Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA is really outdoing themselves!

Comments

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by BlueTiger33

I pray that no company lets a person get from level 1 to max level without paying a cent. These people will then see no worth in putting money up since they can get it freely anyhow.

Then those type of people will flock to the game since it takes nothing out of pocket for them. Then it will become a rabbit hole.

While good honest gamers will be fitting the bill to allow them to pay...better give us an advantage over those who pay nothing to play...end of story.

World of Tanks (around 20 mil players active with 40 mil registered) tier 1->10, League of Legends, all champions can be unlocked for free is also the most popular MOBA in existence, Star Trek Online: Went free 2 play, population exploded, all content is unlockable for free players, game now turning a tidy profit for Cryptic, need I continue dear sir?

The first two games started out in a F2P model. STO got bought out by PW (who is known for requiring cash shop for endgame) who starts all their game in F2P model. If a good quality game goes from P2P/B2P to F2P that's what I'm talking about in hoping it never happens.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I pray that no company lets a person get from level 1 to max level without paying a cent. These people will then see no worth in putting money up since they can get it freely anyhow.

Then those type of people will flock to the game since it takes nothing out of pocket for them. Then it will become a rabbit hole.

While good honest gamers will be fitting the bill to allow them to pay...better give us an advantage over those who pay nothing to play...end of story.

World of Tanks (around 20 mil players active with 40 mil registered) tier 1->10, League of Legends, all champions can be unlocked for free is also the most popular MOBA in existence, Star Trek Online: Went free 2 play, population exploded, all content is unlockable for free players, game now turning a tidy profit for Cryptic, need I continue dear sir?

The first two games started out in a F2P model. STO got bought out by PW (who is known for requiring cash shop for endgame) who starts all their game in F2P model. If a good quality game goes from P2P/B2P to F2P that's what I'm talking about in hoping it never happens.

Istaria lets you get every single level and every single class in the game all free.  Only restrictions are limited vending ability, can't own a plot and must play as a human.

Edit - while EQ2 has a number of restrictions for f2p, I don't think level is one of them.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I hope one day all games get a F2P system similar to STOs because it is fair and balanced as you never have to pay a cent. An alternative to also help with butthurt people is to add in premium subs to that system giving you double experience (though not gold) and a sub option which you could also pay with cash shop currency, currency you could also trade to free players in exchange for items, gold, tokens, w/e.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

There are at least 3 options:

1. Continue playing games from EA.
    2. Boycott games from EA.
    3. Buy EA stocks with voting rights and try asserting some influence to alter their business practices (one way or another).

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    -revokes your breeding rights- say what now? you're gonna blame the current trend of quality in MMOs to F2P? Maybe WoW was good before F2P (it wasn't), maybe SWTOR woulda been better in people's eyes if it didn't have free 2 play competition (it wouldn't have), maybe just maybe so many good niche games would've closed down if F2P woulda just stopped in asia! (DDO, AoC, STO, Neverwinter Online probably would've never gotten made, World of Tanks would've stayed in Russia, War Thunder would've never gotten made,  Wurm Online would've not been made, Age of Wushu woulda stayed in the east, so would've ArcheAge, etc, do I make my point?).

YAY I DONT HAVE TO BREED ANYMORE

say what ya want i have stated it several time before i prefer P2P over F2P for several reasons if ya dont like it, fine but its what i prefer and im not going to change my mind or ever understand the preference for cash shop games. and while i have tried to cut back on my argueing over it, i find it hard to resist responding to people who  say P2P is for retards only.

P.S. you do know telling me i cant breed anymore because i prefer P2P is a direct contradiction of why you said i should breed in the first place right?

Never implied you were retarded for your preferences and I revoked your rights for borked logic :P you can't blame F2P for the entitlement rampant MMOs these days because it pre-dates the rise of F2Ps, true most F2Ps are casual because they're more sensitive to entitle players (if they're not happy they don't pay) but implying that F2Ps are to blame somehow for the trend towards easier, shallower MMOs is wrong, it's the entitlement of a vocal minority of players + the greed of some/most publishers and/or developers.

actully meant the person i responded to earlyier on the retarded bit,

and i do beleave F2P cash shop games is more then a partical blame in recent decline in MMO quality as a whole, but im would rather not go into it really because iv been through this argument to many time now and i only have two solid facts anyone can agree on for my troubles

1. im sick of this argument

2. people are NEVER going to stop argueing about F2P vs P2P

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

-revokes your breeding rights- say what now? you're gonna blame the current trend of quality in MMOs to F2P? Maybe WoW was good before F2P (it wasn't), maybe SWTOR woulda been better in people's eyes if it didn't have free 2 play competition (it wouldn't have), maybe just maybe so many good niche games would've closed down if F2P woulda just stopped in asia! (DDO, AoC, STO, Neverwinter Online probably would've never gotten made, World of Tanks would've stayed in Russia, War Thunder would've never gotten made,  Wurm Online would've not been made, Age of Wushu woulda stayed in the east, so would've ArcheAge, etc, do I make my point?).

say what ya want i have stated it several time before i prefer P2P over F2P for several reasons if ya dont like it, fine but its what i prefer and im not going to change my mind or ever understand the preference for cash shop games. and while i have tried to cut back on my argueing over it, i find it hard to resist responding to people who  say P2P is for retards only.

