Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Medieval Sandbox MMO from independent team

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Zekiah

In theory that's awesome.

In practice, as proved time and time again, griefers and gankers will chase away your customers. Figure out a solution to that problem and you'll have something.

Best of luck, game looks interesting for sure. image

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by Bercilak

I know what you mean. However we added a lot of game design elements to prevent "Zerging" or "griefing of lower tier players". It will not be profitable for a high tier player to gank noobs. 

That's never stopped the griefers, and never will.  Their reward is the satisfaction of spoiling someone else's game.

this^

however, i hope the FFA PVP folks enjoy your implementation of it. they've really needed a good game for quite some time.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by chelan
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

I know what you mean. However we added a lot of game design elements to prevent "Zerging" or "griefing of lower tier players". It will not be profitable for a high tier player to gank noobs. 

That's never stopped the griefers, and never will.  Their reward is the satisfaction of spoiling someone else's game.

this^

however, i hope the FFA PVP folks enjoy your implementation of it. they've really needed a good game for quite some time.

^ I'd agree with that if the same folks who griefed didn't also need their victims for weapons and stuff :P if they add in item decay (which is sorta likely considering) then dedicated griefers will have a hard time of it unless they found their own cities in which case they're putting themselves on the map for counterattacks, that right there gents is emergent gameplay and it is why I love EVE and what I'd love to see in a groundbased game as well someday, perhaps Albion will be the first :).

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Its sad really, considering full loot does wonders for a games economy and makes crafting vital.

Actually this depence. The person who lost the item most likely goes to the market and buys it back from the guy who looted the item or someone else who looteed it. I prefer a system where items take unrepairable damaged on death and will be completly out of the game. If however the items still take unrepairable damage even with full loot it would still work. 

Anyhow I love the idea behind the game and the graphics look great!

Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    Its sad really, considering full loot does wonders for a games economy and makes crafting vital.

Actually this depence. The person who lost the item most likely goes to the market and buys it back from the guy who looted the item or someone else who looteed it. I prefer a system where items take unrepairable damaged on death and will be completly out of the game. If however the items still take unrepairable damage even with full loot it would still work. 

Anyhow I love the idea behind the game and the graphics look great!

The idea items become damaged by death is illogical however being damaged over time (IE decaying) and requiring repairs lest they become broken/unuseable would be an idea ^^ (it would also give an idea to travelers into dangerous areas to have on them a cheap but highly worn set of armour and weapons so if he/she gets ganked he/she gets to give the finger to the ganker from beyond the grave as the loot is near worthless, probably not even worth the effort).

• BercilakBercilak Albion OnlineMember Posts: 108

Just FYI. Currently on death there is a 50/50 roll on each item if it is being destroyed forever. Don't blame us for this but it is one of our sinks we need for the economy. We are highly concerned to avoid any kind of inflation and want to keep the value of the items. 

And another interesting point might be that we have a weight system in place currently, which will hinder you from eventually taking everything from one corpse. 

But please keep in mind that we are still testing out a lot of things and we are carefully listening to everything being said by veteran MMO players which we consider our target group. We do not want to create a mass market game but rather supply the niche. 

Just FYI. Currently on death there is a 50/50 roll on each item if it is being destroyed forever. Don't blame us for this but it is one of our sinks we need for the economy. We are highly concerned to avoid any kind of inflation and want to keep the value of the items. 

And another interesting point might be that we have a weight system in place currently, which will hinder you from eventually taking everything from one corpse. 

But please keep in mind that we are still testing out a lot of things and we are carefully listening to everything being said by veteran MMO players which we consider our target group. We do not want to create a mass market game but rather supply the niche. 

Thanks and good luck with the timetable ^^ may the game come out no later than expected but no sooner than it is ready.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

You know what would be cool..

(Going slightly Roleplayer like here..)

If, through crafting, you were able to put a sacred seal on an item that makes it unusuable by anybody except the original owner.  It would basically bind the item to you, but the cost of doing this would be so high that only people willing to sink in a huge amount of money/mats/time whatever are able to afford it.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    This game looks pretty interesting.  Reminds me of some of the old iso mmos of old (UO, Ashen Empires), but newer and better looks/UI.  I'll have to try it out when it comes out.  I actually like the art style.  I've never been a big fan of "realistic" graphics, as they never look realistic hehe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326
    How do you get into closed beta?
    Originally posted by Duilyon
    How do you get into closed beta?

Just like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/albiononline/

or follow us on Twitter @albiononline

We will then raffle beta keys amongst everyone. 

FYI: At the beginning we are looking out not to get individuals in but whole guilds. So if you are a guild just let us know via facebook or send an email to [email protected]. AO is not a single player game, it has some interesting new Guild vs Guild mechanics and for testing them we prefer whole guilds before individuals.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Why always have to have full loot FFA PvP?

when will a sandbox developer do something original with the PvP for once. 

