Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I make money in this game?

2»

Comments

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

Take a lot of what you see here with a grain of salt. I just checked the price of a full Berserker Daraconic set on the TP, and it is 24.6 g, not 10 gold. You wont get a full set of any exotic gear for that kind of money. I'm not aware of any berserker items you can get for karma.

Then you need at least 2 ,  3 or more exotic weapons  depending on your play style. Crafted Berserker greatsword is 4.5g right now.

Then you have to factor in the cost of runes, which can be outrageous for the more popular ones. Figure anywhere from 1g to 10g per rune for anything that isn't crap.  Then sigils for your weapons at 1 to 4g on average or more.

Rings, earrings and neckpieces are also extremely expensive.

So anyone tellign you you can get a full set of exotics for 10g, 15g or any other ridiclously low number isn't being honest. Expect to spend minimum 50 to 100g or more  for a full set of exotic armor, jewels and weapons with the runes and sigils you want. Less for every item you can buy with karma, laurels, WVW badges, dungeon tokens or other currencies.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

Take a lot of what you see here with a grain of salt. I just checked the price of a full Berserker Daraconic set on the TP, and it is 24.6 g, not 10 gold. You wont get a full set of any exotic gear for that kind of money. I'm not aware of any berserker items you can get for karma.

Then you need at least 2 ,  3 or more exotic weapons  depending on your play style. Crafted Berserker greatsword is 4.5g right now.

Then you have to factor in the cost of runes, which can be outrageous for the more popular ones. Figure anywhere from 1g to 10g per rune for anything that isn't crap.  Then sigils for your weapons at 1 to 4g on average or more.

So anyone tellign you you can get a full set of exotics for 10g, 15g or any other ridiclously low number isn't being honest. Expect to spend minimum 50 to 100g or more  for a full set of exotic armor, jewels and weapons with the runes and sigils you want. Less for every item you can buy with karma, laurels, WVW badges, dungeon tokens or other currencies.

by 80 i generally have 300k+ karma so there's a few pieces.. i craft a few then buy the rest.. so overall doesn't take that much gold.. but yes it does depend on the set you are going for

on a side note there's really nothing in the game you can't do in a full set of 80s rares anyway

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

by 80 i generally have 300k+ karma so there's a few pieces.. i craft a few then buy the rest.. so overall doesn't take that much gold.. but yes it does depend on the set you are going for

on a side note there's really nothing in the game you can't do in a full set of 80s rares anyway

I had similiar results.  I leveled a thief primarly using AC dungeon and dailies.  By the time I was 80 I had almost 200K Karma and 700 + AC tokens.  Enough for a full set of exotics and weapons, combining Karma gear with AC gear/weapons.  Yes , it was a bit mix and match and I didnt get all berserker gear, but, I had enough to make me plenty powerful enough. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Good luck. With a system like GW2 there's a serious disparity between the very rich and the very poor so much so that the poor will take months to get to the stage one needs to get exotics easily. If you want something other then zerger's gear (if you are gearing) I'd suggest getting karma seems to be the only way to gear your toons without going broke with the broken TP they have going in this game. It's one of the many reasons I left this title behind.

Hopefully you won't run into what everyone's coined as the bad luck streak which is really just a nice way of saying DR. DR has been a terribad system in any game and causes artificial poverty by preventing drops from dropping off mobs. Good luck to you, hope the spirits of DR stay clear of your path.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Good luck. With a system like GW2 there's a serious disparity between the very rich and the very poor so much so that the poor will take months to get to the stage one needs to get exotics easily.

Considering all equivelent armor has the same base stats not sure how you can come up with a statement like that.

For your education - http://www.gw2armor.com/

just add the crafted rune of your choice that fits your playstyle...or do dailys or spend karma or whatever

This game is not WoW, where gold and raid gear is king. Spend 10 or 15 Gold and your lvl 80 exotic gears stats are as good as the 35G a piece gear. Only real difference is the cosmetics

I miss DAoC

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083
    I don't plan on buying gems just purely to swap for gold. The gem-gold ratio is too damn low.

buying gems is a horrible way to make gold way to expensive to be worth it..like said above stack explorer gear to up your magic find and get some omnom food to boost it up a lot..I'm at work so don't have the spots but just going around doing events with all that magic find can net you a decent amount of gold per hour...also look on YouTube some decent guides on there

So one hour of real life extra work gives less gold(through gem->gold transfers) than one hour of grinding gold?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083
    I don't plan on buying gems just purely to swap for gold. The gem-gold ratio is too damn low.

