Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Voice and Choice

13»

Comments

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by murphmaster01

If it was any other company I would be worried.Bethesda already has a very large roster of voice actors just from the previous games. No hunting new talent needed aside from important characters. Many of these actors already know thier voices (nord bard 1 and windhelm gaurd 3 will be in skyrim and eso, garuntee it) as well so that helps. Now if they were creating a completely new world then it could be difficult.Also bethesda has deep deep pockets. That can front the bill no problem, probably an entire team just to making questing and talking to npc's immersive and enjoyable. That team has no bearing on game developement when you have enough money. Seriously people have some ****ing faith.

Except Todd Howard and Bethesda arent making ESO.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• PrincessRosellaPrincessRosella Member UncommonPosts: 6

i think they will do a good job on the story. my issues that i am apprehensive about is 1: how is the combat system going to be like?

- it will not be true elder scrolls if its the cut and paste generic console used in every other mmorpg that uses hotkeys to fascilitate combat. while i not against use of it in general for quick use of high use inventory items, i think that if its to be elder scrolls it must maintain the combat system used in elder scrolls since arena (although it has advanced much farther then what it was then). if my attacks are purely hit/miss by a roll of a dice then to me it wont be fun. i like games where i hit and miss based on how i swing, distance to target, and how target reads my moves.

2. will players say from ebonheart pact be able to travel and visit areas of other alliances?

- for the first game to allow travel to all territories since arena i think it would be a negative to force players to create 3 characters to view the entire tamriel continent. although i see why they want to do 3 way fight making such as a reason to limit those who wish to travel to all corners of tamriel would be detrimental to such as myself. now i dont know all the particulars of the combat system but since the alliances are desiring to control the imperial throne i do not see why allowing players to freely travel to other territories outside thier alliance would be an issue. personally i think it would be cool for me as a dark elf to travel to summerset isle as a spell-sword merc guarding a trade caravan. heck i say even allow cross alliance guilds where caravans could be transporting goods between guild halls and such.

in closing i think the only way eso will succeed will be to be different then other mmorpgs of the same class. i like how they have revealed the story be interesting trying to figure out the best choices to keep morrowind free of the empire. and hope to see you all in the game.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by IrishDrinkertheTroll
    Originally posted by OnisDE

Static recordings of actors tacked onto puppets sucks. Innovate! why not implement some of these high end text to speech systems that have emotions, accents, etc... Give npc's a real brain and plugin a purpose. NPC's with free though perofrming real life actions, truely interacting with each other and cooperating to accomplish tasks, combined with the ability to say what they want?!? Unscripted but guided. That's where Mythic should have spent all that cash. Coming up with these kinds of engines setting writers free to create atomsphere and conditions and purpose, allowing the sub plots to write themselves! A world with real day and night cycles, weather systems and animals that  have an effect on the environment and structures.

Player to Player driven quests! Player 1 finds an NPC rebuilding his flood damaged cabin. NPC asks player 1 to help get him some wood for the repairs and he'll give him some coin(and of course you'll get xp for completing as well). Player 1 heads out to gather wood. Along comes Player 2 and the NPC asks hime to help Player 1. And guess what?! You cant send a /tell. The only way you can communicate in game is the way youy do in real life. /yell HEY Player 1 where are you?  And guess what , since your using a text to speech engine, customizable voices!  So here I am Player 1 gathering wood and I hear in the distance HEY Player 1 where are you? The NPC tells Player 2, Player 1 went south, and that's it, no magically appear lines to follow. Now thats immersive. Truely next gen, truely immersive.

Ah, see.  I don't care much about VO.  What I care most about, is the world changing.  I mean, EVERYONE does quest 1... then quest 2, and later, Still killing Malfigor the Dreaded.....

why?  Have unique quests.  Have UNIQUE people, that once killed, don't respawn.  Have player driven markets, rather then NPC's you can sell anything to, and not an AH, cause those are dumb, but literally have PC's in town, peddling wares.  A tomb gets raided?  Then that Tome is raided.... no respawned treasure, no ability to raid it later.. it is done.  Later, when quests are done... then it will shift focus to the actual war that is going on.  Allow raids into Daggerfall, or raids into the Summerset Isle.  What if the Queen of the Aldmeri dies?  A player will need to take over the position, maybe a vote for it.... allow STORY to go.  I want ROLEPLAYING.  I want the Title of MMORPG back.  

THIS is what I would love to see, and would spend loads of money on.  A game where players can build new cities, war's can be declared, familys can be raised and broken, taitors to a cause have to actually SPEAK with players in charge, and betray their own kind.... 

