Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE going console only!(At first)

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for SOE near Tacoma Washington. He told me about a game many mmorpg players are anticipating. I also got my answer as to why SOE has been silent on the subject. This pertains to EQ Next. The  new Everquest. First let me say its not coming out on PC for at least a while. It is however coming out with Sonys new PS4. There will be a barrage of commercials starting in October with that game headlining the new PS4.

So now we know the silence towards the MMORPG PC community. It seems that SOE is going console. Whats your opinion of this? By the way, the PS4 specs are pretty uber even to some PCs.

That said, I see a trend developing in the mmorpg industry. More and more games are coming out either crossplatform or strictly console.

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Dont believe it. MMORPGS on a console? Perhaps for both, but highly doubt they will just piss away the millions of pc gamers so they can target PS4 people.
  • Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Yeah sorry but I don't really believe you.  Maybe your friend was messing with you.  The plans to have a PC mmo and also port to a console make sense.  But not straight-to-console with one of the most successful PC MMORPGs in history would be something that I don't think even SOE would mess up.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Dont believe it. MMORPGS on a console? Perhaps for both, but highly doubt they will just piss away the millions of pc gamers so they can target PS4 people.

But the console market has millions more and little to no competition.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

mmmmmm sorry but i dont take word of mouth from a "friend" who works in a place as fact. so until i actully see some real proof im not going to beleave it.

and if it is true meh, im not going to care there is at least 2-3 pretty over bright fantasy MMOs comeing out each years so i wont really fill the loss in fact they might make more this way, cause deigneing a game only for the consol is cheaper and easyier then PC and with less MMOs on consule to compete with they may come out ahead long as they shot for basic profit and not WoW numbers

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I can believe it. Sony sold 77 million PS3s just in January. I or you dont have to believe it. I trust my friend that works directly with Sony. He has always been on point in our relationship over the past 5 years. Besides, mmorpgs on a console why not.? My PS3 already uses my wireless keyboard and mouse from this pc when I want to use. PS4 is a completely different beast.So I would imagine the same compatabilities will apply with it. Should make EQ Next hack proof. Which is nice!

Perhaps Sony is doing it to make sure its player base doesnt get hacked into like we saw in the past. Makes sense to me.

Also, some of the specs of the PS4 revealed by AMD.

Advanced Micro Devices on Thursday revealed additional details about the system-on-chip that powers Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 video game console. According to AMD, the accelerated processing unit inside the PS4 is the company’s first design win with semi-custom APU for high-volume applications with multi-year lifespan.

The highly-integrated Sony PlayStation 4 system-on-chip integrates eight AMD x86 Jaguar cores, custom AMD Radeon HD core with unified array of 18 AMD GCN-like compute units (1152 stream processors which collectively generate 1.84TFLOPS of computer power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two), various special-purpose blocks as well as multi-channel GDDR5 memory controller.

The PS4 will come with 8GB of unified GDDR5 memory sub-system (with 176GB/s bandwidth) for both CPU and GPU as well as large-capacity hard disk drive. Sony PS4 will be equipped with Blu-ray disc drive capable of reading BDs at 6x and DVDs at 8x speeds, USB 3.0 connectivity in addition to a proprietary aux port, Gigabit Ethernet port, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR wireless technology as well as HDMI, optical and analog outputs. The new system will also utilize new DualShock 4 game controller with integrated touchpad as well as better motion sensing thanks to new PS4 Eye tracking cameras. Sony PlayStation 4 will be available this holiday season.

You can find the full article here:http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20130221223422_AMD_Discloses_More_Details_About_Sony_PS4_System_on_Chip.html

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I am starting to get fed up of consoles, they seem to be turning more into low spec PCs (compared to the best PCs). The PS4 may be good now, but by the time it is released will not be so good, and by the time it gets going, will be outdated hardware

If it is on console as well then it makes for a wider audience, but after the PS3/Xbox 360 I think I am done with consoles unless they end up being backwards compatible, and so if it is not on PC as well, then I will not get to play it. I will get Wii U as it is BC, but it will be years before I get a PS4 / next Xbox if at all.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by xpowderx

I can believe it. Sony sold 77 million PS3s just in January. I or you dont have to believe it. I trust my friend that works directly with Sony. He has always been on point in our relationship over the past 5 years. Besides, mmorpgs on a console why not.? My PS3 already uses my wireless keyboard and mouse from this pc when I want to use. PS4 is a completely different beast.So I would imagine the same compatabilities will apply with it. Should make EQ Next hack proof. Which is nice!

