Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Penalty

barndoorbarndoor Member Posts: 4
Is there any death penalty on this game on hardcore? Or do I just amazingly resurrect with all my experience, skills and gear?

Comments

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60

When you die on hardcore that character is  no longer allowed in the hardcore league, but your character can still play on the default league. When you die in the default league(softcore) you lose 7.5% of your experience towards the next level on cruel difficutly and 15% of you experience toward next level on merciless difficulty.

Overall the death penalties are pretty harsh all around although you never lose your gear.  They do plan to add custom leagues that will allow open pvp and full loot as well as being hardcore.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    They ever fix the Melee hit box issues?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Unfortunately there is still the desync issue which im assuming is being worked on to be resolved where your character's on screen position isnt exactly where your character is located in reality, personally my #1 issue with this game :(

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Meriik
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Unfortunately there is still the desync issue which im assuming is being worked on to be resolved where your character's on screen position isnt exactly where your character is located in reality, personally my #1 issue with this game :(

Your connection to their server's could have alot to do with possible dsync.Myself (playing in midwest U.S.) have only had a dsync once since a week before open beta.I've also watched many top player's on Twitch and they don't have dsync nearly as much as people let on.The guy's I've watched have died to mistake's and playing map's that resulted in a situation they didn't expect.

I'm not saying dsync doesn't exist,just that it seem's many people are using it as an excuse,instead of the strong possibilty they made a mistake.I've also never had a melee hit box issue.

The game isn't perfect and never will be as far as dsync,GGG has even said this.You just can't remove it 100%,to many connection variables.It's absolutely playable and very good though.

What's funny to me,is the fact I actually have more lag spike's ect. playing D3 than PoE.More prob's with a game that sold 12 mill so far,that's sad.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• RedrumerRedrumer Member UncommonPosts: 13

How do you mess up something as easy as hardcore?

You die! You've lost... the friends you can play with? Dieing in hardcore shouldn't make me feel like a cheater. How hard is it to delete me stuff when I die, why make me do it myself?

I want to like Path of Exile, but I just never have any fun when I'm playing it.

Originally posted by Redrumer

You die! You've lost... the friends you can play with? Dieing in hardcore shouldn't make me feel like a cheater. How hard is it to delete me stuff when I die, why make me do it myself?

I want to like Path of Exile, but I just never have any fun when I'm playing it.

If you're truly hardcore than delete yourself,what's the problem?At the minimal they give you a choice,you know,like die in hc and then play default if you want.It's a choice.

It's pretty simple to me,if you die in hc than delete your character,what's the problem?Does the fact they give an option confuse people?I don't get it.I guess it's hard to make choice's for one's own action's?

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Slappy1

If you're truly hardcore than delete yourself,what's the problem?At the minimal they give you a choice,you know,like die in hc and then play default if you want.It's a choice.

It's pretty simple to me,if you die in hc than delete your character,what's the problem?Does the fact they give an option confuse people?I don't get it.I guess it's hard to make choice's for one's own action's?

The reason I play hardcore is to feel the stress when I am about to die. It feels really good to get close to death and live.

It also feels really bad to die, but at the same time, that awful feeling is why I play it. I want a hardcore mode to make me feel awful when I fail.

When a hardcore is about to die in PoE I feel the stress I want, when I live it's fine.

But when a hardcore dies in PoE there (when I last played it) is no visible difference from a softcore toon's death. I come back to life like nothing happened. All the stress I built up has no where to go. No really good feelings, no really bad feelings. So instead I feel like the game cheated me out of feels I wanted, and also that I cheated the game because I can keep playing it if I want to.

The problem is I picked a mode where I didn't want that choice. I picked a mode where I want to die and not rez. Giving me the chance to go back on that choice is IMO bad design.

The reason I play hardcore is to feel the stress when I am about to die. It feels really good to get close to death and live.

It also feels really bad to die, but at the same time, that awful feeling is why I play it. I want a hardcore mode to make me feel awful when I fail.

When a hardcore is about to die in PoE I feel the stress I want, when I live it's fine.

But when a hardcore dies in PoE there (when I last played it) is no visible difference from a softcore toon's death. I come back to life like nothing happened. All the stress I built up has no where to go. No really good feelings, no really bad feelings. So instead I feel like the game cheated me out of feels I wanted, and also that I cheated the game because I can keep playing it if I want to.

The problem is I picked a mode where I didn't want that choice. I picked a mode where I want to die and not rez. Giving me the chance to go back on that choice is IMO bad design.

I see where you're coming from.The thing is you say they're giving you a chance to go back and play and that's bad.Thing is,if you make another hc character you can't take advantage of what you lost on the dead hc character.You lost that.