To me, TES is a RPG adventure game.  I always Roleplayed my character, from Arena to Skyrim.  So I agree with the above.  A game SHOULD be alive, and ever changing.

Many of us are dreaming of such an MMO but it is doubtful if one would be created. Why? Because it wont sell massive number of copies.

The average MMO player, now, wants to be able to raid every tomb, wants to be able to get the best gear and wants thing to be easy and casual. He does not want to put an effort in and use his brain, that takes too much effort.

So the gaming companies do what they are made for, make money by creating simplistic garbage which will sell millions of copies. And who is to blame for this? Blizzard.

They created the first dumbed down, easy mode MMORPG and brought in millions of casual gamers and now they are the main target audience, not us.

The F2P trend is making matters worse. Now you can put in even less effort and buy yourself advantages with RL money...

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by velmax
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    As long as its not over done like SWToR I am happy to hear this. I did enjoy VO in SWToR and would have liked ited it more if it was more impacting what you decided. 

I have to disagree with you, you had the power of life or death in your hand, thats pretty impacting.

Not on the actual plot itself. You just went to the next world and as far as the development of the story went your choices meant nothing. To a degree, it has to be that way in an MMO, but why waste so much time with voice acting on every choice and option when it penultimately means nothing? I prefer voice acting, but I'd rather they spend more money on game development and save the voice acting for dramatically appropriate points in the storylines.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Static recordings of actors tacked onto puppets sucks. Innovate! why not implement some of these high end text to speech systems that have emotions, accents, etc... Give npc's a real brain and plugin a purpose. NPC's with free though perofrming real life actions, truely interacting with each other and cooperating to accomplish tasks, combined with the ability to say what they want?!? Unscripted but guided. That's where Mythic should have spent all that cash. Coming up with these kinds of engines setting writers free to create atomsphere and conditions and purpose, allowing the sub plots to write themselves! A world with real day and night cycles, weather systems and animals that  have an effect on the environment and structures.

Player to Player driven quests! Player 1 finds an NPC rebuilding his flood damaged cabin. NPC asks player 1 to help get him some wood for the repairs and he'll give him some coin(and of course you'll get xp for completing as well). Player 1 heads out to gather wood. Along comes Player 2 and the NPC asks hime to help Player 1. And guess what?! You cant send a /tell. The only way you can communicate in game is the way youy do in real life. /yell HEY Player 1 where are you?  And guess what , since your using a text to speech engine, customizable voices!  So here I am Player 1 gathering wood and I hear in the distance HEY Player 1 where are you? The NPC tells Player 2, Player 1 went south, and that's it, no magically appear lines to follow. Now thats immersive. Truely next gen, truely immersive.

The engine you're talking about, when added to an MMO, would create a game that no computer can run lol. If you want player driven content in an MMO, then you have to create it yourself. That's why MMOs have RP communities. If this is what you want, then choose an MMO, join its RP community, and go make it up for yourself. I'll wave to you as I head off to go PvP, which is my thing in MMOs.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I don't claim to be an expert in storytelling or dramatization. But when I look at computer games, especially MMOs, the stories and quests all suck. Sorry, but it's how I feel about it. I mean, a MMO and a single player game can still be fun, despite the sucky stories, cliche characters and super boring dialogues. But that's how I see it.

Therefore the question if MMOs have text windows a la WOW or VO videos a la SWTOR is totally trivial to me, because in both cases I DONT THE HECK CARE, because the story and dialogues of MMOs are usually on the level of some fandom!

All those stories, dialogues and quests are so forseeable and super cliche. I just can't bring myself to care. Sure, there are a few exceptions here and there. And trust me, I LOVE to read. I have a huge library and read many books, novels the same as non-finction. But I want to read (or hear) GOOD text, interesting text and cool dialogues and sorry MMOs DO NOT HAVE IT.

Hence I could care less if boring cliche fandom stories happen in text or VO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by nightfallrob

The engine you're talking about, when added to an MMO, would create a game that no computer can run lol. If you want player driven content in an MMO, then you have to create it yourself. That's why MMOs have RP communities. If this is what you want, then choose an MMO, join its RP community, and go make it up for yourself. I'll wave to you as I head off to go PvP, which is my thing in MMOs.

