Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars 2 gets better... right?

12346»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Therooster

I never said every time.  And you're missing the point.  You're trying too hard to troll and insult me because I said things about your game that upset you.  I don't much care what you think about my playskill.  I have a guild full of people who know I do just fine.  

The reality is the game encourages zerg tactics because the is game repetitive and discourages teamwork--whether it's needed or not isn't the issue.  If I wanted a solo game, I'd play Skyrim.  And your comments about Champions being easily soloable proves my point.  If the 'elites' are easy to solo, then why use teamwork?

Hey if you like the game and the way it plays, cool.  But plenty of people have become bored with it and it has nothing to do with skill or lack thereof.  It has to do with the fact that so many things that we want in an MMO are missing.  I just outlined what those things are for many of us and I've had plenty chime in to agree with me.  The game feels like an action RPG most of the time.

But hey...I'm glad your immense skill and ability to solo mobs intended for groups is keeping you interested...bro.

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I have come to play the game about 30 mins to an hour for a quick action fix after playing my MMORPG of choice.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

I'd suggest trying a different profession and possibly a different race. You're not going to like all professions starting off and engineer is one that takes time to mature. What don't you like, though? What's diminishing your experience?

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

OP, I'm not sure what type of MMO do you like.
    May be GW2 is just wrong type.

2. Engi to me is worst ever class, IMO, del this char. I like mesmer, ele, warrior and ranger so far.

3. Try anything by making new class char, then go to PvP (you'll be lvl 80 so you can try all skills) and look if you like this class.

4. once you done your personal story (not bad, nothing much compare to GW1 mission either, IMO only), crafting (if you like craft), exploration (if you like grind) and got lvl 80, game will be mean-less for you, except if you like to do hard (or just long) and boring dungeons or you love WvW.

5. sorry to hear you got hyped like me...

6. I guess best will be to ask for reimbursement, if you think you bought wrong game. In this case, plz, look all A+++ games became free to download (f2p with item shop) lately.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I'm a GW2 fan. But I really don't like the engineer class. Leveled one to max, and I had to force myself.

I think if the engineer is the only class you've played it's no wonder you don't like the game. Try a different class.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The gameplay formula remains the same for the rest of the game, so if that is what turns you off, like it did me, then it gets worse, not better.  If it's class related, then yes, the engineer is one of the worst choices.  Even if I liked the way the game plays, I don't care for many of the classes, including the engineer, necormancer, warrior, thief and ranger (hate the weak and easily killed pet).  The guardian was my favorite as I always prefer classes with survivability, followed by the elementalist and finally the mesmer.

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28
    Well, if you like jumping puzzles, you'll only get more and more complicated ones.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Just bought, downloaded and installed the game today. after playing for about two hours, I feel like i just threw away 60 bucks. I am playing as a human engineer, only level 4. I dont even know if I want to log on anymore. Please tell me it gets better and I'm just getting the wrong first impression :[

usually a lot of  people skip this link .   https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/ ok humans sounds boring but choosing a race is not problem, the engineer is my favorite it seems it doesnt have a lot of options but it has a hardway to leanr the class to be usefull but in 4 lvl you cant understand entirely the class, probably you miss the fact that you dodge, you have your self heal and many others and its not your fault the game has horrible tutorial but after you pass that stage (if you pass) and understand what type of fun the game offers you then you will see that the guys who made it, they tried their best or at least had awesome ideas

edit: why so much hate for the engineer ?! : /

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

The Engineer can be fun, especially when you get the flame thrower and start aoe'ing everything!

It is not able to solo at any point in the game when doing champoins or dungeons, but can handle the rest when played as intended (not ALL classes have drawback).

I started with a necro, got to level 3 and decide it was poo, and moved on the the Engineer. I have now got 6 lvl 80 chars, all are different classes.

So keep at it or try another class and maybe come back to it later!!!

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    The gameplay formula remains the same for the rest of the game, so if that is what turns you off, like it did me, then it gets worse, not better.  If it's class related, then yes, the engineer is one of the worst choices.  Even if I liked the way the game plays, I don't care for many of the classes, including the engineer, necormancer, warrior, thief and ranger (hate the weak and easily killed pet).  The guardian was my favorite as I always prefer classes with survivability, followed by the elementalist and finally the mesmer.