P.S. you do know telling me i cant breed anymore because i prefer P2P is a direct contradiction of why you said i should breed in the first place right?

Never implied you were retarded for your preferences and I revoked your rights for borked logic :P you can't blame F2P for the entitlement rampant MMOs these days because it pre-dates the rise of F2Ps, true most F2Ps are casual because they're more sensitive to entitle players (if they're not happy they don't pay) but implying that F2Ps are to blame somehow for the trend towards easier, shallower MMOs is wrong, it's the entitlement of a vocal minority of players + the greed of some/most publishers and/or developers.

and i do beleave F2P cash shop games is more then a partical blame in recent decline in MMO quality as a whole, but im would rather not go into it really because iv been through this argument to many time now and i only have two solid facts anyone can agree on for my troubles

Hope the trend and the gradual evolution of F2P to its true potential changes your mind but that needs publishers to be less greedy and yeah.... EA...Activision...etc...

I hope one day all games get a F2P system similar to STOs because it is fair and balanced as you never have to pay a cent. An alternative to also help with butthurt people is to add in premium subs to that system giving you double experience (though not gold) and a sub option which you could also pay with cash shop currency, currency you could also trade to free players in exchange for items, gold, tokens, w/e.

Funny, cause I'd be looking for increased exp with a slight increase in gold generation.

My Blog

Hope the trend and the gradual evolution of F2P to its true potential changes your mind but that needs publishers to be less greedy and yeah.... EA...Activision...etc...

In a time of a recession? Not going to happen.

My Blog
    Originally posted by theAsna

There are at least 3 options:

1. Continue playing games from EA.
    2. Boycott games from EA.
    3. Buy EA stocks with voting rights and try asserting some influence to alter their business practices (one way or another).

LOL all that $$ to be one vote in a hundred?

My Blog
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I still remember playing Zork by EA. Sad to see times have come to this. The only F2P model I support is a free trial. I.e., let players level up to 5. If company wants microtransactions, they can offer subscriptions by the day and week (in addition to month or year).

Anything else is simply the company trying so sap as much money as possible from players with addictive/compulsive personalities. You think it's bad now, just wait. Pretty soon they won't even deny being P2W.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Funny, cause I'd be looking for increased exp with a slight increase in gold generation.

Then you wouldn't have a reason to trade with other players, don't get me wrong if there was item decay with full item destruction and more such gold sinks around I'd be for +xp/gold for a premium account but in a regular themepark game you really don't need the gold unless you wanna go bling bling in which case you hit the first hook of F2P games: customization either takes time (to trade for the cash shop items for it) or money.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Worst decision ever. And given this is EA, that's saying something.

You know, years and years ago here in Germany we had to pay telephone bills by call and by minute. Phone was expensive and internet was for the rich. Then came flat-rate: pay one time, get it all. THAT was progress.

Same with games, just it's reversed. Once we had the affordable and fair flatrate payment. Once paid, you get all inside the box. Now the box is more a teaser, and appetizer and you have to buy the rest of the game extra. So the same content you got before for 40 bucks now you pay 200.

EA just fired itself on the "DO NOT BUY" list. Not that I care, EA games have mostly been uninteresting for me these days anyway.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

One day this will turn on the freepers.  Enjoy all the freeloading now, but one day even you will be paying.

Why? It is not like video games are the only entertainment out there.

If there is such a day, which i very much doubt, i can simply decide to do something else for fun.

Originally posted by greenreen

Somebody likes F2P. Is this not exhausting - someone ought to be paying you if they aren't. This is your post history on F2P proselytizing for one day Dihoru. Understand, I'm not judging as in telling you to stop (as if I have that control) just noting that this is a topic that hits you deep to talk about it this much and to repeat it so often. This is your 'HOT' topic huh.

