Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Hal Hanlin Departs for Zynga

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Any day now... waiting on the Rift F2P announcement.

I'm surprised it hasn't come already but they did much better than I ever anticipated a total WoW clone doing.....You guys are right though two top people leaving like this is often a sign of big trouble and they are abandoning ship.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Volgore

Looks like on the official forums they again deleted threads in which the players discussed the many writings on the wall and voiced their concerns about Rift's future.

Last I saw they had a 10+ page thread about this, they probably just deleted the duplicates.  they seem to let more stuff fly than most.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by tiddy
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Want proof ? Just log into SWTOR , i bet their population quadrupaled at least - and most of players I talked with are subscripbers too.

Nope. it saw a small upsurge in its playerbase after it went F2P but that didnt last long.....SWTOR is now going the way of WAR.

P2P Rift is a quality MMO. It has a very healthy, large population and a big fanbase. Which is a lot more than I can say for F2P/P2P SWTOR.

SWTOR probably has the bigger population still.

Its not like Rift is some high population game, they were just smart enough to consolidate their servers so it looks busier than it is.  

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Any day now... waiting on the Rift F2P announcement.

I'm surprised it hasn't come already but they did much better than I ever anticipated a total WoW clone doing.....You guys are right though two top people leaving like this is often a sign of big trouble and they are abandoning ship.

I guess they are still trying to figure out how to dodge the massive sh*t storm that'll hit them once they announce F2P.

You know, another "Trial Servers", respectively "we never closed servers! we opened servers for a soon to come a huge promotion" stunt.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

All this talk of Rift going F2P makes me laugh. Trion has said numerous times that rift will go F2P as soon as its drastically losing money. I played the release of SL and saw a HUGE surge of new and returning players. I tell a lot of old WoW players that if they want the closest thing to BC, Vanilla, and early LK to go try Rift. 

Just because 2 people leave doesnt mean "OMG RIFT IS DYING TROLOLOL". While atm I dont play rift I talk to numerous guildies who do and they say its very much alive on Deepwood. The P2P model isnt dead. Half assed wow clones are. Which RIFT was in the beginning but has slowly added a lot of features that make it stand out to wow. Chronicles, artifacts, world events, steady stream of updates, cross faction guilds and groups (on pve servers), dedicated team, and more. Rift future is very bright.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Sciva
    Mind bogling as to why you would go from working for a company like Trion then someone with a reputation like Zynga.

My thoughts exactly.  I am betting Zynga made him a crazy offer to come help fix their company.  This is the only thing that comes to mind.  Hal has a great reputation, and a proven record I can't see him moving on just a whim.

At any rate with all the work Trion has coming up, and the titles they are involved with I do not see them being in any type of trouble.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.