Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: SpaceTime Studios - A Big Fish in a Small Pond

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

SpaceTime Studios is one of the most successful development houses for mobile MMOs with several already published. In today's Independency, we take a look at this idea and offer a few of our thoughts. See what we've got in mind before heading to the forums to discuss!

For those unfamiliar with the Spacetime Studios, the company was founded in 2005 by a bunch of veteran MMO (are they ever fresh-faced teenagers anymore?) developers. After facing some hurdles in regards to the creation of a PC sci-fi MMO called MMO, the group eventually went on to make Pocket Legends. It worked. The game was a hit. From April 2010 to May 2011, Pocket Legends enjoyed an expansive 4 million downloads. And while everything can always be better, Spacetime Studios managed to carve a niche for themselves in a market framed by angry poultry and strange, jump-happy creatures.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Independency: SpaceTime Studios - A Big Fish in a Small Pond.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The games this company produces are almost unplayable. You have to pay to do almost anything in them, and on top of that even for a mobile game they all feel cheap for having a company this big (apparently) making them. They are all just reskinned versions of themselves to make more money off of each specific group of people who will download whichever kind of game they are. 
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Their games are terrible.  Even for mobile.  Order and Chaos is miles above and beyond any of the stuff churned out by Spacetime Studios.

Steam: Neph

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Why do the staff at MMORPG act as if Space Time Studios is the best thing in the world? They are no where even close! Their games are terrible! Like Nephaerius said Order and Chaos is probably the best MMO for mobile tablets.

Smile

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

I feel the same way.... about blizzard and WoW. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its not a hit.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

The games aren't terrible for Mobile. It's kinda hard to mess-up a game people play on the toilet (my chief source of playtime).

What bothers me is that some of their games are more successful than PC-based MMOs with much larger funding. I'm not saying that they're the greatest company in the world with amazing games (they're pretty much reskins of the original, which is meh), but more established companies could really learn a thing or two from them.