Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

1235»

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    what's with all the people crying about no x-pac?  i thought gw2 provided plenty of things for you guys to do.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by muffins89
    what's with all the people crying about no x-pac?  i thought gw2 provided plenty of things for you guys to do.

I have tons of stuff to do that I will probably not be finished by the end of the year :D I am still leveling up my second toon (level 40), have done only 1 storymode dungeon (AC) and have barely touched wvwv and SPvP and I have aabout 35% map completion. I am playing since early November soooooooooooooooooooo it will take a while :D

But its always good to have an expansion you know ;P

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by jpnz

Since it was an 'investor call' pretty sure an excuse like that isn't really going to work.

'Expansion' means 'a product that the company will sell' to an investor in this context; it is basically asking for your income this year and a 'free expansion' doesn't cause a bump on your reveune sheet.

That or NCSoft doesn't know what their subsidiary is doing which is probably not the case when it came to that call. They would have double / tripe checked with ANet.

Hey, it works for me. Here's what Nadia was kind enough to dig up and post:

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

The whole expansion concept comes from the expectations of KDB Daewoo, not NCSoft, not ArenaNet. Analysts are not infallible. They can and do make mistakes. Maybe they mistook ANet releasing content through the year as releasing an expansion because that's all they know, we don't know. But no one can show anywhere at all ANet ever claiming an expansion was even in the works, and we see Colin gently backing off those expectations put in place by analysts half-way around the globe.

But why is Anet doing this to us??? We want an expansion! I personally have tons of content to go through and I've been playing since the beginning of Nov. Although I play very casually because of other commitments. But I still want an expansion! I want new classes (even though I am still working on leveling up a second toon so tons of alts to level up) and tons of new zones, skills and PVP modes for Spvp!

The hell...who is this "We" you speak of?

Is it me or people acting like we will [never] get an expansion? I swear on my Life I do hope this is not the case.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Let's say the are not lying to us, and there is no expansion played, how long would it take to flip the switch and make one?

Let's just say that if they really didn't start on one yet it'll be a loooong time before it releases ;)

Im pretty sure they have their first 2 expansions thought it to some extend and have most likely been developing it for some time now. and if they really didn't start on it yet i still don't care as long as they can churn out content like they are now :)
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by jpnz

Since it was an 'investor call' pretty sure an excuse like that isn't really going to work.

'Expansion' means 'a product that the company will sell' to an investor in this context; it is basically asking for your income this year and a 'free expansion' doesn't cause a bump on your reveune sheet.

That or NCSoft doesn't know what their subsidiary is doing which is probably not the case when it came to that call. They would have double / tripe checked with ANet.

Hey, it works for me. Here's what Nadia was kind enough to dig up and post:

it was first mentioned by well known analysts, KDB Daewoo, that took a recent tour of the ANET studios

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-predicted/

In China, the company is planning to launch Blade & Soul (via a publishing agreement with Tencent) in 3Q13 and Guild Wars 2 in 4Q13 (via a publishing agreement with Kong Zhong).

Furthermore, we expect NCsoft to release an expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 in Europe and the US in 2H13.

The whole expansion concept comes from the expectations of KDB Daewoo, not NCSoft, not ArenaNet. Analysts are not infallible. They can and do make mistakes. Maybe they mistook ANet releasing content through the year as releasing an expansion because that's all they know, we don't know. But no one can show anywhere at all ANet ever claiming an expansion was even in the works, and we see Colin gently backing off those expectations put in place by analysts half-way around the globe.

That is because people are too lazy to lsten to a full conference call, half in korean half in english.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'm a bit dissapointed myself. Before the game was even fully launched they stated they already had plans for the first expansion and etc. With no expansion and me being 3x80 I'll be shelving this game until one does come. 

The game is good, but I've done pretty much all I've wanted to do. Gave me many months of entertainment though and did so without a monthly fee so I can't complain. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm a bit dissapointed myself. Before the game was even fully launched they stated they already had plans for the first expansion and etc. With no expansion and me being 3x80 I'll be shelving this game until one does come. 

