Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE going console only!(At first)

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

What nonsense.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I don't put any credibility in what the OP says, but the idea dosen't seem alien to me.

EQ3 having, say, a 6 month exclusivity on a new Sony console makes sense and the success of something like Skyrim shows that there is an appetite for Western RPGs amongst the console playerbase.

We shall see, it's most likely just a rumour, but the idea isn't crazy. I won't be buying a console at all this generation personally though, I am very much done with them.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I have a friend who works for Sony and he said that they didn't show the PS4 because it's not a console but a washing machine.

Developers of EQ1 and EQ2 don't know much about EQ Next but enough that we already know it's a PC title.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I also dont believe another posters statement about the hardware getting outdated quickly , most MMO's are designed on old technology because they take so long to make and if this EQNext comes out at the end of this year for the PS4 then that would be really early in it's life cycle , it would be perfect. usually MMOS on consoles prolong the consolse life cycle , look at PSO on DC and GC , also look at PSU on the PS2 , both those games helped all those 3 consoles to survive long after their intended life cycles.

Go for it SOE!

if it's indeed true :)

Yes, I suppose if developing for console everyone who has same console has same hardware, where when developing for PC they have to cosider making it compatible with older PC hardware.

The other thing I forgot to mention was why I used to like console gaming over PC was that console were better on a large screen TV vs a smaller monitor,  with some game playing better with controller, but now that mty latest PC can connect to the same  HD TV as my Xbox 360 and use the 360 controller for Windows, playing games on PC is like playing games on a Xbox 360 but with much better performance, practically makiing consoles obsolete

PCs are more versatile at the end of the day, and can do much more than consoles, and can do everything a console can these days too. Tablet PCs are getting better and better too, meaning more portable gaming.

PSO on DC/GC and PSU on PS2 did not prolong the life as they all shut down anyway when the next one released, and PSU on PS2 shut down ages ago. EQOA kept the PS2 going longer. PSO 2 is not even on console now, it is PC and mobile devices

It will be great though if it is on PS4 and PC, but will suck if it is PS4 only. Although when DCUO released on PS3 and PC, the controls for the PC version are horrible. PSO/PSU was also more suited for console than PC. FF XI is better on PC than console. EQOA was a unique game for the PS2, and was not tied in with the PC versions.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for SOE near Tacoma Washington. He told me about a game many mmorpg players are anticipating. I also got my answer as to why SOE has been silent on the subject. This pertains to EQ Next. The  new Everquest. First let me say its not coming out on PC for at least a while. It is however coming out with Sonys new PS4. There will be a barrage of commercials starting in October with that game headlining the new PS4.

So now we know the silence towards the MMORPG PC community. It seems that SOE is going console. Whats your opinion of this? By the way, the PS4 specs are pretty uber even to some PCs.

That said, I see a trend developing in the mmorpg industry. More and more games are coming out either crossplatform or strictly console.

EverQuest Online Adventures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQSHfGHj74

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

Until China lifts it's semi-ban on video game consoles, developing games that include the PC demographic is extremely important. Knowingly leaving out the biggest gaming market on the entire planet is moronic, and that market is relegated to *mostly PC at the moment. You can't legally buy a PS3 or Xbox in China, and while that may change soon, right now all those millions and millions of Chinese gamers are largely stuck with PC.

*there are some people playing consoles in China via black/grey markets

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I also dont believe another posters statement about the hardware getting outdated quickly , most MMO's are designed on old technology because they take so long to make and if this EQNext comes out at the end of this year for the PS4 then that would be really early in it's life cycle , it would be perfect. usually MMOS on consoles prolong the consolse life cycle , look at PSO on DC and GC , also look at PSU on the PS2 , both those games helped all those 3 consoles to survive long after their intended life cycles.

Go for it SOE!

if it's indeed true :)

Yes, I suppose if developing for console everyone who has same console has same hardware, where when developing for PC they have to cosider making it compatible with older PC hardware.

The other thing I forgot to mention was why I used to like console gaming over PC was that console were better on a large screen TV vs a smaller monitor,  with some game playing better with controller, but now that mty latest PC can connect to the same  HD TV as my Xbox 360 and use the 360 controller for Windows, playing games on PC is like playing games on a Xbox 360 but with much better performance, practically makiing consoles obsolete

PCs are more versatile at the end of the day, and can do much more than consoles, and can do everything a console can these days too. Tablet PCs are getting better and better too, meaning more portable gaming.

