Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@ Veteran DAoC players

Believe it or not, you are not God's gift to the world. I keep seeing a strange superiority complex amongst many of these folks, and I don't quite understand why. Need I remind you that this is NOT a sequel to your beloved game, and therefore many, and I do mean many aspects will be very different in this game, as stated by Mark himself numerous times. Many of us seem to be completely stuck in the past, though.

Comments

• BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50
    I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. 
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Not all of we DAOC vets are like that. I don't think any of us are thinking its a sequal. MJ has said many times it isn't. I think everyone of us is just excited MJ is back and going to be making a new mmo. He was successful with DAOC, and I think he can be again. If you don't like what someone has to say, there's a nice block button you can use.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    We're not God's gift to the wolrd, just God's gift to MMORPG's.
  • Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Pretty sure I sweat excellence. 

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    We're not God's gift to the wolrd, just God's gift to MMORPG's.

Haha +1

The reason a lot of DAoC veterans have a superiority complex is because they severely dislike the newer generation of MMO gamers and how everything always returns to comparisons to World of Warcraft or some random FPS on X-Box Live.  I'm sure there's more to it than that, but nostalgia also has an incredible cloud over judgment. 

Just take it with a grain of salt.  Instead of working on killing each other and dividing the core community, we need to redirect our ignorance into something positive.. like building the community and continue suggesting ideas with healthy discussion.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

Because veteran DAOC players understand a large scale 3 realm based rvr game.  Unlike any other MMO.

That and we are better then you.

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Wolvan

Because veteran DAOC players understand a large scale 3 realm based rvr game.  Unlike any other MMO.

That and we are better then you.

Joking or not, this sort of attitude does nothing but hinder the community.

• falcukfalcuk Member UncommonPosts: 42
    i smell inferiority complex!
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Not all of we DAOC vets are like that. I don't think any of us are thinking its a sequal. MJ has said many times it isn't. I think everyone of us is just excited MJ is back and going to be making a new mmo. He was successful with DAOC, and I think he can be again. If you don't like what someone has to say, there's a nice block button you can use.

wasn't MJ back with warhammer?  how did that turn out? 

edit:  inb4 but EA......

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Well, as a true daoc veteran, I definitely know, that I'm better, smarter, bigger, better looking and have more money than everyone of you. Additionally I can make the sun shine out of my golden ass. Dont get cocky with me!

Hodor!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    What's more annoying are all these threads that more correctly belong in the DAOC forums and not CU.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    Believe it or not, you are not God's gift to the world. I keep seeing a strange superiority complex amongst many of these folks, and I don't quite understand why. Need I remind you that this is NOT a sequel to your beloved game, and therefore many, and I do mean many aspects will be very different in this game, as stated by Mark himself numerous times. Many of us seem to be completely stuck in the past, though.

We played the one RvR game that is widely considered to have got that kind of PvP right, so you'll forgive us if we think we have superior insight into how CU should work than people who PvE raided night and day in WOW. CU is not technically a direct sequel to DAOC but it unmistakably is heavily inspired by it, and I don't think Mark will be happy with the final game if DAOC veterans don't love it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by meddyck

We played the one RvR game that is widely considered to have got that kind of PvP right, so you'll forgive us if we think we have superior insight into how CU should work than people who PvE raided night and day in WOW. CU is not technically a direct sequel to DAOC but it unmistakably is heavily inspired by it, and I don't think Mark will be happy with the final game if DAOC veterans don't love it.

Looky here, we found one!

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    New guys / peasants: You can still join the ex-DAoCer master race. Search for uthgard on google. After reaching level 50 and RR5+ with at least one group char your opinion will finally matter!

Fact of the matter remains, anyone running around thinking they got skillz from pvp'ing in wow / GW2 etc is going to get a rude awakening when CU arrives and the old hardcore RVR daoc players roll up and wipe the floor with them.

it WILL happen, watch this space, unless you have playeed this type of PVP before you are going to get owned hard and fast til you figure out how to play in this type of game.

Im sorry but GW2 doesnt come close to DAOC's PVP, neither does Wow, yes this is NOT DAOC 2, but the foundations and principes i think you find will be the same

Originally posted by falcuk

Fact of the matter remains, anyone running around thinking they got skillz from pvp'ing in wow / GW2 etc is going to get a rude awakening when CU arrives and the old hardcore RVR daoc players roll up and wipe the floor with them.

it WILL happen, watch this space, unless you have playeed this type of PVP before you are going to get owned hard and fast til you figure out how to play in this type of game.

Im sorry but GW2 doesnt come close to DAOC's PVP, neither does Wow, yes this is NOT DAOC 2, but the foundations and principes i think you find will be the same

And another one!

• madmossymadmossy Member Posts: 9

As a DAoC veteran myself I'd be inclined to say that while there have been good MMO's released in the past decade al of which suit their own niche market of player, non have had the sense of rivalry, community or realm pride that DAoC had. With the advent of MMO's for the masses, everything got "dumbed" down and made simpler so that anyone could play. While great for impressing investors it bought a huge number of undesirables to the genre, namely kids, hackers, exploiters etc.

Now DAoC certainly had its fair share of bad people, those using exploits/hacks like radar where around, but they were in my experience a very small minority.

That's not so say I think all other games are inferior to DAoC, I had some fantastic times in games like, Guild Wars 2, WoW, Starwars, Rift and Warhammer they all filled a specific need for me, neither game has managed to successfully match or surpass DAoC for RvR though. GW2 got close but I have no desire to do WvW because I personally see now point in it. Which boils down to the lack of realm pride and rivalry. That and the fact its very much geared towards the zerg vs zerg combat leaving solo players pretty much twiddling thumbs.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

And another one!

Oh look, we found a loser who didn't play DAoC! Wtf are you doing on our forums? Go play WoW.
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    New guys / peasants: You can still join the ex-DAoCer master race. Search for uthgard on google. After reaching level 50 and RR5+ with at least one group char your opinion will finally matter!

HAHA +1.

And another one!

Dont be bitter and sad at your lack of skill bud, go play some DAOC free to learn how real mans PVP is played, then it wont hurt as much when you get spanked later :)

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I dont think anyone of the veterans has announced, that the skiltvaktens like you may speak up. So, hush, heres a broom...and there are the entry stairs of darkness falls. Go clean them until they blink like a fresh lurikeens ass.

Hodor!

And another one!

Dont be bitter and sad at your lack of skill bud, go play some DAOC free to learn how real mans PVP is played, then it wont hurt as much when you get spanked later :)

That's pretty funny. And sad. But still funny.

Do tell me more of the old days, since I've obviously missed them. How does a real man PVP in a game? Damnit, I'm laughing again.

Originally posted by gwei1984

I dont think anyone of the veterans has announced, that the skiltvaktens like you may speak up. So, hush, heres a broom...and there are the entry stairs of darkness falls. Go clean them until they blink like a fresh lurikeens ass.

Hahaha!

Lol your owning yourself with every reply
    Originally posted by meddyck

Times have changed though. These days, people rather zerg up and avoid fights, instead taking unguarded landmarks for free points. Atleast, that's the trend. 

So if they were to straight-up copy it, it might very well be something utterly dissapointing, simply because of those people.

This discussion has been closed.