Perhaps Sony is doing it to make sure its player base doesnt get hacked into like we saw in the past. Makes sense to me.

No game is hack proof...

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Wouldnt surprise me! There was Everquest online adventures so wouldnt be the first time, and i dont mind since i plan on buying a PS4.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Quirhid

25 million+ pc gamers, still a huge chunk to avoid and over look dont you think? Considering EQ is a pc game, to make the switch and just obmit the original fan base kind of would suck. And how many people are going to buy PS4 soon as it is released? Will take time for thos million you state to even get it and harm their income right off the bat. And since they speak of it being a PS4 game, means no PS1-3 will be able to play it if they go with their normal strategy on that.

Speculation of course, but i still dont believe the OP.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

and there is a reason for that ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

I added a little more info in my above post.

On October 1 2011 they had sold 55.5 million since the November 17 2006 release. So they took 5 years to sell 55 million but sold 77 million in one month?

Btw 138 million computers were sold last year alone. Twice that of playstations in a 6 year period.

You can google that, i did :)

SO no i still dont believe that. Hell seems like console style games already invaded the pc mmorpgs so why bother switching back image

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

On October 1 2011 they had sold 55.5 million since the November 17 2006 release. So they took 5 years to sell 55 million but sold 77 million in one month?

Btw 138 million computers were sold last year alone. Twice that of playstations in a 6 year period.

You can google that, i did :)

SO no i still dont believe that. Hell seems like console style games already invaded the pc mmorpgs so why bother switching back image

while i dont doubt your number for ether i would like to point out roughly 70 percent of people who buy PCs ether dont game at all or are replaceing a old one. of course this counts for PS3 as well

ether way once agian if they aim for profitable numbers and with the lesser cost of develment for a consol over PC they can still make a good prefit via going only consol. especilly since the competion will be so low.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Thane

and there is a reason for that ^^

For me it was DRM, and that consoles are cheap compared to keeping an up to date PC. Also devs have been getting lazier and not taking advantage of the PC specs. Dead Space 3 was apparently just a port of the Xbox 360 / PS3 and used DX9

However now, the PS4 and next Xbox are looking to be just like PCs (Wii U still maintains a decent console image), and losing that console appeal, and even rumoured to block 2nd hand games and go DRM too. They have said used games can still work, but that may not hold true for long, and if so with DLC it makes it harder to sell your games, as you want to keep them for the DLC.

After Xbox 360 / PS3 I will probably just wait until the games are £5-£15 or below on Steam or wherever in sales and then buy them. Whn you buy a game on release at £40, by the time you are finished with them they are being sold off for about £15, so lose out on about over £25

I think PCs will start to make a comeback after Xbox 360 / PS3 - Are people really going to ditch loads of games / DLC / downloads just to move to the next gen? Previous consoles never had this problem much, as all content and games were on disk / cartridge and can still be played in all its glory if you kept them and the conoles, with the exception of some original Xbox games as Microsft shut down the servers to get the DLC / onlne functionality, but that was not so much to lose compared to Xbox 360 and PS3,. plus these have been around a longer time than any other console in the past. This is not a major problem with PCs, as if you update your PC you can still play your old favourite games mostly, and some may need a slight tweak. No amount of tweaking will get N64 cartridge games to play on a Wii / Wii U.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

It would make sense moving to the console market with the PS4 as it would beable to cope now due to the ram increase. However, I doubt they will just focus on that.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by Torvaldr

The latest statistic I could find for Xbox was 75M total as of January 2012.

We could get a little foreshadowning on your prediction with how successful Dust and Defiance will be.  I already know the answer to that.  Good luck with the fantasy though.  You're not the first one to wish it so.  It's not a bad idea actually, but there are so many hurdles, including hardware aging, that it just isn't working out how you would like.