Anyway, its a interesting concept. I will check it out.

Exactly.

Waiting for the day for a 100% PvE sandbox with deep character progression and meaningful PvE encounters.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Why always have to have full loot FFA PvP?

when will a sandbox developer do something original with the PvP for once. 

Anyway, its a interesting concept. I will check it out.

Exactly.

Waiting for the day for a 100% PvE sandbox with deep character progression and meaningful PvE encounters.

You should still give our game a try, it has way more restrictions on the Open PVP part then the typical counterparts. We think we found a good solution for it. Hopefully we can start closed beta soon.

Kind regards,

Bercilak

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Sandbox interested me. Then I saw the big [Get More Gold] button in the upper right. Hopefully others enjoy it, and I wish success on any team attempting a sandbox, but this one is definitely not for me, good luck though!
     I've been here a while...
    Originally posted by sacredcow4
    Sandbox interested me. Then I saw the big [Get More Gold] button in the upper right. Hopefully others enjoy it, and I wish success on any team attempting a sandbox, but this one is definitely not for me, good luck though!

He already said, based on someone mentioning that very thing before you in the thread, that they've added to the cosmetic side of their game's document to code in a option in your options menu which hides this and if you read their whole site you'll see you can play completely for free and still get everything in the game (even though they made a point of saying they'll never sell any items).

@the Devs: One final thing I'd like to ask: if at any point in the future you guys have to sell your company to some publisher for whatever reason do not do it to SOE or EA, if the publishers were people the first would sell his own mother for profit and the second would sell the organs he harvested from his mother himself for profit, or Hell just to see if he could.

Originally posted by sacredcow4

Albion Online is NOT pay to win.

Very important: We the company will not sell one single item to the players! So you can NOT go in and buy the best equipment from us. We want to strengthen the Player Driven Economy so you can only buy items from other players!

We see ourselves more like the central bank where you can exchange Dollars into our ingame currency! Everything else should the players sort out between themselves. What we then do is of course implement ohter money sinks like taxes or fees for transactions. Otherwise the economy would be doomed to fail. 

In addtion there will be two other money streams for us

• Premium Accounts which gives you passive advantages like being able to carry more (BUT DEFINETLY NOT TO DO MORE DMG OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS)
    • And Skins to make you look better which just have cosmetic pruposes
    Originally posted by Dihoru

@the Devs: One final thing I'd like to ask: if at any point in the future you guys have to sell your company to some publisher for whatever reason do not do it to SOE or EA, if the publishers were people the first would sell his own mother for profit and the second would sell the organs he harvested from his mother himself for profit, or Hell just to see if he could.

We have no intention of selling our company any time soon. Of course you should never say never, but for us the reason why we started this project is to finally become independent and to do a game we would also play ourselves (which is very rare nowdays in the industry)

But the independent part is the main key issue for us, having a game from which we can live but which we love as well. So selling the company and then again be somebodys slave is not an option. 

We have no intention of selling our company any time soon. Of course you should never say never, but for us the reason why we started this project is to finally become independent and to do a game we would also play ourselves (which is very rare nowdays in the industry)

But the independent part is the main key issue for us, having a game from which we can live but which we love as well. So selling the company and then again be somebodys slave is not an option. 

So you guys are going the CCP route :-? I am glad to hear it ^^.

• CryghtCryght Member UncommonPosts: 22
    will i be able to have a house?  it says build cities and towns, such  but whats the good if we cant also own our own bit of safehaven a place to call home and decorate?
    Originally posted by Cryght
    will i be able to have a house?  it says build cities and towns, such  but whats the good if we cant also own our own bit of safehaven a place to call home and decorate?

http://albiononline.com/player-driven-economy/ scroll down.

• AllizarAllizar Member Posts: 54

Interesting, but PvP is a dealbreaker for me. I play sandboxes to build, not to have what I build or earn taken by some random gank.

There are so many PvP focused sandboxes, and tons of people like me that are looking for a PvE focused sandbox. It's easy enough to do both with either 2 servers with different rules or by making it optional, and the game would be that much stronger for it by pushing the PvE side to greater heights.

Originally posted by Allizar
    Interesting, but PvP is a dealbreaker for me. I play sandboxes to build, not to have what I build or earn taken by some random gank.

Then what you build is pointless and you won't have enough space to build whatever you wanna build because nothing gets destroyed. You can likely hire people to protect your stuff :P.

• AllizarAllizar Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Allizar

Then what you build is pointless and you won't have enough space to build whatever you wanna build because nothing gets destroyed. You can likely hire people to protect your stuff :P.

What's wrong with decay?

My problem with it is not that people can destroy it, it's that people will go out of their way in games like this to destroy it for "fun", which is not realistic.

• DarakDarak Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Do items decay ? otherwise they get recycled for ever, so no need for people to build new ones.
This discussion has been closed.