2/28/13 3:24:18 PM
    2/28/13 3:09:55 PM
    2/28/13 3:02:54 PM
    2/28/13 2:47:02 PM
    2/28/13 2:37:28 PM
    2/28/13 2:01:13 PM
    2/28/13 1:55:32 PM
    2/28/13 1:53:01 PM
    2/28/13 1:45:57 PM
    2/28/13 1:41:58 PM
    2/28/13 1:35:48 PM
    2/28/13 12:30:51 PM
    2/28/13 12:21:15 PM
    2/28/13 12:15:22 PM
    2/28/13 12:00:30 PM
    2/28/13 11:59:16 AM
    2/28/13 10:52:55 AM
    2/28/13 10:12:13 AM
    2/28/13 9:58:08 AM
    2/28/13 9:21:19 AM
    2/28/13 8:59:43 AM

If I saw any logic in the critique (or what counts as it), any objective arguments or Hell a majority of opinions which aren't based on retarded assumptions I'd give it a rest but as is all people are doing is beating on what they feel is the boogieman stealing their quality games and doing it very poorly (mostly), also while that post history is bad in my defense I've been spending quite a bit of today nursing a headache (the Fundamentals of Plasma physics is only so interesting to read before you start going cross-eyed at the math) so in between breaks I come here to vent in a more constructive way ^^.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Ahh, those damn entitlement freeloaders wanting free stuff, twisting the arm of the big generous companies. Oh how the plight of the working man suffers, so.

It's a terrible scene isn't folks? The lazy sitting around asking for free stuff while not pulling their own weight in the workplace? How reprehensible! How despicable a story.

Or it would be, if you listened to the propaganda and believed it to be truth.

The fact is folks, the COMPANIES went free to play out of desperation to save their failing game. Nobody asked for F2P games. The previous paradigm was you made a hit or you folded, and the customers accepted it. Seeing this, smaller companies came up with the idea to compete with the triple A titles and they were able to not only survive, but thrive. That's when the big boys noticed the amount of money and interest this business model was generating.

These little companies doing what they had to do to stay competitive had a large number of players willing to pay them so they can trade dollars for effort. Now who would trade dollars for effort? The freeloaders that have no job and plenty of time to earn their in-game rewards, or the working class folks with more money than time? But, how can those lazy jobless freeloaders spend what the working class folks already accuse them of not having? Of course there is a third class of people that could be at fault here, with so much money they don't really regard it's true value... but that's nonsense, right? We can't blame life's winners, how could they possibly ever be at fault... right?

Those folks will tell you the business model spread due to public interest, when the fact is, it spread because of greed. Wouldn't you turn your business model to one that seems to work when the conventional model has failed you? Of course you would, if you were smart. Would you do it just because your paying customers asked for it? Of course not, that's just what customers do, ask for things not in your company's best interests.

So, the argument goes; the lazy freeloader (the poor) are spending all this money (they don't have by the accusers own admission) to generate corporate interest in a business model that makes more money (that the freeloaders don't have) than the conventional subscription business model? This sounds completely plausible and logical to you... doesn't it?

I suppose one could blame a third class of people for throwing money around without any care to it's real value on ephemeral things like virtual hairdos and polygon pets, but then that would go against the propaganda machine they have built and paid for to cover their butts in another topic of discussion which is forbidden here on this forum. And that's the real reason this whole F2P thing is playing out like it is in this thread.

It's all because a group of people we can't discuss here are letting their kool aid spill over on to their gaming.

(and so many years after we watched a group of people told to hate another group of people over lies about how they were ruining the first group's way of life. You would think we would have learned to recognize self-destructive lying propaganda after all that.)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Kuinn

MMORPGS however are a different topic, getting better gear in MMORPGS by real money is a problem because you play with other people, that's P2W. I dont support pay to win so if it's obvious in some upcoming MMORPG that it will be a P2W then I most likely wont buy it.

Incorrect: P2W means getting items in the shop which are flat out better than anything available in game thus forcing you to pay to have any chance of winning, hence the term Pay 2 Win. If they put regular items in the cash shop then you get a short cut to those items but you can also earn them in-game normally, this isn't a P2W game, this is a time spent vs money spent F2P system (which do you value more your money or your time).

Alright, makes sense I guess, but my point however were more on the singleplayer vs. mmorpg part. I mean if I can buy weapons from Deadspace 3 cash shop it does not matter since I dont even want to do that and it does not block content from me, so there's not really any downsides basically.

However if people can buy gear from mmorpg cash shop it has a direct result on the player base, others have to work harder while someone else just clicks a button, in an environment where other players are a huge part of the whole experience, unlike in singleplayer games.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

This is my fear with F2P games.

See, F2P games have a whole boatload of cheerleaders, people who...fall into two categories.  People who cant afford to pay for gaming, and people who like to pay to stomp players.

This F2P movement is a double edged sword.  Yeah more games you can play without paying...yet ever single F2P game is full of player complaints about the cash shop..

