Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA is really outdoing themselves!

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse!

Electronic Arts during a Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference stating that the company is so pleased with its forays into the world of microtransactions, that they are bringing the support for these in-house, and that "all" their future games will feature microtransactions.

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43388/EA-taking-microtransactions-in-house

Just goes to show you that this is all just a business and you will be nickel and dimed to death...  While this may pertain to single player and co-op style games, EA also has a host of MMO's. This is why I support Sub style games and independent developers

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Wighty

Electronic Arts during a Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference stating that the company is so pleased with its forays into the world of microtransactions, that they are bringing the support for these in-house, and that "all" their future games will feature microtransactions.

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen. "And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

Just goes to show you that this is all just a business and you will be nickel and dimed to death...  While this may pertain to single player and co-op style games, EA also has a host of MMO's. This is why I support Sub style games and independent developers

Everyone wanted F2P, and this is the result.  It's sad, but you reap what you sow.

You make me like charity

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Great news :)   

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Everyone wanted F2P, and this is the result.  It's sad, but you reap what you sow.

This is nothing like free to play. this is buying a game and paying more to unlock content that came on a disk you already purchased.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Although I'm no fan of the cash shop model, this announcement appears to be more about designing one cash shop to be used across the whole company instead of reinventing the wheel in each seperate cash-shop-driven game..
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I agree, and demonstrates everything that is wrong with EA, they are meant to be passionate about entertainment and innovation to find new ways to entertain us, instead they think building a generic cash shop module they can plug and play to make better profits is worthy news.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Btk306Btk306 Member Posts: 10
    EA can burn in hell.
  • NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

I remember back in the day, when most of the subcribers on here were in diapers.  When you bought a game, it included everything as it was and if you were lucky, they might throw out a sequel or an expasion to entertain someone who can't get enough of it.  Now everyone is so addicted to this idea of perpetual content releases, that they are willing to fork out hundreds of dollars for stuff that originally would have been standard content.

To make one of my clever analogies.

It would be like buying the frame to a new car, then forking over thousands of dollars every month to obtain all of the pieces.  Eventually if you keep paying them for years you'll have a whole car; but, by that point it'll be an outdated piece of junk.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

If there's a market they are going to find a way to exploit it. That's what businesses do.

Personally I dislike this busness practice so will not buy from companies that use it. For those that feel the same way yet still buy these games and DLC products, you have zero right to complain as you are only re-enforcing the reason companies find this practice appealing.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Not surprised, really.

The new Sim City has an always-on DRM, erm ,, to provide constant quality to our customers.

Well, not really.  To provide constant access to the cash-shop for new modules definitely, though!

Some people complain, while others succomb to their brainwashing, "This is the future!  Don't outdate yourself, get with the program!" .. /sigh.  Darn that EA and their PHD marketing & human psychology team.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Justin9820

This is nothing like free to play. this is buying a game and paying more to unlock content that came on a disk you already purchased.

No, it *is* F2P.  Look at SWtOR to get an idea of what EA wants out of cash shop and DLC stuff.  Where the content comes from is irrelevant these days, because they just want to sell you a stripped down basic version of a game, then sell you content that very well did get created along with the game, as well as find ways of offering you yet more in game chances to buy stuff while playing the game (such as dead space 3 and the crafting).

The F2P MMO model fits very much into that whole paradigm.

You make me like charity

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Makes me glad I returned my Sim City pre-order.

How ya like that micro-transaction EA?! image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yes. What i reap is free fun while whales subsidize my games. Sounds great to me.

Simple question I would love to ask ea, if an average game cost £40 I'm it's entirety to get access to everything a few years ago, how much would they (who have the benefits of economies of scale to reduce vista) like us to pay now. It's a scam.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Those comparing this to f2p are chewing their own faces off.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

I hate EA with a passion, but blame the cows being run in the farm.

"And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business." [mod edit]

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Nobadeeftw

It would be like buying the frame to a new car, then forking over thousands of dollars every month to obtain all of the pieces.  Eventually if you keep paying them for years you'll have a whole car; but, by that point it'll be an outdated piece of junk.

Perfect analogy. However, marketing being what it is, they can sell the frame by adding a nice sound system.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It was very irritating that Dead Space 3 had microtransactions, I completely forgot about that until after I had purchased it. Oh well at least they let you earn it in game still, I sure hope they still let you earn stuff in game as opposed to requiring you to purchase them. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Their even doing it in The Sims 3 with making Sim Point stuff stand out more and adding more sim point stuff.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Lol imagine if ea done street fighter. 1 attack type per fighter but hey you can go through to the end boss with that 1 move, and you consumers love to buy more attack moves right - what an amazing service we are providing!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Big difference between F2P and B2C (Buy to Cry), one's a legitimate payment model where people can choose how and when they pay, the other is a game you buy only to find chunks of your game are locked on the disk or cannot be enjoyed without x item bought off Origin usually in the form of DLC.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

If there's a market they are going to find a way to exploit it. That's what businesses do.

Personally I dislike this busness practice so will not buy from companies that use it. For those that feel the same way yet still buy these games and DLC products, you have zero right to complain as you are only re-enforcing the reason companies find this practice appealing.

This pretty much nails it.

If you dislike DLC - don't buy them, or even better yet don't buy games with them. Nothing shows a business your displeasure more than spending your money elsewhere.

Yep agree, example gw2, f2p - beyond bags in first week I've seen nothing else I want to buy and definitely not ned to buy. Ea approach would have you pay to unlock portals and zones.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Wighty

They wouldn't be doing this if people weren't paying for it.  It is just like gold sellers.  Those people would go out of business if people stopped buying.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Considering most of EA games are from the EA Sports franchise it will be only a matter of time before you have to pay to unlock teams or VIP players, or the core game only includes 100 baseballs before you have to pay for more. 

It will be interesting to see... The launch day DLC's were really the start of all this.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

for me: depends if it's vanity or p2w items.

if it's p2w I won't ever touch such a game, if it's vanity: who cares if some guy wants to look at his female char armor in a bought cloth pink armor. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"