A excerpt from a previous post. Concerning "Hardware" aging.

Advanced Micro Devices on Thursday revealed additional details about the system-on-chip that powers Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 video game console. According to AMD, the accelerated processing unit inside the PS4 is the company’s first design win with semi-custom APU for high-volume applications with multi-year lifespan.

The highly-integrated Sony PlayStation 4 system-on-chip integrates eight AMD x86 Jaguar cores, custom AMD Radeon HD core with unified array of 18 AMD GCN-like compute units (1152 stream processors which collectively generate 1.84TFLOPS of computer power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two), various special-purpose blocks as well as multi-channel GDDR5 memory controller.

The PS4 will come with 8GB of unified GDDR5 memory sub-system (with 176GB/s bandwidth) for both CPU and GPU as well as large-capacity hard disk drive. Sony PS4 will be equipped with Blu-ray disc drive capable of reading BDs at 6x and DVDs at 8x speeds, USB 3.0 connectivity in addition to a proprietary aux port, Gigabit Ethernet port, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR wireless technology as well as HDMI, optical and analog outputs. The new system will also utilize new DualShock 4 game controller with integrated touchpad as well as better motion sensing thanks to new PS4 Eye tracking cameras. Sony PlayStation 4 will be available this holiday season.

Most PCs on the market do not even have this capability.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

They do this and there gonna have a lot of angry people on there hands not everyone is gonna rush out just to buy the PS 4 just to play EQN.

They would be cutting off half of there customer base by doing this.

I just can't see this happening......

But who knows with SOE nothing suprises me.....

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I can believe it.. SoE IS a division of Sony after all, so all that would have to happen is for Kazuo to say "hey, we lack strength at the startup in exclusives.. How about we make this one of the launch titles?"

And why does everyone keep talking about Sony pissing on it's PC crowd? Haven't we been pissed on enough? I mean hell, most of you are die hard CCP and EVE fans yet CCP took their massive shooter "mmo" straight to the PS3.. EA,EPIC even BIOWARE have all shat on PC users in lieu of better sustained sales figures (rather than the day 1 burst and then nearly non existence on PC)..

And if this EQNext thing does happen and makes a steady impact far longer than PS2 did with PC gamers, then we can count SoE as a console first developer..

The only folks left on our side are basically the guys over at Valve and some areas of Bethesda (they understand that patching and modding their "handywork" is the job of PC Modders.. Valuable lesson..)

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for SOE near Tacoma Washington. He told me about a game many mmorpg players are anticipating. I also got my answer as to why SOE has been silent on the subject. This pertains to EQ Next. The  new Everquest. First let me say its not coming out on PC for at least a while. It is however coming out with Sonys new PS4. There will be a barrage of commercials starting in October with that game headlining the new PS4.

So now we know the silence towards the MMORPG PC community. It seems that SOE is going console. Whats your opinion of this? By the way, the PS4 specs are pretty uber even to some PCs.

That said, I see a trend developing in the mmorpg industry. More and more games are coming out either crossplatform or strictly console.

I believe you, this kind of information comes more often than anyone thinks, returning to the subject i dont think SOE its turning into consoles just expanding a bit more so they can drag further customers, still this news dont worry me i dont think they will let the pc crowd down, thats just impossible

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I can believe it, this is SOE we are talking about here.
  • shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Also, some of the specs of the PS4 revealed by AMD.

You can find the full article here:http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20130221223422_AMD_Discloses_More_Details_About_Sony_PS4_System_on_Chip.html

It's not a true 8 core system, it's a quad core with 4 logical cores to give it 8.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

Smedley already gave interviews at pcgamer and said even low end pcs will be able to play EQN on Dec12th. Had to look this up, but seems its pointless to go to a pc website and talk about low end systems only to turn around and make it for console.

Google it im too lazy to copy/paste ;)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Who cares?

Did anyone really believe that SOE could produce a decent mmorpg?

So let them make EQnext for the PS4, they can do one development run on it and let it be, rather than make a mmorpg that everyones going to bitch and moan about in a month and force them to spend years trying to fix it, resulting still in a dead game after all that time and effort is put forth.

