Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE going console only!(At first)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

This strikes me as plausible.  Remember that SOE is part of Sony, and Sony wants lots of people to buy a PS4, in order to get game developers to make games for it.  And in particular, to buy a PS4 rather than a next generation Xbox.  Console-exclusive games are one way to do that, and if EverQuest Next was going to launch around the same time as the PS4, then making it in initially a PS4-only game makes some sense.

I would, however, be very surprised if the game is forever PS4-only and doesn't eventually get ported to PC.

Originally posted by shamus252
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Advanced Micro Devices on Thursday revealed additional details about the system-on-chip that powers Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 video game console. According to AMD, the accelerated processing unit inside the PS4 is the company’s first design win with semi-custom APU for high-volume applications with multi-year lifespan.

The highly-integrated Sony PlayStation 4 system-on-chip integrates eight AMD x86 Jaguar cores, custom AMD Radeon HD core with unified array of 18 AMD GCN-like compute units (1152 stream processors which collectively generate 1.84TFLOPS of computer power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two), various special-purpose blocks as well as multi-channel GDDR5 memory controller.

It's not a true 8 core system, it's a quad core with 4 logical cores to give it 8.

Nonsense.  AMD has never been a fan of hyperthreading, and with Bulldozer and its successors explicitly went a different route, duplicating the integer cores within a module rather than making two logical threads share a single integer core as Intel has done.

With the first Jaguar core products due in the first half of this year (and rumored to launch in about three months), it would be absolutely shocking if AMD were going to use some sort of simultaneous multi-threading in Jaguar cores but hadn't yet talked about it.  That's the sort of information that business partners need to know about long before now in order to properly optimize software.  AMD has talked about much lower level details such as which particular instruction sets are supported for that very reason.

The PS4 will have eight real Jaguar cores.  Jaguar cores are fairly weak cores, so even in programs that scale flawlessly to eight cores, performance will trail behind a lot of desktop quad core processors--including AMD's own FX-4300 and A10-5800K, not just Intel quad cores with hyperthreading.  But it will have eight real x86 CPU cores.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Sounds like a typical SOE move to me.

They are never shy to piss customers off.

• ComstrikeComstrike Member Posts: 21

SOE goes console only. That means the news that developers favor PC platform development ahead of all other platforms next year, including the projected new systems, is dead-on accurate.

The irony is that consoles are going to suffer more than PCs will in the future.

Comstrike
    Founder, Leader, www.SonsOfNumenor.com LOTRO - SW.ToR (Yes, we are recruiting)

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by xpowderx

The sad thing is in my OP. I never stated it would not go to the PC...

...except in the title that - prior to the convenient edit recently made - only said "SOE going console only!"

Of course I had to edit the title. But the post itself did not change. Ican totally see the error. Thanks for making sure to point it out.. Had to keep it on subject.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Wouldnt surprise me! There was Everquest online adventures so wouldnt be the first time, and i dont mind since i plan on buying a PS4.

And it was a failure.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Dont believe it. MMORPGS on a console? Perhaps for both, but highly doubt they will just piss away the millions of pc gamers so they can target PS4 people.

But the console market has millions more and little to no competition.

Exactly.

And console-only means console-optimized so you don't have to worry about it playing like crap on one or the other platform because all the user experience design decisions are made with one control scheme in mind.

EDIT: I should clarify that just because that's the strengths of going console-only that doesn't mean that I think it's necessarily the right move to do so.  Most of the shift is to tablet gaming if anything, and I think eventually it's going to pull away a lot of the core gamer audience.  The overall topic also depends a lot on the PS4's price point and overall appeal to core gamers (which I'm not sure of nowadays.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

To OP,

two things...1) i don't believe anything you say for one second.  Why would your friend tell his blabber mouth pal information that would get him fired in a heartbeat?  And if I had a dime for every forum user who used a "friend" as fool proof fact, i'd have a sub to every game known to man with cash to spare.

