Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA is really outdoing themselves!

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Acidon

Precisely.  Some saw this as the down side to this path, some just saw "FREE FREE FREE".  

Well folks, to those that haven't learned this yet, nothing in life is free.

This is what happens when the global masses invade the genre.  Go ahead, ban me again.  I don't care.  This seriously pisses me off.

Nothing in life is free, true you can opt to work for it or pay for it as for "the global masses invading the genre" did you ever think that big publishers/developers want big bucks? no? then go sit your ass down in an econ 101 class or alternatively: enjoy games from smaller publishers/devs who have the balls to inovate because they don't care for big bucks.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Everyone wanted F2P, and this is the result.  It's sad, but you reap what you sow.

people wont understand, they will just keep crying for free things.

some things never change.

NOTHING BUT DEATH COMES FOR FREE. get used to it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm old fashioned, I like a subscription with my games...there's only one downside to a subscription game, and that's the subscription.  The bonuses of a subscription game more than make up for that though lol.

If you were truly old-fashioned you'd be like "I like F2P" and cite classic F2P shareware titles like Doom and Wolf3D where they sold you the levels after letting you play the first part of the game for free.

im confused as i have a orriginal copy of wolf3d from when it forst came out and it came with everything i never had to purchase any additinal anything

You either pirated it, or didn't realize the 9 levels you had weren't all Wolf3D was.

Or you bought the whole game because I have the same copy he does with every campaign.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Precisely.  Some saw this as the down side to this path, some just saw "FREE FREE FREE".  

This is what happens when the global masses invade the genre.  Go ahead, ban me again.  I don't care.  This seriously pisses me off.

Nothing in life is free, true you can opt to work for it or pay for it as for "the global masses invading the genre" did you ever think that big publishers/developers want big bucks? no? then go sit your ass down in an econ 101 class or alternatively: enjoy games from smaller publishers/devs who have the balls to inovate because they don't care for big bucks.

[mod edit]

FYI, if the "masses" hadn't clamored toward this shift in monetization, we would not be here.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Wighty

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse!

Electronic Arts during a Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference stating that the company is so pleased with its forays into the world of microtransactions, that they are bringing the support for these in-house, and that "all" their future games will feature microtransactions.

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43388/EA-taking-microtransactions-in-house

Just goes to show you that this is all just a business and you will be nickel and dimed to death...  While this may pertain to single player and co-op style games, EA also has a host of MMO's. This is why I support Sub style games and independent developers

Everyone wanted F2P, and this is the result.  It's sad, but you reap what you sow.

^This

I'll gladly pay my 9$ a month (6th month sub plan) for access to all the content P2P games have to offer

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

You can't be banned for calmly posting something wrong. (Why you're wrong: Free is free to 97% of the playerbase.)

If people could get banned just for being wrong, there wouldn't be many posters around.  Bans only happen for offensive things.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    cant see the diffrence between a cash shop in P2P MMOs, and a cash shop in a singleplayer game....hate that cash shops have a place in P2P MMOs and have quitted or not bought a MMO because of a cash shop - Id expect it to be rare....so welcome to the future of single player games.

You can't be banned for calmly posting something wrong. (Why you're wrong: Free is free to 97% of the playerbase.)

If people could get banned just for being wrong, there wouldn't be many posters around.  Bans only happen for offensive things.

Actually here you get reported more for expressing opinion than you do for posting something offensive.

This thread reminds me of the Freedom isn't Free song from Team America. God that movie was awful.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Actually here you get reported more for expressing opinion than you do for posting something offensive.

This thread reminds me of the Freedom isn't Free song from Team America. God that movie was awful.

Actually I've been posting my opinion quite frequently, I only got banned a few times, and those times were always when I said something like so: opinion+facts to backup the argument+calling someone a narrowminded child/douche/etc for something he/she said (douche doesn't get you banned as often, child does though for some reason).

