Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes: Why It's Closing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week's announcement that Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes came as a shock to some. We managed to catch up to Producer James Casey to find out more about the reasons behind the closure. See what he had to say before heading to the comments to discuss the interview.

MMORPG: It seems like it was just yesterday when we saw Wrath of Heroes unveiled at PAX Prime. Why the sudden announcement of the closure?

James Casey: It boils down to us having to make a hard decision about the project in light of our changing direction as a studio.  Over the last year as we've had a chance to expand and experiment with Wrath of Heroes, we began a pivot to mobile as a studio.  With this shift we looked at our resources, our plans, and our projects to achieve our transitions.  As a result, we had to make the decision to retire Wrath of Heroes as a project while in Open Beta rather than push it forward.  As I noted in the producer letter, Wrath of Heroes was a grand experiment and it had some very hardcore followers.  It has a strong IP, a great community, and what I think is some outstanding three-way action in that space. But the studio is moving into new spaces and we had to make the hard call to close Wrath of Heroes.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes - Why It's Closing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Now dont get me wrong- but im pretty sure- even if it didnt have the name *warhammer* it would have closed down. I dont have to tell you guys why- and im pretty sure this article is a waste of space!
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Nice of him to completely dodge all the the questions on anything to do with WAR. Looks like it's still going nowhere and they are focusing on a platform their audience doesn't really care about.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    all this tells me is UO WAR and DAOC will be on there way out the door soon as well to push for their fun mobile games no one will waste money on. I hate to be negative but anyone who works for EA deserves to get what they deserve in the end.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    No one cares why it's closing... Which is why it's closing. ;-)

Joined - July 2004

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Interviewers need to ask more precise questions.  Not, why did you close it, why did it suck, and why didn't you fix it?
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    too funny i posted this link on the official warhammer online forums and the topic just got locked by the moderation over there lol.  What a smuck company and over zealous forum troll moderators over there .
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Yeah sure, experiment. What do they take us for, idiots? What a waste of time.
  • ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

It's sad to see this game close. I really liked this game, despite some of it's flaws, but it was clear from the start that the company behind it just wanted to grab as much cash as they could. They kept "rebalancing" the cash shop prices, they never added a decent clan/team system, and they never even created an official forum for the game, instead the players had to create one.  That's shameful.

Too bad, the game was actually really fun.

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27

One of the true reasons the game could not catch on with audiences is simpler than anyone would have you believe:  As the game started to grow in numbers, a group of hardcore players (Cult) were online 12+ hours a day stomping all of the pickup groups that new players were routinely queued into.  There was no separate queue for premades, so all new players were repeatedly stomped by veteran premade groups.  The new players would then inevitably quit, reducing the population, and new players would come in and get matched up against the Cult premade as well.  I remember days where I would play 5 or 6 games in a row against them.

The devs never addressed this problem with the simple solution of adding a random queue with premades disallowed, despite repeated outcry from many in the community. You simply cannot afford to not listen to your fanbase if you expect your game to thrive.

Moo

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by raww

One of the true reasons the game could not catch on with audiences is simpler than anyone would have you believe:  As the game started to grow in numbers, a group of hardcore players (Cult) were online 12+ hours a day stomping all of the pickup groups that new players were routinely queued into.  There was no separate queue for premades, so all new players were repeatedly stomped by veteran premade groups.  The new players would then inevitably quit, reducing the population, and new players would come in and get matched up against the Cult premade as well.  I remember days where I would play 5 or 6 games in a row against them.

The devs never addressed this problem with the simple solution of adding a random queue with premades disallowed, despite repeated outcry from many in the community. You simply cannot afford to not listen to your fanbase if you expect your game to thrive.

Yea, that was also a big issue with the game. The devs implemented some sort of matchmaking but it didn't really work very well.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

WAR itself was a failure, this little "test" was just an attempt at something they know nothing about. Their system, features, costs and overall theme were so flawed that it would not succeed with anyhing but an insanely small and niche audience. Something that maybe a little indie team could keep going, but doesn't look good at a presentation at a large company.