Ill be honest, its amazing after the last few years that any company would spend big money making a mmorpg.  mmorpg gamers dont know what the hell they want.  They want something different and when they get it they shun it for being different.  They all flock to the same games that are recycled and then hate them a month later.  So make a game that sells a few hundred thousand or a million on launch and then suck away money and resources over the next 5 years trying to save the game?  Or just pump out one version on PS4 and move on?  Both will probably sell the same tbh, only the PS4 people will buy it and move on as will their developers...end of story...cheaper to make and less permanant flak from the pc community.

Im sure there will be a PC version though.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Who cares?

Did anyone really believe that SOE could produce a decent mmorpg?

So let them make EQnext for the PS4, they can do one development run on it and let it be, rather than make a mmorpg that everyones going to bitch and moan about in a month and force them to spend years trying to fix it, resulting still in a dead game after all that time and effort is put forth.

Ill be honest, its amazing after the last few years that any company would spend big money making a mmorpg.  mmorpg gamers dont know what the hell they want.  They want something different and when they get it they shun it for being different.  They all flock to the same games that are recycled and then hate them a month later.  So make a game that sells a few hundred thousand or a million on launch and then suck away money and resources over the next 5 years trying to save the game?  Or just pump out one version on PS4 and move on?  Both will probably sell the same tbh, only the PS4 people will buy it and move on as will their developers...end of story...cheaper to make and less permanant flak from the pc community.

Im sure there will be a PC version though.

I do not care if there will be a PS4 version and there is a PC version as well, but thread implies it will be console only.

SOE can make decent MMORPGs at launch, but then they lose the plot! If any MMO they do they get right, it will be Everquest

EQnext is one MMO that I have my eye on, but if it goes PS4 only then I may not get to play it, as although I am a keen console gamer right now, I do not particulalry like the direction the consoles are heading, and I am starting to like PCs more again now for gaming so I may not get a PS4 at all.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

LOL! NO!  As of January they have sold 77M PS3 consoles total.  Console games tend to sell better than individual PC title though because the platform is focused.  MMO console games have historically been a big flop because they aren't conducive to the various forms of input, controls, and chat.  Hoever, we'll see what PS4 and the nextgen Xbox bring to the table.  They aren't an entirely different beast though.

Given that you can't get your facts straight I have no confidence in how you interpreted whatever your "SoE friend" told you.  If you would have claimed it's coming to the PS4, then I would believe that.  But you're out to lunch if you think they're going to abandon their core market.  SoE is supported by their PC gamers.  They couldn't take that revenue hit and keep going.  Do you actually think that the 77M PS3 users, which may or may not buy the non-compatible PS4, are MMO players?  I doubt even 10% play mmos.  If that was the case Everquest Adventures for the console would have rocked the WoW numbers.

Nope, sorry.  You're way off on this one.

MMO's on consoles have been great , in fact if this happens it's about b****y time , if you ask me. What's with this aren't conductive to the various forms of input , controls and chat ? Maybe you need a history lesson in console MMORPG gaming ? Let me know if you need one.

Anyways maybe they want to take away some of M$ sales with their exclusive rights to sell Destiny before it comes on PS3 and PS4 it would make sense. It is a bit strange though as they cancelled the Agency ( which I was going to by a PS3 for ) so not sure why this big turn around. 

I still think it will come out on the PC too , but maybe on PS4 first ? Who knows , I'm just glad devs are starting to realise MMO's have been and are great on consoles. They have been ofcourse a bit expensive to patch because of various stupid charges for each , but with Dust not been charged per patch on PS3 , maybe they are all ( M$ , Sony and Nintendo )  going to relax that overlooking at what a patch does charge.

I also dont believe another posters statement about the hardware getting outdated quickly , most MMO's are designed on old technology because they take so long to make and if this EQNext comes out at the end of this year for the PS4 then that would be really early in it's life cycle , it would be perfect. usually MMOS on consoles prolong the consolse life cycle , look at PSO on DC and GC , also look at PSU on the PS2 , both those games helped all those 3 consoles to survive long after their intended life cycles.

Go for it SOE!

if it's indeed true :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]