Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rift: Hal Hanlin Departs for Zynga

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,659MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Trion Worlds' Hal Hanlin has, according to his Facebook page, left Trion Worlds and is now the Lead Producer at social games giant, Zynga. Hanlin had worked for Trion Worlds since 2008.

Thanks to Coolit for the tip!

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,058Member Uncommon
    First Scott and now Hal, something tells me Trion is not doing well and this doesn't bode well for ArchAge.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi LONDONPosts: 661Member Uncommon
    I think Rift reached it's peak and from now on its full downhill... sad.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member
    Any day now... waiting on the Rift F2P announcement.

• PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    with so many talented people who have already left Zynga, I'm surprised they can attract any kind of talent. Maybe it's with so many openings at Zynga, there's short term money to be made. Seriously, Zynga may be the worst managed company in the US. I follow them on Stock Twits daily to see the latest disasters occur daily. 
  • LuxatriaLuxatria St. Louis, MOPosts: 25Member
    I don't think these guys leaving Trion will reflect upon other games. They were there for Rift.. so if anything it's Rift that isn't doing so well these days.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    As Trion moves from production to publishing, it makes sense that Dev talent would swim to warmer waters.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,377MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    Hal is one of the nicest and funniest people I've met in my MMO work over the years. Very sad to hear he's left Trion.
  • FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR New York, NYPosts: 166Member
    Logged into the game on saturday to see if it felt worth trying out the Storm Legion expansion. Every server I had charcters on were ghost towns. I'm thinking that the expansion didn't go over as well as hoped and this is just fall out from that. Its also possible that Trion is shifting its focus to Defiance and Aion so there isn't much for the Rift crew to do.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,063Member Uncommon

Themepark P2P MMO is thing of past. Nobody can not pull it anymore.

Trion really did wonders and is probably best MMO company aside from Turbine - but the shit simply can not fly...

ps

Want proof ? Just log into SWTOR , i bet their population quadrupaled at least - and most of players I talked with are subscripbers too.

• SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    I just hope that Trion is doing well. They seemed to work with real passion when I played Rift.
  • FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR New York, NYPosts: 166Member
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Trion really did wonders and is probably best MMO company aside from Turbine - but the shit simply can not fly...

ps

Want proof ? Just log into SWTOR , i bet their population quadrupaled at least - and most of players I talked with are subscripbers too.

Wait what? So people being subscribers in a Themepark MMO is proof that the P2P MMO is a thing of the past?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• ScivaSciva NonePosts: 299Member Uncommon
    Mind bogling as to why you would go from working for a company like Trion then someone with a reputation like Zynga.
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

log into SWTOR , i bet their population quadrupaled at least - and most of players I talked with are subscribers too.

offtopic but commmenting anyhow

if SWTOR subs are on the rise -- it was not discussed in the recent financials

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-posts-45-million-net-loss-in-q3-reduces-revenue-forecast/

i did not see SWTOR mentioned at all

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2297885214x0x631760/1b17f86a-b47b-44bc-aeb5-8efd05713573/Q3FY13_Earnings_Release_FINAL.pdf

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon
    I could sort of understand Scott moving on.  He seems like an idea guy and a framework setter.  Hal seems like a really nice guy and a great influence at Trion.  I think Zynga is getting a great asset with this guy.  I wish him luck and I hope he brings a fresh perspective to social gaming.  It would be cool to see that platform move to the next level.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Des Moines, IAPosts: 329Member Common
    Originally posted by Nadia

log into SWTOR , i bet their population quadrupaled at least - and most of players I talked with are subscribers too.

offtopic but commmenting anyhow

if SWTOR subs are on the rise -- it was not discussed in the recent financials

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-posts-45-million-net-loss-in-q3-reduces-revenue-forecast/

i did not see SWTOR mentioned at all

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2297885214x0x631760/1b17f86a-b47b-44bc-aeb5-8efd05713573/Q3FY13_Earnings_Release_FINAL.pdf

It's because it's not true. It's just another opinion thrown around on this site stated as fact.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I could sort of understand Scott moving on.  He seems like an idea guy and a framework setter.  Hal seems like a really nice guy and a great influence at Trion.  I think Zynga is getting a great asset with this guy.  I wish him luck and I hope he brings a fresh perspective to social gaming.  It would be cool to see that platform move to the next level.

i take it as a sign that SL will be their last expansion for a while.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,927Member Uncommon

EH I have a feeling a lot of this moving is mostly due to the fact Trion is probably not fixating on making games as much. They are launching quite a few games now, of which a couple they have made themselves. There is a good probability that they are less focused upon creating new games and are more so in a less active production cycle. With a focus seeming to be on acting as a publisher more recently with games like archage, I have a feeling they are toning down game development and focusing more on adding content to running games.

I still believe they might have projects in the pipeline, just I suspect its likely just 1 project instead of multiple projects. 

• VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,212Member Uncommon

Looks like on the official forums they again deleted threads in which the players discussed the many writings on the wall and voiced their concerns about Rift's future.

• VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,212Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Wasn't there a hint towards another expansion to come around Rift's 3yr mark in a recent video?

I haven't seen it myself, but people talked about it on the forums.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Wasn't there a hint towards another expansion to come around Rift's 3yr mark in a recent video?

I haven't seen it myself, but people talked about it on the forums.

Someone mentioned that in a thread post on their forums, but it's pretty vague.  Rumors about events going on a year from now don't mean much to me.

I do feel like the update pace has slowed and what has been released after SL was just content held back for the sole purpose of pacing.

Looking back over the last year and a half before SL the content release wasn't as great as their marketing machine made out.  It all equated to Ember Isle (which was neat), a few small instanced raids, and a whole slew of bug fixes, balance changes, and some recycleable event content.  For all that bluster about gaming as a service and a live world ever evolving, it was disappointing to a degree.

They did have a really cool class and role system though.  Fulfilling multiple roles on my rogue, mage, and cleric was a lot of fun. Lot's of other stuff ended up not being so fun in the long run especially with raiding dominating community dynamics, class balance changes, and game focus.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon

Rift's game focus is wow's vertical progression raid system. The original intent was aimed at disenchanted wow players  - amongst others.

But it appears that many people saw this game as just a raid progression wow clone that was ok until something different came along.

With GW2 plus other ftp conversions it kind of got drowned out despite the major amount of work that went into Storm Legion.

Where it goes from here I'm not sure. Ftp seems to be the flavour of the month with only wow having a robust enough player base to continue with the standard ptp model.

• doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member

ps

P2P themepark model isnt dead....P2P for half assed WoW clones model is though....

• tiddytiddy londonPosts: 23Member

Nope. it saw a small upsurge in its playerbase after it went F2P but that didnt last long.....SWTOR is now going the way of WAR.

P2P Rift is a quality MMO. It has a very healthy, large population and a big fanbase. Which is a lot more than I can say for F2P/P2P SWTOR.

• tiddytiddy londonPosts: 23Member
    edit...
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tiddy

Nope. it saw a small upsurge in its playerbase after it went F2P but that didnt last long.....SWTOR is now going the way of WAR.

P2P Rift is a quality MMO. It has a very healthy, large population and a big fanbase. Which is a lot more than I can say for F2P/P2P SWTOR.

Really? I am logged in SWTOR every day and I asure you that the surge is still on. Starting planets are full of players every day, multiple instances no matter if it's a weekday or weekend. Is it not a sign that players are coming to game? If starting zones would be empty - that's a different story.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E