males are disposable, and are the norm for being murdered, no one gives it a second thought.

My answers above in yellow.

Other than that, the self-righteousness of this article is amusing.  Take a look at the advertising history of this web site.  Remember the Evony ads?  The AoC ads?  The recent RIFT ads?

There's currently an ad on this site for Granado Espada, featuring a woman with very large breasts, that fades in along with the caption "Explore Adventures of EPIC proportions."

Or the Sevencore ad featuring a very curvy women bent over, back arched, etc.

Or the large-breasted woman in the Neverwinter ad.

Sex sells.  Ads and games are designed to appeal to certain demographics.  If it doesn't appeal to someone, don't play it, or don't buy it.  It's arrogant to think that everything must be designed to appeal to "me", or it's evil.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    This game looks the same as tera, except without the pedophile little girl avatars. You guys did not say jack squat about tera's extremely over sexualized avatars, so why you dissing thise game?