Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince me to play, or not.

sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

For people in the current beta only please. In a TL;DR approach, please convince me rather I should or should not preorder and play the beta(we do get beta access immediately with preorder correct?).

I'm definitely in the mood for something new while I take breaks from my regular programming job. Logged on to UO today but the game just isn't UO anymore. 

Also, try to stick to facts and/or only express how you personally feel. I don't care if you agree or disagree with someone else's opinion. The only thing that should be argued is misinformation in the form of facts.

For example. "Character creation sucks" should not be argued as it is an opinion. BUT someone saying "There are x amount of npcs in the game" when in fact there are y amount of npcs in the game can be corrected. Please convince me, if you have to argue why your opinion is valid you must not believe in it strongly.

I've been here a while...

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Terrible PvP based game promoting violence and conflict and nothing else.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I am sorry you will have to convince me to care about what you do first.
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Cryptor

If you need attention, or just someone to talk about your feeling with, pm me and I will help you. You cared enough to post in the thread about not caring, so you must be trying to meet some internal need.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

I'd suggest waiting until next week. We're recieving two massive patches this week which include a server wipe.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Would not waste your time.  It is far worse than the first game they put out.  Just remember they stated this game was originally ready for launch back on 11/20 and it is now March and they are just now putting in the last class.

Also do not let the fanboys play that up they are adding the primalist in so now all is good.  That mean they have all 4 classes in BUT only 2 out of the 4 schools.  his game will be launching with only half of each class finished which means there will be balancing issues galore for months to come.  Not to mention there is literally no fluff or content in the game at all - something again they did not learn from the first game.

Stay far far away.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by sacredcow4

If you need attention, or just someone to talk about your feeling with, pm me and I will help you. You cared enough to post in the thread about not caring, so you must be trying to meet some internal need.

Speaking of internal need...

Why do you need someone to convince you of anything? Make your own decisions. 

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Sadly, it seems you are the one begging for attention, with threads like "convince me!".

Most of us don't give a crap about you (sorry, but you're a stranger), so why should someone convince you? Are you some gaming god, so we should feel honored about you playing some game... or not?

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

Sadly, it seems you are the one begging for attention, with threads like "convince me!".

Most of us don't give a crap about you (sorry, but you're a stranger), so why should someone convince you? Are you some gaming god, so we should feel honored about you playing some game... or not?

Pretty much these are the reasons not to play the game.  You have to be around these people.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'm not actually in the beta and I never played DF or even watched a video of it. I am a Greek though, so I think you should play this.
  • OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Onodrim

I will tell you this much:

Check my new thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/thread/378695/Buyer-Beware-Think-twice-before-spending-money-on-this-game.html

Save your money, You are welcome.

Thanks! Sharing info like that poll will help me make a decision. I find it funny how so many people start threads about if someone SHOULD or should NOT play the game... but when I try to get a legitimate discussion on the two people attack me. Looking forward to more people like you posting that actually contribute to the thread!

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I'll try to convince you.

This game will be aim to shoot. There's a few games out there with aiming, but not many and not anything I'd call an MMO. If it's anything like DF it's fun to fight. I loved how the arrows felt and the magic too.

The boats were so much fun, they cost too much effort to make, but they were a blast. Fighting boat to boat was epic.

No boundaries, except the edge of the whole world. If you see something you can climb over it or swim through it. I hate canyons that lead you from this zone to the next appropriate zone.

In game community. In the forums it seems the game is full of jerks, but if you played you'll find lots of people that want to be friends. It's a fun and social world and even the person that kills you usually is pretty cool. You band together to build and for protection and for the Big battles that are a lot of fun.

I like this game because it's not about gear. If gear in a game like WoW is 100 on a scale gear in DF is like a 20, maybe less.

Even if this game is not what you want, even if it's rough and the character creation sucks it's the first game that has these things in the way I want. It's worth playing just to see these items that MMO's should have.

Asdar

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Aim to shot doesnt make a MMORPG.

The rich interaction possibilities with the environment in a persistant world is it.

Darkfall is shalow and has not much to offer in these regards.  The content and interaction in DFUW reminds all themepark and doesn't inspire anyone to be part of it .

The devs had a chance to going the sandbox route and develop agood game but they made all the wrong decissions.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Aim to shot doesnt make a MMORPG.The rich interaction possibilities with the environment in a persistant world is it.Darkfall is shalow and has not much to offer in these regards.  The content and interaction in DFUW reminds all themepark and doesn't inspire anyone to be part of it .The devs had a chance to going the sandbox route and develop agood game but they made all the wrong decissions.

Aim to shoot doesn't make an MMO, but it's a feature that I like. I enjoy the gameplay better with aim to shoot.

I haven't played DFUW, but Darkfall wasn't all that shallow. I wanted more and bigger things to do, but it's a game about building your world. Whether PvE or PvP sandbox is about building your own depth to the world.

I'm going to be shocked if DFUW is remotely like a theme park game. That seems totally counter to what I've seen and read. Just to be clear, a theme park game is where they take you for a ride on rails. Low level you fight here, then they give you a quest that takes you to an appropriate area for progression. They guide you, in other words. DF at least had nothing like that at all. I would have enjoyed some more quests and PvE at times.

Asdar

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

The rich interaction possibilities with the environment in a persistant world is it.

Darkfall is shalow and has not much to offer in these regards.  The content and interaction in DFUW reminds all themepark and doesn't inspire anyone to be part of it .

The devs had a chance to going the sandbox route and develop agood game but they made all the wrong decissions.

ye this basicly..