buying gems is a horrible way to make gold way to expensive to be worth it..like said above stack explorer gear to up your magic find and get some omnom food to boost it up a lot..I'm at work so don't have the spots but just going around doing events with all that magic find can net you a decent amount of gold per hour...also look on YouTube some decent guides on there

So one hour of real life extra work gives less gold(through gem->gold transfers) than one hour of grinding gold?

you can make plenty in 10 minutes in game.. buying with real money is not worth it imho unless you are very lazy or just have a lot of money

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    playing the game tho the economi is hard right now lot of stuff is way expencive ,best way to do is RMT whit your friends Anet.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    heh my last post was at 6:26. Statrted with 1 gold in my pocket and played the trading post. Finished with 2G 10S 43 C. It ain't hard

I miss DAoC

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Depends on how much somebody gets paid, I suppose.  That works on a lot of things though.  Theoretically me working overtime and eating out works better than me spending the time cooking my own food, but the experience of cooking and enjoying my own food is severely degraded.

Instead of reading a book, I could pay somebody to tell me how it ends, with the money I make by working those hours instead.... but.... I dunno.  Seems weird to me.

Some people would rather pay so they can avoid gameplay, I'd rather play a game even if it's a less efficient use of time vs money.

Honestly, I'm not sure what your point here is.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Good luck. With a system like GW2 there's a serious disparity between the very rich and the very poor so much so that the poor will take months to get to the stage one needs to get exotics easily. If you want something other then zerger's gear (if you are gearing) I'd suggest getting karma seems to be the only way to gear your toons without going broke with the broken TP they have going in this game. It's one of the many reasons I left this title behind.

Hopefully you won't run into what everyone's coined as the bad luck streak which is really just a nice way of saying DR. DR has been a terribad system in any game and causes artificial poverty by preventing drops from dropping off mobs. Good luck to you, hope the spirits of DR stay clear of your path.

?  You may have some point with DR.  I haven't run into it, but I don't really grind, or play enough in a row.

... but if you exaggerate blatantly to the point where it's obviously not true, then that sort of sullies your whole point.  I explained, in detail, exactly how you can completely outfit outfit yourself in exotics and ascended from head to toe, within 20 casual days of reaching level 80, and have about 30 =guaranteed= gold.  Gold that isn't affected by DR.

You can hit level 80 in about 10 days of casual play, so that's 30 days (A single month) to be head to toes in exotics, with a healthy bank account.

Anybody who takes months (Multiple) to be getting exotics is either hardly playing at all, or something is going horribly, tragically wrong.

I have friends who were fully outfitted in exotics within a week of the game starting.

I have a friend who started at the beginning of December, and within a week or two had full exotics.  They probably play more seriously than most people, but it's not really hard.  (And that would be somebody who had to contend with the full weight of DR by that point in time)

Because of your problems (I'll assume they're real) with DR, you're exaggerating in such a way that is seriously hurting your point.  Exotics are easy to get.  Ridiculously easy, compared to any other MMO I've ever seen, for what is top tier gear.

Stick to facts, if you're going to complain about DR.  I mean, I guess you could maybe argue that if the way you play is sheerly through grinding mobs, it'll take forever to get exotics?  That might be true.  I haven't tried playing the game that way, honestly.  ... but it's easy to get gear, and it's easy to get gold.  I explained how.  I'm currently up to 250 gold, despite having put 20 gold to help my guild get more influence.

It's a pretty big jump from the last time I Mentioned my gold (150 or so), because I finally gave in and sold all the lodestones I didn't want, and some exotics I wasn't using.  That was a shockingly large amount of money to get all at once. :P

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

Just my quick 2c.

Fractals.  I just started doing these regularly for the backpack and rings.  I found myself making a ton of cash.  I've had runs  where I ended up with 7 rares, and exotic armor piece, and of course fractal relics plus bags full of greens/blues to vendor.

Dungeons.  Cof p1 takes 7-14 mins depending on skill.  You get 60 tokens which you can use to buy 2 rare L70 armor pieces.  Of course you know that you can salvage these with master salvage kit for ectos and runes that you can sell on the TP.  Cof p2 is also very quick.

WvW. Running around in a big zerg capturing a map will load you up with karma/xp/cash.  Quick and ez.  Few guildies do nothing but WvW and they have more cash than they will need (barring quest for legendaries).

Now if you have multiple L80 chars you can do fractals and dungeon runs per char, per day, and end up with loads of gear & gold.