Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: The Gathering Storm Comprehensive Preview

Comments

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

double post  : /
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    why not just give exotics and full traits to everyone at level one? Why should anyone have to work for anything? This way it gives all players a chance to experience the content and gives things for people to work towards

Wow, what a tired old argument this is...

I don't think anyone wants stuff handed to them for free..  As a matter o fact, if they did, I'm sure one of the mega-guilds would let them join no questions asked.  image

Would have been nice if ANET had the forethought of allowing smaller guilds to "gate" in at a lower level, with less rewards. We'll get there eventually, i guess i just don't see the logic in it all.

if you read up on official forums they did consider this and are evaluating small guild cost...they wanted guild quest to be something a guild works for but also make it accessible so they are trying to find a good way to balance this

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    why not just give exotics and full traits to everyone at level one? Why should anyone have to work for anything? This way it gives all players a chance to experience the content and gives things for people to work towards

I don't think anyone wants stuff handed to them for free..  As a matter o fact, if they did, I'm sure one of the mega-guilds would let them join no questions asked.  image

Would have been nice if ANET had the forethought of allowing smaller guilds to "gate" in at a lower level, with less rewards. We'll get there eventually, i guess i just don't see the logic in it all.

if you read up on official forums they did consider this and are evaluating small guild cost...they wanted guild quest to be something a guild works for but also make it accessible so they are trying to find a good way to balance this

This is the point I m trying to make. Why not think of this stuff before hand.

Originally posted by Deto123

who said they didn't?... Still find it funny people here always feel they know best on how to implement every new feature for a game...new features when first released are very much in a widespread testing phase and as problems come up its up to devs to come up with appropriate fixes

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Thats why i said forethought.

Balance it?  Easy. People love the word "progression" in MMOs, well, make progressive guild missions.

That way i'm not standing in LA like a dope spamming guild recruitment, while the larger guilds are asking if folks want to join in on a mission, with rewards, reduced waypoint costs, and all the fixxins...

who do you think is going to get the first response? Certainly not the dope.

I didnt think it was all that difficult : /

who said they didn't?... Still find it funny people here always feel they know best on how to implement every new feature for a game...new features when first released are very much in a widespread testing phase and as problems come up its up to devs to come up with appropriate fixes

Really? Crap I would have never thought that. This is an obvious duh, moment on the devs part. If they did think of it before hand, why did they release it as is. I mean come on, the costs, one had to know it was too high. I see they can t do any wrong to you though, I still maintain it was a stupid idea.

Thats why i said forethought.

Balance it?  Easy. People love the word "progression" in MMOs, well, make progressive guild missions.

That way i'm not standing in LA like a dope spamming guild recruitment, while the larger guilds are asking if folks want to join in on a mission, with rewards, reduced waypoint costs, and all the fixxins...

who do you think is going to get the first response? Certainly not the dope.

I didnt think it was all that difficult : /

maybe you should work for anet as you seem to know better than them on how to make their game..their website says they are hiring:)

maybe you should work for anet as you seem to know better than them on how to make their game..their website says they are hiring:)

Hardly a game designer, more of a common sense guy.

But since this seems to be getting personal, and off-topic, I'll stop now.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The crazy influence cost  that people are talking about could be overcome in a day.

A guild of 10 people could do all AC paths 3 times (6 hours max) and have more than enough money to spend on influence.

A guild of 5 people could do all AC paths 5 times (10 hours max) and have more than enough gold to spend on influence.

And there are PLENTY of equally effective ways of earning that money.

This could have EASILY been done over the 4 days since the announcement. Instead, we see more and more posts about how unfair the influence cost is.

And so they potentially lower it to 30k. And still people complain about the costs...

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Its funny how your first reactions to people with small guilds complaining the price was to high was that they were asking for something completely ridiculous. But now you've found out A-net themselves are responding to the criticism and looking to do the guild event pricing differently, you are still touting A-net as the geniuses here. So which is it? Did A-net make a possible misstep with the pricing and the players are correct and A-net is doing the right thing and rectifying this problem? Or are these players a bunch of entitlement crybabies and A-net is  wrongfully knuckling under to them? Because it can't be both.