They fcked it up hard

But what most people don;t know here is. that av main goal is make an developers tools engine for gaming companies.. and not make a game itself..

This is just another test for them if they can add different games into their engine with lots of options and easy too implent..

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Terrible PvP based game promoting violence and conflict and nothing else.

WHAT?  wuut?  you either are a huge fan of HKO or.. i dont even know dude.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

the conflict is what makes this game so good,  your actions matter, the guy you just ganked will make a appearance again sooner or later since there is no channels no nothing.

Ive played darkfall for a long time and if seen loads of players getting a new copy of the game because they had put there character name to so much shame.

There is no other game where youre actions affect the game, community more then it does in darkfall atm

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Again spot on - yes the FPS aim is great...  Problem is there is no fluff or content you normally find in a MMO at all.  The only things to do are grind mobs for your stats or go PvP.  No fluff and again no content at all.  In fact in the few years they have worked on this game it is launching with probably 60-70% less content than the first game...

Pure disaster.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Darkfall is a game that you either love or hate. It is completely up to your personal preference and your decision shouldn't be based on what other people think.

Beta is beta though. There are frequent wipes and bugs. Not much of a point to play when you know your character might get wiped the next day.

You should preorder only if you are sure that this game is for you and that you are gonna play it when it releases. ( You also get a discount with the preorder so thats another plus)

Darkfall offers a unique set of features that you cannot find in any other game out there.

• Completely open world with no instances.
    • True action combat, with friendly fire, no tab target, no autoattack, no lock on spells...
    • FFA PvP. You dont like someone? Kill him, even if he is in the same clan as you. Unless ofc you are in a safe zone. :(
    • Full loot, everything you or other people carry is lootable.
    • Every single item you can wear is craftable.
    • You can change your role at will. Be a warrior at one moment then be a mage the next. You are not stuck with one class forever like in most mmorpgs.
    • You can progress your character how ever you like. You dont follow a predetermined path like in themepark games.
    • Build your own city, your own house, your own boat.
    • Clan warfare, sieges, naval combat, territory control, huge epic battles, political meta-game.

These are basically the features Darkfall has to offer. Dont know about you, but i cannot think of any other game that offers all the above combined. If you think this type of game is for you, then go ahead and preorder.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by gchris7

Darkfall is a game that you either love or hate. It is completely up to your personal preference and your decision shouldn't be based on what other people think.

Beta is beta though. There are frequent wipes and bugs. Not much of a point to play when you know your character might get wiped the next day.

You should preorder only if you are sure that this game is for you and that you are gonna play it when it releases. ( You also get a discount with the preorder so thats another plus)

Darkfall offers a unique set of features that you cannot find in any other game out there.

• Completely open world with no instances.
    • True action combat, with friendly fire, no tab target, no autoattack, no lock on spells...
    • FFA PvP. You dont like someone? Kill him, even if he is in the same clan as you. Unless ofc you are in a safe zone. :(
    • Full loot, everything you or other people carry is lootable.
    • Every single item you can wear is craftable.
    • You can change your role at will. Be a warrior at one moment then be a mage the next. You are not stuck with one class forever like in most mmorpgs.
    • You can progress your character how ever you like. You dont follow a predetermined path like in themepark games.
    • It is pretty straight forward. You have fixed roles/classes. Atm it is only 2 roles per class so nothing much to combine
    • Build your own city, your own house, your own boat.
    • I wouldn't call it "building". Everything is pre set and you cant really influence the looks of it. You basicly only farm materials and are allowed to add a pre-set structure to your city. If you dont like the layout or the structure your city offers your are fucked. Houses are also pre set and there are limited spots in the world. Adding stuff to your house depends how lucky your chaos chests drops are
    • Clan warfare, sieges, naval combat, territory control, huge epic battles, political meta-game.
    • naval combat is limited atm and only offers one ship with one canon. There is no real territory control. You can live out of player cities and naturally you will meet more members of a clan that lives in this area. But there are no benefits of controlling a certain area. Villages are a joke

These are basically the features Darkfall has to offer. Dont know about you, but i cannot think of any other game that offers all the above combined. If you think this type of game is for you, then go ahead and preorder.

Have to correct you.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

The game is shit keep away from it.

Maybe if it were launched in 2006 it would be "decent".

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75

While yes, this is a beta, the pace it is moving at is snail like. Game is in no state to be fun at this point and seems to need atleast 6 months more in beta even at a fast development pace. Your question is should you pre-order... the answer is: not if you expect to have much fun in the game. My advice is to wait until it is launched and see if they actually make anything of this mess. From my years of experience with Aventurine... my hunch is it will launch as a buggy, incomplete piece of crap. They have done nothing recently to convince me otherwise. Quite the contrary, I think they have sunk to an all time low as if they don't care how the game turns out at all.

P.S.. I loved original Darkfall and subbed until it shut down. This is not Darkfall and is not at all what they promised their long time customers.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Niburu
    Have to correct you.

You cant correct facts. :)

Yea obviously there are limits, its not minecraft, but the functionality is there. You do build and upgrade your house, you do build and upgrade your city and it can be destroyed or taken over.

Also, come on now, yea the roles and boats are not all in yet but they will be at some point and you know it. Might take a while since this is AV we are talking about, but yea...

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

darkfall 1.0 was already shit concerning sandbox elements..

Currently unholy wars has nothing to do with a sandbox

Website is telling you all bullcrap..

hardcore PVP --> right

UO remake --> right

1.0 was the most competitve game i ever played.. this uw has nothing to do with darkfall..

Av took their final statement to their community... fck off we don't want you here

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

lol thanks for the chuckle

This discussion has been closed.