Not shocked at all and obviously this guy isn't going to be frank or earnest ni his replies, they are still trying to sell their upcoming "mobile" titles. You can't tell people you're a gross failure with the left hand and then hope they invest in your products from the right hand.

PS - Everyone with a brain knew WAR was dead in beta after the huge nerfs, cutting the other capitol cities and watching the PvE gameplay devolve into the mess they released.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

ahhh WOH--

Ill miss my 'Archivist.'..to this day i still use that awsome name on my other mmo characters.!

Mythic you guys are awsome!-Dont give up!-Your time will come! thanks for givin us a great game!

Warhammer online still the best fantasy mmo!

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55

I love how "failure" turned into "experiment" this game, this whole cycles was a rushed mess of compromises, cuts and lack of risk taking that lead to huge mistakes despite a ton of potential.

For many mmo's today the word seems to be "bite off more then we can chew" or "promise the world and give them dirt instead"

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

James Casey: I just want to say thank you to everyone that tried Wrath of Heroes over any part of our Beta processes.  Whether the game was for you or not, your participation in the game was immensely helpful to us.  I hope that all the fans and those that have played the game, even if they lapsed, get a chance to jump in, buy some cheap heroes and experience all the new stuff we slam in before we have to shut it down at the end of March.  Once again, and I can't repeat this enough, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support.

I am the only one who was specting anything else but... that?...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Wait... what?

It was selling stuff in it's shop in beta? And worse; "We also went through and put all items on the store at dramatically marked down prices."

They are *still* trying to sell stuff, even after the close down annonucement?

*edit* I see later he states to label the open beta (which for some reason limited their audience..?) was more of a 'soft launch' apparently... Boy, this guy is slippery lol. Just open your store for free already Mythic, the game is dead man walking and it just looks like you are trying to get some last minute necrophilia in before it goes into the ground.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Yet another game EA has destroyed. There are not many games out there that EA has been behind that are on my top 10 let alone top 50 list as of late. It comes as no surprise to this gamer of this titles demise. I use to be a HUGE Bioware fan, but since EA I see that company failing. I did have high hopes for WAR and played it until the population dwindled. R I P anything EA touches R I P.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Tried to be like everyone else instead of being them self.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    More efforts should have been spent fixing Warhammer Online.
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Well, wow. Mythic really shifts into mobile games industry.

Originally posted by Xepo
    Yet another game EA has destroyed. There are not many games out there that EA has been behind that are on my top 10 let alone top 50 list as of late. It comes as no surprise to this gamer of this titles demise. I use to be a HUGE Bioware fan, but since EA I see that company failing. I did have high hopes for WAR and played it until the population dwindled. R I P anything EA touches R I P.

Word. Though Wrath of Heroes obviously was one more "milking" experiment by EA its even more sad that Mythic gets pushed towards mobile games industry.

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Glad I didnt throw any money into this game..
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Torkaz

game was live for years.. what would it really matter if you threw in money and enjoyed your time playing? does a game need to be available for 30 years to make it worth putting money into?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    why it's closing...were there really people heart broken about this game shutting down?
  • mattnatemattnate Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Kind of glad Mark Jacobs jumped ship awhile ago, can't wait for CU. WOH was fun but as someone already stated, premades were rediculous and it definately did not have longevity.
  • Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Torkaz

game was live for years.. what would it really matter if you threw in money and enjoyed your time playing? does a game need to be available for 30 years to make it worth putting money into?

It entered open Beta less than a year ago, and that they feel the need to say in an interview about the game closing that theyve lowered cash shop prices speaks for itself...

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by remyburke
    No one cares why it's closing... Which is why it's closing. ;-)

Bump.  You can't beat these folks with a stick in the head while you yell, "how could you ignore so much from Dark Age of Camelot and think you were going to float?"

I feel sorry for the people who needed the resume' builder and work at whatever is really running warhammer these days.  I hope thye get a chance to get out.