Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Solid Reviews out there, a little worried

pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

I was hoping this would be a real sandbox game something akin to eve but in a fantast setting, but now I here its going to have the standard dead wow economy no player looting, no meaningful open world pvp just instnaces and your limited with your building, it almost sounds like its more like farmville 3.0

Personally I think for econmies to work that the lowest resource must still be used in the mighest tier crafting, this will always create demand for it.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    http://albiononline.com/ - the devs wanna make it a full sandbox experience though with some caveats to prevent domination of the game by larger guilds.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    http://albiononline.com/ - the devs wanna make it a full sandbox experience though with some caveats to prevent domination of the game by larger guilds.

iOS 6?

:/ it's a mobile game...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't be watching reviews,they are just biased,instead watch some actual game play.

I have watched and done a lot of homework on tis game and aside from going int opages of detail,i can say the EFFORT is there.This game might not be YOUR cup of tea,but EFFORT is the msot important thing,it means the develoepr cares more about quality and the feedback than just making a profit ..ahem EA...Blizzard.

I will see if i have actual gamers that play ALL GAMES doing their run of AA.Tehse guys are funny,relaxing and yo ucan tell they are never biased,just enjoying and having a good time,learning the variosu games.They are none other than YOGCAST.

YOGCAST

They have several game videos and wil lgive you a better understanding of this game,at least from a limited BETA phase.

I could list the many negatives, that i am concerend about,but wil ltake too long,just watch the YOGS ,Monty Python sound a likes and laugh a bit :)

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Wizardry

YOGCAST

so this new and innovative mmo everyone is hyped about still has the boring generic questing from every other mmo. Sigh, devs never learn. This is the first thing they have to skip when making a new mmo.

EDIT: Since Trion is bringing it to NA i can already feel in AA the horrible linear quest grind Rift has.

Originally posted by Crynswind

iOS 6?

:/ it's a mobile game...

It's cross compatible -_- try improving your reading skills.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

So if I enjoyed Lineage 2 in its early years (Prelude to Chronicle 5, maybe some Interlude)...this won't be my replacement game, right?

Seems like it's nothing compared to Lineage 2 when it comes down to pvp?

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Edelbert

So if I enjoyed Lineage 2 in its early years (Prelude to Chronicle 5, maybe some Interlude)...this won't be my replacement game, right?

You are better off forgetting about the early years of L2. There will never be another game like that, hell not even the current L2 is anything like the earlier chronicles. Gamers are too casual nowadays so they wouldnt put up with grinding for a full day and then die losing half the day's work. L2 how i miss you.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    i almost feel like this is a bait thread...

Originally posted by LachyFTW

You are better off forgetting about the early years of L2. There will never be another game like that, hell not even the current L2 is anything like the earlier chronicles. Gamers are too casual nowadays so they wouldnt put up with grinding for a full day and then die losing half the day's work. L2 how i miss you.

Main reason I prefer full loot PVP games, it might not be quite the same but you still take a hit in terms of time spent acquiring said items but I prefer not losing experience if at all possible, easier to get gear than to have to regrind from my point of view. This is the reason why I am kinda excited to see how Albion Online pans out because at the moment it has 0 grind in terms of experience, all your skills are linked to your items ( pseudo-Path of Exile but I think they're built into the items not gems you put into them ) and all the progression is asset based and the differences between tiers and armour types can be balanced out by skill by what the developers say so could be a tall glass of cold water after a jog through the sahara.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by rojo6934

YOGCAST

so this new and innovative mmo everyone is hyped about still has the boring generic questing from every other mmo. Sigh, devs never learn. This is the first thing they have to skip when making a new mmo.

EDIT: Since Trion is bringing it to NA i can already feel in AA the horrible linear quest grind Rift has.

EVE, which is consideed being the best sandbox on the market right now, has probably the most boring, generic and grindy quests as well, somehow it doesn't really take away form the sandbox part of the game. And what Trion has to do with how quests are made? They are not developing th egame. They just translate, publish and adjust for western audience (which usually means less P2W cash shop and higher loot rates/xp rewards because Wester audience has much lower grind tolerance than Asian)

A pure sandbox probably would have way harder time selling on Asian makets than an Asan grinder has on western so they needed to mix the styles a bit. 

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102

At the moment there are two types of reviews. We all know what they are. By fanboys and haters. We have to wait and see. There are gona be bata events. And it looks like NA and Russian launch goes in more or less  same time. 

