Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have designed a game but...

seigardseigard Member Posts: 285 Uncommon
I really dont know where I can take it and who can actually create a game out of it. I got some amazing ideas of an rpg game which could be an mmo with some changes and I got a nice concept that most of the games lack these days which lures you inside the game. Are there any places I can take my ideas and show people if they are interested in doing stuff based on it?

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Salt Lake City, UTMember Posts: 1,314
    First place to start is the patent office. Trust me, any company you go to will try to steal your idea sooner than they try to hire you.
  • ScarfeScarfe londonMember Posts: 281
    Coming up with an idea is an infinitessimally small part of a games development, they are also ten a penny.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• seigardseigard Member Posts: 285 Uncommon

Yeah that is for sure the next thing I'll do once I actually guarantee I can make something out of it.

I showed samples of my stuff to my close friends and people say that it could be something really big, not just an rpg but also series of books and I'd rather have nice lore like warhammer or lord of the rings in a game than no story based, mindlessly pig slashing game.

The problem is I am not living in a place with game companies, not in UK or US.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Beverly Hills, CAMember Posts: 244 Uncommon
    deleted
  • GrahorGrahor aaaMember Posts: 828

>>I showed samples of my stuff to my close friends and people say that it could be something really big, not just an rpg but also series of books and<<

Listen, your friends will tell you those things because they don't want to hurt you. But your idea is worthless. I haven't seen it, but I see you: you don't understand the first thing about games' development, so your ideas in game development is completely worthless.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILMember Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    First place to start is the patent office. Trust me, any company you go to will try to steal your idea sooner than they try to hire you.

You can't patent an idea, as I understand it, without plans or prototype. I could be wrong, hardly an expert on patent law.

I would suggest publication (required for statement of copyright, established first ownership in the event of a dispute, plus a dated copyright claim, not hard, "©2013 YourName" is sufficient) Unforunately, you also can't copyright an idea (only a specific sequence of words, published document or image, for example).

Beyond the basics; consult legal advice, not gamers.

Originally posted by seigard
    not in UK or US.

In that case, ignore everything previous. Copyright and similar IP law is entirely jurisdictional, where it exists at all.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bliss14bliss14 eleva, WIMember Posts: 568 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grahor
    >>I showed samples of my stuff to my close friends and people say that it could be something really big, not just an rpg but also series of books and<<   Listen, your friends will tell you those things because they don't want to hurt you. But your idea is worthless. I haven't seen it, but I see you: you don't understand the first thing about games' development, so your ideas in game development is completely worthless.

People with low self-esteem seek to tear down others and their ideas.

Good luck OP. 

>>I showed samples of my stuff to my close friends and people say that it could be something really big, not just an rpg but also series of books and<<   Listen, your friends will tell you those things because they don't want to hurt you. But your idea is worthless. I haven't seen it, but I see you: you don't understand the first thing about games' development, so your ideas in game development is completely worthless.

you have no idea about what I have created and my friends, I asked it particularly to those who would be objective about it... Also its not just  a few ideas about a game, its everything, I even got the illustrations of characters to cities both on 3d and concept art, dont mistake me for a person that just made up something, I have been working on this for quite a time

Originally posted by bliss14

People with low self-esteem seek to tear down others and their ideas.

Good luck OP. 

Thank you

Trolls of this site seem to hate creative people

but then again, they are trolls what can you do

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by birdycephon

You can't patent an idea, as I understand it, without plans or prototype. I could be wrong, hardly an expert on patent law.

I would suggest publication (required for statement of copyright, established first ownership in the event of a dispute, plus a dated copyright claim, not hard, "©2013 YourName" is sufficient) Unforunately, you also can't copyright an idea (only a specific sequence of words, published document or image, for example).

Beyond the basics; consult legal advice, not gamers.

not in UK or US.

In that case, ignore everything previous. Copyright and similar IP law is entirely jurisdictional, where it exists at all.

I recently applied for patents and it is not an idea I should have mentioned that I actually have everything about the game but nothing coded, so think of it as the material and the script of a movie

I just hope I can make use of this, mmo market is already going bad in my opinon, I am thinking of losing the mmo part of the game if it gets the chance to work

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHMember Posts: 5,733 Uncommon

Don't say that.

while likely true, you might be wrong. No point in crushing him.

• OmnifishOmnifish LondonMember Posts: 616

Harsh but probably true.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that MMOs lack, 'ideas', and thats bullshit. Plenty of people with much more experience in the industry then you have ideas about what would make a great game/MMO.  Whats lacking is the people who can actually deliever on this, i.e. programming,coding, and synergy between game systems.

If your serious about pursuing anything then look into improving your skills in the areas I menioned so you could approach someone at a convention with a simple demo.  It might work out but expect to start at the bottom and move your way up in a company till you can then reveal your big ideas.

