Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG theory

iixviiiixiixviiiix GSMember Posts: 1,189 Uncommon

I play tera and what with "action" in it ?

I feel like a lie when monster mage [fire ball] chase after me , no matter how i dodge , it still hit.

I reality that there are no true action combat in that kind of mmo called next-gen.

I bring out some idea about action combat concepts.

My theory is true action combat only exit in 2D game

for example

|___|Ally|___|    [or]    |___|Mob|___|   Skill   |___|Mob|___|  or healer |Heal|_____|heal|

|Ally|Mob|Ally|             |Mob|You|Mob|            |_skill effect__|                |____|Priest|___|

|___|you|___|             |___|Mob|___|            |___|you|___|                |Heal|_____|heal|

And for the boss fight

|boss|Boss_|boss|

|____|tank_|____|

|____|Mage|____|

So what called Action now is thing that give an action feeling , but in it code , there are no action.

A type of game that bring out most element of RPG for MMO is old style like game make by RPGmaker.

Why ?

Because there are more way for developer hide they secrets or set trap in dungeon.

This's kind of game where you run in field , step in some normal rock and get drop to unknown dungeon

|Tree|Tree_|____|

|Tree|Stone|You_|

|Tree|____|_____|

"Step in that stone with heavy weight luggage and you will be first one that find out secrets dungeon"

Or in abandoned house , below old bed , you could find some dealy trap or old diary content (depent on your luck stat , lower than 100 , you dead by trap , higher than 200 , you get diary with secret and from 101-199 , you get nothing)

What make MMORPG interest's it adventure sprite , not mob gring or quests hunt , it a joy of first one find out what hiden.

In my point of view , MMORPG is a world , not book where everything ready wrote.

There are no map/mini map , you find what hided and chose to keep it your self or let everyone know about it.

NPC not give quest , but give infomation.

for example

You got 10 rabbit skin , and if you lvl lower than 5 , a kind NPC will give to a chose to change 10 skin to good newbie armor.

The noble normaly look down on you , but when your fame higher than him , he will tell you his family story , ask if you could find him a sword of his ancestor that some boss keep.

Idea world of MMO's

Monster so strong that you can't solo it if you don't have party (or have double higher level but you can't get much exp when you double level them) , more strong monster , more exp gain. Some time, you have  bring 100 people just to hunt 1 monster.

Item craft more like puzzle, mini game.

You craftman need Rhythms like dancing game to have bad , normal , good , unique weapon.

Alchemist need time and logic and test to craft legend hiden potion with recipes only know by you.

I wasn't good with write , my idea's mess. But it feel good when write it out.

I can't make this idea come true. But some day , i hope a game like this came out.

Some time keep a idea you know that you can't make it true is worst than write it out to other , who know , maybe someone will need it *lol*.

Comments

• TalinguardTalinguard Winchester, VAMember Posts: 676 Common
    Originally posted by iixviiiix
    I play tera and what with "action" in it ? I feel like a lie when monster mage [fire ball] chase after me , no matter how i dodge , it still hit.

That is a tough read, so I'm just going to address this part....

The reason that it's like this has to do with the massive nature of MMORPG's.  It's the reason that FPS games are limited to less then 100 people at a time in a single instance.

The server must coordinate every characters position and calculate collisions   This is done at the moment an action (like shooting an arrow) takes place.  It doesnot continue to calculate collisions once the animation for the action begins.  If you were in LOS when the action was taken then the animation is carried out and hit's regardless of what you see on your client.  No matter what you hide behind.  It's not a glitch, or a bug, it's that the animations take time toplay out,but the reality is that the server has already decided you've been hit.

There are a few games that reply on aiming, I think Darkfall comes to mind, but to be honest, I'm not familiar with how it calculates and tracks hits, but it's nore of the skill based game you're looking for. If I had to guess, when you fire an action that requires aiming, the server checks to see if you were on target when you fired the action.  From that point it's the same as other games, that is, there will be cases where people willsee arrows and such traveling though objects., but again, to be honest, this is an educated guess on my part.

The point is, if you try to calculate collisions from shooter to target for all players all the time the amount of information calculated and relayed to all the clients increases exponentially.  In mass battle with 100, 200 or more players the server would bog down and everyone would lag horribly.

Presentation for new MMORPG economics concept http://www.slideshare.net/talin/mmo-economics-concept-v-10

• ironoreironore Utah, UTMember Posts: 957 Common
    Originally posted by iixviiiix
    In my point of view , MMORPG is a world , not book where everything ready wrote. There are no map/mini map , you find what hided and chose to keep it your self or let everyone know about it. NPC not give quest , but give infomation.

This is the point I would address because this is precisely what we never see in MMORPGs.  Why do we continue to build all this content instead of just building a world and seeing what happens.  Why are we still being led around by the nose as I talked about in this post:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/133648

Technology is constantly increasing, speed, bandwidth, and all that, but we just max out the graphics and create the same game over and over.  I would like to see some lower quality graphics and some more experimental design in mmorpgs since it is not cost effective to develop an experimental game fully (or at least no one is willing to take the risk).

IronOre - Forging the Future