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Its a sad day when SOE is the company getting f2p right and everyone else is just out to nickel and dime you.  Yes SOEs cash shop prices are stupid for eq2 and eq but planetside 2 is truly f2p and the prices are perfect and EQ Next will be the same way and so will all future SOE releases.  No B2P no P2W truly F2P no content restrictions whatsoever.
    Originally posted by William12
    Its a sad day when SOE is the company getting f2p right and everyone else is just out to nickel and dime you.  Yes SOEs cash shop prices are stupid for eq2 and eq but planetside 2 is truly f2p and the prices are perfect and EQ Next will be the same way and so will all future SOE releases.  No B2P no P2W truly F2P no content restrictions whatsoever.

Try PWE/Cryptic's stuff as well, their F2P system is also fair (you get ships in STO from the cash shop but they're level locked and they're not better than other in-game ships and you can earn cash shop currency via in-game trading).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Quenchster
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Just goes to show you that this is all just a business and you will be nickel and dimed to death...  While this may pertain to single player and co-op style games, EA also has a host of MMO's. This is why I support Sub style games and independent developers

I dont like EA for all their butchering of formerly good studios and some games too, but if they do the microtransactions like they did in Deadspace 3 then I dont really care. You dont need any of the DS3 micro-purchases to get the full experience of the game, so whatever.

You should care. Think about what could happen to cheat codes. Where we enter cheat codes to obtain items might be replaced by where we need to punch in our credit card info.

I dont use cheat codes :)

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I'm sorry but if you're still buying EA games in 2013 the problem is you. They have terrible business practices and make horribly bad games to boot

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if their game boxes were made out of recycled puppy and kitten parts at this point

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Yep, free is an illusion unless you're a celebrity.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Because paying EA  or certain other publisher 15$ extra a month for nothing but mere access to your game, certainly stops them trying to milk your money anyways in the bluntest ways possible.

/sarcasm off

not to mention the vast increase in standard quality of MMOs since F2P became the norm, with both AAA and lesser titles

/sarcasm off

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828
    EA...embracing masochism and enjoying sadism.
  • QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I dont like EA for all their butchering of formerly good studios and some games too, but if they do the microtransactions like they did in Deadspace 3 then I dont really care. You dont need any of the DS3 micro-purchases to get the full experience of the game, so whatever.

You should care. Think about what could happen to cheat codes. Where we enter cheat codes to obtain items might be replaced by where we need to punch in our credit card info.

But doesn't the money they earn by selling items to players give EA a reason to make the items harder to find in their games? We see this behaviour in some MMORPGs and multiplayer games with selling items. They are bound to price gouge singleplayer game items eventually.

Because paying EA  or certain other publisher 15$ extra a month for nothing but mere access to your game, certainly stops them trying to milk your money anyways in the bluntest ways possible.

/sarcasm off

not to mention the vast increase in standard quality of MMOs since F2P became the norm, with both AAA and lesser titles

/sarcasm off

-revokes your breeding rights- say what now? you're gonna blame the current trend of quality in MMOs to F2P? Maybe WoW was good before F2P (it wasn't), maybe SWTOR woulda been better in people's eyes if it didn't have free 2 play competition (it wouldn't have), maybe just maybe so many good niche games would've closed down if F2P woulda just stopped in asia! (DDO, AoC, STO, Neverwinter Online probably would've never gotten made, World of Tanks would've stayed in Russia, War Thunder would've never gotten made,  Wurm Online would've not been made, Age of Wushu woulda stayed in the east, so would've ArcheAge, etc, do I make my point?).

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

/sarcasm off

/sarcasm off

I haven't noticed any difference in quality between most p2p and f2p games.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    -revokes your breeding rights- say what now? you're gonna blame the current trend of quality in MMOs to F2P? Maybe WoW was good before F2P (it wasn't), maybe SWTOR woulda been better in people's eyes if it didn't have free 2 play competition (it wouldn't have), maybe just maybe so many good niche games would've closed down if F2P woulda just stopped in asia! (DDO, AoC, STO, Neverwinter Online probably would've never gotten made, World of Tanks would've stayed in Russia, War Thunder would've never gotten made,  Wurm Online would've not been made, Age of Wushu woulda stayed in the east, so would've ArcheAge, etc, do I make my point?).