Noone, in any industry, trusts anyone with good intentions and if you get offened by anyone here pointing out the obvious then your clearly not thick skinned enough to pursue this.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• DihoruDihoru ConstantaMember Posts: 2,731

OP I got a suggestion for you: If you have a good idea, I mean a really good idea look up something like http://openrpgmaker.sourceforge.net/ , work on a prototype of your game on there squeezing as much of the mechanics as you can in there and using it start either recruiting people to turn it into a full blown game or making contacts to get it made, after you have a working prototype you could also give the Extra Credits guys a e-mail see what they think, they're generally very helpful with advice and maybe even improvements you could make.

If it is your dream to make your RPG do not stop easily, work on it on your own as best you can using dev tools like RPG maker (or its variations) and get out there with it (after you patent everything in it of course), get it know, god knows maybe one day you'll bring us a RPG as big as the Ultima or Mass Effect series :).

Addendum: Just as a side note, I never gave up on my dream and right now I am on the fast track to getting a PhD in physics, something no one in my entire extended family can claim ^^ and it is my dream to work in the field so I will never give up.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    OP I got a suggestion for you: If you have a good idea, I mean a really good idea look up something like http://openrpgmaker.sourceforge.net/ , work on a prototype of your game on there squeezing as much of the mechanics as you can in there and using it start either recruiting people to turn it into a full blown game or making contacts to get it made, after you have a working prototype you could also give the Extra Credits guys a e-mail see what they think, they're generally very helpful with advice and maybe even improvements you could make.   If it is your dream to make your RPG do not stop easily, work on it on your own as best you can using dev tools like RPG maker (or its variations) and get out there with it (after you patent everything in it of course), get it know, god knows maybe one day you'll bring us a RPG as big as the Ultima or Mass Effect series :).   Addendum: Just as a side note, I never gave up on my dream and right now I am on the fast track to getting a PhD in physics, something no one in my entire extended family can claim ^^ and it is my dream to work in the field so I will never give up.

Thanks alot I'll check that out :)

• GrahorGrahor aaaMember Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Robokapp  while likely true, you might be wrong. No point in crushing him.

I have a couple of friends (artists) who have designed, developed, created and even printed their own card game, wasted on it years of their lives and all their savings - only to end up with the game nobody ever bought because they had no idea what's that thing "marketing" is and how it all works.

Hell, I have a dear to my own heart design of my own game, which, one day, I will surely try to turn into a prototype, then pre-alpha, then, gods willing, may be, fingers crossed, some kind of a beta, if I'll find an artist I can kidnap and keep in my basement while he'll be working on game's art resources (because I have a snowball's chance in hell to be able to afford a real game artist otherwise). And I'm a pretty good programmer myself, so at least from this side it's covered.

But precisely because I'm kind of sort of working in the area, or at least in the general vicinity, I have a slight idea of the iterations of game's development. That's why my own design is kept in the dark closet of my heart.

People who ask those kinds of questions on the forum have no chances, period. It's better to stop them now while they haven't yet wasted significant portions of their lives.

• cenen7cenen7 somewhere, NYMember Posts: 53 Common

To that guy who said the idea is worthless, this isnt true.  I posted something very similair, well, a lon post with the actual design concept, some years ago.  I knew that without coding ability or anything similair i woulndt be able to make it.

Though, a few months ago i got over the fact that i had trouble understanding how programming worked in highschool(many years back) i started to teach myself some c#, c++.  I became obsessed and am currently coding a single player 2d pc game (id like to move into 3d soon) with all the progression concepts of my mmo ideas in mind.

My point is , that a gamer can have good ideas, and another thing i have figured out is that any idea is possible if you are able to code.  But the time required  to make a full game or mmorpg is a lot.  Im working alone on this game and it moves slow, but i learn in that time while developing it.

But if you do have the idea, and you want to make it, you need to make it,and i doubt (I dontknow much of how team development works) that a group of programmers are going to code a game based off of your idea, if theyre doing all the work.

• chromekatanachromekatana douglassvile, GAMember Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Omnifish  approach someone at a convention with a simple demo.  

Talking about conventions, there is, apparrently, a game developers conference going to be held March 25-29. I don't really know the details of it since I don't follow conventions and the like. And I think registration is stil open till March the 20(?).

The about page is here-

http://www.gdconf.com/aboutgdc/

It's to bad you don't have a playable demo but I think you could still learn a few things at a event like this.

Another website you may be interested in is here-

http://www.fastgraph.com/makegames/contents.html

It is kinda a 'get started' or 'how to' page about game developing.

And finally, here is a magazine about game developing

http://gdmag.com/

I only just googled around a little bit, so I don't know how relieable this stuff will be. Wish you luck though!