2) I don't really care, I'm getting a PS4 and will have EQNext on PC and Console so....yeah...

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KemadinKemadin Member UncommonPosts: 2

Considering that SoE shut down it's Studio in Seattle in 2011 what exactly does your supposed friend do at this non existant  Tacoma SoE studio/location you speak of?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    early April 1st joke

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

1000% wrong but nice try.

This is why the game was scrubed and started over is because they were building a console platform and then realized the consumers were demanding the pc version.

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Actually i need to clear the air here. I to have a very good best friend who work's at soe. He personally told me that the game will not be on console's. Apatently some fellow was fired recently for drinking on the job.(Your friend perhaps). He apartently was saying those kind's of thing's the OP stated prior. And my very good best friend showed me some crayola crayon drawings of the game. It looks amazing! But the real sweet info he gave me was it will be ran on Voodoo 2's! You heard it here first folks! Game on!
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by gorro187
    Actually i need to clear the air here. I to have a very good best friend who work's at soe. He personally told me that the game will not be on console's. Apatently some fellow was fired recently for drinking on the job.(Your friend perhaps). He apartently was saying those kind's of thing's the OP stated prior. And my very good best friend showed me some crayola crayon drawings of the game. It looks amazing! But the real sweet info he gave me was it will be ran on Voodoo 2's! You heard it here first folks! Game on!

Heh. good humor there :-D.

One thing I know for sure. Is EQnext will be released this year. Regardless of what platform it is on. Here is a excerpt from John Smedley at TTH.

Smedley also touched on his hatred for cheaters, referencing one in particular fairly recently in which he banned from PlanetSide 2 and named on Twitter.

"The reason I took that step was because that guy was one of the senior people at one of the most famous AIMbotting sites there is," says Smedley. "I think cheaters are disgusting human beings - specifically when it comes to gaming. ”

Smedley closed out the interview with a brief discussion about EverQuest Next. The last bit of news we received was from last year’s SOE Live event where Smedley stated that the MMORPG was being completely rebuilt. Aside from that and a few tidbits from PC Gamer where Smedley discussed showing it off to the EQ & EQII teams, mum has been the word. At least it was until Smedley revealed this interesting little tidbit when questioned about the project.

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Wouldnt surprise me! There was Everquest online adventures so wouldnt be the first time, and i dont mind since i plan on buying a PS4.

And it was a failure.

And it was actually a VERY good game.  Console gamers just didnt go for it.

Wasnt really a failure, but it was far from a hit.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

well, MY best friend at SOE told me there will be no console or PC release at all, you will simply buy a two-way EQNextChip© implant connector and hook it up to your brain and testicles for most intense and immersive gameplay experience.

If you want to cancel your sub you need to make an appointment with a SOE certified surgeon working at Gamestop

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Well I am not going to call the OP liar. Ill just look at it with an open mind.

If Its true:

It might seem sony is trying to push more consoles out, They might be under estimating the cost of who is going to buy a ps4 just to play a game. I dont see that working in their favor at all. The real MMO player base is PC users. From what has been said about EQ Next it seems it is suposed to be a true MMO. To me if it releases on PS4 first thats a HUGE red flag for the game itself. That screams out to me just yet another online 90 day'er RPG. The console market is NOT an MMO market. The Console market is an online RPG type market though.

From my limited understanding of the PS4 hardware, its basically a computer anyways, so I do not see why it couldnt be on PS4 anyways. I think the days of a "console" are over. I expect the xbox 720 to be more PC like as well. For some reason technology is reinventing the wheel these days or maybe a better way to put it, just chasing its own tail. We have tablet with keyboards and mice. Which is essentially a laptop. At the rate cell phones are getting bigger soon were going to need a bag to carry our phones in......... AGAIN.

I am/was on the fence about buying the PS4, if its true and I hear more good things about EQ NEXT it very well could tip the balance in sony's favor.