YAY I DONT HAVE TO BREED ANYMORE

say what ya want i have stated it several time before i prefer P2P over F2P for several reasons if ya dont like it, fine but its what i prefer and im not going to change my mind or ever understand the preference for cash shop games. and while i have tried to cut back on my argueing over it, i find it hard to resist responding to people who  say P2P is for retards only.

P.S. you do know telling me i cant breed anymore because i prefer P2P is a direct contradiction of why you said i should breed in the first place right?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

/sarcasm off

/sarcasm off

So this post pretty much confirms F2P is responsible for most of the crap we have been forcefed that has become industry standard. Coolio.

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

I pray that no company lets a person get from level 1 to max level without paying a cent. These people will then see no worth in putting money up since they can get it freely anyhow.

Then those type of people will flock to the game since it takes nothing out of pocket for them. Then it will become a rabbit hole.

While good honest gamers will be fitting the bill to allow them to pay...better give us an advantage over those who pay nothing to play...end of story.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog

YAY I DONT HAVE TO BREED ANYMORE

say what ya want i have stated it several time before i prefer P2P over F2P for several reasons if ya dont like it, fine but its what i prefer and im not going to change my mind or ever understand the preference for cash shop games. and while i have tried to cut back on my argueing over it, i find it hard to resist responding to people who  say P2P is for retards only.

P.S. you do know telling me i cant breed anymore because i prefer P2P is a direct contradiction of why you said i should breed in the first place right?

Never implied you were retarded for your preferences and I revoked your rights for borked logic :P you can't blame F2P for the entitlement rampant MMOs these days because it pre-dates the rise of F2Ps, true most F2Ps are casual because they're more sensitive to entitle players (if they're not happy they don't pay) but implying that F2Ps are to blame somehow for the trend towards easier, shallower MMOs is wrong, it's the entitlement of a vocal minority of players + the greed of some/most publishers and/or developers.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

But doesn't the money they earn by selling items to players give EA a reason to make the items harder to find in their games? We see this behaviour in some MMORPGs and multiplayer games with selling items. They are bound to price gouge singleplayer game items eventually.

Technically you get better weapons in DS3 a lot faster if you spend money in micro-transactions, but it does not bother me because the game just becomes piss easy then and I dont want that. The game is like it's meant to be when you dont put money in the cash shop, so it's fine. It would bother me if they gated content from me and asked me to pay more to get access to the full game, if this ever happens mark my words I will not buy that game.

MMORPGS however are a different topic, getting better gear in MMORPGS by real money is a problem because you play with other people, that's P2W. I dont support pay to win so if it's obvious in some upcoming MMORPG that it will be a P2W then I most likely wont buy it.

So when we are talking about singleplayer games, if they do it like they did with DS3 I dont care since it does not affect my gameplay in any negative way and I'm not missing any content in the game.

Originally posted by BlueTiger33

I pray that no company lets a person get from level 1 to max level without paying a cent. These people will then see no worth in putting money up since they can get it freely anyhow.

Then those type of people will flock to the game since it takes nothing out of pocket for them. Then it will become a rabbit hole.

While good honest gamers will be fitting the bill to allow them to pay...better give us an advantage over those who pay nothing to play...end of story.

World of Tanks (around 20 mil players active with 40 mil registered) tier 1->10, League of Legends, all champions can be unlocked for free is also the most popular MOBA in existence, Star Trek Online: Went free 2 play, population exploded, all content is unlockable for free players, game now turning a tidy profit for Cryptic, need I continue dear sir?

MMORPGS however are a different topic, getting better gear in MMORPGS by real money is a problem because you play with other people, that's P2W. I dont support pay to win so if it's obvious in some upcoming MMORPG that it will be a P2W then I most likely wont buy it.

Incorrect: P2W means getting items in the shop which are flat out better than anything available in game thus forcing you to pay to have any chance of winning, hence the term Pay 2 Win. If they put regular items in the cash shop then you get a short cut to those items but you can also earn them in-game normally, this isn't a P2W game, this is a time spent vs money spent F2P system (which do you value more your money or your time).