You’re Right! And that the problem! And you're not alone in that line of thinking. Publishers concede to these very same limitations based on predefined models of how an MMO should function developed over a decade ago. If I built a house and kept remodeling it, you know. Changed the siding, gave it a new paint job, even knocked a huge hole in the wall and stuck in a bay window. When you look at the before and after, yes of course it looks completely different. It even has some new features like pocket doors instead of doors that swing open. But when you go to bed that night and wake up, despite all those changes it still has that familiar feeling. It still feels like the same WoW, I mean house. Until publishers and developers fundamentally change the way they approach the development process and stop trying to wedge players into a pre-defined narrative which hand holds you through the story line in a scripted environment, the genre will continue to be stuck in a rut. The publisher that stops delivering pop-up book CandyLandesque racing board style MMO’s will have a real Titan on their hands! (pun intended)

• PrincessRosellaPrincessRosella Member UncommonPosts: 6
    OnisDE i agree. its why i play  wizard101. although its not perfect at least i dont get bored of it cause it the same as all the other mmorpgs out there. that why i hope to freaking god that they return to the roots of es. and no i not talking about morrowind although it was one of the better es games. no i talking about the roots where you had to solve puzzles and such to advance the story. fuck this go here kill tenth goblins return to me bullshit. i liked things like in kings quest 6 you had to solve puzzles in a catacombs where one mistake cost your life. or kings quest 1 where if you didnt have specific items at certain points you died. that made life more fun. gaming shouldn't be lets sit down and just kill things. anyone ever watch the .hack anime based on the games? was more then just running around and killing things. yeh all those games are older games sure but shouldnt that just mean the puzzles are better graphically? a year ago i was visiting my family and i had my laptop and bhd cd with my. i had my niece at 6 playing bhd online against adult players who played the game for about a decade now. it was funny watching her. but know what even though she couldnt figure out how to run and shoot at same time nor how to shoot any direction but straight up and down she had fun. this last year i found and downloaded some old classics such as rescue rangers castle of nimnul. my niece and her cousins all put down thier leapsters to play the game? why cause the game was so much better in so many ways then leapster games. kids like challenges sure they cannot do the same difficulty as us adults but kids i know like the games that dont hold thier hand throughout the game.

• Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by IrishDrinkertheTroll

Ah, see.  I don't care much about VO.  What I care most about, is the world changing.  I mean, EVERYONE does quest 1... then quest 2, and later, Still killing Malfigor the Dreaded.....

why?  Have unique quests.  Have UNIQUE people, that once killed, don't respawn.  Have player driven markets, rather then NPC's you can sell anything to, and not an AH, cause those are dumb, but literally have PC's in town, peddling wares.  A tomb gets raided?  Then that Tome is raided.... no respawned treasure, no ability to raid it later.. it is done.  Later, when quests are done... then it will shift focus to the actual war that is going on.  Allow raids into Daggerfall, or raids into the Summerset Isle.  What if the Queen of the Aldmeri dies?  A player will need to take over the position, maybe a vote for it.... allow STORY to go.  I want ROLEPLAYING.  I want the Title of MMORPG back.  

THIS is what I would love to see, and would spend loads of money on.  A game where players can build new cities, war's can be declared, familys can be raised and broken, taitors to a cause have to actually SPEAK with players in charge, and betray their own kind.... 

To me, TES is a RPG adventure game.  I always Roleplayed my character, from Arena to Skyrim.  So I agree with the above.  A game SHOULD be alive, and ever changing.

Many of us are dreaming of such an MMO but it is doubtful if one would be created. Why? Because it wont sell massive number of copies.

The average MMO player, now, wants to be able to raid every tomb, wants to be able to get the best gear and wants thing to be easy and casual. He does not want to put an effort in and use his brain, that takes too much effort.

So the gaming companies do what they are made for, make money by creating simplistic garbage which will sell millions of copies. And who is to blame for this? Blizzard.

They created the first dumbed down, easy mode MMORPG and brought in millions of casual gamers and now they are the main target audience, not us.

The F2P trend is making matters worse. Now you can put in even less effort and buy yourself advantages with RL money...

I agree.. yes.  I was part of a Lore team for a Volunteer MMO, that was supposed to be just that.  A RP required, MMO for Roleplayers.  Numbers would be invisable, there would be caps on how many skills you could level a day, and it was supposed to have limited NPC's.  Mostly hired guards to protect stores, farms or things of that sort.  

Alas, the game went on a shelf, and while some of the community is trying a much smaller scale of it (a single country as opposed to an entire continent with about 8), again, most the people have lives, and jobs, and so the game is quite slow on the development. 

I don't want another WoW clone.  I want something unique and risky.  I know with so many F2P, and others, that this might never happen, or will only happen when people STOP buying cookie cutter games, but I am hoping that ESO is more like Arena or Daggerfall with skyrim graphics, and less like WoW with ES skin.

• Dagon-KahnDagon-Kahn Member Posts: 7
    Do it like Fable. Like a boss.