I heard the rants shortly after release, that bear was the only pet worth a damn and Anet took it to heart. I have a level 30+ Ranger alt and I can't say any of the pets are really all that weak anymore. It's been 6 months, many of the things that turned you off could no longer be true. Try your ranger again, get a couple of pets and see how weak they are.

imageimage
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I heard the rants shortly after release, that bear was the only pet worth a damn and Anet took it to heart. I have a level 30+ Ranger alt and I can't say any of the pets are really all that weak anymore. It's been 6 months, many of the things that turned you off could no longer be true. Try your ranger again, get a couple of pets and see how weak they are.

I had the same problem. I started out with a guardian, which was incredibly, and then leveled a ranger. It was dreadful and turned me off from the game. I came back, ignored my ranger and played other classes and I still love the game. Ranger is just not as well designed as the others.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

I just picked the game up last week. I have leveled max lvl toons in WoW, AoC, WAR,  DCUO, Rift, SWTOR....the leveling in this game (quests) are very grindy/boring. After having leveld through SWTOR (the best questing exp in any MMO iv ever played), I was almost instantly turned off...

With that said, I bought the game looking for a populated replacement for WAR's PVP...and I can say without a doubt, WvW is epic, and where this game's strengths are at. I spent 3 hours of non stop battling in WvW last night, attacked 2 keeps, defended 2, played cat and mouse with camps etc...gained 3 levels worth of XP. Maybe because its new for now, but the WvW gave me more "giddy" fun than raiding in WoW has lately.

PvE, the game seems like a joke..but PVP..pure epicness

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by doodphace

I just picked the game up last week. I have leveled max lvl toons in WoW, AoC, WAR,  DCUO, Rift, SWTOR....the leveling in this game (quests) are very grindy/boring. After having leveld through SWTOR (the best questing exp in any MMO iv ever played), I was almost instantly turned off...

With that said, I bought the game looking for a populated replacement for WAR's PVP...and I can say without a doubt, WvW is epic, and where this game's strengths are at. I spent 3 hours of non stop battling in WvW last night, attacked 2 keeps, defended 2, played cat and mouse with camps etc...gained 3 levels worth of XP. Maybe because its new for now, but the WvW gave me more "giddy" fun than raiding in WoW has lately.

funny cause i see so many on this site claim the EXACT opposite of that all the time... well not epic pve but fun pve and horrible PVP... heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I wish I had never spent money on this game and that the 65 dollars was still in my pocket.  Oh well...
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by f1seb
    I wish I had never spent money on this game and that the 65 dollars was still in my pocket.  Oh well...

Then get a refund. ANet does that you know... gives refunds. If you actually hate it that much, get a refund and be on your happy way. May you find a game you truly enjoy.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by doodphace

funny cause i see so many on this site claim the EXACT opposite of that all the time... well not epic pve but fun pve and horrible PVP... heh

From a PvE perspective, the story is much better in SWTOR, the endgame PvE content is much better in WoW, and the randomized events are more epic in Rift. GW2 does everything well (except having no endgame raids), but there are other games that do each specific thing better.

In regards to PvP/WvW, I have not played anything like it, except maybe WAR, but in GW2 it is done MUCH better.

Imho

• ajcohen63ajcohen63 Member Posts: 8

To the Poster

I hate to agree with you. Guild Wars 2 is a great game, but its shelf life for new players is expiring.  I have one Level 80 and I goto the high level zones and the game is great. On the other hand I have a level 52 and am trying to go through  mid level zones and level that character up , but most of those are empty.  I can hardly find groups for the mid level dungeons. 

I mostly stick to my high level character and play him in fractals and orr.  

Unfortunately while Guild Wars 2 is still a popular and really fun game. Without the ability to really power level due to the level scaling and the event system there are not many new players.  I find the best lower level areas are the human zones. They are still popular. I think you can get a lot out of the game and play through the story solo fine up to about level 50 or so.  Then getting from 50 - 80 will be challenging.