Here's what I think. A-net set the price too high for their more casual players and these causal players gave them feedback they don't like this. A-net is doing the sensible thing and trying to adapt a more fair approach. Which I think is great as it shows they care about what their customers want out of their game. Sadly though your burning need to jump on anyone who criticizes this game is actually helping to make A-net look like dicks for doing the right thing, or worse, fools. So might I recommend you tone your "Rah rah A-net" down a notch and let A-net decide for themselves if they've made a mistake or not.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Originally posted by Vorch

The crazy influence cost  that people are talking about could be overcome in a day. A guild of 10 people could do all AC paths 3 times (6 hours max) and have more than enough money to spend on influence.A guild of 5 people could do all AC paths 5 times (10 hours max) and have more than enough gold to spend on influence.And there are PLENTY of equally effective ways of earning that money.This could have EASILY been done over the 4 days since the announcement. Instead, we see more and more posts about how unfair the influence cost is.And so they potentially lower it to 30k. And still people complain about the costs...

way to much work for most people it seems..doesn't matter they could adjust the price to dynamically change the cost based on guild size and people would still complain

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Its funny how your first reactions to people with small guilds complaining the price was to high was that they were asking for something completely ridiculous. But now you've found out A-net themselves are responding to the criticism and looking to do the guild event pricing differently, you are still touting A-net as the geniuses here. So which is it? Did A-net make a possible misstep with the pricing and the players are correct and A-net is doing the right thing and rectifying this problem? Or are these players a bunch of entitlement crybabies and A-net is  wrongfully knuckling under to them? Because it can't be both.

Here's what I think. A-net set the price too high for their more casual players and these causal players gave them feedback they don't like this. A-net is doing the sensible thing and trying to adapt a more fair approach. Which I think is great as it shows they care about what their customers want out of their game. Sadly though your burning need to jump on anyone who criticizes this game is actually helping to make A-net look like dicks for doing the right thing, or worse, fools. So might I recommend you tone your "Rah rah A-net" down a notch and let A-net decide for themselves if they've made a mistake or not.

funny because letting anet decide what works best for the majority of players based on feedback is exactly what I said.. Glad we agree

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Wow, what an awesome update! Seriously can't believe these changes, apparently some developers actually DO want to try new things.

funny because letting anet decide what works best for the majority of players based on feedback is exactly what I said.. Glad we agree

Lol, you re too priceless. Take your 17+ posts a day average, and maybe see some sunlight. Arguing with you is like arguing with a 10 year old, saying why, why, why to everything.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Yeah EVENTUALLY, right after you found out that A-net did something contrary to your original opinion. So please, if you can't act more mature than this and admit your initial kneejerk reaction was wrong, please stop defending this game because you are doing A-net a massive disservice.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    if you want to implement and try and cool new feature you do not piss off half your playerbase in the process and then wonder why they are all mad at you. Its common sense if the costs are way to high for smaller guilds to enjoy the feature then its going to get a negative reaction. For all the good this patch is bringing this is a glaring issue and will be until they change and scale the prices to be in line with the different guild sizes. If they take months to balance it , they will continue to get negative views on it. Im still looking around on the official forums to see where people here are saying they are saying they will adjust the prices I do not see a response on the dev posts at all about it . Please link this response as I do not see it anywhere and am looking for it.

