Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

building first computer

LadyMTOFLadyMTOF concord, VAPosts: 2Member

I'm new to this and i've picked out most all the parts just not positive on compatibility. 

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

G.SKILL Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-16GNT

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Columbus, OHPosts: 1,305Member Uncommon

Links make reviewing your build easier.  It looks like a globe icon with a chain in front of it in the text editor on this site.

If you're concerned about compatibility, the basic thing to check for is if the parts will work in the motherboard.  If not, pick a new motherboard or pick a new part.  It looks like you are good on compatibility.  The next thing to check is if your video card will fit in your case.  Some cases are not long enough for video cards, which keep getting bigger.  My last case, I had to position my hard drives in the right bays just so they didnt interfere with the video card.  The final thing to check is if your power supply has enough wattage and enough connectors to handle everything in the case.

Other advice I would give is to use DDR3 1866 memory.  Quizzical would know more details about the acutal performance gains, but I would try to use the best memory your motherboard supports.

I am not a fan of SLI or crossfire.  Many games do not support it.  Some games run worse, or not at all with it on.  One video card is typically good enough for great framerates and great detail settings.

• ZandilZandil templestowePosts: 234Member Uncommon

If you want it to be fast make sure it's RED and has lots of cool flashing lights that don't do anything.

I run a crossfire setup and love it but as the 2nd post states can be a hassle if you don't like mucking around with lots of settings inside the games and in the driver programs like CCC.

Stay away from SLI/Crosfire if this is your fist build

• miguksarammiguksaram Fort Meade, MDPosts: 826Member Uncommon
    Pretty much zero reason to pick up Nvidia GTX 650 Ti's in SLI when you could (for the same amount of money) pick up an AMD 7950.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by miguksaram
    Pretty much zero reason to pick up Nvidia GTX 650 Ti's in SLI when you could (for the same amount of money) pick up an AMD 7950.

My 1st thought exactly.

That looks like something Ibuypower would do. Did you just pick a PC off of a site like that and post the parts? No worries if you did =) just wondering

DO NOT buy two 650s and SLI. If you must go nvidia get a single 670 and call it a day, or a 7950 which would be my choice.

Also there is no PSU listed

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,779Member Uncommon

The only reason to go with SLI or CrossFire is if a single high end card isn't good enough for you.  In that case, the solution is to get two high end cards in SLI or CrossFire.  The GeForce GTX 650 Ti isn't exactly a high end card.  It's not bad if you're looking to spend $140 on the video card, but two of them in SLI makes no sense at all.

Get one higher end video card instead and you can also save a lot on the motherboard by going with one with an AMD 970 chipset.

• LadyMTOFLadyMTOF concord, VAPosts: 2Member
    I did. I wasn't sure how to post it. I was taking advice from a family member on how to build and what to use. So I've been searching newegg and amazon for parts and price comparison reading lots of feedback on the parts but the feedback is very back and forth. So I sought out other guidance on it.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by LadyMTOF
    I did. I wasn't sure how to post it. I was taking advice from a family member on how to build and what to use. So I've been searching newegg and amazon for parts and price comparison reading lots of feedback on the parts but the feedback is very back and forth. So I sought out other guidance on it.

By " I did" I assume you picked parts from a company like Ibuypower.

An easier thing to do on this forum would be to post your budget, what you want out of your PC mainly. Gaming, Editing, design, media center, ect. and let folks help you pick parts off newegg, amazon, ect.

Oh and take the feedback with a grain of salt on those sites. Alot of user error as to why stuff didnt work for them. If they are all bad then thats another story.

Every now and then people will get something DOA and have to RMA it, it does happen.  But thats just how it goes