Define "they". Provide references.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    They already released an expac worth of updates so who cares if they dont make one or not.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    They already released an expac worth of updates so who cares if they dont make one or not.

Well, in the process of doing so, but good point.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The game is good, but I've done pretty much all I've wanted to do. Gave me many months of entertainment though and did so without a monthly fee so I can't complain. 

Define "they". Provide references.

they = Anet and digging up links from before launch and right after is a bit to much work for me at the moment. If you go to the forums even mods have made comments about how they talked about expansions early on but are focused on evolving the living story for now. 

And quote the whole thing next time. I can understand cutting out things from time to time but there was no reason to not quote the whole post. 

As I said though, I have no complaints. I got more than my monies worth and happy that I bought it. 

It sounds more like "I don't want to talk about expansions now. I want to talk to what we doing in the game that is out".

From

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

Speaking of the updating process- that’s one of the beauties of making a game that’s based in online, that you can constantly be updating it. But aside from continual updates for Guild Wars 2, are there any plans for bigger expansions that are kind of in the works?

Yeah, yeah, we are actively working on a bigger expansion as well. But that’s something we don’t have a real timetable set on yet. Our major focus now, like most of the companies, is live updates. But we do have a small group of people that is working on expansions and stuff down the road as well. But our big goal, what we wanted to do, is really kind of do something that no one’s ever done before in an MMO after it came out. And that’s every single month, adding giant updates to our game and do a huge release that really gives the players the sense that they’re paying their monthly fee, and every four to five months, they’re getting free expansions’ worth of content as part of logging into our game.

It makes no sense to have exactly the same amount of people (actually they have more since they hired people to take care of the customer support) that have been developing a game suddenly just fixing bugs, and doing some bit and pieces of content, which is what the updates are compared to the scope of the full game.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Lol, one empty region and a new dungeon is an expac worth of content to you? That's the only proper content they've released since launch... everything else is just a new grind on old content.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    put me down with the who gives a crap about a paid expac crowd. So far with the special events and living story they have released more content for free than most games do with their paid expacs. Game has not been out a year yet so not really sure what all the fuss is about anyway.

I miss DAoC

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    the thing is gw2 is phi brain style ,meaning!a lot of content is hinted at and barelly (a la vanilla wow)it is hard to explain.it isnt just go here do this.you might follow the quest and never find the hidden content.but if you do the the stuff you might have to fight a new champion or you might need to speak to x to create a new camp etc!i would say 66% of the content is hidden.so if you rely only on what you see?you might think there is no old or new content!but i can assure you as a lot of other will also there is a lot of content.just the puzzle alone sometime are hard to find.kill this veteran.oops ?a new portal is avail and it send you to a new zone you cant access other wise etc etc etc!they have hidden so much content its insane.sometime you see a wall you go at it and oops you walk right tru it!and from what i have been seeing it looks like they are bluring the line between pvp and puzzle .we ll have to wait and see but it hint that some place will be like this!anyway i love this game great graphic lot of content (tho at time it is hard to notice.(guildhead is your friend)my tip?stare everywhere slowly if you dont see fully (water blocking your view or wall/double check make sure there is no hidden path.very often they jump right in your face,like me i was with the water people and there is a hidden area with a path on top of them ,the path is literally a sphere of light!jump on them etc!but it is very well hidden! so most probably wont notice it .yet it is very obvious.some are very hard to notice.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

That is because people are too lazy to lsten to a full conference call, half in korean half in english.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

ANET denied the information from that conference call

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/253070-gw2-expansion-targeted-for-2013/

I admit its confusing when ncsoft says expansion coming in 2013

and anet says its not true

An expansion being delayed or not have a date set in stone is natural.

No expansion planed or not in the works is something completely different.

It is also possible Anet gets more time to work on an expansion due to good results.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Ingvar

no guild wars 2 expansions currently planned

Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future," he explained. "We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.

I am fucking pissed!! >:(

Philosophy of MMO Game Design