Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exposing the Truth, Past and Present.

2»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

“We absolutely design everything we do with minimal grind and will continue with this principal moving forward.”

-Chris Whiteside

Repetitive game play that is not fun. –Chris Whiteside

Lol... nicely played Chris.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

The devs REALLY can't win with some people, can they?!?

They decide to put in a unique looking, cool item and decide that it should be stupidly rare.

Someone then data mines the game files and finds this item. Everyone then demands it.

It is entirely possible for an item with a drop chance of 0.005 in a million to take years to drop. Each loot roll is independant of all other loot rolls. Each loot roll form that 1 mob has a 0.005 in a million chance. Theoretically, because each loot roll is independant, it could also drop 5 times in a row.

But no. It must be bugged. Blame the devs. They must be lieing.

So, to appease the whiners they increase the drop rate to something more like 1 in 10,000. Suddenly it drops eveyr day. Hah! Proof they were lieing in the first place!

And people (by which I mean the more mature gamer) wonder why the MMO genre is in the state it is...

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Hey Finit, I enjoyed your OP, and agree with you on all points. You also express yourself very well I think, and I take my hat off to your patience with some of the replies you are getting.

I stopped playing GW2 in october and have only logged in for the october and december events since. You put in to words a lot of the reasons why I dont play gw2 anymore. In my mind it was much the same experience as I had with swtor. A lot of promise, a lot of cleverly worded hype, but not that great an experience when it came to it. 

I know some people who enjoy the game in its current form. I think thats great. I, personally, didnt feel the game lived up to its promise.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

from a hater that quit guild wars 2 in disgust about a month after release and almost cost me my friendship with a dev ive known for years working there , the last thing in the world Anet is currently doing is trying to deceive anyone. They continue to give players almost everything they ask for , mechanics wise and gameplay wise each month . It took almost 9 months of bugging and pestering from the community to get realm abilites added to world vs world and here it is. Exotic sets are now available for EASY , and i mean EASY as hell for even a casual to get . In fact Ive never in any game ive played found a full set of exotic or purple gear so to speak completely ready for the second I hit 80. Now its save up all your karma pots from dungeons and dailies , monthlys etc pop a karma 50% booster and a guild buff and bam 350k karma or more with no gold spent. Fractals were added giving a new gear tier and 20 slot bags people were complaining about bag space and price. Hell even people do not have to step one foot in a dungeon and can earn acended gear from just doing dailies , good luck in other games getting the top gear without raiding or running heroic style dungeons.

Im seriously unsure of the badgering of Anet here , I could understand the complaining about mechanics or gameplay. What I cannot understand is people complaining here about a company that listens and tries to accomadate everyone as best they can. Hell im even willing to bet you the next class is the monk coming because everyone wants a healing based class . I think Anet listens a lot more than people give them credit for , they are just slow in sometimes changing things up.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by cronius77

from a hater that quit guild wars 2 in disgust about a month after release and almost cost me my friendship with a dev ive known for years working there , the last thing in the world Anet is currently doing is trying to deceive anyone. They continue to give players almost everything they ask for , mechanics wise and gameplay wise each month . It took almost 9 months of bugging and pestering from the community to get realm abilites added to world vs world and here it is. Exotic sets are now available for EASY , and i mean EASY as hell for even a casual to get . In fact Ive never in any game ive played found a full set of exotic or purple gear so to speak completely ready for the second I hit 80. Now its save up all your karma pots from dungeons and dailies , monthlys etc pop a karma 50% booster and a guild buff and bam 350k karma or more with no gold spent. Fractals were added giving a new gear tier and 20 slot bags people were complaining about bag space and price. Hell even people do not have to step one foot in a dungeon and can earn acended gear from just doing dailies , good luck in other games getting the top gear without raiding or running heroic style dungeons.

Im seriously unsure of the badgering of Anet here , I could understand the complaining about mechanics or gameplay. What I cannot understand is people complaining here about a company that listens and tries to accomadate everyone as best they can. Hell im even willing to bet you the next class is the monk coming because everyone wants a healing based class . I think Anet listens a lot more than people give them credit for , they are just slow in sometimes changing things up.

i'm confused as well but again it seems you please this group and that group is angry.. you can never please everyone so what's left? a lot of complainers on forums...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Nibs

So, to appease the whiners they increase the drop rate to something more like 1 in 10,000. Suddenly it drops eveyr day. Hah! Proof they were lieing in the first place!

And people (by which I mean the more mature gamer) wonder why the MMO genre is in the state it is...