I knew it wouldnt be too long before major game studios figured out they could milk their customers for way more money than a $50 box and $15 a month.  Now youll get founder packs, $15 month premium, and a "skys the limit" cash shop.

Free players, as usual, will get the shaft, which is fine by me since they are not supporting the game.  Look to the future of games that can run you hundreds a month to stay competative, where content patches are rare and the typical patch includes new cash shop item, which is the focus since thats where their revenue comes from.

Oh and as always the bait and switch cash shop.  Notice how many cash shops are fair at launch, and after a few months, or a year...slowly morph into a pay to win shop with ridiculously expensive cash shop currency.

I think down the road, if this really does take off...a lot of people are going to look back and wish they had some new games that were as cheap to compete in as a p2p game use to be.

Its not just EA who figured this out...look to another loved studio, SOE, to start pumping out cash shop games in the future...More will follow.

So rejoice F2P players, looks like the future is how you want it...lots of games you dont have to pay for, that are free to complain about how paying players stomp you...and for paying players...free to look back at your competative few months of play and go...damn...why did i spend $500 on a game...

Not to mention, nothing pisses me off more than spending money on a game and not getting the whole damn game...if i pay i want to be on the same level field as everyone else...i dont want to pay $100 to be average...well i guess because right now i have a choice to pay monthly and not worry about wallet wars.

• AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32

This may not help their PR, but I for one find Micro Transactions to be quite effective.

I personally don't mind or like small transactions for cool, fun stuff.  It does not cause the same knee jerk rejection as full price for something I don't whole heartedly desire. The most effective way I would go for entertainment pricing is have BTP with a 30 dollar maximum upfront cost with a strong micro transaction system built in. As long as I don't have to buy things that are part of core functionality like run speed, hotkeys, etc. I'm gold.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

It's only going to get worse, and there's no reason to be angry with them.

I watched people beg Valve for a way to buy the cosmetic items a while back. You might say, "They were clearly shills!" But that's irrelevant now, as their opening up to that was a huge success.

There's a small % of people that will simply throw thousands of dollars away for these things, simply because, "I'll make more LOL."

And there's the larger in between and not-so-extreme where, "it's a little bit here and there, no biggie!"

Personally, I'll shrug and ignore them. Let them spend as they wish, and when the hobby turns to where I can't enjoy it anymore unless I accept the mentality, I'll simply find another hobby.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

It's only going to get worse, and there's no reason to be angry with them.

I watched people beg Valve for a way to buy the cosmetic items a while back. You might say, "They were clearly shills!" But that's irrelevant now, as their opening up to that was a huge success.

There's a small % of people that will simply throw thousands of dollars away for these things, simply because, "I'll make more LOL."

And there's the larger in between and not-so-extreme where, "it's a little bit here and there, no biggie!"

Personally, I'll shrug and ignore them. Let them spend as they wish, and when the hobby turns to where I can't enjoy it anymore unless I accept the mentality, I'll simply find another hobby.

Its very naive to think that a cash shop model would only sell cosmetics and non essential items indefinately...when they could make a fist full of money slowly implimenting advantages into the cash shop.

To boot, most games that are made specifically to be cash shop games program in a bunch of fustrations that can be solved with spending money.

Or for $15 a month i can get all that in game and never need to worry about my competition out spending me.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Or for $15 a month i can get all that in game and never need to worry about my competition out spending me.

Of course they can outspend in time.

And there is no "competition" in pve.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Alright, makes sense I guess, but my point however were more on the singleplayer vs. mmorpg part. I mean if I can buy weapons from Deadspace 3 cash shop it does not matter since I dont even want to do that and it does not block content from me, so there's not really any downsides basically.

However if people can buy gear from mmorpg cash shop it has a direct result on the player base, others have to work harder while someone else just clicks a button, in an environment where other players are a huge part of the whole experience, unlike in singleplayer games.

Just play PvE MMORPG. You don't have to "work harder". You just play to have fun. If someone has a better sword, as long as it is not pvp, why would you care if he got it from killing a boss, or paying $10?

Originally posted by Crunchy222

So rejoice F2P players, looks like the future is how you want it...lots of games you dont have to pay for, that are free to complain about how paying players stomp you...and for paying players...free to look back at your competative few months of play and go...damn...why did i spend $500 on a game...

Yeh .. i rejoice. And the future is already here. There are already lots of games i don't have to pay for.

And complain about what? I play mostly pve games .. no paying player is going to stomp here .. that gameplay is just not there.

LIfe is good. In fact, there is more than free content i have time for.

• KnutCupKnutCup Member UncommonPosts: 21

To me, EA can do whatever it is they want to, I HATE ORIGIN, I will not load it, so, whatever...

EA gets zero of my money.