Yeah EVENTUALLY, right after you found out that A-net did something contrary to your original opinion. So please, if you can't act more mature than this and admit your initial kneejerk reaction was wrong, please stop defending this game because you are doing A-net a massive disservice.

how was my first reaction wrong they had already lowered the cost, i had read the thread well before i started posting on this thread.. doesn't change how the guild quests will work in any way shape or form.. every MMO releases new features that always need constant tweaking and work just how the games are.. just gets tiring when any new feature for any game comes out you see a list of people bash the feature and feel they could of implemented it better if they were in charge, and  generally its on a game they don't even play.. happens all the time for every game.

anyway people need to really lighten up its new content,  anet has been releasing new content every month since release.. can't think of any MMO out that has done that yet.. so ill keep on enjoying the game as the stream of content keeps on coming.. when it dries up or I get bored ill move on to another game..

also find it interesting you dont have any issue with people bashing a new feature to a game they have never tried or seen in action...

Originally posted by cronius77
    if you want to implement and try and cool new feature you do not piss off half your playerbase in the process and then wonder why they are all mad at you. Its common sense if the costs are way to high for smaller guilds to enjoy the feature then its going to get a negative reaction. For all the good this patch is bringing this is a glaring issue and will be until they change and scale the prices to be in line with the different guild sizes. If they take months to balance it , they will continue to get negative views on it. Im still looking around on the official forums to see where people here are saying they are saying they will adjust the prices I do not see a response on the dev posts at all about it . Please link this response as I do not see it anywhere and am looking for it.

game sold over 3 million copies... the vocal minority is hardly half the playerbase.. ill try to find the thread on the prices again

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

People are literally talking about 6 hours worth of work for a guild of 10; 10 hours worth of work for a guild of 5.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

game sold over 3 million copies... the vocal minority is hardly half the playerbase.. ill try to find the thread on the prices again

you know for a fact this pisses off a lot more than the vocal minority on the forums not the entire playerbase is in large guilds. Come on now lets be fair here and objective , also thanks I would like to see the link as they seem to be dodging it pretty well on the forums now.

you know for a fact this pisses off a lot more than the vocal minority on the forums not the entire playerbase is in large guilds. Come on now lets be fair here and objective , also thanks I would like to see the link as they seem to be dodging it pretty well on the forums now.

think it was an interview with the devs on one of the mmo websites ill try and track it down.. but also even in a small guild the amount of time it would take to build up enough influence would take little time at all

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Considering you can be in multiple guilds at the same time, I see no problem.

And any guild with some 5-10 active players will generate 5-10K influence per week.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I am so happy they introduced matchmaking. This will make things much much better for spvp, can't wait to get in there.

this isn't the exact one i was thinking about but it gives an idea they are trying ot test this out on a large scale basis to see what they need to adjust

http://dragonseason.com/Front/tabid/124/EntryId/210/Lunch-with-Colin-Johanson.aspx

Some of us have small guilds, we don’t have 500 members and some challenges could prove quite hard. Are we going to see any collaboration mechanisms set in place?

Colin: Our hope will be that [collaborations] will kinda dynamically come out of this as sort of emergent gameplay. The bounties, for example, have different tiers so there’s a small tier that you can do - even small guilds can get those - you’ve got three bosses in three zones so maybe 10-15 people can do that, a small guild, and you can pick which tier you want to kick off based on how many people you’ve got online. Maybe one of the things that will come out of that is “our guild is going to do the tier 3 bounty which takes a lot more people to do, so let’s get 3 guilds together and our guild will kick one off and you’ll help us do ours and then you’ll kick one off and we’ll help us do yours” and the 3 guilds all work together to accomplish [it]. I think that kind of emergent gameplay hopefully will come out of that for sure. We don’t really know what to expect just because it is so hard to test internally to see what guilds are going to do [when all this goes] live. So, some of this is going to [emerge] when we put it out and we’re just going to see how guilds interact with it and what they do and then it will help us determine what other features and additions we need to work on.

Lol, you re too priceless. Take your 17+ posts a day average, and maybe see some sunlight. Arguing with you is like arguing with a 10 year old, saying why, why, why to everything.

at work bored.. sue me. but also you guys are complaining over something you have no idea how will play out or work in game.. why not try it out first before you whine about it being a dumb or stupid idea.