Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes: Service Ending March 29th

Comments

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    And still, if  WAR went f2p today, i'd play it in a heartbeat. The art style, the unique classes full of character and the awesome ip alone is worth a download.
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by black_isle
    And still, if  WAR went f2p today, i'd play it in a heartbeat. The art style, the unique classes full of character and the awesome ip alone is worth a download.

Over time the classes have been more mirrored to the opposing faction. It isn't perfect but they retain some unique aspects. WAR is the reason for mountains of awesome concept art fleshing out Warhammer Fantasy and I think it translated well into the world. If it ever does go F2P against all shadows of doubt, maybe I will smash you on the field some day for the glory of Sigmar. :)

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Sad for the WoH players. Wish you all gals and guys the best.

F2P is a difficult subject for Warhammer online because it would attract people that have no idea what Warhammer Online AoR has become and which way Mythic has decieded to take for it.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by pmreeb23
    I'll put money down that Mythic/EA will announce Warhammer Online F2P within 2 months.

something tells me that before that they would close the game completely.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Can't say i'm surprised, the whole thing was just a bit odd.

Sadly i doubt it means anything for the MMO, they've been content letting it rot until now and i can't see that changing.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by achesoma
    I'm so not understanding why time was wasted on this project instead of simply fixing WAR.  It had so much potential yet so poorly executed with so many issues. 

Amen. I guess EA just tried to milk some more money with this title.

• BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The Answer to all of your questions can be summed up in two words: Electronic Arts.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by black_isle

WAR is actually a fun game, Wrath was not.  They should have spent the resources on continuing the development of WAR instead of trying to cash in on the MOBA craze.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Saw this coming, there hadn't been a serious update to the website since the beginning of the year. Sad to see, but with the limited developers and nil advertising budget.... In all honestly I expect them to make a return to the 3rd person MOBA later on, like they said this was a test of the waters imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Oh, and I'm still waiting for them to add Skaven to WAR. Then I'll return.

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Postal13
    Oh, and I'm still waiting for them to add Skaven to WAR. Then I'll return.

Skaven were added, just now how people wanted. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. Being a gutter runner was super fun and throwing allies onto walls as the rat ogre was awesome, especially when the ally didn't ask to be thrown.

The issue I took with it wasn't that they weren't full classes, but that they slapped the lore. WAR takes place in an alternate timeline in the franchise, this is happens even with Games Workshop stuff. However, it is still a slap in the face to even the alternate timeline. A witch hunter fighting alongside a skaven? The same ones that would burn down a town if they thought it would rid the world of a little chaos? They should have had skaven on destruction and other npcs for order, like the various mercenaries we see already modeled throughout the game.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by tawess
    at least they put together a nice swag-bag for WAR as a parting gift.

Not really...

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by christwood
    Bah, they should have just made Warhammer Online f2p instead of wasting funds on this garbage.

Agreed...I'd still be playing WAR if it were F2P, but now I've got GW2 :-).

• an0maly33an0maly33 Member Posts: 42
    Also had no idea this existed.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

This just pretty much proves Mark Jacobs right about mythic and EA from the get go anyways. You have a dying mmorpg , with very limited resouces , yet you use all your dev time and money , paychecks etc designing a new totally unrelated game that is free to play from the start and is not even a true mmorpg , just a lobby game to kill time when you are bored. This is why Rob Denton and the rest of the hasbins at EA and mythic deserve to just be put out of their misery.

They could of easily been working on warhammer online the last year and dark age of camelot , yet instead made a buggling lobby game that sucked to begin with and no one hardly played. Warhammer Online held a nice place in my heart for two years after release and seeing this is how EA and mythic spend their dev time and money making some other garbage unrelated to what they have makes me completely sick.

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I never heard of this as well. 

--- Razimus

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

EA has a couple MMO they could take F2P & make some money off for minimal investment, then plough some of that F2P cash into developing them, Ultima Online, Warhammer Online & DAoC could all quite realistically gain a new lease of life as F2P titles.

