Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Traditional Questing in GW2 Cities

2»

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by tintilinic
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you missed a lot of npcs then(obviously "interesting" is very subjective).. many give you lore or backround same as anything you find in other MMO questing.. you can wander around the major cities and listen to converstation about things going on and such.. the delivery works a lot better imho than typical text based mmos but that is a preference thing as many don't have any issue with just straight text on everything but in creating a more "alive" feeling world I feel gw2 is leaps over majority of MMOs in this regard.

I think its the lack f exclamation marks. People are so deep in WoW mentality that if they dont see exclamation mark they ignore it.

Just in Divinity Reach there are lot of books you can read...but no exclamation marks...so why even enter these areas to find this stuff? Stand to listen to NPC banter?

And i was pleasantly surprised how personal stories are interwiened up to level 50.

Personally i dont think theres need for "traditional quests" in GW2 as they do great what they do and should continue what theyre doing, in a way, as someone said before, it would be step backwards.

And thus my point is backed up. The lore is there, the background and story is there, it just isn't wrapped into the exclamation mark. And because WoW has so tought all of us to ignore anything else, a great many people miss a great deal of the depth that is available to immerse yourself in.

I do think more non-combat DE's in the open world and perhaps more direct, story-based 'tasks' that can be gained by interacting with NPCs or from over-hearing conversations in cities would add even more depth to what is already available. A great example is the books in Ebonhawk that are part of an achievement. I wonder how many have done that zone and never even read any of the books if they found them. They give great backstory of how Ebonhawke was founded, and the trials and tribulations of the early settlers, fleeing form the ruins of Ascalon.  Fields of Ruin is my favorite zone in part to those books, even though when I did that zone the first time 1/2 the events were bugged.

So the lore, backstories and depth is there, you just have to find it. Maybe some folks don't like that, they'd rather have it obviously available, but to me it's the finding them and exploring the cities to hear the banter and learn backstories of various NPCs, I love that. I love that it isn't just a big exclamation mark with a block of text I probably won't even read.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Fion
    Originally posted by tintilinic
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you missed a lot of npcs then(obviously "interesting" is very subjective).. many give you lore or backround same as anything you find in other MMO questing.. you can wander around the major cities and listen to converstation about things going on and such.. the delivery works a lot better imho than typical text based mmos but that is a preference thing as many don't have any issue with just straight text on everything but in creating a more "alive" feeling world I feel gw2 is leaps over majority of MMOs in this regard.

I think its the lack f exclamation marks. People are so deep in WoW mentality that if they dont see exclamation mark they ignore it.

Just in Divinity Reach there are lot of books you can read...but no exclamation marks...so why even enter these areas to find this stuff? Stand to listen to NPC banter?

And i was pleasantly surprised how personal stories are interwiened up to level 50.

Personally i dont think theres need for "traditional quests" in GW2 as they do great what they do and should continue what theyre doing, in a way, as someone said before, it would be step backwards.

And thus my point is backed up. The lore is there, the background and story is there, it just isn't wrapped into the exclamation mark. And because WoW has so tought all of us to ignore anything else, a great many people miss a great deal of the depth that is available to immerse yourself in.

I do think more non-combat DE's in the open world and perhaps more direct, story-based 'tasks' that can be gained by interacting with NPCs or from over-hearing conversations in cities would add even more depth to what is already available. A great example is the books in Ebonhawk that are part of an achievement. I wonder how many have done that zone and never even read any of the books if they found them. They give great backstory of how Ebonhawke was founded, and the trials and tribulations of the early settlers, fleeing form the ruins of Ascalon.  Fields of Ruin is my favorite zone in part to those books, even though when I did that zone the first time 1/2 the events were bugged.

So the lore, backstories and depth is there, you just have to find it. Maybe some folks don't like that, they'd rather have it obviously available, but to me it's the finding them and exploring the cities to hear the banter and learn backstories of various NPCs, I love that. I love that it isn't just a big exclamation mark with a block of text I probably won't even read.

What I don't understand is how reading a book is any different to a "block of text you probably won't even read"?

Hearts are boring and provide almost no story. Also I don't see how they are so much different from traditional quests or how they are any better than traditional quests?

Hearts are not just fillers. Events are not nearly enough to level you up from my experience. The bulk of the experience I get is from hearts so if anything they are one of the main things to level you up as events are few and far apart in most zones except Orr. Can you level off only from events and crafting? Yes but it super inefficient and it's not so easy to find enough events so you spend tons of times doing hearts.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by fivoroth

What I don't understand is how reading a book is any different to a "block of text you probably won't even read"?

Hearts are boring and provide almost no story. Also I don't see how they are so much different from traditional quests or how they are any better than traditional quests?

Hearts are not just fillers. Events are not nearly enough to level you up from my experience. The bulk of the experience I get is from hearts so if anything they are one of the main things to level you up as events are few and far apart in most zones except Orr. Can you level off only from events and crafting? Yes but it super inefficient and it's not so easy to find enough events so you spend tons of times doing hearts.

you have so many ways to suppliment xp to "fill in the gaps" between events.. just exploring and getting nodes works add in some crafting and you are set or even WvW if you want, also of course dungeons and personal story both which give a large chunk ok XP:). Hearts are filler.. there's a couple reasons they are better(imho) than filler quest in other MMOs.

1. They all have multiple ways to complete any heart

2. You are not "required" to interact with the npc at all to get or complete a heart(can be good or bad depends on how you see it) they all do have a story behind them although most are simple little side stories as most MMO filler quests are

3. Heart quest givers become karma venders after finishing said heart giving you access to some unique items

4. Hearts give people a sense of direction and tie together areas on the map where in some cases people would feel to lost

5. Many can be completed while just doing events in the same areas as the heart you also can trigger many DEs while doing heart tasks which end up completing the heart anyway

6. Many hearts have fun mechanics tied to them like using differn't weapons with special abilities to capture or kill things or have a simple snowball fight with some kids for a change of pace

sure there's more just the ones off the top of my head

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Today is the 2nd of march.

I've done 82 events since the 1st of march.

Not set foot in Orr.

One event gives 7% of the XP you need to level after level 15. Gives much more before level 15.

Hearts give 8% vs the 7% of the DE by the way.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Today is the 2nd of march.

I've done 82 events since the 1st of march.

Not set foot in Orr.

One event gives 7% of the XP you need to level after level 15. Gives much more before level 15.

Hearts give 8% vs the 7% of the DE by the way.

Wow 82 events since the beginning of the month. To be honest I think I hit 100 events (and a lot of that are from Orr and WvW) last month on about the 20th Feb but then again I've been playing extremely casually as I don't have time to play more than 7 hours a week :(

Anyways I wasn't able to level up my char without doing quite a few hearts. And I craft a lot and also because I play only for about an hour a day (in the last 3-4 weeks) I get a large part of my xp gain for the day from daily achievements.

I wasn't aware there was so much "hidden" lore. Next time when I play I will look harder for it :) I don't mind that much how it is delivered as long as it is there.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I am not enjoying the game as it's the only RPG/MMORPG I am playing at the moment and which I will probably play for the foreseeable future but I just feel that hearts could do with more story/lore behind them. Also I really like this idea of having quests or some other mechanic to deliver stories/lore in the major cities. I would also like to see all those activities ArenaNet talked about. I think having 2-3 activities per major city and some quest chains which tell a story will really make those places really exciting and these will encourage people to go to major cities other than LA.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.