Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard cant do no wrong.

123457»

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Everytime I see this post on the site I smile because I love the title!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I dunno, I don't think they could do anything worse than single handedly destroy the mmorpg genre.

WoW delivered a very decent game good for a lot op poeple. The sort of option you want in your genre. Then came the suits who decided making clones of the concept was an awsome idea instead of being original.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Wanting to see a new game come long that gets AAA development time that has something totally new for me in the MMO genre.   Not just some new features and twists on old formulas.   Something new. 

If it is totally new, it should not even be a MMO.

Destiny has something new.

Defiance also has something new .... tie in with a tv show .. although the game part is pretty much straight MMO.

Destiny will likely tank (console exclusive, PS4 only I think).

Defiance will likely blow its own ass out trying to be too unique and failing at the gameplay.

Btw Destiny is touted to be a MMO of sorts so I wouldn't say "shouldn't even be a MMO".

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

I kind of get why blizzard games were popular once upon a time. I mean I get that warcraft was good for it's time, diablo and starcraft too but I don't understand why they remain so popular when they fail to keep up with better features being introduced into the various genres over time. I can even understand why WoW which few would claim was innovative was popular but seven years on and it's still the most popular MMO, really? Or starcraft II being one of the most popular RTS games and for a long time, really?

The sad thing is I think the OPs original sentiment is right, Blizzard can seem to do nothing wrong, they don't keep up with the pack yet their games are among the most popular games ever released.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    It is a rare a business is successful being the inventive one...typically the business comes along behind that one takes that invention and refines it without having to pay for the innovation is the successful one.
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Mustarastas

I admit that I have had some fun with games but:

Wolrd of Warcraft is a Disneyland rather than proper roleplaying environment. The toons look childish, and the environment and lore remind me of Donald Duck cartoon.

Income means a game is good? Income means the game is innovative?

every *** damn mmo nowadays is a disneyland. you just have played it too much now and burned out and try to force with words not to go back, it happens dude with every game you overplay.

Originally posted by Horusra
    It is a rare a business is successful being the inventive one...typically the business comes along behind that one takes that invention and refines it without having to pay for the innovation is the successful one.

It's not that rare for video games or for business. I think it's rare for video game sequels to continue to be innovative when their predecessor was. Likewise I also think it's rare for a business that was innovative to change a winning formula but it's not rare for innovation to be successful, infact it is common place. Now I will concede there is a difference between being successful and dominating a market but the point remains, innovation often leads to success.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Wanting to see a new game come long that gets AAA development time that has something totally new for me in the MMO genre.   Not just some new features and twists on old formulas.   Something new. 

If it is totally new, it should not even be a MMO.

Destiny has something new.

Defiance also has something new .... tie in with a tv show .. although the game part is pretty much straight MMO.

Destiny will likely tank (console exclusive, PS4 only I think).

Defiance will likely blow its own ass out trying to be too unique and failing at the gameplay.

Btw Destiny is touted to be a MMO of sorts so I wouldn't say "shouldn't even be a MMO".

Whether they tank or not .. does not detract from the fact that these are risky, new AAA efforts. In fact, these are good evidence that devs are taking risks.

Destiny is not a MMO. Read what Bungie has said.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ozmono

I kind of get why blizzard games were popular once upon a time. I mean I get that warcraft was good for it's time, diablo and starcraft too but I don't understand why they remain so popular when they fail to keep up with better features being introduced into the various genres over time. I can even understand why WoW which few would claim was innovative was popular but seven years on and it's still the most popular MMO, really? Or starcraft II being one of the most popular RTS games and for a long time, really?

The sad thing is I think the OPs original sentiment is right, Blizzard can seem to do nothing wrong, they don't keep up with the pack yet their games are among the most popular games ever released.

You don't get it .. does not mean that there is no reason. In fact, i can see tons of reasons. The foremost is that many find Blizz games fun.

SC2 is fun, not because it completely changes things, but because it is polished, well crafted, balanced with modern tech.

D3 is fun because they nailed the combat, and willing to continue to invest. Just look at D3 population graph on xfire. Whenever there is a major patch, the population shot up. It also took risks and put in a totally different skill system (which personally i like much better than skill trees ... much more fun variations of builds, and more viable builds).

Again, sad for you .. fun for many. My guess is that the next SC, and the next D3 expansions will be big sellers.

Originally posted by ozmono

You don't get it .. does not mean that there is no reason. In fact, i can see tons of reasons. The foremost is that many find Blizz games fun.

SC2 is fun, not because it completely changes things, but because it is polished, well crafted, balanced with modern tech.

D3 is fun because they nailed the combat, and willing to continue to invest. Just look at D3 population graph on xfire. Whenever there is a major patch, the population shot up. It also took risks and put in a totally different skill system (which personally i like much better than skill trees ... much more fun variations of builds, and more viable builds).

Again, sad for you .. fun for many. My guess is that the next SC, and the next D3 expansions will be big sellers.

You might find this odd since you felt the need to post what you did but I don't disagree with anything you said. I even think SC2 is sort of fun or atleast I would had other far superior (my opinion ofcourse) games not ruined it for me. Sad for me yes, because I think they are dragging their feet and the whole industry suffers but I'm fully aware it's fun for many.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Blizzard makes amazing cut scenes and commercials.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Briansho
    Blizzard makes amazing cut scenes and commercials.

Who doesn't love commercials with Mr T and Chuch Norris?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville