Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Grinding

PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

I have been reading GW2 posts in this forum for a while now and in pretty much in most of the ones i read there was someone saying that this game has grind. This leaves me a bit sad and shocked. Because GW2 has no grind.. 

If your objective is to get the best armor, you can go arround the world doing stuff and buy it from the trading post (full armor in 2days-5days). 

But you can say "I want to craft my armor!" or I want that good looking armor or I want a legendary.

Now legendary stuff its not better, so you lose nothing in not having one. And even though they are probably the hardest thing to get ingame still not grinding.

Anyone here that has played Lineage 2 or Aion laughs at you when you say that this game has grind... In GW2 you farm stuff, in L2 you grinded your ass out. Farming the same mobs for 2 days, 1h each its not griding.. Killing the same mobs, in the same place for 2 months, 8h a day to get the recipe you want, THAT is griding.

Now stop being such sissies, GW2 its a relaxing walk in the park where you need to farm a bit when you want the hardest thing to get in game.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The grinding issue came up with the introduction of ascended gear.

At first ascended rings were completely gated - now you can buy them for laurel.

However: Doing dailies for one month is not a real alternative for running a dungeon with a 30% drop chance.

They need to lower the laurel costs significantly and make ascended gear craftable to get rid of the "gated content" screams.

Harbinger of Fools
  • PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

But dont people understand the all this giving away stuff makes the games more boring?

How good it felt when you farmed for 6 months and crafted your weapon? It took long, but having that actually meant something...

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    It's obvious to anyone that there is no grind in GW2. That is everyone who has been playing mmo for more than a year. People these days have no idea what grind is...they never played the mmo's of yore.
  • bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23
    Tbh grinding in L2 GoD has gotten a lot easier than the other chronicles. Though it still takes time, I have to admit grinding in GW2 is even easier. Also you're right, I do laugh at people when they say "This game is too grindy, I hate it.". 
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

All MMOs have grinding, it's whether an individual perceives that to be a problem for their enjoyment or not.

Lineage and Aion aren't the same game so you can't use them as a defense.  GW2 has grinding, repeating events in a zone, WvWvW is grinding, running around the same zone killing the same people may bore players after a while.  Gold farming in dungeons for legendaries is grinding, (although it's much easier to buy said gold, but that's another issue for some), Asecended gear for daily laurels is grinding etc.

Some people just don't like how the game is setup and so use the catch all term, 'grinding', as to why it doesn't suit them.  The same person may find tiered raiding acceptable in WoW, but finds what GW2 does to be boring.  Perception.

If the argument was about MMOs and repetitive content it may have some merit but really trying to make out an MMO doesn't have any, 'grindy', aspects because grinding was worse at some point in the past doesn't really hold much water..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    grind in GW2? i loled, ppl who thinks there is grind never seen real grind, when you farming mobs with drop chance like 1 in 100000 for months
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Omnifish

All MMOs have grinding, it's whether an individual perceives that to be a problem for their enjoyment or not.

Lineage and Aion aren't the same game so you can't use them as a defense.  GW2 has grinding, repeating events in a zone, WvWvW is grinding, running around the same zone killing the same people may bore players after a while.  Gold farming in dungeons for legendaries is grinding, (although it's much easier to buy said gold, but that's another issue for some), Asecended gear for daily laurels is grinding etc.

Some people just don't like how the game is setup and so use the catch all term, 'grinding', as to why it doesn't suit them.  The same person may find tiered raiding acceptable in WoW, but finds what GW2 does to be boring.  Perception.

If the argument was about MMOs and repetitive content it may have some merit but really trying to make out an MMO doesn't have any, 'grindy', aspects because grinding was worse at some point in the past doesn't really hold much water..

To be honest, if what you are saying was the case, then every single game has tons of grind (doing the same thing over and over again). Last time I checked people playing shooters are doing the same thing over and over and over again. Same for strategies, for single player RPGs and pretty much every other game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    His the OP crafted much in GW2 ? Try it ...you may have a different opinion.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    GW 2 requires you to repetitively do content you don't enjoy doing for its own sake in order to acquire the best gear. IOW, grind. The fact that it isn't as bad a grind as this or that other MMO doesn't make it not a grind.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by meddyck
    GW 2 requires you to repetitively do content you don't enjoy doing for its own sake in order to acquire the best gear. IOW, grind. The fact that it isn't as bad a grind as this or that other MMO doesn't make it not a grind.

How is that so? You have several ways to reach one objective, if you dont like any of those then MMORPG's are not your thing.

AND the best gear is the exotic one. When you have Exotics you have the best gear you need for any pve  (instances, world completion, events) or WvW. 

Some people mentioned ascended gear, well, you only need it if you want to do fractals, why on earth would you spend time doing fractals for gear with agony resistance if you dont want to run fractals? Thats not very smart is it? 

you can craft your gear,buy it or farm it. If you dont like it you dont have do it.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    His the OP crafted much in GW2 ? Try it ...you may have a different opinion.

I did and its not that hard. There are some materials harder to get then others but none of them is that hard. 

I mean, you have to farm the events in the high lvl zones, or do instances in order to get those. Its not a giveaway, but its not hard either. One if the parts of crafting is to get the materials, if you dont enjoy that then you dont like crafting.

• EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I believe all mmo's have grinding of some sort, but the thing I love about GW2 is you don't really feel like you're grinding as much as other games, I guess cause there's always an event going on somewhere that you can jump into and forget that you were grinding in the first place, ;)
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Oh yeah it has grind, but you can play fully without it. But for achiever as myself I grind.
    Originally posted by mazut
    Oh yeah it has grind, but you can play fully without it. But for achiever as myself I grind.

+1

Originally posted by pedruzorro

Some people mentioned ascended gear, well, you only need it if you want to do fractals, why on earth would you spend time doing fractals for gear with agony resistance if you dont want to run fractals? Thats not very smart is it?

Well sorry that I'm so stupid to want the best gear and not just the second best.

Harbinger of Fools
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by pedruzorro

Well sorry that I'm so stupid to want the best gear and not just the second best.

that's the whole point though it's only best for certain aspects.. it's not the best all around for everything.. for instance many of my builds if I switched to ascended gear would hurt my effectiveness not help it.

But also you now have 3 seperate ways to get ascended gear.. well 4 if you include the crafted piece

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

But also you now have 3 seperate ways to get ascended gear.. well 4 if you include the crafted piece

I don't know how hard it is to farm guild missions since I didn't get to join one yet.

But I stick with what I said: Farming dailies for 1 month, every day, is not a real alternative to running a dungeon 3 times.

Also they just added more ascended rings with different builds, so no matter what your build is, they will add rings for your style sooner or later too.

Harbinger of Fools

I don't know how hard it is to farm guild missions since I didn't get to join one yet.

But I stick with what I said: Farming dailies for 1 month, every day, is not a real alternative to running a dungeon 3 times.

Also they just added more ascended rings with different builds, so no matter what your build is, they will add rings for your style sooner or later too.

yup already got both rings that are best for my build took a week but other pieces they don't have in my setup unless they just got added ill take a look.. hardly a grind.. i play very casually

not sure what other games people have played in the past if they feel stuff in gw2 is a grind.. aside from legendaries nothing really takes any time at all.. play any game with rep grinding.. now that's a grind

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

yup already got both rings that are best for my build took a week

But that is exactly what I am saying. No one would do dailies for a month for a ring.

Running fractals is the only real way to get them.

Harbinger of Fools
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Over the last 2 months, this game has gone from being extremely alt friendly to being one of the most prohibitive games for gearing alternate characters.

With the advent of laurels and guild merits, you can no longer step away from the game for a week or two and still be on par with everyone else. You WILL be behind.

You can no longer gear up all your characters with BiS gear; you have to pick which one you want to have it and prioritize your alternate characters.

It will literally take YEARS to have BiS gear across all 8 of my characters. I'm becoming very jaded with these time gates.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

yup already got both rings that are best for my build took a week

But that is exactly what I am saying. No one would do dailies for a month for a ring.

Running fractals is the only real way to get them.

and in a week ill have enough to get another piece from the laurels vender.. they never said laurels would be just as efficient as fractals running just an alternate method.. now you got guild quests as a third alternate method once guilds start unlocking them.. not sure how long those take but you got options if you hate fractals.. me for one think fractals are a lot of fun so have on issues running them

i played Rift for a good while it took me over 6 months of casual play to grind out rep for one of the factions to get a mount I wanted... now that's a grind

Originally posted by Vorch

Over the last 2 months, this game has gone from being extremely alt friendly to being one of the most prohibitive games for gearing alternate characters.

With the advent of laurels and guild merits, you can no longer step away from the game for a week or two and still be on par with everyone else. You WILL be behind.

You can no longer gear up all your characters with BiS gear; you have to pick which one you want to have it and prioritize your alternate characters.

It will literally take YEARS to have BiS gear across all 8 of my characters. I'm becoming very jaded with these time gates.

behind how? if you are decked in exotics you don't need anything else to be competative in every aspect of the game.. i too am an altaholic although only have 6 characters(not all 80) and have no issues at all gearing them up.. one i crafted my gear, one I bought with just karma, other I did dungeons, one bought gear with gold... not sure what the issue is it's much easier in this game ot gear up multiple characters than most other MMOs

how would it take you years? i'm very confused here.. unless you are talking legendaries from all 8 with multiple weapons.. which is hardly consider BiS

We don't want 2nd rank gear and we don't want to run fractals over and over again.

We want EQUAL varieties of obtaining ascended gear.

Harbinger of Fools

We don't want 2nd rank gear and we don't want to run fractals over and over again.

We want EQUAL varieties of obtaining ascended gear.

who is this we? 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    no grind for me, i can do any dungenon all the content and no one's ever asked me do i have the super duper legendary armor.