If its false:

Well I still may or may not buy the ps4, I still have a lot of questions. Nothing else really changes from what I have been doing.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by psiic

1000% wrong but nice try.

This is why the game was scrubed and started over is because they were building a console platform and then realized the consumers were demanding the pc version.

lol that's wrong too

They restarted because they didn't like what they were making and didn't want to make another run-of-the-mill MMO, it wasn't until people at SOE they showed it at were amazed that they said this is it.

They never ever said they were developing for console, ever.

This thread is retarded.

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Dont believe it. MMORPGS on a console? Perhaps for both, but highly doubt they will just piss away the millions of pc gamers so they can target PS4 people.

But the console market has millions more and little to no competition.

Exactly.

And console-only means console-optimized so you don't have to worry about it playing like crap on one or the other platform because all the user experience design decisions are made with one control scheme in mind.

EDIT: I should clarify that just because that's the strengths of going console-only that doesn't mean that I think it's necessarily the right move to do so.  Most of the shift is to tablet gaming if anything, and I think eventually it's going to pull away a lot of the core gamer audience.  The overall topic also depends a lot on the PS4's price point and overall appeal to core gamers (which I'm not sure of nowadays.)

Any shift that has already happened to tablet gaming is a move from simple games like Solitaire or Minesweeper, or perhaps slightly more complicated Flash or Facebook games.  It's not a move away from more complex games like MMORPGs.

For more demanding 3D games, consoles will remain dominant in single-player games and a small niche in MMORPGs, while PCs will remain the other way around.  Single-player games are more profitable on a closed platform, while online games are more profitable on an open platform.  New hardware will do nothing to change that.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Yeah the chance of them sandbagging all the oringal EQ PC fans is pretty unthinkable even for a SoE's level of stupidity. I guess they could go for level 9999 though.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If EQN is as much an MMO as would be on a PC for me personally this could be a good thing. Guessing about 500 for the system + 60 for the game & sub? A lot cheaper than the system I plan to have built lol

That said ill believe it when I see it. I doubt it's going console first.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    If true, lets just say I'm glad eq next is far from the only interesting game on the horizon.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It honestly wouldnt surprise me. Smed did say that we would see the game this year... just in time for the PS4 launch perhaps.

With internet speeds and facial recognition, I dont see any reason why a MMO couldn't work on a console anymore. Everyone uses voice chat instead of typing these days anyway. A MMO designed from the ground up for consoles would do very well in the current market.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Yizle

And it was a failure.

And it was actually a VERY good game.  Console gamers just didnt go for it.

Wasnt really a failure, but it was far from a hit.

As I said earlier hackers ruined it , my friend couldn't get online with the system at the time and then after it took him 10 days to get on ( I started the first week of it ) it was hacked to bits , we still played for some months but yeah a real shame.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by FromHell

well, MY best friend at SOE told me there will be no console or PC release at all, you will simply buy a two-way EQNextChip© implant connector and hook it up to your brain and testicles for most intense and immersive gameplay experience.

If you want to cancel your sub you need to make an appointment with a SOE certified surgeon working at Gamestop

Your info is slightly incorrect. The second implant goes in your rectum so you can get the true SoE experience (tm).

Originally posted by achesoma

Aren't the next gen consoles essentially PC-based systems anyway?  So this really isn't beyond the realm of possiblity.  Plus, consoles don't have all the other resource hogs that typical PCs have to deal with.  I would imagine it's far easier for developers to make games knowing that all their customers have the exact same specs.  Whoever successfully taps into the console market with a good quality MMO will be the next WoW.  I know some EQ followers that would be willing to "sell-out" and go console if EQnext is good enough.

On a side note.  When I saw this, I immediately thought of the "uncle" post on the SWG forums talking about the upcoming NGE lol.  Everyone thought he was a crazy troll and he turned out to be dead on. 

Yeah, there have actually been a lot of crazy SoE leaks over the years that have turned out to be true. The only thing you can bet on with SoE is that they are unpredictable.