AJ

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

The reason Bear is the only pet worth a damn is because it provides Condition Removal without needing to take up a slot on your ability bar or needing to trait for it.

Steam: Neph

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Why...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Why...

Kind of my question also...

If you look at his history he had quite a few good things to say about the game a few months ago, and slowly faded into mediocrity. If you were to buy a console game at the same price you would generally only get about 40 hours of gameplay out of it and put it on the shelf. Well, at least that is what I do. I never say, "dang, why did I buy that" after playing and getting entertainment out of it.

It's his opinion and I respect it but still I don't need to understand! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Why...

If you look at his history he had quite a few good things to say about the game a few months ago, and slowly faded into mediocrity. If you were to buy a console game at the same price you would generally only get about 40 hours of gameplay out of it and put it on the shelf. Well, at least that is what I do. I never say, "dang, why did I buy that" after playing and getting entertainment out of it.

I think there is kinda consensus that if you play MMO, you should play it for years. Or it was not worth it...

I don't share this opinion, but I can understand it. People spend money with some expectations and when those expectations are not fullfiled, they feel cheated and betrayed. It doesn't really matter, for those people, that you can get cheated and betrayed much more at the same price elsewhere...

Originally posted by Kaleston

Why...

I think there is kinda consensus that if you play MMO, you should play it for years. Or it was not worth it...

I don't share this opinion, but I can understand it. People spend money with some expectations and when those expectations are not fullfiled, they feel cheated and betrayed. It doesn't really matter, for those people, that you can get cheated and betrayed much more at the same price elsewhere...

Well the great thing about GW2 is that if you do become bored you can quit, come back when you feel like it, and pick up right where you left off. I played through most of the betas, on release I played and  leveled a guardian to 80, and took a break for a  while and I played other games. Last week I started again (not my guardian) and am having fun playing with my friends. 

I agree though with most folks about your idea of playing an mmo for several months. That idea was great years ago when you had so little to pick from in this genre. I think the thing is is that if folks have any type of boredom set in they immediatly think "oh I can go play game X". The days of Everquest and Vanilla WoW you didn't have so many options and stuck with it no matter what. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah, the wife and I played for a little bit, but I couldn't get into it either.  I tried a couple classes, and I just didn't connect with the classes or the game.  I have been thinking of retrying it, since it was during launch, but I talk myself out of it usually.  Last MMO I played that everyone kept telling me to wait till level 'x' and things changed, they never did.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I agree though with most folks about your idea of playing an mmo for several months. That idea was great years ago when you had so little to pick from in this genre. I think the thing is is that if folks have any type of boredom set in they immediatly think "oh I can go play game X". The days of Everquest and Vanilla WoW you didn't have so many options and stuck with it no matter what. /shrug

One thing to consider is demographic of players these days. Back in the old days, most players were students and young people that had tons of time to spend, so it was no problem to play 10+ hours a day. Nowadays those exact gamers are young and medium age people that actually have jobs and families and their time options are limited to say the least. So games need to go for more casual approach. So yeah years of hardcore games like vanilla wow that required you to play a lot are numbered and they can be at best simply niche like sandboxes.

Originally posted by Xthos

Yeah, the wife and I played for a little bit, but I couldn't get into it either.  I tried a couple classes, and I just didn't connect with the classes or the game.  I have been thinking of retrying it, since it was during launch, but I talk myself out of it usually.  Last MMO I played that everyone kept telling me to wait till level 'x' and things changed, they never did.

It is a different game for sure and not for everyone. I'm not sure of course why you don't get into it, but a l think a lot of players are use to being told or led to their next objective. It GW2 it's more open and the drive isn't as strong to continue without guidance. 

I hope you play enough to get your $60 worth no matter what! Good luck 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Engineer suks and gets worse at higher levels, I got one who is 43 right now and sucks badly. I will recommend playing a warrior or a guardian. Other people like better Mesmer or Elementalist. Many people like Thief, but engineer and rangers are right now in the suck basket. Although there is a lot of complains about the nerf that many classes got in the last patch. Dont know what to say, you can always ask for a refund.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY