Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Crafting and the Economy

2»

Comments

• AstrinaAstrina Member UncommonPosts: 46

While I truly appreciate a well designed auction house, I also appreciate player shops. The issue with the old version of FF was the LOCATION of those shops as well as the difficulty in finding what you needed. 

Crafting is a huge draw for some people as well as the merchanting.  I am very glad to see that the developers are starting to notice that the quality of how it's done and how it's sold does matter to the players.

Best crafting game? A Tale in the Desert (but it's not a standard style of game). No main stream developer has done anything close to the quality of crafting in that game. I hope one day, they do.

• BegaTasyBegaTasy Member UncommonPosts: 32

The Crafting system reminds me of a very simplified verison of Vanguards. Which I have to say easily comes out second place to arguably best of all times Daoc system. With SWG a close third. It is very simple, an thats a little sad to me as I tend to like diversity an difficulty to stop the wow suystem of Zero economy. But eh nothign I say can change anytthing so gotta accept what we are given :).

Sadly wow seems to be the bvenchmark these days. As horrible as that is, they seem to have forgotten about the true MMO's pre wow. But anyway, I am geting off point :).

The videos look really nice, an I cant wait to see them in HD on my 1440htz screens.I havent played FF since the days of FFXi an I loved playing with JP players, who were so friendly ocne they found out I wasnt American (long story best left off here).I am dieing to play the new one an see if any of the oldschool are still around:).

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by BegaTasy

The Crafting system reminds me of a very simplified verison of Vanguards. Which I have to say easily comes out second place to arguably best of all times Daoc system. With SWG a close third. It is very simple, an thats a little sad to me as I tend to like diversity an difficulty to stop the wow suystem of Zero economy. But eh nothign I say can change anytthing so gotta accept what we are given :).

Sadly wow seems to be the bvenchmark these days. As horrible as that is, they seem to have forgotten about the true MMO's pre wow. But anyway, I am geting off point :).

The videos look really nice, an I cant wait to see them in HD on my 1440htz screens.I havent played FF since the days of FFXi an I loved playing with JP players, who were so friendly ocne they found out I wasnt American (long story best left off here).I am dieing to play the new one an see if any of the oldschool are still around:).

I think most of the challenge in crafting in ARR will be making high-quality versions of the high level equipment.

Originally posted by nbtscan
    Originally posted by BegaTasy

I think most of the challenge in crafting in ARR will be making high-quality versions of the high level equipment.

Yes you are probably right, I know in Vanguard it was pure hell to consistantly turn out high qual gear. It does look fun though. I generally end up being a fulltime crafter in most MMO's. Though for some reason in FF games I am always a Whm (Cant wait to dust off my /Taru Taru dance) :D

I have a question on crafting etc for anyone that maybe able to answer (within the rules). Having not played FF games since FFXI many years ago, I was always frustrated (specially as a Whm) at having to grind for 2 days, to afford to buy a piec e of gear I needed, then join a power group for a day/hours then go back to grinding silk for cash to afford another piece of gear because I had leveled up again. It got to point I was playing catch up constantly, an falling behind the curve. Because after a point even as a Whym, the JP power groups just wouldnt take me because my gear was substandard.

I dont have an issue with grinding because it can be fun, but I am hoping Crafted gear will fill that void  so you are not blocked from joining groups, all because of lacking a piece of gear.

This was especially prevalent in places like Dunes, or that jungle island ???.... (FFXI) where even a good Whm could get crushed if his gear wasnt up to speed. How was the system in FFXIV for crafted v drops, and group invites. or speculating.... what do people see as happening in the world reborn ?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i know im way off topic but.... I really hope Squenix change the sounds of the steps. Walking and running sounds arent anywhere near the sounds of actual steps. Little details like that can make a big difference immersion wise.

• MarzAttakzMarzAttakz Member Posts: 17

I have to agree with the commenters supporting Eve Online's model (excluding managing a player owned structure). While a global AH is quick and handy there is zero community involvement, zero incentive to brand yourself a premium crafter and zero opportunity to be recognised as a shrewd trader. The system is open to market manipulation by players with the most capitol, and yes this happened in Eve but was curtailed by sheer volume of goods traded.

I'm all for a system that is easy to use and convenient but feel that the recent Auction House implementations in games like Diablo III and Guild Wars 2 are insufficient and stall-based economies whether logged-in or afk as seen in Age of Wushu are just as inefficient.