PSO on DC/GC and PSU on PS2 did not prolong the life as they all shut down anyway when the next one released, and PSU on PS2 shut down ages ago. EQOA kept the PS2 going longer. PSO 2 is not even on console now, it is PC and mobile devices

It will be great though if it is on PS4 and PC, but will suck if it is PS4 only. Although when DCUO released on PS3 and PC, the controls for the PC version are horrible. PSO/PSU was also more suited for console than PC. FF XI is better on PC than console. EQOA was a unique game for the PS2, and was not tied in with the PC versions.

Yeah I use my laptop connected to my TV with a 360 controller for SWTOR ( 40 abilites available via it ). Yeah I agree maybe I won't need a next gen console , as i am doing the same thing with my laptop , still I wan't Destiny but I could just play it on the 360 and not the next gen xbox , we shall see.

PSO and PSU did prolong the life of the consoles as far as people buying them when everyone else was waiting for the next gen console to come out and yeah I was going to mention EQOA I played for a while , it was a shame the hackers messed things up. I for one bought many pstoo's and DC just for the two games. PSO2 on PC indeed , why do you think I got a new laptop ? No not just for SWTOR but mainly for PSO2 , in fact just before PSU shut down there were rumours that they were only going to only update the PC version , so I was going to get a new PC back in the day then they announced an event and 3 days later said "BTW we are shutting down PSU on PC and PS2" , yeah thanks SEGA!

If I had known about DCUO i might have bought a PS3 for it but I found out a bit later and they cancelled The Agency ( was been made by the makers of EQOA don't you know ). I was too late in trying FF XI , plus with all theHD for PS2 been ditched for internet connectivity and the like then yeah never got to play it. Yup I know EQOA was totally different from it's PC EQ brother. Did you read my sig below ? :) I am a vetran console MMO gamer and now a pc MMO gamer.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    It's more about the market of each platform than how many players are on each platform.  There might be more ps3 players than PC players, but if you look solely at the players who actually have interest in the game, the PC market would be higher.  There's no way they're going to alienate the majority of the people interested in their product by releasing it to the PS4 community first.  I could see at most a simultaneous PC/PS4 release.  This is either a troll thread or someone who's just extremely misinformed.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    troll thread....SOE already tried to make a MMO for the PS3/PC (DCUO) and yet their latest is PC only....which EQnext share game engine with - if they could get Planetside 2 to function on to the PS3/4 they most certainly would
  • KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Well, it would be a good idea of SoE and Sony to put EQNext on a console. EQA was good, from what I have heard, and today we can play Free Realms and DCUO on the PS3. Saying that, the OP might have some truth in what he says, because they obviously try to be in the console area also. BUT, I don't think it will be a PS4 exlusive, that would just be stupid. Even if they release it for PC also, there will still be no competition on PS4, regarding mmorpgs. They will be the one and only for a very long time, so why not also aim for PC?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by xpowderx   I trust my friend that works directly with Sony. He has always been on point in our relationship over the past 5 years.

Your friend that 'works directly with Sony' is misinformed. Will SOE be bringing stuff to console? Yes. Will they go console only? No.

"Perhaps Sony is doing it to make sure its player base doesnt get hacked into like we saw in the past. Makes sense to me."

Game hacks and security breaches are two different things. Changing the game's platform doesn't change the latter.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    I could see EQnext coming to the PS4. It would be a great selling point for the console.  Then later when sales start to dip, bring it to the pc. Win/win
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Damnit giving $570 to sony this year...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

So now we know the silence towards the MMORPG PC community. It seems that SOE is going console. Whats your opinion of this? By the way, the PS4 specs are pretty uber even to some PCs.

Could only hope that this is true, don't play console games so I never get to see them again lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    If this is true I have zero interest......SOE has always been abotu the money though and if they feel they can make more on a console then they will do it......I jstu have no interest whatsoever in playing MMOs on a console...The format is jsut too limited.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I have high doubts the OPs "prediction" will ever come to fruition...  First, in order for this to work, the PS4 would have to have a sizeable enough install base just to make releasing a MMO exclusively on the PS4 feasible.  If commercials are planned for october, then that would mean EQNext is releasing late 2013/early 2014... the same window the PS4 launches.  That would just spell disaster for any MMO (launching in a fairly limited market niche of an already limited market).  Doesn't make sense.  If anything, I could see them doing a PS4-exclusive beta.