What I'm seeing here is that because D3 does it a certain way,that's the only way!That way of thinking is what pull's other game's down.People getting stuck in a rut (certain way of thinking) tend to carry that into other game's.In this instance I'll take PoE over D3 all day long.PoE is less forgiving overall and I love that about the game.Having a char in default after a hc death mean's you are still dead in hc.Dead in hc is dead,doesn't matter the life you have in default.That's just a cushion to keep peep's from crying about everything is lost.

Arya Stark

I see where you're coming from.The thing is you say they're giving you a chance to go back and play and that's bad.Thing is,if you make another hc character you can't take advantage of what you lost on the dead hc character.You lost that.

What I'm seeing here is that because D3 does it a certain way,that's the only way!That way of thinking is what pull's other game's down.People getting stuck in a rut (certain way of thinking) tend to carry that into other game's.In this instance I'll take PoE over D3 all day long.PoE is less forgiving overall and I love that about the game.Having a char in default after a hc death mean's you are still dead in hc.Dead in hc is dead,doesn't matter the life you have in default.That's just a cushion to keep peep's from crying about everything is lost.

Every arpg I've ever played has done hardcore the same way. I like that PoE has tried to innovate. I feel that what they've come up with is not better. To me, it is much worse. You like that PoE is less forgiving, but then tell me they gave me a cushion. I'd rather have a brused ass.

Dead isn't dead if I'm still alive.

Every arpg I've ever played has done hardcore the same way. I like that PoE has tried to innovate. I feel that what they've come up with is not better. To me, it is much worse. You like that PoE is less forgiving, but then tell me they gave me a cushion. I'd rather have a brused ass.

You're dead in hc aren't you?yeah that's what I thought.Being unwilling to adapt isn't an excuse.

Arya Stark

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Hardcore players don't keep playing when their character dies. People who want to try hardcore do. If your a hardcore player, the character may as well not exist once it is dead as you belong in the hardcore league.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I think it is a decent compromise.   Players that want to do the hardcore only thing can just delete their toon and start again.  The other players that are more attached to their toon can continue in the default league.  

• barndoorbarndoor Member Posts: 4

Well, I had a quick try of this game on hardcore yesterday. I got to level 4 before I died. Then I just hit the "Resurrect" button and I was back in a safe place at the LionEye Watch with all my equipment and seemingly no penalty. I don't want this. When I die on hardcore it's pretty simple - I am dead. Perhaps if I was in a party at the time I could be healed there and then, in the instance. But other than that I should be dead.

Creating a new character in this game is really quick. There's no options. Just choose class and go. It's not like hours are wasted. 

As for the person who suggested it's up to me to kill off my character - I think you are missing a point here. I don't want the choice and I don't want anyone else to have it. The second other player I came across in my quick try yesterday was Level 56. I don't want to see this.

I want the thrill of knowing that I have to be careful and use my skills to thier best. I can't just charge in like Rambo.

I guess this game has some nice touches but it's not for me. I am looking for role-playing and not one person on either of the difficulty setting I was playing over the weekend was doing this as far as I know. This is just another grind your character up to superhero powers and play in a community of high level superhero's thing.

I'll look for another game where staying alive actually matters and some people want to role play not just gain super powers as quick as possible.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by barndoor

Well, I had a quick try of this game on hardcore yesterday. I got to level 4 before I died. Then I just hit the "Resurrect" button and I was back in a safe place at the LionEye Watch with all my equipment and seemingly no penalty. I don't want this. When I die on hardcore it's pretty simple - I am dead. Perhaps if I was in a party at the time I could be healed there and then, in the instance. But other than that I should be dead.

Creating a new character in this game is really quick. There's no options. Just choose class and go. It's not like hours are wasted. 

As for the person who suggested it's up to me to kill off my character - I think you are missing a point here. I don't want the choice and I don't want anyone else to have it. The second other player I came across in my quick try yesterday was Level 56. I don't want to see this.

I want the thrill of knowing that I have to be careful and use my skills to thier best. I can't just charge in like Rambo.

I guess this game has some nice touches but it's not for me. I am looking for role-playing and not one person on either of the difficulty setting I was playing over the weekend was doing this as far as I know. This is just another grind your character up to superhero powers and play in a community of high level superhero's thing.

I'll look for another game where staying alive actually matters and some people want to role play not just gain super powers as quick as possible.

If you stopped for one second to have a look at things you would notice that your character is no longer on the hardcore league and that anything you had in your hardcore stash is no longer accessible.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

What?

If you die in HC thats ti your character can never play in HC again... so you die you die no more HC for that character. IF you want to play HC you have to start again with a different character.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

If your a true hardcore player, you wont continue in default anyways. So i dont see what your crying about. Who cares if some noob tries out hardcore first, dies and continues in default? 

Ive died a few times on lvl 75-85 chars on hardcore and those chars are completly dead to me. If you dont feel "stressed" when about to die on hardcore because you can continue on default, well then your just not a real hardcore player and should go play in scrubcore with the rest of the noobs. also your saying the game sucks so why do you even care at ALL? 

Currently Playing Path of Exile