Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

<div formatted"="" id="node-316846">

Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

This new change to the log in procedure is being implemented for several reasons. This change increases the security of our game authentication system, which helps continue to keep the game protected from many security threats including account takeovers.

In case you do not know your Display Name, simply:

• Your Display Name will be shown on the top right-hand side of the website homepage.

You can use your Display Name for logging in to the website and game starting immediately and we encourage you to do so. We value our players and we want you to know that the continued security of your account is our top priority.

As always, be sure to check StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for latest updates and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130305

Comments

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    WTF arre they doing?
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    WTF arre they doing?

lol... yeah, I don't see how this strengthens security at all. It would actually lessen security from where I'm standing. 

So instead of your email account, which is private, they are going with the more secure public display name? Sounds awesome! 

I really hope this is an april fools joke, though if it is then it is in very bad taste. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Using emails as logins was a really bad system from a security standpoint.  EA / SWTOR copied what Blizzard & Battle.net did, amongst other things, as an assurance that SWTOR would be popular.

It was a cruddy move by Blizzard to even install such a system, and a cruddy move to all those who followed (blindly) what others were doing.

EA doesn't innovate much, they just copy others.

It's a good thing if EA starts requiring unique logon names (not emails).   WoW was that way, but then Blizzard tied personal identity with a customers account, which was bullshit.  Security No-No.  Stolen accounts went through the roof, and Blizzard had to install other security measures, like IP logon comparisons.

But it's not EA's own initiave that is driving this.  There is widespread talk about systems that use personal identification (email) as login.  Many other systems have already poo-poo'ed this approach.

EA isn't innovative, but they may keep customers if they continue to follow security measures.  They might do better if they actually understood them from the start.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

Using emails as logins was a really bad system from a security standpoint.  EA / SWTOR copied what Blizzard & Battle.net did, amongst other things, as an assurance that SWTOR would be popular.

It was a cruddy move by Blizzard to even install such a system, and a cruddy move to all those who followed (blindly) what others were doing.

It's a good thing if EA starts requiring unique logon names (not emails).   WoW was that way, but then Blizzard tied personal identity with a customers account, which was bullshit.  Security No-No.

But it's not EA's own initiave that is driving this.  There is widespread talk about systems that use personal identification (email) as login.  Many other systems have already poo-poo'ed this approach.

You do realize they didn't say unique login ID, correct? They are talking about using your "Display Name" instead. If you want to be secure then you do what FFXI did in the begining. 

[mod edit]

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Before reading any posts in this, people complaining about this and not working on the game?

"Display Name" = SWTOR Forum name.

^ This, they are talking about handing them half of your login information and claiming it will make your account more secure... lol?!

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's a good thing if EA starts requiring unique logon names (not emails).   WoW was that way, but then Blizzard tied personal identity with a customers account, which was bullshit.  Security No-No.

You do realize they didn't say unique login ID, correct? They are talking about using your "Display Name" instead. If you want to be secure then you do what FFXI did in the begining. 

[mod edit]

You'll have to clue me in as to what a Display Name is, versus a unique login name/ID.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    lol... yeah, I don't see how this strengthens security at all. It would actually lessen security from where I'm standing. 

So instead of your email account, which is private, they are going with the more secure public display name? Sounds awesome! 

I really hope this is an april fools joke, though if it is then it is in very bad taste. 

My thoughts exactly, I don't know why they would do this, it's worse.

[mod edit]

You'll have to clue me in as to what a Display Name is, versus a unique login name/ID.

In SWTOR your Display Name is your name on the Forums. It's there for any and all to see. 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

In SWTOR your Display Name is your name on the Forums. It's there for any and all to see. 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

In the post, a Display Name will be required to login to the game.  Isn't that unqiue?  [mod edit]

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

In the post, a Display Name will be required to login to the game.  Isn't that unqiue?

{mod edit]

Can you explain that again? Are you sure my display name is the name displayed on the forum and not a unique non displayed name used only for the login to the game?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

In the post, a Display Name will be required to login to the game.  Isn't that unqiue?