Now, if someone told me SOE was planning on launching EQ Next in late 2014, and doing a timed exclusive release on the PS4... I could believe that.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725

Aren't the next gen consoles essentially PC-based systems anyway?  So this really isn't beyond the realm of possiblity.  Plus, consoles don't have all the other resource hogs that typical PCs have to deal with.  I would imagine it's far easier for developers to make games knowing that all their customers have the exact same specs.  Whoever successfully taps into the console market with a good quality MMO will be the next WoW.  I know some EQ followers that would be willing to "sell-out" and go console if EQnext is good enough.

On a side note.  When I saw this, I immediately thought of the "uncle" post on the SWG forums talking about the upcoming NGE lol.  Everyone thought he was a crazy troll and he turned out to be dead on. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It makes sense in a 'political' kind of way actually.

If Sony HQ wants their studios to only develope for their 'next big thing; PS4' SOE will comply.

Console isn't a big market though; PS3 / Xbox sold 75-85M each in their lifetime which is now what 8 years?

PC sold 90M in just the last quarter and that was the lowest quarter since 2001 after 9/11.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    EQOA was my first mmorpg and a stellar one at that.  I wouldn't mind playing on a console to see what they're doing with the game.  My gaming life has been near devoid of any console activity for years and since EQOA went down I haven't had much reason to return.  While I doubt it will remain console only, if there's a large gap between the two releases I'd be happy to have a nostalgic console mmo romp.
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

The sad thing is in my OP. I never stated it would not go to the PC. I am guessing some cannot even read a full paragraph before posting negative commentry.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, we will be seeing EQNext in 5 months in a playable form supposedly. I highly doubt that SoE will not have this for PC, and for console only first.  If anything they may try to port a version to console, and have a dual release.  They said that EQ2 was designed for very high end systems (people have stated that it is very CPU dependant, that they thought the processors would keep climbing speed wise, and such, so they guessed wrong), so not that it will be made for super low systems, but that it would not take a brand new high end rig to play it.

So from what we have heard about the new console systems, they could probably run it, even if the graphics had to be set a little lower for the console versions.  So I wouldn't discount it in that sense, but the biggest thing I can think of that would sink the console rumor is that they said they were making it more sandbox....I do not see the console market and more sandbox going hand in hand.

I am excited about more sandbox, but I think porting PS2 would be more effective for the new PS4, over EQNext, if you are targeting console players.

Either way, I am excited to see the debut of EQNext in 4-5 months (5 if they keep it under wraps till their faire).

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

The sad thing is in my OP. I never stated it would not go to the PC. I am guessing some cannot even read a full paragraph before posting negative commentry.

you state it wont be coming out for a while on PC, also making a titles saying console only! what do you expect, I cant see your thread as anything but trolling/being miss informed

but we will see I guess, EQnext is supposed to be released this year, and have yet to be announced as a PS title - what we do know is they use the same engine as planetside 2, which they apparently havent been able to make a PS3 port of

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The sad thing is in my OP. I never stated it would not go to the PC...

...except in the title that - prior to the convenient edit recently made - only said "SOE going console only!"

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

This makes sense to me. I already wondered why SOE did not release anything jet about their “greatest sandbox of all times” that shall be released this year. At least put up a website. If it is a launch title for the PS4 this all would make sense. And yes, limiting a game to one consol only is no good idea, so I guess EQN would then also release on other platforms afterwards.

Maybe the next console circle will bring something like the rebirth of the home computer, a modern version of a non PC gaming-computer like the Amiga 500 or the Atari ST. It could well be that it comes with keyboard and mouse or some tablet-thing that serves the same purpose.

But if Everquest Next is a console only title now, that whole sandbox thing sounds to me more like it is going to be a sword and sorcery version of Planetside 2. One can call that type of game a sandbox too.

And never trust John Smedley, he I just a suit and does not care for his games or his gamers but only for the money.