Blizzard's done the same, many times (see: halloween event, and players bitching about drop rates every year). Used to be, traditonally, a never-ending thread that popped up a few times a year over Drakelings (when you could still sell the pets for a pretty fair chunk of gold).

As far as I know, Blizzard's always been accused of lying, every time. Explaining binomial probabilities to forum dwellers is just not for the faint of heart.

If you look for villains everywhere, you will find villains. :shrug:  Gamers have been creating villains to hate for just as long as there have been games.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I didnt like SPvP. It seem like the worst instanced pvP I have ever played in a MMO. Never played it again after beta..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Wow, that's quite a novel. Something in there must be really important to you.

i hope they pay good for OPs like this one .

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

1. Final rest: lots of conspiracy theory. We are really glad you exposed the "truth"

2. Ascended gear: while many agree it was not needed its here, its not required for anything (except activity where you get - ascended gear) and they will introduce multiple paths to obtaining it, one of wich are dailies which can in most cases be achieved by just playing the game opposed to other games where you must do same quests over and over again

3. They have always said living story in jan/feb were just teasers and theres not much to do gameplay wise. Its certanly better then other game releasing just a trailer.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

MMO-Grind is the repetitive process in one sitting, in one place.  People are using "grind" in place of content that they don't like.

I have yet to do that in any MMO since Aion (also in WoW classic for reputation), when i grinded XP due to lack of quests, in one specific spot.  I have not been compelled to grind in Swtor, AoC, Lotro, or GW2.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

One thing which really struck me is that ArenaNet promised that the updates in January and February will be massive, much more impressive than their October, November and December patches. They said those patches would be expansion worth of content. Well, from what I've seen from the January and February patch they are kinda meh. Not really "expansion worthy" content. Hell, I have seen patches in MMOs which add more than all of GW2's 3-4 patches combined. Unless the March update is massive, I don't see them keeping up to that promise.

I think ArenaNet got hooked up on the whole hyping thing. They hyped their two content patches and yet again failed to deliver. Don't get me wrong. The patches were nice and I really appreciate that ArenaNet is adding content regularly especially considering there is no sub fee. But this kind of hyping is just getting annoying. ANet didn't used to do this when they were developing GW1.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

One thing which really struck me is that ArenaNet promised that the updates in January and February will be massive, much more impressive than their October, November and December patches. They said those patches would be expansion worth of content. Well, from what I've seen from the January and February patch they are kinda meh. Not really "expansion worthy" content. Hell, I have seen patches in MMOs which add more than all of GW2's 3-4 patches combined. Unless the March update is massive, I don't see them keeping up to that promise.

I think ArenaNet got hooked up on the whole hyping thing. They hyped their two content patches and yet again failed to deliver. Don't get me wrong. The patches were nice and I really appreciate that ArenaNet is adding content regularly especially considering there is no sub fee. But this kind of hyping is just getting annoying. ANet didn't used to do this when they were developing GW1.

not true and collin himself said the updates would contain the type of content normally in expansions not an expansions worth of content

"I’ll throw out feature wise, many of the things we’ll be doing feature wise across the first half of 2013 are typically the type of features you’d likely only see in a paid expansion traditionally. We’re really excited about the opportunity to be able to do that for Guild Wars 2, and think there is something really compelling in that experience, which is really the only message we wanted folks to take from all of this. March will of course continue this tradition of free releases, major features, and of course the growth of living story as we expand its role in Gw2.

All of that being said, this is exactly why we try and avoid talking about stuff until it’s ready, if we say something early and it ends up not ending up exactly what people expect, it doesn’t work out for anyone. Saying something like “expansions worth of content” means different things to everyone, and is nearly an impossible goal to meet expectation wise since everything expects something different, which is a big part of why marketing stepped away from that plan very quickly after asking us to use it when speaking to the press/fans.

I imagine it’ll still get quoted until the end of time, but hope that helps explain where it came from, and what to expect. Just to re-iterate the post I made back in January:

“To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.”

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

We are still doing this.. really?

GW2 was pretty much what I expected it to be. I don't feel I was mislead in any way. This coming from a person who played the game for all of one month and then shelved it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by fivoroth

not true and collin himself said the updates would contain the type of content normally in expansions not an expansions worth of content.

Snip...

"But January and February are actually our biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free."

-Colin Johanson

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

"But January and February are actually our biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free."

-Colin Johanson

got when that quote was posted? i'm guessing in late december sometime as they originally wanted all the WvW stuff out in the jan/feb releases but obviously that got delayed.. but if we want to get hung up on everything a dev says TSW was supposed to have issues out every single month.. obviously that didn't happen.. stuff changes

edit found it 

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

posted dec 1st.. obviously they didn't meet their mark they had hoped.. stuff happens as it does with all MMOs

-Colin Johanson

got when that quote was posted? i'm guessing in late december sometime as they originally wanted all the WvW stuff out in the jan/feb releases but obviously that got delayed.. but if we want to get hung up on everything a dev says TSW was supposed to have issues out every single month.. obviously that didn't happen.. stuff changes

edit found it 

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

posted dec 1st.. obviously they didn't meet their mark they had hoped.. stuff happens as it does with all MMOs

Do you think  with the WvW update,  it would have been a expansion's worth of content?

off topic, hasn't TSW keep a every 30 day average? Idk, I haven't been keeping up.

-Colin Johanson

edit found it 

Do you think that even with the WvW update that it would have been a expansion worth of content?

again he explained what he meant by that in the quote I posted..  are people really that desperate to hang on every single word a dev says and if he doesn't pull through 100% you jump down their throats and call them failures/liars?(not talking about you bcbully just in general) it's dev PR mumbo jumbo happens with every game all the time.. people who have playing MMOs for long enough should know this by now.

-Colin Johanson

edit found it 

Do you think that even with the WvW update that it would have been a expansion worth of content?

again he explained what he meant by that in my quote..  are people really that desperate to hang on every single word a dev says and if he doesn't pull through 100% you jump down their throats and call them failures?(not talking about you bcbully just in general) it's dev PR mumbo jumbo happens with every game all the time.. people who have played MMOs for long enough should know this by now.

I honestly think someone should tell Colin to tone it down a bit. Under promise, over deliver.

-Colin Johanson

edit found it 

again he explained what he meant by that in my quote..  are people really that desperate to hang on every single word a dev says and if he doesn't pull through 100% you jump down their throats and call them failures?(not talking about you bcbully just in general) it's dev PR mumbo jumbo happens with every game all the time.. people who have played MMOs for long enough should know this by now.

I honestly think someone should tell Colin to tone it down a bit. Under promise, over deliver.

which if you see by his follow up quote is what he will be trying to do

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Finit

What is your/ANet’s definition of grind?

Repetitive game play that is not fun. –Chris Whiteside

I agree indeed with Chris Whiteside,grind is that! but i haven´t felt that yet in GW2.

Even if i felt in the urge to get some ascended item,grinding has never been so varied & fun!

And after all is not really that mandatory or even necessary....in my opinion grinding is simply an option in GW2.

You can still enjoy FULL CONTENT of the game,and be extremelly competitive without having to need that equipment.

except for Fractals,OFC, that need an special item just for them....but that´s just a never-ending loop designed to be just that....a wheel for those who want a wheel.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Frozen Maw.

A guild gathering for a bounty mission in the Black Citadel.

imageimage

Shadow Behemoth.

I wish culling wasn't so big because there must be 3 times as more players in those images - it is amazing a clear swamp with 3 cauldrons is all you see, 3 seconds later hundreds of peeps popping.

January and February might not have been an expansion worth of content, but damn if doesn't feel like expansion release day with the absurd amount of players joining in for every damn World Boss event.

And lags like release day as well. People were certainly hiding in instances.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The real truth?

Developers always get the short end of the stick.

We, the gamer, demand information, time tables, exact specifics etc. and we demand it as early as possible.

Once information is given to us, we solidify it into 100% pure fact and do not accept any variation on what we were originally told.

Things in development change, often, and with great degrees of variation.

When things change in development, developers tell us and we, the gamer, call them liars for not giving us 100% perfectly accurate to what we were originally told.

Or they don't tell us, and we discover it and then create our big fuss and call them liars and thieves etc. etc.

And actually, it's not any better to tell us about changes before they launch becuase we put up just about the exact same level of stink.

So developers are stuck not wanting to tell us anything that isn't 100% final, but nothing is ever 100% final in MMO development, and we demand information as soon as the developers get a glint of an idea in their eye, and then yell at them once something changes during the development process.

PLUS JUAN image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The devs promised blueberry muffins and we got banana muffins instead!  Those liars and hypocrites!  Burn them on a stake.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by kakasaki

I agree with you but to play devil's advocate, you have to understand that long diatribes like this are all to common on these forumes and people (in particular vets) get kinds jaded after a while. 

Posts like the Op's aren't the problem around here, not by a long shot. The OP was long winded perhaps, however, he was articulate and civil, hardly the makings of a ranting diatribe or the trolling you seem to be referring to.

That said, in many cases you can't hold devs at fault for changes to original plans, these games evolve, development should evolve in the direction the current players want.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

This discussion has been closed.