[mod edit]

Give EA one step at a time.  They just got Display Names for SWTOR after a year.

Do you really see a separate forum logon as that important?  What would you like to hide?

[mod edit]

Phillip_BW (Head of security):

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs.

Your forum name is your display name.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    So basically, all the complainers who bitch and moan constantly on the forums will have there login name known to hackers and are now the most likely to have their account compromised??? Brilliant!!! image

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Give EA one step at a time.  They just got Display Names for SWTOR after a year.

Do you really see a separate forum logon as that important?  What would you like to hide?

[mod edit]

Yes, I do see a seperate froum logon as that important. What would I like to hide? Why my log in information of course. 

The move is asinine as is anyone that believes this is a good idea. 

I mean you do know what Display means right?

Display - Make a prominent exhibition of (something) in a place where it can be easily seen

Your defense is to be sarcastic.  Beautiful defense?

You can't be that daft. Lets say I'm playting some random game called "Global Defense Panty Raid". My Display name is GrayGhost79, my unique login in is youcan'tbethisdaftKarteli27. No one sees my unique login name, but when I post on forums you do see GrayGhost79 because that is my display name. 

ps- insults aren't going to further your cause.

Yes, I do see a seperate froum logon as that important. What would I like to hide? Why my log in information of course. 

[mod edit]

Personally I'd rather just have one login for the game AND the forums.  I see no reason to separate the two.

EA is (as usual) behind the times, and they are only now drifting away from emails as logins.  That is a good step.  Asking for a separation of game vs forum login accounts is rediculous.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole, people will now make alt accounts only for posting. They then find out free accounts can't post on the forums so then they have to buy a sub.

Or people start complaining about account security, more "friendly reminders" about security tokens appear along with links to purchase.

Don't want to sound to jaded or paranoid but it is EA we are dealing with after all.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

^ This, they are talking about handing them half of your login information and claiming it will make your account more secure... lol?!

Yep. This is pretty stupid. Thank goodness from my security key. The only way you're hacking into my account is through my cold dead hands ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Um. As it is now, you can log in with email OR display name.

They will only remove 1 of the 2 options available so i can't see how going from 2 different ways to log in to 1 could be worse security wise as most guys post here say.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Personally I'd rather just have one login for the game AND the forums.  I see no reason to separate the two.

EA is (as usual) behind the times, and they are only now drifting away from emails as logins.  That is a good step.  Asking for a separation of game vs forum login accounts is rediculous.

He's just asking that half of his login information not be displayed pubicly. That isn't asking too much. This whole plan to use your Display Name decreases account security, it doesn't increase it.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

A "Hacker" can easily use a readily available legal script to collect display names from a forum. This is half of your login information. If they have half of your login information all that is left is your password. 

Many people ignore security advice and use common passwords, these will be the first to cry foul (From your posts and how uninformed you seem I believe you will be in this group). Currently you have unlimited attempts to guess passwords, while their security specialist has stated they plan on adding extra security I do not have confidence in them when they make such a inexperienced mistake like using a displayed name as a security measure so I expect the rest will be at risk as well. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Yep. This is pretty stupid. Thank goodness from my security key. The only way you're hacking into my account is through my cold dead hands ;)

I think you are on to something there. This will cause tons of security key sales.

Well played Bioware/EA...well played

Originally posted by Xerenix

Um. As it is now, you can log in with email OR display name.

They will only remove 1 of the 2 options available so i can't see how going from 2 different ways to log in to 1 could be worse security wise as most guys post here say.

That I did not know, though after reading your post I tried and it won't let me use my display name only my email. 

If it already is allowing people to log in with either email or display name then yes it would make sense to remove one of the options. Though the logical option to remove is display name for obvious reasons. 

There however simply is no justification for using publicly displayed names as personal log in identifiers. 

Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I think you are on to something there. This will cause tons of security key sales.

Well played Bioware/EA...well played

Good point guys! Its hard to imagine they would be this stupid, but EA is definitely greedy enough to pull a move like this.