Hope That AA can pull it of. MMO genre need something not to be a fail. And for me it got more potential then any other mmo in making.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What ever made you think it would be full loot?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Ezhae

YOGCAST

EVE, which is consideed being the best sandbox on the market right now, has probably the most boring, generic and grindy quests as well, somehow it doesn't really take away form the sandbox part of the game.

Partially true, only up to level 4s, at level 4 you need an expensive ship to run them, you need to know aggro/spawn triggers and since the Sleeper-esque AI has been put in the rats don't always act like they should so mission can get quite hairy especially when you get full aggro and they're starting to blow past your rep/boosters capability to nulify at which point you start going "oh shit oh shit" trying to pop either all the warp scramblers or to reduce the inbound DPS sufficiently. The expensive ship bit also adds in the fact that you need to watch your back so you don't get ganked for your shinies. At level 5 missions forget boredom, you're never gonna be bored doing em because you're doing them in lawless space in mostly camped systems.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by pmaura

I was hoping this would be a real sandbox game something akin to eve but in a fantast setting, but now I here its going to have the standard dead wow economy no player looting, no meaningful open world pvp just instnaces and your limited with your building, it almost sounds like its more like farmville 3.0

Personally I think for econmies to work that the lowest resource must still be used in the mighest tier crafting, this will always create demand for it.

Think you need to look at Age Of Wushu rather than ArcheAge for that Eve feeling. ArcheAge is a hybrid which is more themepark than sandbox but still a very good game. Age Of  Wushu is a hybrid as well but it leans a lot further to the sandbox side than themepark.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

YOGCAST

EVE, which is consideed being the best sandbox on the market right now, has probably the most boring, generic and grindy quests as well, somehow it doesn't really take away form the sandbox part of the game.

Partially true, only up to level 4s, at level 4 you need an expensive ship to run them, you need to know aggro/spawn triggers and since the Sleeper-esque AI has been put in the rats don't always act like they should so mission can get quite hairy especially when you get full aggro and they're starting to blow past your rep/boosters capability to nulify at which point you start going "oh shit oh shit" trying to pop either all the warp scramblers or to reduce the inbound DPS sufficiently. The expensive ship bit also adds in the fact that you need to watch your back so you don't get ganked for your shinies. At level 5 missions forget boredom, you're never gonna be bored doing em because you're doing them in lawless space in mostly camped systems.

Yeah, but when you do missions in lawless space the "fun" part is player interaction, not the structure of the mission itself, which usually is "kill stuff","kill more stuff", "kill that one guy", "pick stuff up". Difficulty aside, they are generic in construction and I doubt anyone playing EVE, even hardcore mission runner deny it. Thing is mission is not what makes EVE what it is and they exist purley as a filler and a grindy way to make some ISK. They don't interfere with the sandbox elements at all, simply provide options, and options are always good. 

YOGCAST

Yeah, but when you do missions in lawless space the "fun" part is player interaction, not the structure of the mission itself, which usually is "kill stuff","kill more stuff", "kill that one guy", "pick stuff up". Difficulty aside, they are generic in construction and I doubt anyone playing EVE, even hardcore mission runner deny it. Thing is mission is not what makes EVE what it is and they exist purley as a filler and a grindy way to make some ISK. They don't interfere with the sandbox elements at all, simply provide options, and options are always good. 

Well in EVE the basic 3 structures of "quest" hold up: kill quests, fetch quests (mining) and talk to x quest (usually while also hauling around some cargo) and the missions themselves while initially they did not take into account much player interaction nowadays kinda bank on them (in level 4s you get salvage ninjas that salvage wrecks but do not loot them for example, you also get sometimes people determined to kill you for your modules, one day I had to afk to go to the toilet in a empty mission pocket, when I got back I had a bunch of concord ships around me, a named wreck and my armour was chipped about 10% in, it took a bit of searching but I found out later someone thought I was afking in my expensive ship with modules off and they tried to get me with a alpha apocalypse... it didn't work out well especially cause my ship is atypically built for slowboating missions whereas other users of my ship swear by a speed tank which works just as well but if they're stationary when an ganking attempt happens they might not live to tell).

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by LachyFTW

It seems to me Arche Age is not even close to L2.

I am deeply disappointed by all of it's restrictions.