• MykellMykell MackayMember Posts: 645 Uncommon

If you have lore you could write a book and get it published.

You could pick a game engine like Unity but there are loads to choose from and learn how to use it. Then maybe use kickstarter to get some funding once you have something put together to show your ideas.

It may be an awesome idea but its now up to you to do something with it. You may fail, you may succeed, you will have set backs, you will need to be determined to see it through to have any chance of success.

You will also need to ask for advice but i'd suggest finding a community of budding indie game developers rather than this forum where your more likely to be trolled than helped. Here is a list of forums you could look through.

You will need to have realistic goals and learn how to set them. I'd say forget about making an mmo until you have some game development experience under your belt.

Good luck anyway.

Originally posted by Mykell
    If you have lore you could write a book and get it published. You could pick a game engine like Unity but there are loads to choose from and learn how to use it. Then maybe use kickstarter to get some funding once you have something put together to show your ideas. It may be an awesome idea but its now up to you to do something with it. You may fail, you may succeed, you will have set backs, you will need to be determined to see it through to have any chance of success. You will also need to ask for advice but i'd suggest finding a community of budding indie game developers rather than this forum where your more likely to be trolled than helped. Here is a list of forums you could look through. You will need to have realistic goals and learn how to set them. I'd say forget about making an mmo until you have some game development experience under your belt. Good luck anyway.  

That is the exact thing I have been thinking lately, It has a huge lore like warhammer or lord of the rings, that is why I feel like it could be promising in the hands of a programmer, I got the art and whole script part of it I dont see why it should be so imposible to create an rpg game

Indeed for mmos I'll need some experience

Hell I could even make a movie then a game, I'm already a director

Originally posted by chromekatana
    Originally posted by Omnifish  approach someone at a convention with a simple demo.  

Talking about conventions, there is, apparrently, a game developers conference going to be held March 25-29. I don't really know the details of it since I don't follow conventions and the like. And I think registration is stil open till March the 20(?).

The about page is here-

http://www.gdconf.com/aboutgdc/

It's to bad you don't have a playable demo but I think you could still learn a few things at a event like this.

Another website you may be interested in is here-

http://www.fastgraph.com/makegames/contents.html

It is kinda a 'get started' or 'how to' page about game developing.

And finally, here is a magazine about game developing

http://gdmag.com/

I only just googled around a little bit, so I don't know how relieable this stuff will be. Wish you luck though!

Checking them out

Thanks alot

Originally posted by Robokapp  while likely true, you might be wrong. No point in crushing him.

I have a couple of friends (artists) who have designed, developed, created and even printed their own card game, wasted on it years of their lives and all their savings - only to end up with the game nobody ever bought because they had no idea what's that thing "marketing" is and how it all works.

Hell, I have a dear to my own heart design of my own game, which, one day, I will surely try to turn into a prototype, then pre-alpha, then, gods willing, may be, fingers crossed, some kind of a beta, if I'll find an artist I can kidnap and keep in my basement while he'll be working on game's art resources (because I have a snowball's chance in hell to be able to afford a real game artist otherwise). And I'm a pretty good programmer myself, so at least from this side it's covered.

But precisely because I'm kind of sort of working in the area, or at least in the general vicinity, I have a slight idea of the iterations of game's development. That's why my own design is kept in the dark closet of my heart.

People who ask those kinds of questions on the forum have no chances, period. It's better to stop them now while they haven't yet wasted significant portions of their lives.

Meaning that you couldnt achieve it doesnt mean others in your situtation cant

Get over it and stop bashing stuff, you are saying you cant afford a real game artist, I designed everything an artist has to and all I need is someone to code stuff, that part I dont know

• adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSMember Posts: 2,058 Uncommon
    No one listens to ideas and says great, sign me up, just look at these forums for proof. If you want any part of the design process you either fund it yourself or you must have a resume with design related credentials on real commercial products. Just the facts.

Edit: or you have to be able to program a demo. But honestly idea people, good ones, operate on a diff wavelength than those who naturally take to complex programming. Its a sad situation.
  • NitthNitth AustraliaMember Posts: 3,903 Uncommon

www.gamedev.net Would be a good place to start.

My advice, Keep the details of your idea secret and talk about your 'systems' in an abstract manner.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare

I designed everything an artist has to and all I need is someone to code stuff, that part I dont know

Each person here will have a different takeaway from that statement based on their familiarity with game design/development.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NitthNitth AustraliaMember Posts: 3,903 Uncommon

Originally posted by adam_nox
    No one listens to ideas and says great, sign me up, just look at these forums for proof. I

They do when you use the right key words.

#DAoC #3 Factions #Sandbox #Player Housing #SWG #Full Loot

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development