But this spin-off was a bad idea from the get go.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Good, maybe they'll go back to WAR, now, and actually make it into the game it was supposed to be in the first place.  The WAR they have now is BS of the highest order, a piss-poorly built WoW clone, it has nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, is NOT an MMORPG.  Though I understand that it will NOT mirror the tabletop RPG, nor do I expect it to, the least EA/Mythic could do is TRY to make it close.  Right now, it's a sham, it's junk, and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

EA/Mythic should be ashamed of themselves for what they've built.

• waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55
    That's why you never should buy/play EA's MMO's. In time they will shut them all down.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Tithenon
    Good, maybe they'll go back to WAR, now, and actually make it into the game it was supposed to be in the first place.  The WAR they have now is BS of the highest order, a piss-poorly built WoW clone, it has nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, is NOT an MMORPG.  Though I understand that it will NOT mirror the tabletop RPG, nor do I expect it to, the least EA/Mythic could do is TRY to make it close.  Right now, it's a sham, it's junk, and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

EA/Mythic should be ashamed of themselves for what they've built.

what you are asking for is impossible for the few devs left working at mythic to do anything with. Even if they poured cash into it made it free to play with a huge profit margin , they would still have  to move resources from bioware to mythic once again where they took mythic employees to bioware to begin with. This game will never ever see any sort of drastic changes made to it , hell even the devs that wrote the code are all gone and working for other companies now. You see this in every single hardware upgrade or patch they currently release , they break tons of crap and create more bugs because the ones creating things is not the same ones who wrote a lot of the tools to code in the game.

People here need to face the music mythic and DAOC , WAR , UO are all dead . Instead of working on mmorpgs they already own and could add in content expansions they release some ultima 4 remake for the ipad... that in itself speaks volumes of what mythic is now doing . DAOC WAR UO are all dead now and isnt much going to change that even if they were to convert to free to play , which I dont even think they really will because they have to create a cash shop and restrict game code and that takes a total rewrite of  A LOT of systems.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The time and resources they wasted making this crappy quick cash grab could have done miracles if they used it to improve WAR. But no, they always do it wrong then the worst happen. Good thing i was pretty sure this was going to happen and stepped away before wasting money. Sigh.....

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

WAR isnt even that great- i dont get why you  guys keep defending it. It was bugged and it run very bad on high end systems and even-well on all systems. Besides taht it had that wowish feeling i hate on mmos.

I predict that it wont take another 6 months till WAR goes f2p Even then it wont get such a big population. New shiny mmos will take the influx of mass players away from them.

• VulturnusVulturnus Member Posts: 36

Warhammer, Dungeons and Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars

Maybe you agree, maybe not but I think all these IP's deserve much better than thet got in terms of their conversion to the MMO bracket. Such a shame really because the IP is so very good.

Warhammer is for the the biggest disappointment even more so from someone who played DAoC. I mean the IP is well over 20 years old and rich as you can imagine. The MMO? My local game store had it on sale within months or release and now they can't give it away. Still have old boxes on the shelf under $8 and no one wants them.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Originally posted by pmreeb23
    I'll put money down that Mythic/EA will announce Warhammer Online F2P within 2 months.

something tells me that before that they would close the game completely.

Sadly this is my feeling as well. I would jump back in if it went F2P. Maybe(doubtfully) they fixed many of the glaring imbalances that they caused once it was released.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by exile01

WAR isnt even that great- i dont get why you  guys keep defending it. It was bugged and it run very bad on high end systems and even-well on all systems. Besides taht it had that wowish feeling i hate on mmos.

I predict that it wont take another 6 months till WAR goes f2p Even then it wont get such a big population. New shiny mmos will take the influx of mass players away from them.

that is why i posted my comment (the one right above yours). INstead of making that gargabe Warth of Heroes they should have taken the time and money to improve WAR. The WoW feel that you hate, others(like me) love. So that doesnt make it good or bad, its just preference.

I wish they make it f2p with sub option, i would play the hell out of my fire mage and sorcerer i left at the starting zone. The game as it is its not worth a sub, and apparently the WAR pride is too big... Even SWTOR went that route first.